Professor Li’s research interests are mainly in regional to global tectonics and paleogeography, paleomagnetism, and geodynamics. He is also interested in the relationships between major tectonic events, large mineralisation systems and major environmental/climate changes.
Professor Li received his Bachelor of Science in seismological geology from Peking University in 1982, and a PhD on palaeomagnetism and tectonics from Macquarie University in 1989. After joining The University of Western Australia (UWA) in 1990, he established the UWA Palaeomagnetism Laboratory (now the WA Palaeomagnetic and Rock-magnetic Facility), laying the foundation for the later establishment of the Tectonics Special Research Centre (TSRC, 1997–2006) where he served as a Deputy Director.
Li joined Curtin University in 2007. He was a Co-Leader of the successful IGCP project No. 440: Rodinia Assembly and Break-up, and is currently a Co-Leader of IGCP project No. 648: Supercontinent Cycles and Global Geodynamics (http://geodynamics.curtin.edu.au). He is also a Co-Director of the Australia-China Joint Research Centre for Tectonics and Earth Resources (ACTER; http://tectonics.curtin.edu.au/), and a key member of The Institute for Geoscience Research (TIGeR; http://tiger.curtin.edu.au/; YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZ4I0kErOY) and the ARC Centre of Excellence for Core to Crust Fluid Systems (CCFS; http://www.ccfs.mq.edu.au/Participants/Participants.html).
2007 – present, Curtin University: Professor (John Curtin Distinguished Professor since 2015); Australian Laureate Fellow (2015 – 2020)
1990 – 2006, The University of Western Australia: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, ARC QEII Fellow, Principal Research Fellow, Deputy Director the Tectonics Special Research Centre, Senior Prinicipal Research Fellpw/Professor
1989 – 1990, Manquarie University: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Li's research is directed at understanding global to regional-scale palaeogeography and tectonic histories, and geodynamic processes in general. His most significant work has been in the evolution of supercontinents Rodinia and Gondwanaland, supercontinent-superplume cycles and their possible coupling mechanism, and the tectonic history of East Asia and Australia. Li's research generally involves multidisciplinary collaboration, utilises methodologies such as global to regional tectonostratigraphic analysis, orogenic/basin analysis, palaeomagnetism/rock-magnetism, geochronology/thermochronology, geochemistry, big-data approach, and geodynamic modeling.
For some highlights of Li's research, see his Thomson Scientific ScienceWatch interviews on the Rodinia Superplume (http:/archive.sciencewatch.com/ana/st/zir-dat/08marSTzir-Li/) and on the Rodinia Supercontinent Configuration (http://archive.sciencewatch.com/dr/nhp/2009/09maynhp/09maynhpLi/), his paper with Prof. David Evansof Yale University on a Neoproterozoic 40 degrees intraplate rotation between northern and southern Australia (Geology 39, no. 1, 39–42, 2011. Http://doi.org/10.1130/G31461.1), paper with Professor Shijie Zhong of Colorado University on dynamically coupled supercontinent-superplume cycles (Physics of Earth and Planetary Interiors 176, 143-156, 2009. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.pepi.2009.05.004), recent ARC Laureate team paper on 1.2 Ga superocean cycles (Precambrian Research 323, 1-5, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2019.01.009), paper with Professor Xianhua Li of the Chinese Academy of Sciences on flat-slab subduction and foundering along Mesozoic NW Pacific margin (Geology 35(2), 179-182, 2007. http://doi.org/10.1130/G23193A.1), and with Profesor Xiaodian Jiang of China Ocean University on the growth of the Tibetan Plateau (Nature Communications 5:5453, https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms6453, 2014; Tectonics 38, 176-189, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018TC005272).
Online links to publications
Li's ISI ResearcherID http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-8827-2008
- Elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union (AGU), August 2019
- Finalist, Western Australian Premier's Scientist of the Year Award 2016, 2017
- Geological Society of Australia S.W. Carey Medal, 2016
- Thomson Reuters Citation and Innovation Awards 2015
- Thomson Reuters highly cited researcher 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Curtin University PVC Lifetime Achievement Award, 2015
- Thomson Scientific Citation Award (Geosciences), Australia 2008
- An elected Fellow of the Geological Society of America in 2001
- Tectonophysics (2016 – present)
Associate Editor of:
- Geological Society of America Bulletin (2007 – 2009; 2012 – present)
Editorial Board Member of:
- Scientific Reports (2019– present)
- Geology (2016 – 2018)
- Journal of Asia Earth Sciences (2006 – 2016)
- Chinese Science Bulletin (2003 – 2004)
- Acta Geoscientica Sinica (2001 – present)
Adjunct Professorships at The University of Western Australia (2007 – 2019), Zhejiang University (2007 – present), Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry (2007 – 2011), and China University of Geosciences (1995 – 1997)
Project Co-leader of IGCP 440: Rodinia Assembly and Breakup (2002 – 2004) and Project Secretary (1999-2002)
Project Co-leader of IGCP581: Evolution of Asian River Systems Linking to Cenozoic Tectonics, Climate and Global Geochemical Cycles (2009-2013)
Project Co-leader of IGCP648: Sypercontinent Cycles and Global Geodynamics (2015-2020)
- Postgraduate Research Coordinator (2007 – 2014)
- Tectonics & Dynamic Earth 302 (unit coordinator, 2011 – 2015)
- Tetley, M. G., Z. X. Li, K. J. Matthews, S. E. Williams, and R. D. Müller. 2020. "Decoding earth's plate tectonic history using sparse geochemical data." Geoscience Frontiers 11 (1): 265-276.
- Mitchell, R. N., L. Wu, J. B. Murphy, and Z. X. Li. 2020. "Trial by fire: Testing the paleolongitude of Pangea of competing reference frames with the African LLSVP." Geoscience Frontiers
- Tong, L., Z. Liu, Z. X. Li, X. Liu, and X. Zhou. 2019. "Poly-phase metamorphism of garnet-bearing mafic granulite from the Larsemann Hills, East Antarctica: P-T path, U-Pb ages and tectonic implications." Precambrian Research 326: 385-398.
- Yao, W., and Z. X. Li. 2019. "Tectonostratigraphy and provenance analysis to define the edge and evolution of the eastern Wuyi-Yunkai orogen, South China." Geological Magazine 156 (1): 83-98.
- Jiang, X., Z. X. Li, C. Li, and W. Gong. 2019. "A Gravity Study of the Longmenshan Fault Zone: New Insights Into the Nature and Evolution of the Fault Zone and Extrusion-Style Growth of the Tibetan Plateau Since 40 Ma." Tectonics 38 (1): 176-189.
- Li, Z. X., R. N. Mitchell, C. J. Spencer, R. Ernst, S. Pisarevsky, U. Kirscher, and J. B. Murphy. 2019. "Decoding Earth's rhythms: Modulation of supercontinent cycles by longer superocean episodes." Precambrian Research 323: 1-5.
- Kirscher, U., Y. Liu, Z. X. Li, R. N. Mitchell, S. A. Pisarevsky, S. W. Denyszyn, and A. Nordsvan. 2019. "Paleomagnetism of the Hart Dolerite (Kimberley, Western Australia) – A two-stage assembly of the supercontinent Nuna?." Precambrian Research 329: 170-181.
- Wang, C., Z. X. Li, P. Peng, S. Pisarevsky, Y. Liu, U. Kirscher, and A. Nordsvan. 2019. "Long-lived connection between the North China and North Australian cratons in supercontinent Nuna: paleomagnetic and geological constraints." Science Bulletin 64 (13): 873-876.
- Gamal El Dien, H., Z. X. Li, Y. Kil, and T. Abu-Alam. 2019. "Origin of arc magmatic signature: A temperature-dependent process for trace element (re)-mobilization in subduction zones." Scientific Reports 9 (1)
- Mitchell, R. N., T. M. Gernon, A. Nordsvan, G. M. Cox, Z. X. Li, and P. F. Hoffman. 2019. "Hit or miss: Glacial incisions of snowball Earth." Terra Nova 31 (4): 381-389.
- Tao, N., Z. X. Li, M. Danišík, N. J. Evans, R. X. Li, C. J. Pang, W. X. Li, F. Jourdan, Q. Yu, L. P. Liu, and 2 more contributors. 2019. "Post-250 Ma thermal evolution of the central Cathaysia Block (SE China) in response to flat-slab subduction at the proto-Western Pacific margin." Gondwana Research 75: 1-15.
- Mitchell, R. N., C. J. Spencer, U. Kirscher, X. F. He, J. B. Murphy, Z. X. Li, and W. J. Collins. 2019. "Harmonic hierarchy of mantle and lithospheric convective cycles: Time series analysis of hafnium isotopes of zircon." Gondwana Research 75: 239-248.
- Gamal El Dien, H., S. Arai, L. S. Doucet, Z. X. Li, Y. Kil, D. Fougerouse, S. M. Reddy, D. W. Saxey, and M. Hamdy. 2019. "Cr-spinel records metasomatism not petrogenesis of mantle rocks." Nature Communications 10 (1)
- Huang, C., N. Zhang, Z. X. Li, M. Ding, Z. Dang, A. Pourteau, and S. Zhong. 2019. "Modeling the Inception of Supercontinent Breakup: Stress State and the Importance of Orogens." Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20 (11): 4830-4848.
- Gamal EL Dien, H., L. S. Doucet, and Z. X. Li. 2019. "Global geochemical fingerprinting of plume intensity suggests coupling with the supercontinent cycle." Nature Communications 10 (1)
- Stark, J. C., X. C. Wang, S. W. Denyszyn, Z. X. Li, B. Rasmussen, J. W. Zi, S. Sheppard, and Y. Liu.. "Newly identified 1.89 Ga mafic dyke swarm in the Archean Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia suggests a connection with India." Precambrian Research - Inpress.
- Zhang, N., Z. Dang, C. Huang, and Z. X. Li. 2018. "The dominant driving force for supercontinent breakup: Plume push or subduction retreat?." Geoscience Frontiers 9 (4): 997-1007.
- Stark, J. C., X. C. Wang, Z. X. Li, B. Rasmussen, S. Sheppard, J. W. Zi, C. Clark, M. Hand, and W. X. Li. 2018. "In situ U-Pb geochronology and geochemistry of a 1.13 Ga mafic dyke suite at Bunger Hills, East Antarctica: The end of the Albany-Fraser Orogeny." Precambrian Research 310: 76-92.
- Liu, Y., Z. X. Li, S. Pisarevsky, U. Kirscher, R. N. Mitchell, and J. C. Stark.. "Palaeomagnetism of the 1.89 Ga Boonadgin dykes of the Yilgarn Craton: Possible connection with India." Precambrian Research - Inpress.
- Yao, W., Z. X. Li, C. J. Spencer, and E. L. Martin. 2018. "Indian-derived sediments deposited in Australia during Gondwana assembly." Precambrian Research 312: 23-37.
- Roda, M., M. Zucali, Z. X. Li, M. I. Spalla, and W. Yao. 2018. "Pre-Alpine contrasting tectono-metamorphic evolutions within the Southern Steep Belt, Central Alps." Lithos 310-311: 31-49.
- Nordsvan, A. R., W. J. Collins, Z. X. Li, C. J. Spencer, A. Pourteau, I. W. Withnall, P. G. Betts, and S. Volante. 2018. "Laurentian crust in northeast Australia: Implications for the assembly of the supercontinent Nuna." Geology 46: 521-524.
- Wang, K., Z. X. Li, S. Dong, J. Cui, B. Han, T. Zheng, and Y. Xu. 2018. "Early crustal evolution of the Yangtze Craton, South China: New constraints from zircon U-Pb-Hf isotopes and geochemistry of ca. 2.9–2.6 Ga granitic rocks in the Zhongxiang Complex." Precambrian Research 314: 325-352.
- Zhang, N., and Z. Li.. "Formation of mantle “lone plumes” in the global downwelling zone — A multiscale modelling of subduction-controlled plume generation beneath the South China Sea." Tectonophysics 723
- Stark, J. C., X. C. Wang, Z. X. Li, S. W. Denyszyn, B. Rasmussen, and J. W. Zi. 2018. "1.39 Ga mafic dyke swarm in southwestern Yilgarn Craton marks Nuna to Rodinia transition in the West Australian Craton." Precambrian Research 316: 291-304.
- Stark, J. C., S. A. Wilde, U. Söderlund, Z. X. Li, B. Rasmussen, and J. W. Zi. 2018. "First evidence of Archean mafic dykes at 2.62 Ga in the Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia: Links to cratonisation and the Zimbabwe Craton." Precambrian Research 317: 1-13.
- Wang, K., S. Dong, Z. X. Li, and B. Han. 2018. "Age and chemical composition of Archean metapelites in the Zhongxiang Complex and implications for early crustal evolution of the Yangtze Craton." Lithos 320-321: 280-301.
- Liu, Y., Z. X. Li, S. A. Pisarevsky, U. Kirscher, R. N. Mitchell, J. C. Stark, C. Clark, and M. Hand. 2018. "First Precambrian palaeomagnetic data from the Mawson Craton (East Antarctica) and tectonic implications." Scientific Reports 8 (1)
- Pourteau, A., M. A. Smit, Z. X. Li, W. J. Collins, A. R. Nordsvan, S. Volante, and J. Li. 2018. "1.6 Ga crustal thickening along the final Nuna suture." Geology 46 (11): 959-962.
- Zhu, K. Y., Z. X. Li, Q. K. Xia, X. S. Xu, S. A. Wilde, and H. L. Chen. 2017. "Revisiting Mesozoic felsic intrusions in eastern South China: spatial and temporal variations and tectonic significance." Lithos 294-295: 147-163.
- Liu, L. P., Z. X. Li, M. Danišík, S. Li, N. Evans, F. Jourdan, and N. Tao. 2017. "Thermochronology of the Sulu ultrahigh-pressure metamorphic terrane: Implications for continental collision and lithospheric thinning." Tectonophysics 712-713: 10-29.
- Yao, W., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, and X. H. Li. 2017. "Proterozoic tectonics of Hainan Island in supercontinent cycles: New insights from geochronological and isotopic results." Precambrian Research 290: 86-100.
- Tao, N., Z. X. Li, M. Danišík, N. J. Evans, G. E. Batt, W. X. Li, C. J. Pang, F. Jourdan, Y. G. Xu, and L. P. Liu. 2017. "Thermochronological record of Middle–Late Jurassic magmatic reheating to Eocene rift-related rapid cooling in the SE South China Block." Gondwana Research 46: 191-203.
- Goddéris, Y., G. Le Hir, M. Macouin, Y. Donnadieu, L. Hubert-Théou, G. Dera, M. Aretz, F. Fluteau, Z. X. Li, and G. P. Halverson. 2017. "Paleogeographic forcing of the strontium isotopic cycle in the Neoproterozoic." Gondwana Research 42: 151-162.
- Ma, L., Q. Wang, Z. X. Li, D. A. Wyman, J. H. Yang, Z. Q. Jiang, Y. S. Liu, G. N. Gou, and H. F. Guo. 2017. "Subduction of Indian continent beneath southern Tibet in the latest Eocene (~ 35 Ma): Insights from the Quguosha gabbros in southern Lhasa block." Gondwana Research 41: 77-92.
- Wang, Q., C. J. Hawkesworth, D. Wyman, S. L. Chung, F. Y. Wu, X. H. Li, Z. X. Li, G. N. Gou, X. Z. Zhang, G. J. Tang, and 3 more contributors. 2016. "Pliocene-Quaternary crustal melting in central and northern Tibet and insights into crustal flow." Nature Communications 7: 1-11.
- Zhu, K. Y., Z. X. Li, X. S. Xu, S. A. Wilde, and H. L. Chen. 2016. "Early Mesozoic ferroan (A-type) and magnesian granitoids in eastern South China: Tracing the influence of flat-slab subduction at the western Pacific margin." Lithos 240-243: 371-381.
- Cox, G. M., G. P. Halverson, R. K. Stevenson, M. Vokaty, A. Poirier, M. Kunzmann, Z. X. Li, S. W. Denyszyn, J. V. Strauss, and F. A. Macdonald. 2016. "Continental flood basalt weathering as a trigger for Neoproterozoic Snowball Earth." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 446: 89-99.
- Pang, C. J., Z. X. Li, Y. G. Xu, S. N. Wen, and B. Krapež. 2016. "Climatic and tectonic controls on Late Triassic to Middle Jurassic sedimentation in northeastern Guangdong Province, South China." Tectonophysics 677-678: 68-87.
- Cox, G. M., A. Jarrett, D. Edwards, P. W. Crockford, G. P. Halverson, A. S. Collins, A. Poirier, and Z. X. Li. 2016. "Basin redox and primary productivity within the Mesoproterozoic Roper Seaway." Chemical Geology 440: 101-114.
- Niu, J., Z. X. Li, and W. Zhu. 2016. "Palaeomagnetism and geochronology of mid-neoproterozoic yanbian dykes, South China: Implications for a c. 820-800 Ma true polar wander event and the reconstruction of Rodinia." Geological Society Special Publication 424 (1): 192-211.
- Yao, W. H., and Z. X. Li. 2016. "Tectonostratigraphic history of the Ediacaran-Silurian Nanhua foreland basin in South China." Tectonophysics 674: 31-51.
- Evans, D. A. D., Z. X. Li, and J. B. Murphy. 2016. "Four-dimensional context of Earth's supercontinents." In Supercontinent Cycles Through Earth History Li, Z. X., D. A. D. Evans, and J. B. Murphy., 1-14 United Kingdom: Geological Society.
- Zhang, N., L. I. Zheng-Xiang, and S. Zhong. 2016. "The Long-Wavelength Mantle Structure, and the supercontinent Evolution since the Paleozoic." Acta Geologica Sinica 90: 49-49.
- Zhu, W. G., H. Zhong, Z. X. Li, Z. J. Bai, and Y. J. Yang. 2016. "SIMS zircon U-Pb ages, geochemistry and Nd-Hf isotopes of ca. 1.0 Ga mafic dykes and volcanic rocks in the Huili area, SW China: Origin and tectonic significance." Precambrian Research 273: 67-89.
- Huang, H., X. H. Li, Z. X. Li, and W. X. Li. 2015. "Formation of the Jurassic South China Large Granitic Province: Insights from the genesis of the Jiufeng pluton." Chemical Geology 401: 43-58.
- Li, Z. X. 2015. "Paleogeographic record of Eocene Farallon slab rollback beneath western North America." Geology 43 (4): e362-e362.
- Meng, L., Z. X. Li, H. Chen, X. H. Li, and C. Zhu. 2015. "Detrital zircon U-Pb geochronology, Hf isotopes and geochemistry constraints on crustal growth and Mesozoic tectonics of southeastern China." Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 105: 286-299.
- Yao, W. H., Z. X. Li, and W. X. Li. 2015. "Was there a Cambrian ocean in South China? - Insight from detrital provenance analyses." Geological Magazine 152: 184-191.
- Xu, X., S. Song, L. Su, Z. X. Li, Y. Niu, and M. Allen. 2015. "The 600-580 Ma continental rift basalts in North Qilian Shan, northwest China: Links between the Qilian-Qaidam block and SE Australia, and the reconstruction of East Gondwana." Precambrian Research 257: 47-64.
- Lu, Y. J., T. Campbell McCuaig, Z. X. Li, F. Jourdan, C. J. R. Hart, Z. Q. Hou, and S. H. Tang. 2015. "Paleogene post-collisional lamprophyres in western Yunnan, western Yangtze Craton: Mantle source and tectonic implications." Lithos 233: 139-161.
- Yao, W., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, L. Su, and J. H. Yang. 2015. "Detrital provenance evolution of the Ediacaran-Silurian Nanhua foreland basin, South China." Gondwana Research 28: 1449-1495.
- Pisarevsky, S. A., S. A. Elming, L. J. Pesonen, and Z. X. Li. 2014. "Mesoproterozoic paleogeography: Supercontinent and beyond." Precambrian Research 244: 207-225.
- Jiang, X. D., and Z. X. Li. 2014. "Seismic reflection data support episodic and simultaneous growth of the Tibetan Plateau since 25 Myr." Nature Communications 5
- Pang, C. J., B. Krapez, Z. X. Li, Y. G. Xu, H. Q. Liu, and J. Cao. 2014. "Stratigraphic evolution of a Late Triassic to Early Jurassic intracontinental basin in southeastern South China: A consequence of flat-slab subduction." Sedimentary Geology 302: 44-63.
- Yao, W. H., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, X. H. Li, and J. H. Yang. 2014. "FROM RODINIA TO GONDWANALAND: A TALE OF DETRITAL ZIRCON PROVENANCE ANALYSES FROM THE SOUTHERN NANHUA BASIN, SOUTH CHINA." American Journal of Science 314: 278-313.
- Pisarevsky, S. A., M. T. D. Wingate, Z. X. Li, X. C. Wang, E. Tohver, and C. L. Kirkland. 2014. "Age and paleomagnetism of the 1210 Ma Gnowangerup-Fraser dykeswarm, Western Australia, and implications for late Mesoproterozoic paleogeography." Precambrian Research 246: 1-15.
- Zhu, K. Y., Z. X. Li, X. S. Xu, and S. A. Wilde. 2014. "A MESOZOIC ANDEAN-TYPE OROGENIC CYCLE IN SOUTHEASTERN CHINA AS RECORDED BY GRANITOID EVOLUTION." American Journal of Science 314: 187-234.
- Li, Z. X., H. L. Chen, X. H. Li, and F. Q. ZHANG. 2014. "Tectonics of the South China Block." Beijing, China: Science Press.
- Li, Z. X., D. A. D. Evans, and G. P. Halverson. 2013. "Neoproterozoic glaciations in a revised global palaeogeography from the breakup of Rodinia to the assembly of Gondwanaland." Sedimentary Geology 294: 219-232.
- Wang, X. C., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, J. Li, Y. G. Xu, and X. H. Li. 2013. "Identification of an ancient mantle reservoir and young recycled, materials in the source region of a young mantle plume: Implications for potential linkages between plume and plate tectonics." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 377-378: 248-259.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, X. C. Wang, and Y. Gao. 2013. "Revisiting the 'C-type adakites' of the Lower Yangtze River Belt, central eastern China: In-situ zircon Hf-O isotope and geochemical constraints." Chemical Geology 345: 1-15.
- Liu, Y., Z. X. Li, C. Laukamp, G. West, and S. Gardoll. 2013. "Quantified spatial relationships between gold mineralisation and key ore genesis controlling factors, and predictive mineralisation mapping, St Ives Goldfield, Western Australia." Ore Geology Reviews 54: 157-166.
- Ma, L., Q. Wang, Z. X. Li, D. A. Wyman, Z. Q. Jiang, J. H. Yang, G. N. Gou, and H. F. Guo. 2013. "The Early Late Cretaceous (ca. 93 Ma) norites and hornblendites in the Milin area, eastern Gangdese: Lithosphere-asthenosphere interaction during slab roll-back and an insight into early Late Cretaceous (ca. 100-80 Ma) magmatic 'flare-up' in southern Lhasa (Tibet)." Lithos 172-173: 17-30.
- Smirnov, A. V., D. A. D. Evans, R. E. Ernst, U. Soderlund, and Z. X. Li. 2013. "Trading partners: Tectonic ancestry of southern Africa and western Australia, in Archean supercratons Vaalbara and Zimgarn." Precambrian Research 224: 11-22.
- Wang, X. C., Z. X. Li, and X. H. Li. 2013. "Early differentiation of the bulk silicate Earth as recorded by the oldest mantle reservoir." Precambrian Research 238: 52-60.
- Zhu, K. Y., Z. X. Li, X. S. Xu, and S. A. Wilde. 2013. "Late Triassic melting of a thickened crust in southeastern China: Evidence for flat-slab subduction of the Paleo-Pacific plate." Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 74: 265-279.
- Jiang, X., Z. X. Li, and H. Li. 2013. "Uplift of the West Kunlun Range, northern Tibetan Plateau, dominated by brittle thickening of the upper crust." Geology 41 (4): 439-442.
- Zhang, S., Z. X. Li, D. A. D. Evans, H. Wu, H. Li, and J. Dong. 2012. "Pre-Rodinia supercontinent Nuna shaping up: A global synthesis with new paleomagnetic results from North China." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 353-354: 145-155.
- Tang, G. J., D. A. Wyman, Q. Wang, J. Li, Z. X. Li, Z. H. Zhao, and W. D. Sun. 2012. "Asthenosphere-lithosphere interaction triggered by a slab window during ridge subduction: Trace element and Sr-Nd-Hf-Os isotopic evidence from Late Carboniferous tholeiites in the western Junggar area (NW China)." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 329-330: 84-96.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, B. He, W. X. Li, Q. L. Li, Y. Gao, and X. C. Wang. 2012. "The Early Permian active continental margin and crustal growth of the Cathaysia Block: In situ U-Pb, Lu-Hf and O isotope analyses of detrital zircons." Chemical Geology 328: 195-207.
- Wang, X. C., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, J. Li, Y. Liu, W. G. Long, J. B. Zhou, and F. Wang. 2012. "Temperature, pressure, and composition of the mantle source region of late cenozoic basalts in Hainan Island, SE Asia: A consequence of a young thermal mantle plume close to subduction zones?." Journal of Petrology 53 (1): 177-233.
- Meng, L., Z. X. Li, H. Chen, X. H. Li, and X. C. Wang. 2012. "Geochronological and geochemical results from Mesozoic basalts in southern South China Block support the flat-slab subduction model." Lithos 132-133: 127-140.
- Wang, Q., S. L. Chung, X. H. Li, D. Wyman, Z. X. Li, W. D. Sun, H. N. Qiu, Y. S. Liu, and Y. T. Zhu. 2012. "Crustal Melting and Flow beneath Northern Tibet: Evidence from Mid-Miocene to Quaternary Strongly Peraluminous Rhyolites in the Southern Kunlun Range." Journal of Petrology 53 (12): 2523-2566.
- Yao, W. H., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, X. C. Wang, X. H. Li, and J. H. Yang. 2012. "Post-kinematic lithospheric delamination of the Wuyi-Yunkai orogen in South China: Evidence from ca. 435 Ma high-Mg basalts." Lithos 154: 115-129.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, S. L. Chung, C. H. Lo, X. Xu, and W. X. Li. 2012. "Magmatic switch-on and switch-off along the South China continental margin since the Permian: Transition from an Andean-type to a Western Pacific-type plate boundary." Tectonophysics 532-535: 271-290.
- Li, Z. X., and D. A. D. Evans. 2011. "Late Neoproterozoic 40° intraplate rotation within Australia allows for a tighter-fitting and longer-lasting Rodinia." Geology 39 (1): 39-42.
- Huang, H. Q., X. H. Li, W. X. Li, and Z. X. Li. 2011. "Formation of high [delta]18 O fayalite-bearing A-type granite by hightemperature melting of granulitic metasedimentary rocks, southern China." Geology 39 (10): 903-906.
- Li, Z. X. 2011. "Breakup of Rodinia." In Encyclopedia of Geobiology, 206-210 The Netherlands: Springer.
- Wang, X. C., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, Q. L. Li, G. Q. Tang, Q. R. Zhang, and Y. Liu. 2011. "Nonglacial origin for low-[delta]18O Neoproterozoic magmas in the South China Block: Evidence from new in-situ oxygen isotope analyses using SIMS." Geology 39 (8): 735-738.
- Lu, Y. J., T. C. McCuaig, R. Kerrich, C. J. R. Hart, P. Cawood, A. I. S. Kemp, Z. X. Li, and Z. Q. Hou. 2011. "New types of porphyry Cu (Au-Mo) mineral systems of Eastern Tibetan Plateau in western Yunnan: compositional characteristics, sources, and exploration implications for continental collision metallogeny." In 11th SGA Biennial Meeting on Let's Talk Ore Deposits, Sep 26, 2011, Univ Catolica del Norte, Antofagasta, CHILE: EDICIONES UNIV CATOLICA NORTE.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, J. A. Wartho, C. Clark, W. X. Li, C. L. Zhang, and C. Bao. 2010. "Magmatic and metamorphic events during the early Paleozoic Wuyi-Yunkai orogeny, southeastern South China: New age constraints and pressure-temperature conditions." Geological Society of America Bulletin 122: 772-793.
- Zhang, C. L., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, Y. G. Xu, G. Zhou, and H. M. Ye. 2010. "A Permian large igneous province in Tarim and Central Asian orogenic belt, NW China: Results of a ca. 275 Ma mantle plume?." Geological Society of America Bulletin 122: 2020-2040.
- Zhang, C. L., Y. G. Xu, Z. X. Li, H. Y. Wang, and H. M. Ye. 2010. "Diverse Permian magmatism in the Tarim Block, NW China: Genetically linked to the Permian Tarim mantle plume?." Lithos 119: 537-552.
- Tang, G., Q. Wang, D. A. Wyman, Z. X. Li, Z. H. Zhao, X. H. Jia, and Z. Q. Jiang. 2010. "Ridge subduction and crustal growth in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt: Evidence from Late Carboniferous adakites and high-Mg diorites in the western Junggar region, northern Xinjiang (west China)." Chemical Geology 277: 281-300.
- Zhang, N., S. Zhong, W. Leng, and Z. X. Li. 2010. "A model for the evolution of the Earth's mantle structure since the Early Paleozoic." Journal of Geophysical Research 115: 1-22.
- Wang, Q., D. A. Wyman, Z. X. Li, W. Sun, S. L. Chung, P. M. Vasconcelos, Q. Zhang, H. Dong, Y. Yu, N. Pearson, and 3 more contributors. 2010. "Eocene north-south trending dikes in central Tibet: New constraints on the timing of east-west extension with implications for early plateau uplift?." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 298: 205-216.
- Li, W. X., X. H. Li, and Z. X. Li. 2010. "Ca. 850 Ma Bimodal Volcanic Rocks in Northeastern Jiangxi Province, South China: Initial Extension During the Breakup of Rodinia?." American Journal of Science 310: 951-980.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, J. A. Wartho, C. Clark, W. X. Li, C. L. Zhang, and C. Bao. 2010. "Magmatic and metamorphic events during the early Paleozoic Wuyi-Yunkai orogeny, southeastern South China: New age constraints and pressure-temperature conditions (vol 122, pg 772, 2010)." GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA BULLETIN 122 (5-6): 960-960.
- Hoffman, P. F., and Z. X. Li. 2009. "A palaeogeographic context for Neoproterozoic glaciation." Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 277: 158-172.
- Li, Z. X., and S. Zhong. 2009. "Supercontinent-superplume coupling, true polar wander and plume mobility: Plate dominance in whole-mantle tectonics." Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 176: 143-156.
- Li, X. H., W. X. Li, Z. X. Li, C. H. Lo, J. Wang, M. F. Ye, and Y. H. Yang. 2009. "Amalgamation between the Yangtze and Cathaysia Blocks in South China: Constraints from SHRIMP U-Pb zircon ages, geochemistry and Nd-Hf isotopes of the Shuangxiwu volcanic rocks." Precambrian Research 174: 117-128.
- Li, Z. X., S. V. Bogdanova, A. S. Collins, A. Davidson, B. De Waele, R. E. Ernst, D. A. D. Evans, I. C. W. Fitzsimons, R. A. Fuck, D. P. Gladkochub, and 8 more contributors. 2009. "How not to build a supercontinent: A reply to J.D.A. Piper." Precambrian Research 174: 208-214.
- Li, Z. X., S. V. Bogdanova, A. S. Collins, A. Davidson, B. De Waele, R. E. Ernst, I. C. W. Fitzsimons, R. A. Fuck, D. P. Gladkochub, J. Jacobs, and 7 more contributors. 2008. "Assembly, configuration, and break-up history of Rodinia: A synthesis." Precambrian Research 160: 179-210.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, W. X. Li, and S. Ding. 2008. "Was Cathaysia part of Proterozoic Laurentia? - new data from Hainan Island, south China." Terra Nova 20 (2): 154-164.
- Li, X. H., W. X. Li, Z. X. Li, and Y. Liu. 2008. "850-790 Ma bimodal volcanic and intrusive rocks in northern Zhejiang, South China: A major episode of continental rift magmatism during the breakup of Rodinia." Lithos 102 (1-2): 341-357.
- Zhang, C. L., X. H. Li, Z. X. Li, H. M. Ye, and C. N. Li. 2008. "A Permian Layered Intrusive Complex in the Western Tarim Block, Northwestern China: Product of a Ca. 275-Ma Mantle Plume?." Journal of Geology 116: 269-287.
- Ernst, R. E., M. T. D. Wingate, K. L. Buchan, and Z. X. Li. 2008. "Global record of 1600-700 Ma Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs): Implications for the reconstruction of the proposed Nuna (Columbia) and Rodinia supercontinents." Precambrian Research 160 (1-2): 159-178.
- Wang, X. C., X. H. Li, W. X. Li, Z. X. Li, Y. Liu, Y. H. Yang, X. R. Liang, and X. L. Tu. 2008. "The Bikou basalts in the northwestern Yangtze block, South China: Remnants of 820-810 Ma continental fl ood basalts?." Geological Society of America Bulletin 120 (11/12): 1478-1492.
- Greentree, M. R., and Z. X. Li. 2008. "The oldest known rocks in south-western China: SHRIMP U-Pb magmatic crystallisation age and detrital provenance analysis of the Paleoproterozoic Dahongshan Group." Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 33 (5-6): 289-302.
- Li, Z. X., J. A. Wartho, S. Occhipinti, C. L. Zhang, X. H. Li, J. Wang, and C. Bao. 2007. "Early history of the eastern Sibao Orogen (South China) during the assembly of Rodinia: New mica 40Ar/39Ar dating and SHRIMP U-Pb detrital zircon provenance constraints." Precambrian Research 159: 79-94.
- Zhong, S., N. Zhang, Z. X. Li, and J. H. Roberts. 2007. "Supercontinent cycles, true polar wander, and very long-wavelength mantle convection." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 261: 551-564.
- Wang, X. C., X. H. Li, W. X. Li, and Z. X. Li. 2007. "Ca. 825 Ma komatiitic basalts in South China: First evidence for >1500 degrees C mantle melts by a Rodinian mantle plume." Geology 35 (12): 1103-1106.
- Li, Z. X., and X. H. Li. 2007. "Formation of the 1300-km-wide intracontinental orogen and postorogenic magmatic province in Mesozoic South China: A flat-slab subduction model." Geology 35 (2): 179-182.
- Zhang, C. L., X. H. Li, Z. X. Li, S. N. Lu, H. M. Ye, and H. M. Li. 2007. "Neoproterozoic ultramafic-mafic-carbonatite complex and granitoids in Quruqtagh of northeastern Tarim Block, western China: Geochronology, geochemistry and tectonic implications." Precambrian Research 152: 149-169.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, Y. Liu, C. Yuan, G. Wei, and C. Qi. 2007. "U-Pb zircon, geochemical and Sr-Nd-Hf isotopic constraints on age and origin of Jurassic I- and A-type granites from central Guangdong, SE China: A major igneous event in response to foundering of a subducted flat-slab?." Lithos 96: 186-204.
- Wang, X. C., X. H. Li, W. X. Li, and Z. X. Li. 2007. "Rodinia mantle plume: New evidence from the similar to 825Ma komatiitic basalts in South China." In 17th Annual V M Goldschmidt Conference, Cologne, GERMANY: PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, W. X. Li, and Y. J. Wang. 2006. "Initiation of the Indosinian Orogeny in South China: Evidence for a Permian Magmatic Arc on Hainan Island." Journal of Geology 114: 341-353.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, M. T. D. Wingate, S. L. Chung, Y. Liu, G. C. Lin, and W. X. Li. 2006. "Geochemistry of the 755 Ma Mundine Well dyke swarm, northwestern Australia: Part of a Neoproterozoic mantle superplume beneath Rodinia?." Precambrian Research 146: 1-15.
- Greentree, M. R., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, and H. Wu. 2006. "Late Mesoproterozoic to earliest Neoproterozoic basin record of the Sibao orogenesis in western South China and relationship to the assembly of Rodinia." Precambrian Research 151: 79-100.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, J. A. Sinclair, W. X. Li, and G. Carter. 2006. "Revisiting the 'Yanbian Terrane': Implications for Neoproterozoic tectonic evolution of the western Yangtze Block, South China." Precambrian Research 151: 14-30.
- Wu, H. C., S. H. Zhang, Z. X. Li, H. Y. Li, and J. Dong. 2005. "New paleomagnetic results from the Yangzhuang Formation of the Jixian System, North China, and tectonic implications." Chinese Science Bulletin 50 (14): 1483-1489.
- Li, W. X., X. H. Li, and Z. X. Li. 2005. "Neoproterozoic bimodal magmatism in the Cathaysia Block of South China and its tectonic significance." Precambrian Research 136: 51-66.
- Li, Z. X., D. A. D. Evans, and S. Zhang. 2004. "A 90 degree spin on Rodinia: possible causal links between the Neoproterozoic supercontinent, superplume, true polar wander and low-latitude glaciation." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 220: 409-421.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, P. D. Kinny, J. Wang, S. Zhang, and H. Zhou. 2003. "Geochronology of Neoproterozoic syn-rift magmatism in the Yangtze Craton, South China and correlations with other continents: evidence for a mantle superplume that broke up Rodinia." Precambrian Research 122 (1-4): 85-109.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, W. C. Ge, H. W. Zhou, W. X. Li, Y. Liu, and M. T. D. Wingate. 2003. "Neoproterozoic granitoids in South China: crustal melting above a mantle plume at ca. 825 Ma?." Precambrian Research 122 (1-4): 45-83.
- Wang, J., and Z. X. Li. 2003. "History of Neoproterozoic rift basins in South China: implications for Rodinia break-up." Precambrian Research 122 (1-4): 141-158.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, H. W. Zhou, and P. D. Kinny. 2002. "Grenvillian continental collision in South China: New SHRIMP U-Pb zircon results and implications for the configuration of Rodinia." Geology 30: 163-166.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, H. W. Zhou, Y. Liu, and P. D. Kinny. 2002. "U-Pb zircon geochronology, geochemistry and Nd isotopic study of Neoproterozoic bimodal volcanic rocks in the Kangdian Rift of South China: implications for the initial rifting of Rodinia." Precambrian Research 113: 135-154.
- Li, X., H. Zhou, Z. Li, and Y. Liu. 2002. "Petrogenesis of Neoproterozoic bimodal volcanics in western Sichuan and its tectonic implications: Geochemical and Sm-Nd isotopic constraints." Scientia Geologica Sinica 37 (3): 264-276.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, H. Zhou, Y. Liu, and X. Liang. 2002. "U-Pb zircon geochronological, geochemical and Nd isotopic study of Neoproterozoic basaltic magmatism in Western Sichuan: Petrogenesis and geodynamic implications." Earth Science Frontiers (English) 9 (4): 329-338.
- Li, Z. X., and C. M. Powell. 2001. "An outline of the palaeogeographic evolution of the Australasian region since the beginning of the Neoproterozoic." Earth Science Reviews 53 (3-4): 237-277.
- Li, X. H., Z. X. Li, W. C. Ge, H. W. Zhou, W. X. Li, Y. Liu, and L. Ying. 2001. "U-Pb zircon ages of the neoproterozoic granitoids in South China and their tectonic implications." Bulletin of Mineralogy Petrology and Geochemistry 20 (4): 271-273.
- Qiang, X. K., Z. X. Li, C. M. Powell, and H. B. Zheng. 2001. "Magnetostratigraphic record of the Late Miocene onset of the East Asian monsoon, and Pliocene uplift of northern Tibet." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 187 (1-2): 83-93.
- Evans, D. A. D., Z. X. Li, J. L. Kirschvink, and M. T. D. Wingate. 2000. "A high-quality mid-Neoproterozoic paleomagnetic pole from South China, with implications for ice ages and the breakup configuration of Rodinia." Precambrian Research 100 (1-3): 313-334.
- Li, Z. X. 2000. "Palaeomagnetic evidence for unification of the North and West Australian cratons by ca.1.7 Ga: New results from the Kimberley Basin of northwestern Australia." Geophysical Journal International 142 (1): 173-180.
- Chung, S. L., and Z. X. Li. 2000. "Trace element and isotope characteristics of cenozoic basalts around the tanlu fault with implications for the eastern plate boundary between North and South China: A reply." JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY 108 (6): 743-747.
- Zhang, Z., Z. Li, S. Li, Y. Xin, Z. Li, and X. Wang. 2000. "Geochemistry of the Jingpohu Holocene basaltic rocks, Heilongjiang province, and discussion on their deep processes." Acta Petrologica Sinica 16 (3): 327-336.
- Ge, W., X. Li, Z. Li, H. Zhou, J. Wang, and C. Lee. 2000. "Longsheng Ophiolite in North Guangxi revisited." Acta Petrologica Sinica 16 (1): 111-118.
- Zhang, S., Z. X. Li, H. Wu, and H. Wang. 2000. "New paleomagnetic result from the Neoproterozoic successions in southern North China Block and paleographic implications." Science in China, Series D: Earth Sciences 43 (SUPPLEMENT): 233-244.
- Li, Z. X. 2000. "New palaeomagnetic results from the 'cap dolomite' of the Neoproterozoic Walsh Tillite, northwestern Australia." Precambrian Research 100 (1-3): 359-370.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Li, P. D. Kinny, and J. Wang. 1999. "The breakup of Rodinia: Did it start with a mantle plume beneath South China?." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 173 (3): 171-181.
- Powell, C. M. A., N. H. S. Oliver, Z. X. Li, D. M. B. Martin, and J. Ronaszeki. 1999. "Synorogenic hydrothermal origin for giant Hamersley iron oxide ore bodies." Geology 27 (2): 175-178.
- Li, Z. X., and C. M. Powell. 1999. "Palaeomagnetic study of Neoproterozoic glacial rocks of the Yangzi Block: Palaeolatitude and configuration of South China in the late Proterozoic supercontinent." Precambrian Research 94 (1-2): 1-5.
- Wang, J., Z. X. Li, X. H. Li, and G. T. Pan. 1999. "Nanhua Rift: A Story of Continental Rift Related to Rodinia Break-up." Gondwana Research 2 (4): 614-615.
- Martin, D. M. B., Z. X. Li, A. A. Nemchin, and C. M. A. Powell. 1998. "A pre-2.2 Ga age for giant hematite ores of the Hamersley province, Australia." Economic Geology 93 (7): 1084-1090.
- Li, Z. X., J. Dobson, Z. Chen, W. J. Chang, and T. G. St Pierre. 1998. "Multimodal investigation of thermally induced changes in magnetic fabric and magnetic mineralogy." Geophysical Journal International 135 (3): 988-998.
- Zheng, H., K. H. Wyrwoll, Z. Li, and C. McA Powell. 1998. "Onset of aridity in southern Western Australia - A preliminary palaeomagnetic appraisal."
- Li, Z. X. 1998. "Tectonic history of the major east Asian lithospheric blocks since the mid-proterozoic - A synthesis." In Conference on Mantle Dynamics and Plate Interactions in East Asia, SAN FRANCISCO, CA: AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION.
- Li, Z. X., P. W. Baillie, and C. M. Powell. 1997. "Relationship between northwestern Tasmania and East Gondwanaland in the Late Cambrian/Early Ordovician: Paleomagnetic evidence." Tectonics 16 (1): 161-171.
- Li, Z., D. Fang, C. M. A. Powell, and G. Lou. 1997. "Oroclinal bending and block rotations in South China since the Mesozoic - Geological and paleomagnetic evidence." Chinese Science Bulletin 42 (2): 132-136.
- Li, Z. X., L. Zhang, and C. M. C. A. Powell. 1997. "Positions of the East Asian cratons in the Neoproterozic supercontinent Rodinia (vol 44, pg 593, 1996)." AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF EARTH SCIENCES 44 (2): 280-280.
- Li, Z. X., C. M. A. Powell, and L. Zhang. 1996. "Positions of the East Asian cratons in the Neoproterozoic supercontinent Rodinia." Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 43 (6): 593-604.
- Embleton, B. J. J., M. W. McElhinny, X. Ma, Z. Zhang, and Z. X. Li. 1996. "Permo-Triassic magnetostratigraphy in China: The type section near Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, North China." Geophysical Journal International 126 (2): 382-388.
- Li, Z. X., I. Metcalfe, and C. M. Powell. 1996. "Breakup of Rodinia and Gondwanaland and assembly of Asia - Introduction." AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF EARTH SCIENCES 43 (6): 591-592.
- Zheng-Xiang Li, Linghua Zhang, and C. M. Powell. 1995. "South China in Rodinia: part of the missing link between Australia- East Antarctica and Laurentia?." Geology 23 (5): 407-410.
- Chen, Z., Z. X. Li, and C. M. A. Powell. 1995. "Paleomagnetism of the Upper Devonian reef complexes, Canning Basin, Western Australia." Tectonics 14 (1): 154-167.
- Li, Z., I. Metcalfe, and X. Wang. 1995. "Vertical‐axis block rotations in southwestern China since the Cretaceous: New Paleomagnetic results from Hainan Island." Geophysical Research Letters 22 (22): 3071-3074.
- McCall, L., M. Dentith, Z. Li, and A. Trench.. "The magnetic signature of komatiitic peridotite-hosted nickel sulphide deposits in the Widgiemooltha area, Western Australia." Exploration Geophysics 26 Inpress.
- Hsü, K. J., P. Guitang, A. M. C. Sengör, U. Briegel, C. Haihong, L. Jiliang, W. Qingchen, C. Changhua, T. Lee, N. Harris, and 6 more contributors. 1995. "Tectonic evolution of the tibetan plateau: A working hypothesis based on the archipelago model of orogenesis." International Geology Review 37 (6): 473-508.
- Harris, L. B., and Z. X. Li. 1995. "Palaeomagnetic dating and tectonic significance of dolerite intrusions in the Albany Mobile Belt, Western Australia." Earth and Planetary Science Letters 131 (3-4): 143-164.
- LI, Z. X. 1995. "COLLISION BETWEEN THE NORTH AND SOUTH CHINA BLOCKS - A CRUSTAL-DETACHMENT MODEL FOR SUTURING IN THE REGION EAST OF THE TANLU FAULT - REPLY." GEOLOGY 23 (6): 575-576.
- Lin, S., and Z. X. Li. 1995. "Collision between the North and South China blocks: A crustal-detachment model for suturing in the region east of the Tanlu fault: Comment and Reply." Geology 23 (6): 574-576.
- Zheng-Xiang Li. 1994. "Collision between the north and south China blocks: a crustal- detachment model for suturing in the region east of the Tanlu Fault." Geology 22 (8): 739-742.
- Zhong Chen, Zheng-Xiang Li, C. M. Powell, and B. E. Balme. 1994. "An early Carboniferous paleomagnetic pole for Gondwanaland: new results from the Mount Eclipse Sandstone in the Ngalia Basin, central Australia." Journal of Geophysical Research 99 (B2): 2909-2924.
- Powell, C. M., and Z. X. Li. 1994. "Reconstruction of the Panthalassan margin of Gondwanaland." Memoir of the Geological Society of America 184 (1): 5-9.
- Powell, C. M. A., W. V. Preiss, C. G. Gatehouse, B. Krapez, and Z. X. Li. 1994. "South Australian record of a Rodinian epicontinental basin and its mid-neoproterozoic breakup (∼700 Ma) to form the Palaeo-Pacific Ocean." Tectonophysics 237 (3-4): 113-140.
- Chen, Z., Z. X. Li, C. M. A. Powell, and B. E. Balme. 1993. "Palaeomagnetism of the Brewer Conglomerate in central Australia, and fast movement of Gondwanaland during the Late Devonian." Geophysical Journal International 115 (2): 564-574.
- Li, Z. X., Z. Chen, and C. M. A. Powell. 1993. "New late Palaeozoic palaeomagnetic results from Cratonic Australia, and revision of the Gondwanan apparent polar wander path." Exploration Geophysics 24 (2): 263-268.
- Li, Z. X., and C. M. Powell. 1993. "Late Proterozoic to early Paleozoic paleomagnetism and the formation of Gondwanaland.
- Li, Z. X., and C. M. A. Powell. 1993. "Magnetic fabric in mid-Cambrian rocks of the Central Flinders Zone and implications for the regional tectonic history." Tectonophysics 223 (3-4): 165-176.
- Dobson, J. P., F. Heller, Z. Li, and H. Mauritsch. 1993. "Paleomagnetic and rock magnetic investigations of the Changxing Permian‐Triassic section, Zhejiang Province, China." Geophysical Research Letters 20 (16): 1667-1670.
- METCLAFE, I., J. H. SHERGOLD, and Z. X. LI. 1993. "IGCP 321 GONDWANA DISPERSION AND ASIAN ACCRETION - FIELDWORK ON HAINAN ISLAND - HAINAN, PEOPLES-REPUBLIC-OF-CHINA, JUNE AND JULY 1993." EPISODES 16 (4): 443-447.
- Powell, C. M., Z. X. Li, M. W. McElhinny, J. G. Meert, and J. K. Park. 1993. "Paleomagnetic constraints on timing of the Neoproterozoic breakup of Rodinia and the Cambrian formation of Gondwana." Geology 21 (10): 889-892.
- Powell, C. M. A., Z. X. Li, and M. W. McElhinny. 1993. "Palaeomagnetic tests of tectonic models of the Tasman Fold Belt during the Neoproterozoic and palaeozoic." Exploration Geophysics 24 (2): 243-246.
- Li, Z. X., C. A. McPowell, and R. Bowman. 1993. "Timing and genesis of Hamersley iron-ore deposits." Exploration Geophysics 24 (4): 631-636.
- TRENCH, A., W. S. MCKERROW, T. H. TORSVIK, Z. X. LI, and S. R. MCCRACKEN.. "The polarity of the Silurian magnetic field: Indications from a global data compilation." Journal of the Geological Society 150 Inpress.
- Trench, A., M. Dentith, and Z. Li.. "Palaeomagnetic dating of mineral deposits: A brief review and a Western Australian perspective." Exploration Geophysics 23 Inpress.
- Veevers, J. J., and Z. X. Li. 1991. "Review of seafloor spreading around Australia. II. marine magnetic anomaly modelling." Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 38 (4): 391-408.
- Li, Z. X., C. M. Powell, and D. G. Morris. 1991. "Syn-deformational and drilling-induced remanent magnetizations from diamond drill cores of the Mt Eclipse Sandstone, central Australia." Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 38 (4): 473-484.
- Li, Z. X., C. M. Powell, B. J. J. Embleton, and P. W. Schmidt. 1991. "New palaeomagnetic results from the Amadeus Basin and their implications for stratigraphy and tectonics." Bulletin - Bureau of Mineral Resources, Geology & Geophysics, Australia 236: 349-360.
- Schmidt, P. W., C. M. A. Powell, Z. X. Li, and G. A. Thrupp. 1990. "Reliability of Palaeozoic palaeomagnetic poles and APWP of Gondwanaland."
- Powell, C. M. A., Z. X. Li, G. A. Thrupp, and P. W. Schmidt. 1990. "Australian Palaeozoic palaeomagnetism and tectonics-I. Tectonostratigraphic terrane constraints from the Tasman Fold Belt."
- Li, Z. X., C. M. A. Powell, G. A. Thrupp, and P. W. Schmidt. 1990. "Australian Palaeozoic palaeomagnetism and tectonics-II. A revised apparent polar wander path and palaeogeography."
- Li, Z. X., C. M. A. Powell, and P. W. Schmidt. 1989. "Syn‐deformational remanent magnetization of the Mount Eclipse Sandstone, central Australia." Geophysical Journal International 99 (1): 205-222.
- Li, Z. X., P. W. Schmidt, and B. J. J. Embleton. 1988. "Paleomagnetism of the Hervey Group, Central New South Wales and its tectonic implications." Tectonics 7 (3): 351-367.
- Li, Z. 1987. "New palaeomagnetic results from Late Palaeozoic rocks of Australia and their tectonic significance.