Mariano Iannuzzi is the Director of the Curtin Corrosion Centre and the Chevron and Woodside Chair in Corrosion, Professor of materials and corrosion science at Curtin University. Mariano also holds an Adjunct Professorship at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Mariano earned his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Materials Science and Engineering from The Ohio State University and his Bachelor of Science degree from the "Instituto de Tecnología Profesor Jorge Sabato" (Institute of Technology, Professor Jorge Sabato) in Argentina. Before joining Curtin University, Mariano was a Principal Engineer and Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Corrosion Engineering at General Electric - Oil and Gas in Norway, an Assistant Professor at The University of Akron in the U.S., and a Senior Researcher at DNV-GL in both the U.S. and Norway.
Mariano Iannuzzi focuses on solving industrial corrosion and materials challenges. He is particularly interested in exploring the environmental and design boundaries of conventional technologies, combining his academic and industry experience to find pragmatic solutions. Mariano specializes on hydrogen embrittlement and sulfide stress cracking of high-strength low alloy steels and precipitation hardening alloys, environmental cracking and localized corrosion of corrosion resistant alloys, including super duplex stainless steels and nickel-based alloys, as well as corrosion management.
- 2013-2017 - General Electric: Principal Engineer | Subject Matter Expert Corrosion.
- 2011-2013 - The University of Akron: Assistant Professor.
- 2010-2011 - General Electric: Senior Engineer.
- 2006-2010 - Det Norske Veritas (DNV GL): Senior Researcher/Engineer
Mariano's primary research interest include environmentally assisted cracking of low alloy steels and corrosion resistant alloys, localized corrosion of metals and alloys, and corrosion management.
Mariano Iannuzzi received the Doctoral New Investigator Award from the American Chemical Society - Petroleum Research Fund, U.S., in 2013, the Morris Cohen Award for Outstanding Graduate Research in Corrosion Science by The Electrochemical Society in 2009, as well as the Marcel Pourbaix award for the best poster presentation on Corrosion Science and the NACE Foundation Book Award for Outstanding Graduate Research in Corrosion Science from the NACE Foundation in 2006.
Mariano is a NACE International member and actively participates in several task groups dedicated to solving various corrosion problems in oil and gas production. Likewise, he is an active member of The Electrochemical Society since 2003.
Fields Of Research
- Torres, C., R. Johnsen, and M. Iannuzzi. 2021. "Crevice corrosion of solution annealed 25Cr duplex stainless steels: Effect of W on critical temperatures." Corrosion Science 178
- Torres, C., M. S. Hazarabedian, Z. Quadir, R. Johnsen, and M. Iannuzzi. 2020. "The Role of Tungsten on the Phase Transformation Kinetics and its Correlation with the Localized Corrosion Resistance of 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steels." JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 167 (8): 081510-081510.
- Hazarabedian, M. S., Z. Quadir, M. Iannuzzi, and M. Lison-Pick. 2020. "Precipitation on the precipitation-hardened nickel alloy UNS N07725: Double-loop electrochemical potentiokinetic reactivation."
- Viereckl, A., E. Rodoni, Z. Quadir, G. Leadbeater, M. Iannuzzi, and Y. Honma. 2020. "High-strength nickel low alloy steels for oil and gas equipment: ASTM A508 Grade 4N under cathodic charging."
- Torres, C., M. Iannuzzi, and R. Johnsen. 2020. "Use of the critical acidification model to estimate the influence of w in the localized corrosion resistance of 25cr super duplex stainless steels." Metals 10 (10): 1-19.
- Hazarabedian, M. S., M. Z. Quadir, and M. Iannuzzi. 2020. "Characterization of intergranular phases in precipitation hardening Ni alloy UNS N07725." Materials Characterization
- Hazarabedian, M. S., A. Viereckl, Z. Quadir, G. Leadbeater, V. Golovanevskiy, S. Erdal, P. Georgeson, and M. Iannuzzi. 2019. "Hydrogen-induced stress cracking of swaged super duplex stainless steel subsea components." Corrosion 75 (7): 824-838.
- Torres, C., R. Johnsen, H. Østvold, and M. Iannuzzi. 2019. "Effect of W on phase transformation kinetics and its correlation with localized corrosion resistance for UNS S39274."
- Hazarabedian, M. S., A. Viereckl, Z. Quadir, G. Leadbeater, V. Golovanevskiy, M. Iannuzzi, P. Georgeson, and S. Erdal. 2019. "Hydrogen induced stress cracking of super duplex stainless steel UNS S32760 - A root cause failure investigation."
- Salasi, M., M. Iannuzzi, W. Rickard, and Z. Quadir. 2019. "Low stress abrasion-corrosion of high-Cr white cast iron: Combined effects of particle angularity and chloride ions." Journal of the Electrochemical Society 166 (13): C382-C393.
- Iannuzzi, M., H. Husby, R. Johnsen, M. Kappes, and A. Barnoush. 2018. "Effect of nickel on hydrogen permeation in ferritic/pearlitic low alloy steels." International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43 (7): 3845-3861.
- Husby, H., P. Wagstaff, M. Iannuzzi, R. Johnsen, and M. Kappes. 2018. "Effect of nickel on the hydrogen stress cracking resistance of ferritic/pearlitic low alloy steels." Corrosion 74 (7): 801-818.
- Bernås, M., I. Westermann, R. Johnsen, C. Torres, A. Jernberg, A. H. Qvale, and M. Iannuzzi. 2018. "Effect of tungsten on the precipitation kinetics and localized corrosion resistance of super duplex stainless steels."
- Ryen, A., R. Johnsen, M. Iannuzzi, and L. Årtun. 2018. "Cathodic protection by distributed sacrificial anodes - Performance at Elevated Temperature and in Mud."
- Torres, C., R. Johnsen, M. Kappes, and M. Iannuzzi. 2018. "Influence of tungsten on passivity breakdown and repassivation of 25CR super duplex stainless steel."
- Wold, K. K., R. Johnsen, M. Iannuzzi, and L. Årtun. 2018. "Integrated cathodic protection (CP) sensor network development of the CP sensor."
- Iannuzzi, M., B. Barnoush, and R. Johnsen. 2017. "Materials and corrosion trends in offshore and subsea oil and gas production." npj Materials Degradation 1
- Iannuzzi, M., K. L. Vasant, and G. S. Frankel. 2017. "Unusual Correlation between SKPFM and Corrosion of Nickel Aluminum Bronzes." Journal of The Electrochemical Society 164 (9): C488-C497.
- Haugan, E. B., M. Næss, C. Torres Rodriguez, R. Johnsen, and M. Iannuzzi. 2017. "Effect of Tungsten on the Pitting and Crevice Corrosion Resistance of Type 25Cr Super Duplex Stainless Steels." Corrosion 73 (1): 53-67.
- Iannuzzi, M., M. Bernås, I. Westermann, C. Lauritsen, and R. Johnsen. 2017. "Effect of Microstructure on The Corrosion Resistance of Duplex Stainless Steels: Materials Performance Maps." In Corrosion Conference and Expo 2017, Mar 20, 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Iannuzzi, M., L. Årtun, G. Quale, and R. Johnsen. 2017. "Cathodic Protection by Distributed Sacrificial Anodes – A New Cost-Effective Solution to Prevent Corrosion of Subsea Structures." In Corrosion Conference and Expo 2017, Mar 26, 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Husby, H., R. Johnsen, M. Iannuzzi, A. Barnoush, M. Kappes, and R. Rebak. 2017. "Effect of nickel in solid solution on the hydrogen embrittlement susceptibility of low alloy steels."
- Miller, R. B., A. Sadek, A. Rodriguez, M. Iannuzzi, C. Giai, J. Senko, and C. Monty. 2016. "Use of an Electrochemical Split Cell Technique to Evaluate the Influence of Shewanella oneidensis Activities on Corrosion of Carbon Steel." PLoS ONE 11 (1): e0147899-e0147899.
- Iannuzzi, M., C. Giai, M. Kappes, M. Rincón-Ortiz, and J. Senko. 2016. "Efficacy of Sterilization Methods and Their Influence on the Electrochemical Behavior of Plain Carbon Steel." Journal of The Electrochemical Society 163 (10): C633-C642.
- Kappes, M., M. Rincon Ortiz, M. Iannuzzi, and R. M. Carranza. 2016. "Use of the Critical Acidification Model to Estimate Critical Localized Corrosion Potentials of Duplex Stainless Steels." Corrosion 73: 31-40.
- Miller, R. B., C. Giai, M. Iannuzzi, C. N. Monty, and J. Senko. 2016. "Microbial reduction of Cr(VI) in the presence of chromate conversion coating constituents." BIOREMEDIATION JOURNAL 20 (3): 174-182.
- Iannuzzi, M., E. Ghanbari, and R. S. Lillard. 2016. "The Mechanism of Alternating Current Corrosion of API Grade X65 Pipeline Steel." Corrosion 72 (9): 1196-1210.
- Iannuzzi, M., M. A. Kappes, and R. M. Carranza. 2014. "Pre-Exposure Embrittlement and Stress Corrosion Cracking of Magnesium Alloy AZ31B in Chloride Solutions." Corrosion 70 (7): 667-677.
- Iannuzzi, M., K. McCallum, J. Zhao, M. Workman, M. A. Kappes, J. Payer, C. B. Clemons, S. Chawla, K. I. Kreider, N. Mimoto, and 1 more contributors. 2014. "Localized Corrosion Risk Assessment Using Markov Analysis." Corrosion 70 (11): 1114-1127.
- Iannuzzi, M., M. A. Kappes, R. B. Rebak, and R. M. Carranza. 2014. "Sulfide stress cracking of nickel-containing low-alloy steels." CORROSION REVIEWS 32 (3-4): 101-128.
- Iannuzzi, M., M. A. Kappes, and R. M. Carranza. 2013. "Hydrogen Embrittlement of Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys: A Review." Journal of The Electrochemical Society 160 (4): C168-C178.
- Iannuzzi, M. 2011. "Environmentally assisted cracking (EAC) in oil and gas production." In Stress corrosion cracking. Theory and practice Raja, V. S., and T. Shoji., 570-607 Cambridge, U.K.: Woodhead Publishing.
- Iannuzzi, M., C. Mendez, L. Avila-Gray, G. Maio, and H. Rincon. 2010. "Determination of the Critical Pitting Temperature of Martensitic and Supermartensitic Stainless Steels in Simulated Sour Environments Using Electrochemical Noise Analysis." Corrosion 66 (4): 0450031-0450031.
- Iannuzzi, M., C. Mendez, L. Avila-Gray, G. Maio, and H. Rincón. 2010. "Critical pitting temperature of martensitic and super-martensitic stainless steels in simulated sour environments."
- Rosales, B. M., and M. Iannuzzi. 2008. "Aluminium AA2024 T351 aeronautical alloy. Part 1. Microbial influenced corrosion analysis." Materials Science and Engineering A 472 (1-2): 15-25.
- Iannuzzi, M., and M. Yunovich. 2008. "Experimental approaches to determine the onset of coating disbondment."
- Iannuzzi, M., J. Kovac, and G. S. Frankel. 2007. "A study of the mechanisms of corrosion inhibition of AA2024-T3 by vanadates using the split cell technique." Electrochimica Acta 52 (12): 4032-4042.
- Iannuzzi, M., and G. S. Frankel. 2007. "Mechanisms of corrosion inhibition of AA2024-T3 by vanadates." Corrosion Science 49 (5): 2371-2391.
- Iannuzzi, M., and G. S. Frankel. 2007. "Corrosion inhibition of AA2024-T3 by vanadates."
- Iannuzzi, M., and G. S. Frankel. 2007. "Inhibition of Aluminum Alloy 2024 Corrosion by Vanadates: An In Situ Atomic Force Microscopy Scratching Investigation." Corrosion 63 (7): 672-688.
- Iannuzzi, M., T. Young, and G. S. Frankel. 2006. "Aluminum alloy corrosion inhibition by vanadates." Journal of the Electrochemical Society 153 (12)
- Iannuzzi, M. 2005. "More on CP for MIC prevention ." Materials Performance 44 (12): 11-12.
- Iannuzzi, M. 2003. "Microbiologic contamination and corrosion of aircraft integral fuel tanks: Evaluation and risk control." MATERIALS PERFORMANCE 42 (6): 62-66.