Dementia is now the second leading cause of death in Australia.
It impacts the lives of many Australians.
It is a major reason why people use healthcare services.
Approximately 42,000 Western Australians are living with dementia.
This number is expected to rise to over 107,000 by 2058.
Curtin enAble Institute is building a Dementia Centre of Excellence.
We are able to do this because of a generous grant of $10 million from the Federal Government.
We will do research that will:
- improve dementia care
- promote mental wellbeing in people living with dementia
- look at the side effects of medication taken by people with dementia
- reduce the risk of falls in people with dementia
- explore the connection between dementia and other conditions e.g. Parkinson’s disease, hearing loss
Our researchers will work closely with:
- people living with dementia
- families of people with dementia
- people who work with people with dementia and their families
This will mean that what we do:
- can be used immediately
- will answer questions that those most affected by dementia feel is important
- will improve the lives of people with dementia and their families
Subscribe to our newsletter for updates
Stay up-to-date with our latest news on our research, community and donations.