Suvendrini (Suvendi) Perera is John Curtin Distinguished Professor and Research Professor of Cultural Studies in the School of Media, Culture & Creative Arts. She completed her BA at the University of Sri Lanka and her PhD at Columbia University, New York. Since coming to Australia she has published widely on issues of social justice, including decolonization, race, ethnicity and multiculturalism, refugee topics, critical whiteness studies and Asian-Australian studies.Suvendi began teaching career at the City University of New York. She has combined her academic career with participation in policymaking, public life and activism. Suvendi is the author/editor of seven books, including Reachs of Empire; Australia and the Insular Imagination: Beaches, Borders, Boats and Bodies and Survival Media: The Politics and Poetics of Mobility and the War in Sri Lanka. She is coeditor, with Sherene Razack, of the anthology, At the Limits of Justice: Women of Colour on Terror. She is currently the lead investigator on two ARC funded projects "Old Atrocities, New Media" and "Deathscapes." She is a founding member of Researchers Against Pacific Black Sites.
State violence and racialised deaths in custody; Borders and junctions in Asia and the Pacific; diaspora cultural studies; race, ethnicity and multiculturalism; refugees and asylum seekers; histories of coexistence in multiethnic societies; critical whiteness studies; feminism and womanism; migrant and Aboriginal interconnections in Australia.
Major Research Grants
2016-2019 ARC Discovery Grant (CI1) "Deathscapes: Mapping Race and State Violence in Settler Societies." Partners: Joseph Pugliese (Macquarie), Sherene Razack (Toronto), Jonathan Inda (Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), Marianne Franklin (Goldsmiths).
2014-2017 ARC Discovery Grant (CI), "Old Atrocities, New Media: Terror Images, Technological Consciousness and the Visual-Military Complex."
2005-2009 ARC Discovery Grant (CI) "Junction Zones: Multiethnicity in Australasia and the Pacific."
2015-2017 Social Sciences and Humanities Council (Canada) Partnership Development Grant "Racial Violence in Settler Societies: An Interactive Multi-Media Site of State Violence Against Indigenous and Racialized People." Co-investigator with Sherene Razack, University of Toronto. Community Partners: African Canadian Legal Clinic (ACLC),Toronto; Aboriginal Legal Service of Toronto; Indigenous Social Justice Association (ISJA), Sydney.
- Humanities Researcher of the year (Best essay) 2012 for "Landscapes of Massacre"
- Humanities award for Research Excellence (Best book) 2010 for Australia and the Insular Imagination.
- Humanities Researcher of the year (Best essay) 2009 for "The Gender of Borderpanic"
- Perera, S.. "See you in the funny pages: penal sites, teletechnics, counter-artifactualities." Social Identities TBA (TBA). Inpress.
- Perera, S. 2018. "Counter(feit) Sovereignties." In Ryan Presley: Prosperity King, M., 111-117 Brisbane, Australia: Institute of Modern Art (IMA).
- Perera, A. S. 2018. "Now, Little Ship." In Border Thinking: Disassembling Histories of Racialized Violence Gržinić, M., 178-187 New York: Sternberg Perss.
- Perera, S., and J. Pugliese. 2018. "Between Spectacle and Secret: The Politics of Non-Visibility and the Performance of Incompletion." In Visualising Human Rights Lydon, J., 85-99 Western Australia: UWA Press.
- Perera, S.. "Sexual Violence and the Border: Colonial Genealogies of US and Australian Immigration Detention Regimes." SOCIAL & LEGAL STUDIES TBA (TBA). Inpress.
- Perera, S. 2016. "Survival Media: The Politics and Poetics of Mobility and the War in Sri Lanka." New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Perera, S. 2016. "Survival Media: The Politics and Poetics of Mobility and the War in Sri Lanka." New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Perera, S. A., and A. Seeman. 2016. "Impolitical Mandate: De-fatalising a Port City." In Time, Temporality and Violence in International Relations: (De) Fatalizing the Present, Forgoing Radial Alternatives Anna Agathangelou, and Kyle Killam., 119-128 New York: Routledge.
- Perera, S. A. 2015. "In Flight: Castaways and the Poetics of Survial." Griffith Review 47: 288-298.
- Perera, S. A. 2015. "Burning our Boats." Journal of the Association for the Study of Australian Literature 15 (3)
- Perera, S. A. 2015. "Visibility, Atrocity and the Subject of Postcolonial Justice." Borderlands e journal 14 (1)
- Perera, S. A., and J. Pugliese. 2015. "Dgadi-Dugarang: Talk Loud, Talk Strong: A Tribute to Aboriginal leader Uncle Ray Jackson, 1941-20." Borderlands E-Journal: new spaces in the humanities 14 (1)
- Perera, S. A. 2015. "The Craft of Killing: Trophy Bodies and Atrocity Aesthetics." Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies 29 (5): 658-675.
- Perera, S. 2014. "Dead Exposures: Trophy Bodies and Violent Visibilities of the Nonhuman." Borderlands - e-journal 13 (1): 1-26.
- Perera, S. 2014. "Viewing Violence in a Far Country: Abu Ghraib and Terror's New Performativities." In At the Limits of Justice: Women on Colour on Terror, 455-471 USA: University of Toronto Press.
- Perera, S., and S. Razack. 2014. "Introduction: At the Limits of Justice." In At the Limits of Justice: Women on Colour on Terror, 1-14 USA: University of Toronto Press.
- Perera, S., and S. Razack. ed. 2014. "At the Limits of Justice Women of Colour on Terror." USA: University of Toronto Press.
- Perera, S. 2013. "Oceanic Corpo-graphies, Refugee Bodies and the Making and Unmaking of Waters." Feminist Review 103: 58-79.
- Perera, S., and A. Seeman.. "An Impolitical Mandate: Creativity Catastrophe Collaboration 2012." Perth, Australia: Edith Cowan University. Inpress.
- Perera, S., and J. Pugliese. 2012. "White Law of the Biopolitical." Journal of the European Association for Studies on Australia 3 (1): 87-100.
- Perera, S. 2012. "Missing in Action." Borderlands eJournal 11 (1)
- Perera, S. 2012. "'All the girls said serve him right'." In Dickens, Sexuality and Gender, 199-221 United Kingdom: Ashgate.
- Perera, S. 2012. "Wholesale, Retail and for Exportation." In Global Dickens, 521-544 United Kingdom: Ashgate.
- Seeman, A., and S. Perera. 2012. "text/image + image/text." Perth, Australia: School of Design and Art, Curtin University.
- Perera, S., and A. Seeman.. "Perera-Seeman Art Cards - The Year of Wishful Sinking." Australia: Gallery East. Inpress.
- Perera, S. 2011. "Introduction." In Living through Terror Perera, S., and A. Traverso., 1-7 London: Routledge.
- Perera, S. 2011. "Sri Lanka: Landscapes of Massacre." In Torture: Power, Democracy and the Human Body, 215-243 Seattle and London: University of Washington Press.
- Perera, S., and J. Pugliese. 2011. "Death in a Dry River: Black Life, White Property, Parched Justice." Somatechnics 1 (1): 65-86.
- Perera, S., and J. Pugliese. 2011. "Introduction: Combat Breathing: State Violence and the Body in Question." Somatechnics 1 (1): 1-14.
- Stratford, E., E. McMahon, M. Jackson, C. Farbotko, and S. Perera. 2011. "Review Forum - Reading Suvendrini Perera's Australia and the Insular Imagination." Political Geography 30: 329-338.
- Perera, S. 2010. "Torturous Dialogues: Geographies of Trauma and Spaces of Exception." Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies 24 (1): 31-45.
- Perera, S. 2010. "The Fear of Small Things: Australia in The Arc of Insecurity." In Enter at Own Risk, 161-185 Perth, Western Australia: Black Swan Press.
- Perera, S. 2010. "From Sovereignty to Sustainability: The Loops and Lineaments of Exclusion 2001-2010." In Enter at Own Risk, 1-28 Perth, Western Australia: Black Swan Press.
- Perera, S. 2010. "A Tale of Two Islands: Violent Relatedness and the Struggle over Geography." In Change - Conflict and Convergence: Austral-Asian Scenarios, 310-320 New Delhi, India: Orient Blackswan.
- Perera, S. 2010. "Uncivil Zones: Terror and Territoriality in the Geopolitical Shadowlands." In International Relations and States of Exception. Margins, Peripheries and Excluded Bodies, 31-47 London: Routledge.
- Perera, S. 2009. "Australia and the Insular Imagination: Beaches, Borders, Boats, and Bodies." New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Perera, S. 2009. "Invested With Violence: Security, Values and Embodied Citizenship." In Beyond the Hijab Debates: New Conversations on Gender, Race and Religion, 222-234 Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Perera, S., and J. Stratton. 2009. "Introduction: Heterochronotopes of exception and the frontiers and faultlines of citizenship." Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies 23 (5): 585-595.
- Perera, S. 2009. "'Living Through Terror: Introduction'." Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture 15 (1): 3-9.
- Perera, S. 2009. "White shores of longing: 'Impossible subjects' and the frontiers of citizenship." Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies 23: 647-662.
- Sheikh, M., C. R. MacIntyre, and S. Perera. 2008. "Preventive detention: the ethical ground where politics and health meet. Focus on asylum seekers in Australia." Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 62: 480-483.
- Perera, S. 2008. "The Gender of Borderpanic: Women in Circuits of Security, State, Globalisation and New (and Old) Empire." In Women, Crime and Social Harm: Towards a Criminology for the Global Age, 69-93 Oxford, United Kingdom: Hart Publishing.
- Perera, S. 2008. "The Skins of Pearls: Remembering and Forgetting in Diaspora Narratives." In Transnational South Asians: the Making of a Neo-Diaspora, 271-290 New Delhi, India: Oxford University Press.
- Perera, S. 2008. "A Case of Mistaken Identities? Retelling Malaysia's National Story." In Overcoming Passion for Race in Malaysia Cultural Studies, 13-27 Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill.
- Perera, S. 2008. "'I don't mind the headscarf but ...': Desperately Seeking Australian Cosmopolitanism." In As Others See Us: The Australian Values Debate, 137-147 North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia: Australian Scholarly Publishing.
- Perera, S. 2007. "Our Patch: Domains of Whiteness, Geographies of Lack and Australia's Racial Horizons in the War on Terror." In Our Patch: Enacting Australian Sovereighnty Post-2001, 119-146 Perth, Western Australia: Network Books.
- Perera, S. 2007. "'Aussie Luck': The Border Politics of Citizenship Post Cronulla Beach." Australian Critical Race and Whiteness Studies Association Journal 3
- Perera, S. 2007. "Scarred Geographies: War, Space, Postcolony." Borderlands - e-journal 6
- Perera, S. 2007. "A Pacific Zone? (In)Security, Sovereignty, and Stories of the Pacific Borderscape." In Borderscapes: Hidden Geographies and Politics and Territory's Edge, 201-227 Minneapolis, USA: University of Minnesota Press.
- Perera, S. 2007. "Our Patch: Enacting Australian Sovereignty Post-2001." Perth, Western Australia: Network Books.
- Perera, S. 2007. "Acting Sovereign." In Our Patch: Enacting Australian Sovereignty Post-2001, 1-20 Perth, Western Australia: Network Books.
- Perera, S. 2006. "They Give Evidence: Bodies, Borders and the Disappeared." Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture 12 (No. 6): 637-656.
- Perera, S. 2006. "Race terror, Sydney December, 2005." Borderlands - e-journal 5 (1): 1-21.
- Perera, S., and E. MacIntyre. 2006. "Dancing on a Minefield." In Jaffna and Colombo: A Century of Relationships in Three Plays, 249-253 Colombo: Vijitha Yapa Publications.
- Perera, S. 2006. "Il Genere Del Panico Da Confine. Le Donne Nei Circuiti Della Sicurezza, Dello Stato, Della Globalizzazione E Del Nuovo (E Vecchio) Impero [The kind of panic on the border. Women in the circuits of security, state, globalisation and the new (and old) Empire]." In Studi Sulla Questione Criminale [Studies On Criminal Issues], 134-158 Roma, Italy: Carocci Editore S.p.a.
- Perera, S. 2005. "Who will I Become? the Multiple Formations of Australian Whiteness." Australian Critical Race and Whiteness Studies Association Journal 1: 30-39.
- Perera, S. 2005. "'They Give Evidence': Bodies, Borders and the Disappeared." In University of Queensland Australian Studies Centre Conference, Nov 24, 2004, Brisbane, Queensland: Australian Studies Centre, University Of Queensland and National Centre for Australian Studies.
- Snell, E. 2005. "Lines of Sight." Ceramic Review: The international Magazine of Ceramic Art and Craft 211 (January/February): 18-21.
- Perera, S. 2004. "The Good Neighbour: Conspicuous Compassion and the Politics of Proximity." Borderlands - e-journal 3 (3)
- Perera, S. 2002. "What is a Camp...?." Borderlands - e-journal 1 (1): 1-12.
- Perera, S. 2002. "A Line in the Sea: Australia, Boat Stories and the Border." Cultural Studies Review 8 (1): 11-27.
- Perera, S. 2002. "Having Trouble with the Law: Racialised Punishment and the Testimonies of Resistance." In Romancing the Tomes: Feminism, Popular Culture and the Law, 113-130 United Kingdom: Cavendish Publishing Limited.
- Perera, S. 2001. "Cricket, with a Plot: Nationalism, Cricket, and Diasporic Identities." In A Companion to Cultural Studies, 510-527 Australia: Blackwell Publishing.