Mark Griffin is Director of the Future of Work Institute in the Faculty of Business and Law. The Institute promotes productive and meaningful work as essential foundations of a healthy economy and society. We focus on how people contribute to and benefit from new knowledge and practices. Our mission is to support thriving people and organisations in the digital age. The Future of Work Institute promotes productive and meaningful work as essential foundations of a healthy economy and society. We focus on how people contribute to and benefit from new knowledge and practices. Our mission is to support thriving people and organisations in the digital age.
Mark's research examines the way people contribute to organisational performance and his work has been published in top-tier journals such as Academy of Management and Journal of Applied Psychology. He has managed large-scale organizational projects in areas of safety, leadership, well-being, innovation, and productivity. Mark has managed collaborative projects with a range of industries including health, education, energy, mining, transport, and finance. He has developed assessment tools for use in these industries across Australia, Europe, UK, US, and Asia and is an expert in modelling multilevel and longitudinal data.
Mark has held appointements at the University of Queensland, The Queensland University of Technolgy, The University of Sheffield, UK, and The University of Western Australia.
Mark received his PhD from the Pennsylvania State University and he is currently Associate Editor for the Journal of Applied Psychology, previous Associate Editor of Journal of Management, and founding Associate Editor of Organizational Psychology Review. He is a Fellow of the US Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology in 2019 received the Society's Presidential recognition as a leading scientist-practitioner in the field. He has also previously held the role of Chair of the Research Methods Division of the US Academy of Management.
- Kandola, R., M. Curcuruto, M. Griffin, and J. I. Morgan. 2019. "The influence of organisational safety climate on group safety outcomes: The mediation role of supervisor safety communication and monitoring."
- Fruhen, L. S., I. Rossen, and M. A. Griffin. 2019. "The factors shaping car drivers’ attitudes towards cyclist and their impact on behaviour." Accident Analysis and Prevention 123: 235-242.
- Fruhen, L. S., M. A. Griffin, and D. M. Andrei. 2019. "What does safety commitment mean to leaders? A multi-method investigation." Journal of Safety Research 68: 203-214.
- Curcuruto, M., S. K. Parker, and M. A. Griffin. 2019. "Proactivity towards workplace safety improvement: an investigation of its motivational drivers and organizational outcomes." European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 28 (2): 221-238.
- Casey, T. W., A. Neal, and M. Griffin.. "LEAD operational safety: Development and validation of a tool to measure safety control strategies." Safety Science 118 Inpress.
- Curcuruto, M., S. M. Conchie, and M. A. Griffin.. "Safety citizenship behavior (SCB) in the workplace: A stable construct? Analysis of psychometric invariance across four European countries." Accident Analysis and Prevention 129 Inpress.
- Xia, N., M. A. Griffin, X. Wang, X. Liu, and D. Wang. 2018. "Is there agreement between worker self and supervisor assessment of worker safety performance? An examination in the construction industry." Journal of Safety Research 65: 29-37.
- Curcuruto, M., M. A. Griffin, R. Kandola, and J. I. Morgan. 2018. "Multilevel safety climate in the UK rail industry: A cross validation of the Zohar and Luria MSC scale." Safety Science 110: 183-194.
- Xia, N., P. X. W. Zou, M. A. Griffin, X. Wang, and R. Zhong. 2018. "Towards integrating construction risk management and stakeholder management: A systematic literature review and future research agendas." International Journal of Project Management 36 (5): 701-715.
- Flatau Harrison, H., M. A. Griffin, M. Gagne, and D. Andrei. 2018. "Assessing shortened safety climate measures: Simulating a planned missing data design in a field setting." Safety Science 104: 189-201.
- Hu, X., M. Griffin, G. Yeo, L. Kanse, M. Hodkiewicz, and K. Parkes. 2018. "A new look at compliance with work procedures: An engagement perspective." Safety Science 105: 46-54.
- Curcuruto, M., and M. A. Griffin. 2018. "Prosocial and proactive “safety citizenship behaviour” (SCB): The mediating role of affective commitment and psychological ownership." Safety Science 104: 29-38.
- Kanse, L., K. Parkes, M. Hodkiewicz, X. Hu, and M. Griffin. 2018. "Are you sure you want me to follow this? A study of procedure management, user perceptions and compliance behaviour." Safety Science 101: 19-32.
- Wang, Y., C. H. Wu, S. K. Parker, and M. A. Griffin. 2018. "Developing goal orientations conducive to learning and performance: An intervention study." Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 91 (4): 875-895.
- Xia, N., X. Wang, M. A. Griffin, C. Wu, and B. Liu. 2017. "Do we see how they perceive risk? An integrated analysis of risk perception and its effect on workplace safety behavior." Accident Analysis and Prevention 106: 234-242.
- Carpini, J. A., S. K. Parker, and M. A. Griffin. 2017. "A look back and a leap forward: A review and synthesis of the individual work performance literature." Academy of Management Annals 11 (2): 825-885.
- Stewart, M., W. Liu, R. Cardell-Oliver, and M. Griffin. 2017. "An interactive web-based toolset for knowledge discovery from short text log data." In International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications, Nov 5, 2017, Singapore: Springer.
- Tetrick, L. E., P. L. Perrewé, and M. Griffin. 2017. "Employee work-related health, stress, and safety." In Handbook of Employee Selection, Second Edition Farr, J., and N. Tippins., 530-553 New York: Routledge.
- Curcuruto, M., M. A. Griffin, and M. R. Hodkiewicz. 2017. "Dynamic safety capability and organizational management systems: An assessment tool to evaluate the "fitness-to-operate" in high-risk industrial environments." Chemical Engineering Transactions 57: 289-294.
- Warmerdam, A., S. Newnam, D. Sheppard, M. Griffin, and M. Stevenson. 2017. "A new approach to managing work-related road traffic injury: The development of a health investment framework." Traffic Injury Prevention 18 (6): 631-635.
- Newnam, S., A. Warmerdam, D. Sheppard, M. Griffin, and M. Stevenson. 2017. "Do management practices support or constrain safe driving behaviour? A multi-level investigation in a sample of occupational drivers." Accident Analysis and Prevention 102: 101-109.
- Casey, T., M. A. Griffin, H. F. Harrison, and A. Neal. 2017. "Safety climate and culture: Integrating psychological and systems perspectives." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 22 (3): 341-353.
- Horton, K. E., and M. A. Griffin. 2017. "Identification complexity and conflict: how multiple identifications affect conflict across functional boundaries." European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 26 (2): 286-298.
- Warmerdam, A., S. Newnam, D. Sheppard, M. Griffin, and M. Stevenson. 2017. "Workplace road safety risk management: An investigation into Australian practices." Accident Analysis and Prevention 98: 64-73.
- Griffin, M. A., J. L. Cordery, and C. Soo. 2016. "Dynamic safety capability: How organizations proactively change core safety systems." Organizational Psychology Review 6 (3): 248-272.
- Hu, X., M. A. Griffin, and M. Bertuleit. 2016. "Modelling antecedents of safety compliance: Incorporating theory from the technological acceptance model." Safety Science 87: 292-298.
- Parker, S. K., and U. K. Bindl. 2016. "Proactivity at work: A big picture perspective on a construct that matters." In Proactivity at Work: Making Things Happen in Organizations, 1-20
- Louw, K. R., P. D. Dunlop, G. B. Yeo, and M. A. Griffin. 2016. "Mastery approach and performance approach: the differential prediction of organizational citizenship behavior and workplace deviance, beyond HEXACO personality." Motivation and Emotion 40 (4): 566-576.
- Fruhen, L., L. Wang, M. Griffin, D. Finnerty, K. Jorritsma, and A. Boeing. 2016. "Getting safety leadership right."
- Griffin, M. A., and M. Curcuruto. 2016. "Safety Climate in Organizations." Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior 3: 191-212.
- Dormann, C., and M. A. Griffin. 2015. "Optimal time lags in panel studies." Psychological Methods 20 (4): 489-505.
- Griffin, M. 2015. "Fitness to operate and safety in changing and unpredictable environments."
- Wu, C. H., M. A. Griffin, and S. K. Parker. 2015. "Developing agency through good work: Longitudinal effects of job autonomy and skill utilization on locus of control." Journal of Vocational Behavior 89: 102-108.
- Strauss, K., M. A. Griffin, S. K. Parker, and C. M. Mason. 2015. "Building and Sustaining Proactive Behaviors: The Role of Adaptivity and Job Satisfaction." Journal of Business and Psychology 30 (1): 63-72.
- Griffin, M. A., M. Hodkiewicz, J. Dunster, L. Kanse, K. Parkes, D. Finnerty, J. L. Cordery, and K. Unsworth. 2014. "A conceptual framework and practical tool for assessing fitness-to-operate in the offshore oil and gas industry." Accident Analysis and Prevention 68: 156-171.
- Talati, Z., and M. Griffin. 2014. "Patient safety culture and organisational behaviour: Integrating error, leadership and the work environment." In Patient Safety Culture: Theory, Methods and Application Waterson, P., 43-66 England: Ashgate Publishing.
- Horton, K. E., C. R. McClelland, and M. A. Griffin. 2014. "Defined by our hierarchy? How hierarchical positions shape our identifications and well-being at work." Human Relations 67 (10): 1167-1188.
- Newnam, S., D. M. Sheppard, M. A. Griffin, R. J. McClure, G. Heller, M. R. Sim, and M. R. Stevenson. 2014. "Work-related road traffic injury: A multilevel systems protocol." Injury Prevention 20 (4)
- Mason, C., M. Griffin, and S. Parker. 2014. "Transformational leadership development: Connecting psychological and behavioral change." Leadership and Organization Development Journal 35 (3): 174-194.
- Griffin, M. A., and X. Hu. 2013. "How leaders differentially motivate safety compliance and safety participation: The role of monitoring, inspiring, and learning." Safety Science 60: 196-202.
- Strauss, K., M. A. Griffin, and S. K. Parker. 2012. "Future work selves: How salient hoped-for identities motivate proactive career behaviors." Journal of Applied Psychology 97 (3): 580-598.
- Wu, C. H., and M. A. Griffin. 2012. "Longitudinal relationships between core self-evaluations and job satisfaction." Journal of Applied Psychology 97 (2): 331-342.
- Parker, S. K., and M. A. Griffin. 2011. "Understanding active psychological states: Embedding engagement in a wider nomological net and closer attention to performance." European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 20 (1): 60-67.
- Griffin, M. A., S. K. Parker, and C. M. Mason. 2010. "Leader Vision and the Development of Adaptive and Proactive Performance: A Longitudinal Study." Journal of Applied Psychology 95 (1): 174-182.
- Tetrick, L. E., P. L. Perrewé, and M. Griffin. 2010. "Employee work-related health, stress, and safety." In Handbook of Employee Selection, 531-549
- Strauss, K., M. A. Griffin, and A. E. Rafferty. 2009. "Proactivity directed toward the team and organization: The role of leadership, commitment and role-breadth self-efficacy." British Journal of Management 20 (3): 279-291.
- Rodriguez, M. A., and M. A. Griffin. 2009. "From error prevention to error learning: The role of error management in global leadership." Advances in Global Leadership 5: 93-112.
- Griffin, M. A., S. K. Parker, and A. Neal. 2008. "Is Behavioral Engagement a Distinct and Useful Construct?." INDUSTRIAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY-PERSPECTIVES ON SCIENCE AND PRACTICE 1 (1): 48-51.
- Newnam, S., M. A. Griffin, and C. Mason. 2008. "Safety in Work Vehicles: A Multilevel Study Linking Safety Values and Individual Predictors to Work-Related Driving Crashes." Journal of Applied Psychology 93 (3): 632-644.
- Rafferty, A. E., and M. A. Griffin. 2008. "Organizational change." In The SAGE Handbook of Organizational Behavior: Volume I - Micro Approaches, 602-620
- Maierhofer, N. I., B. Kabanoff, and M. A. Griffin. 2008. "The Influence of Values in Organizations: Linking Values and Outcomes at Multiple Levels of Analysis." In International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2002, 217-263
- Griffin, M. A., A. Neal, and S. K. Parker. 2007. "A new model of work role performance: Positive behavior in uncertain and interdependent contexts." Academy of Management Journal 50 (2): 327-347.
- Griffin, M. A. 2007. "Specifying organizational contexts: Systematic links between contexts and processes in organizational behavior." Journal of Organizational Behavior 28 (7): 859-863.
- Neal, A., and M. A. Griffin. 2006. "A study of the lagged relationships among safety climate, safety motivation, safety behavior, and accidents at the individual and group levels." Journal of Applied Psychology 91 (4): 946-953.
- Neale, M., and M. A. Griffin. 2006. "A model of self-held work roles and role transitions." Human Performance 19 (1): 23-41.
- Rafferty, A. E., and M. A. Griffin. 2006. "Perceptions of organizational change: A stress and coping perspective." Journal of Applied Psychology 91 (5): 1154-1162.
- Rafferty, A. E., and M. A. Griffin. 2006. "Refining individualized consideration: Distinguishing developmental leadership and supportive leadership." Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 79 (1): 37-61.
- Jones, R. A., A. E. Rafferty, and M. A. Griffin. 2006. "The executive coaching trend: Towards more flexible executives." Leadership and Organization Development Journal 27 (7): 583-595.
- Neale, M., A. E. Rafferty, and M. A. Griffin. 2005. "People making the place: How co-workers' voice and helping behaviours influence perceptions of organisational climate.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2005. "Group task satisfaction ...The group's shared attitude to its task and work environment." Group and Organization Management 30 (6): 625-652.
- Mason, C. M., A. C. F. Chang, and M. A. Griffin. 2005. "Strategic Use of Employee Opinion Surveys: Using a Quasi-Linkage Approach to Model the Drivers of Organisational Effectiveness." Australian Journal of Management 30 (1): 127-143.
- Rafferty, A. E., and M. A. Griffin. 2004. "Dimensions of transformational leadership: Conceptual and empirical extensions." Leadership Quarterly 15 (3): 329-354.
- Sutton, G., and M. A. Griffin. 2004. "Integrating expectations, experiences, and psychological contract violations: A longitudinal study of new professionals." Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 77 (4): 493-514.
- Griffin, M. A., A. E. Rafferty, and C. M. Mason. 2004. "Who started this? Investigating different sources of organizational change." Journal of Business and Psychology 18 (4): 555-570.
- Neale, M., and M. A. Griffin. 2003. "Integrating performance constructs across multiple levels: An integrative model and definition of organisational citizenship.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Jones, R., and M. A. Griffin. 2003. "A new conceptualisation of managerial flexibility and its impact on managerial performance.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2003. "Investigating moderators of the relationship between individual attitudes and shared attitudes within the group.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2003. "Group absenteeism and positive affective tone: A longitudinal study." Journal of Organizational Behavior 24 (6): 667-687.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2003. "Identifying group task satisfaction at work." Small Group Research 34 (4): 413-442.
- Parker, S. K., M. A. Griffin, C. A. Sprigg, and T. D. Wall. 2002. "Effect of temporary contracts on perceived work characteristics and job strain: A longitudinal study." Personnel Psychology 55 (3): 689-719.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2002. "Group task satisfaction: Applying the construct of job satisfaction to groups." Small Group Research 33 (3): 271-312.
- Parker, S. K., and M. A. Griffin. 2002. "What is so bad about a little name-calling? Negative consequences of gender harassment for overperformance demands and distress." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 7 (3): 195-210.
- Griffin, M. A., F. J. Landy, and L. Mayocchi. 2002. "AUSTRALIAN INFLUENCES ON ELTON MAYO: The Construct of Revery in Industrial Society." History of Psychology 5 (4): 356-375.
- Griffin, M. A., M. G. Patterson, and M. A. West. 2001. "Job satisfaction and teamwork: The role of supervisor support." Journal of Organizational Behavior 22 (5): 537-550.
- Griffin, M. A. 2001. "Dispositions and work reactions: A multilevel approach." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PSYCHOLOGY 86 (6): 1142-1151.
- Griffin, M. A., J. E. Mathieu, and R. R. Jacobs. 2001. "Perceptions of work contexts: Disentangling influences at multiple levels of analysis." Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 74 (5): 563-579.
- Griffin, M. A. 2001. "Integrated model.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Mason, C. M., and M. A. Griffin. 2001. "Organisational diagnosis for work groups: Taking account of change over time.": AUSTRALIAN PSYCHOLOGICAL SOC.
- Griffin, M. A. 2001. "Dispositions and work reactions: A multilevel approach." Journal of Applied Psychology 86 (6): 1142-1151.
- Neal, A., M. A. Griffin, and P. M. Hart. 2000. "The impact of organizational climate on safety climate and individual behavior." Safety Science 34 (1-3): 99-109.
- Griffin, M. A., A. Neal, and M. Neale. 2000. "The contribution of task performance and contextual performance to effectiveness: Investigating the role of situational constraints."
- Neal, A. F., M. A. Griffin, J. Paterson, and P. Bordia. 2000. "Developing measures of situation awareness, task performance, and contextual performance in air traffic control." In 4th Australian Aviation Psychology Symposium, MANLY, AUSTRALIA: ASHGATE PUBLISHING LTD.
- Maierhofer, N. I., M. A. Griffin, and M. Sheehan. 2000. "Linking manager values and behavior with employee values and behavior: a study of values and safety in the hairdressing industry." Journal of occupational health psychology 5 (4): 417-427.
- Griffin, M. A., and A. Neal. 2000. "Perceptions of safety at work: a framework for linking safety climate to safety performance, knowledge, and motivation." Journal of occupational health psychology 5 (3): 347-358.
- Sutton, G., and M. A. Griffin. 2000. "Transition from student to practitioner: The role of expectations, values and personality." British Journal of Occupational Therapy 63 (8): 380-388.
- Miller, R. L., M. A. Griffin, and P. M. Hart. 1999. "Personality and organizational health: The role of conscientiousness." Work and Stress 13 (1): 7-19.
- Neal, A., and M. A. Griffin. 1999. "Developing a model of individual performance for human resource management." Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources 37 (2): 44-59.
- Jimmieson, N. L., and M. A. Griffin. 1998. "Linking client and employee perceptions of the organization: A study of client satisfaction with health care services." Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 71 (1): 81-96.
- Griffin, M. A. 1997. "Interaction between individuals and situations: Using HLM procedures to estimate reciprocal relationships." Journal of Management 23 (6): 759-773.
- Griffin, M. A. 1997. "Multilevel influences on work attitudes: Organisational and individual predictors of pay satisfaction." Australian Psychologist 32 (3): 190-195.
- Griffin, M. A., and J. E. Mathieu. 1997. "Modeling organizational processes across hierarchical levels: Climate, leadership, and group process in work groups." Journal of Organizational Behavior 18 (6): 731-744.
- Griffin, M. A., P. E. Tesluk, and R. R. Jacobs. 1995. "Bargaining cycles and work-related attitudes: Evidence for threat-rigidity effects." ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT JOURNAL 38 (6): 1709-1725.
- GRIFFIN, M. A., J. E. MATHIEU, and R. R. JACOBS. 1994. "PERCEPTIONS OF WORK CONTEXTS - DIFFERENTIATING THE PERSON AND THE SITUATION." In Meeting of the Educational-Studies-and-Research-Group, at the 12th Annual International Conference of the Association-of-Management, Aug 10, 1994, DALLAS, TX: MAXIMILIAN PRESS PUBLISHERS.