Bachelor of Commerce, 1981
University of Melbourne
Professional Year, 1983
Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA)
Masters of Accounting - Coursework/Research, 1992
University of Western Australia
Thesis: The Australian Capital Gains Tax Legislation in Retrospect: “A reflection on The Asprey Recommendations”
Fellow of Australian Institute of Chartered Accountants (FCA), 1998
Doctor of Philosophy, 2006
University of Western Australia
Thesis: The accuracy of auditing team decision making: Effects of team structure and task complexity analyzed using the multi-level theory of team decision making.
University of Western Australia- Lecturer School of Accounting and Finance
Nelson Parkhill BDO CA (Training Consultant)
Bell Group (Top 100 Listed Company)- Group management accountant
KPMG-Peat Marwick- Audit Supervisor
Behavioural decision making in auditing, ethics and Teaching and Learning issues relating to workload, Accounting education, Financial disclsorue in deveoping econmies, CSR reporting and NFP sector.
Auditing, Ethics, Financial Accounting, Accounting Education
Major Internal Service Roles:
- Elected Member University Council (2013 to current)
- Head of School, School of Accounting (From 2008 to 2014)
- Member Curtin Business School AACSB Steering Committee (2010 to 2014)
- Member University Academic Board Executive Committee (2011 -2013)
- Member University Academic Board (2009 to current)
- Member Curtin Business School Senior Leadership Team (2008 to 2014)
- Member School of Accounting External Advisory Board (2008 to 2014)
- School of Accounting Ombudsperson (2006- 2008)
- Member Audit Advisory Committee (National) Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (2013 to current)
- Adjunct Professor -Nanjing Audit University (2013 to 2016)
- Commissioner –Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia (2012 to current)
- Chair -Catholic Education Commission Finance Standing Committee (current)
- Deputy Chair 2014 -Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Regional Council WA- member (2009 to current)
- Education Portfolio -Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Regional Council WA -Education Portfolio (2010 to current)
- Member - WA Curriculum Council - Reference group Accounting and Finance (2007- 2009)
- Mercycare Board Member (2012 to current)
- Mercycare Chair Finance Committee (2012 to 2014)
- Mercycare Finance, Risk and Audit Compliance committee (2013 to current)
- Awards and Scholarships Received/Nominations
2015 Perpetual Scholarship: Australian Institute of Company Directors Governance Foundations for Not-For-Profit Directors course
2013 Curtin Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award for Programs that Enhance Student learning: Chinese Articulation Student Induction Program CBS Teaching and Learning Award Winner for Programs that Enhance Learning
2012 Student Learning : Chinese Articulation Student Induction Program
2009 ALTC National Teaching Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
2009 Curtin University of Technology Australian Learning and Teaching Council nomination for Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
For the development of a ‘student centred’ culture within the School of Accounting which incorporates motivating, engaging and inspiring students’ interest in accounting and helping them develop independent learning skills
2008 Curtin University of Technology Carrick nomination for Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
2008 Curtin University Award for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching
2008 Best Paper Award, Education Stream at AFAANZ/IAAER Conference Sydney
2007 Curtin Business School Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning
1999 Excellence in Teaching- Faculty Award Commendation
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Auditing, Corporate Governance, Ethics and Financial Accounting.
Taught the following modules:
Accounting 1 Financial Accounting
Accounting 2 Auditing and Assurance Services incorporating Accounting Information Systems
Financial Reporting and Assurance Services
Financial Accounting and Reporting
Auditing and Assurance
Strategic Business Management
- Scully, G. E. M., C. M. Lau, and A. Lee. 2018. "The effects of organizational politics on employee motivations to participate in target setting and employee budgetary participation." JOURNAL OF BUSINESS RESEARCH 90: 247-259.
- Caratti, S., D. A. M. Pinto, G. Scully, and B. Perrin. 2018. "An analysis of the Tax Practitioners Board outsourcing exposure draft." The Tax Specialist Feb 2018: 106-113.
- Scully, G. E. M., H. P. Koh, and D. Woodliff. 2018. "Can Anticipating Time Pressure Reduce the Likelihood of Unethical Behaviour Occurring?." JOURNAL OF BUSINESS ETHICS 153 (1) (2018): 197-213.
- Scully, G. E. M., E. Vafaei, D. Gilchrist, and H. Singh. 2018. "Same, same but different : a comparison between performance audit and operational audit." In Public Sector Accounting Accountability and Governance Globalising the Experiences of Australia and New Zealand Pilcher, R., and D. Gilchrist., 92-104 Perth: Routledge.
- Caratti, S., B. Perrin, and G. Scully. 2016. "An accounting firm perspective of offshoring." In Shared Services and Outsourcing:A Contemporary Outlook Kotlarsky, J., I. Oshri, and L. P. Willcocks., 137-165 Switzerland: Springer.
- Soontiens, W., R. B. Kerr, G. Ang, and G. Scully. 2016. "Stakeholder informed non-traditional student induction: a balanced approach." International Journal of Educational Management 30 (4): 536-551.
- Lau, C. M., and G. Scully. 2015. "The roles of organizational politics and fairness in the relationship between performance management systems and trust." Behavioral Research in Accounting 27 (1): 25-53.
- Rusmin, R., E. W. Astami, and G. Scully. 2014. "Local government units in Indonesia: Demographic attributes and differences in financial condition." Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal 8 (2): 88-109.
- Fan, Y. H., G. Woodbine, and G. Scully. 2014. "Guanxi, a Two-edged Sword! How Australian Accounting Professionals View the Process within a Moral Framework." Managerial Auditing Journal 29 (8): 695-716.
- Scully, G., and R. Kerr. 2014. "Student Workload and Assessment: Strategies to Manage Expectations and Inform Curriculum Development." Accounting Education: An International Journal 23 (5): 443-466.
- Scully, G. E. M., and K. Kerr. 2014. "Managing divergent student workload perceptions and expectations in an undergraduate and graduate accounting course." Accounting Education: An International Journal 23 (5): 443-466.
- Rusmin, R., G. Scully, and G. Tower. 2013. "Income Smoothing Behaviour By Asian Transportation Firms." Managerial Auditing Journal 28 (1): 23-44.
- Woodbine, G., Y. Fan, and G. Scully. 2013. "How Chinese Auditors' Relativistic Ethical Orientations Influence Their Love of Money." Electronic Journal of Business Ethics and Organization 18 (2): 20-29.
- Fan, Y. H., G. Woodbine, and G. Scully. 2012. "Guanxi and its influence on the judgements of Chinese auditors." Asia Pacific Business Review 18 (1): 83-97.
- Fan, Y. H., G. Woodbine, and G. Scully. 2012. "Chinese auditors' views about independence and employer values." Asian Review of Accounting 20 (1): 74-87.
- Woodbine, G., Y. H. Fan, and G. Scully. 2012. "The ethical orientations of Chinese auditors and the effect on the judgements they make." Asian journal of business ethics 1 (2): 195-216.
- Fan, Y. H., G. Woodbine, G. Scully, and R. Taplin. 2012. "Accounting Students' Perceptions of Guanxi and Their Ethical Judgments." Journal of Business Ethics Education 9: 27-50.
- Koh, H. P., G. Scully, and D. R. Woodliff. 2011. "The impact of cumulative pressure on accounting students' propensity to commit plagiarism: an experimental approach." Accounting and Finance 51 (4): 985-1005.
- Ang, G., R. Kerr, G. Scully, and W. Soontiens. 2011. "Using student feedback to inform continuous improvement of an articulation academic induction program - A narrative of the CBS story." In China-Australia International Conference on Accounting and Finance 2011, Nov 25, 2011, Wuhan, China: Zhongnan University.
- Anh Vu, K., G. Tower, and G. Scully. 2011. "Corporate communication for Vietnamese listed firms." Asian Review of Accounting 19 (2): 125-146.
- Rusmin, R., G. Scully, G. Tower, and R. Taplin.. "The impact of corporate governance and ownership concentration on audit quality in three Asia pacific stock markets." The Asia Pacific Journal of Economics and Business 13 (2). Inpress.
- Tower, G., R. Rusmin, A. Lee, E. Goforth, S. Porter, G. Scully, I. Singh, G. Taylor, H. Ke, B. Tian, and 2 more contributors. 2008. "Assesment of individual research performance for UK and Irish accounting and finance academics." The Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government 14: 1-19.
- Scully, G., and J. boujos.. "The current attitudes of members of the accounting profession and legal profession to multi-disciplinary professional practice." Australian Accounting Review 7 (14). Inpress.
- Boujos, J., and G. Scully. 1997. "Multi-disciplinary Professional Practice: Recent Developments and Attitudes of Accounting and Legal Practitioners." Australian Accounting Review 7 (14): 59-72.