Tama Leaver is an Associate Professor in Internet Studies at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia and frequent expert media commentator. His research interests include online identity, social media, digital death, infancy online, mobile gaming and the changing landscape of media distribution. He has published in a number of journals including Popular Communication,Media International Australia, First Monday, Comparative Literature Studies, Social Media and Society,Communication Research and Practice and theFibreculture journal, and is the author of Artificial Culture: Identity, Technology and Bodies (Routledge, 2012); co-editor of An Education in Facebook? Higher Education and the World’s Largest Social Network (Routledge, 2014) with Mike Kent; and Social, Casual and Mobile Games: The Changing Gaming Landscape (Bloomsbury Academic, 2016) with Michele Willson. He has been awarded teaching awards from the University of Western Australia, Curtin University, and in 2012 received a national Australian Award for Teaching Excellence in the Humanities and the Arts.
BA(Hons) (W.Aust) PhD (W.Aust)
I am involved in five main research programmes:
- The Ends of Identity (Birth and Death Online)
- Social, Casual and Mobile Gaming
- Digital Distribution and the Tyranny of Digital Distance
- Networked Learning and Participatory Pedagogies
- Artificial Culture
- digital death;
- social media;
- copyright (in particular the Creative Commons and other alternative copyright arrangements)
- cultural studies;
- participatory culture;
- citizen journalism;
- film studies;
- science fiction;
- flexible delivery;
- open educational resources (OERs);
- social software (including Facebook, Twitter and MySpace);
- teaching & learning in higher education.
The Association of Internet Researchers <http://aoir.org/>
The Australian and New Zealand Communication Association <http://www.anzca.net/>
- 2012: Australian Award for University Teaching in the Humanities and Arts.
Awarded by the (National) Office of Teaching and Learning.
- 2011: Curtin Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award.
Awarded by Curtin University.
- 2005: Excellence in Teaching Award: Early Career Teacher.
Awarded by the University of Western Australia.
Teaching - Undergraduate
In 2018 I am teaching the upper level unit Web Media, and have previously taugh and written a range of units including Web Communications and Online Play.
- McCausland, K., B. Maycock, T. Leaver, and J. Jancey. 2019. "The messages presented in electronic cigarette–related social media promotions and discussion: Scoping review." Journal of Medical Internet Research 21 (2)
- Leaver, T., T. Highfield, and C. Abidin.. "Instagram Visual Social Media Cultures.": Polity Press. Inpress.
- Leaver, T., and T. Highfield. 2018. "Visualising the ends of identity: pre-birth and post-death on Instagram." Information Communication And Society 21 (1): 30-45.
- Willson, M., M. Tye, S. Gorman, K. Ely-Harper, R. Creagh, T. Leaver, M. Magladry, and O. Efthimiou.. "Framing the women’s AFL: contested spaces and emerging narratives of hope and opportunity for women in sport." Sport in Society TBA (TBA). Inpress.
- Montgomery, L., C. Neylon, A. Ozaygen, and T. Leaver. 2018. "Getting the best out of data for open access monograph presses: A case study of UCL Press." Learned Publishing 31 (4): 335-344.
- Leaver, T. B. 2018. "Co-Creating Birth and Death on Social Media." In A Networked Self and Birth, Life, Death Papacharissi, Z., 35-49 New York: Routledge.
- Albury, K., T. Leaver, A. Marwick, J. W. Rettberg, and T. Senft. 2017. "The selfie course: More than a MOOC." In Massive Open Online Courses and Higher Education: What Went Right, What Went Wrong and Where to Next? Bennett, R., and M. Kent., 168-182 Okon, UK; New York, USA: Routledge.
- Leaver, T. 2017. "Intimate surveillance: normalizing parental monitoring and mediation of infants online." Social Media and Society 3 (2)
- Leaver, T., and B. Nansen. 2017. "Infancy online: An introduction." Social Media and Society 3 (2)
- Highfield, T., and T. Leaver. 2016. "Instagrammatics and digital methods: Studying visual social media, from selfies and GIFs to memes and emoji." Communication Research and Practice 2 (1): 47-62.
- Willson, M., and T. Leaver. ed. 2016. "Social, Casual and Mobile Games The Changing Gaming Landscape." New York, London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Willson, M. A., and T. Leaver. 2016. "Social networks, casual games and mobile devices: The shifting contexts of gamers and gaming." In Social, Casual and Mobile Games: The Changing Gaming Landscape Willson, M., and T. Leaver., 1-11 New York, London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Leaver, T. 2016. "Angry Birds as a Social Network Market." In Social, Casual and Mobile Games: The Changing Gaming Landscape Leaver, T., and M. Willson., 213-224 New York, USA: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Highfield, T., and T. Leaver. 2015. "A methodology for mapping Instagram hashtags." First Monday 20 (1)
- Leaver, T., and C. Lloyd. 2015. "Seeking Transparency in Locative Media." In Locative Media Wilken, R., and G. Goggin., 162-174 London and New York: Routledge.
- Willson, M., and T. Leaver. 2015. "Zynga's FarmVille, social games, and the ethics of big data mining." Communication Research and Practice 1 (2): 147-158.
- Leaver, T. 2015. "Researching the Ends of Identity: Birth and Death on Social Media." Social Media + Society 1 (1)
- Leaver, T. 2015. "Radically performing the Borg? Gender Identity and Narratology in Star Trek." In The Star Trek Universe: Franchising the Final Frontier Brode, D., and S. T. Brode., 65-74 London and New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Leaver, T., and N. Bjorn. 2015. "Beginnings." M/C Journal 18 (5): 1-3.
- Leaver, T. 2015. "Born Digital? Presence, Privacy, and Intimate Surveillance." In Re-Orientation: Translingual Transcultural Transmedia. Studies in narrative, language, identity, and knowledge Hartley, J., and W. QU., 149-160 Shanghai: Fudan University Press.
- Kent, M., and T. Leaver. 2014. "The Revolution That's Already Happening." In An Education in Facebook? Higher Education and the world's largest social network 1st., 1-10 New York and London: Routledge.
- Leaver, T., and M. Kent. 2014. "Facebook in Education: Lessons Learnt." Digital Culture and Education 6 (1): 60-65.
- 2014. "An Education in Facebook? Higher Education and the world's largest social network." 1st. New York and London: Routledge.
- Leaver, T. 2014. "Facebook, Student Engagement and the 'Uni Coffee Shop' Group." In An Education in Facebook? Higher Education and the world's largest social network 1st., 121-131 New York and London: Routledge.
- Leaver, T. 2013. "Joss Whedon, Dr. Horrible, and the Future of Web Media." Popular Communication 11 (2): 160-173.
- Leaver, T. 2013. "The Social Media Contradiction: Data Mining and Digital Death." M/C Journal: A Journal of Media and Culture 16 (2)
- Leaver, T. 2013. "Selling an Australian Cinderella? YouTube Stories." In Telling Stories: Australian Life and Literature 1935-2012, 573-578 Australia: Monash University Publishing.
- Leaver, T. 2013. "Olympic Trolls: Mainstream Memes and Digital Discord." Fibreculture Journal 22: 216-233.
- Balnaves, M., M. Willson, and T. Leaver. 2012. "Entering Farmville: Finding Value in Social Games." In Australian and New Zealand Communication Association conference 2012, Jun 4, 2012, Adelaide, Australia: Australian and New Zealand Communication Association.
- Leaver, T. 2012. "Artificial Mourning: The Spider-Man Trilogy and September 11th." In Web-Spinning Heroics: Critical Essays on the History and Meaning of Spider-Man, 154-164 USA: McFarland and Company Inc.
- Leaver, T. 2012. "Twittering informal learning and student engagement in first-year units." In Engaging students with learning technologies, 97-110 Australia: Curtin University.
- Leaver, T., M. Willson, and M. Balnaves. 2012. "Transparency and the Ubiquity of Information Filtration?." Ctrl-Z: New Media Philosophy 1 (2)
- Leaver, T. 2012. "Artificial Culture: Identity, Technology, and Bodies." 1st. London and New York: Routledge.
- Leaver, T., M. Balnaves, and M. Willson. 2011. "The Ubiquity of Information Filtration." In Australian and New Zealand Communication Association conference: Communication on the edge 2011, Jul 6, 2011, Hamilton, New Zealand: ANZCA.
- Leaver, T. 2011. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins." Flow TV 13 (10)
- Leaver, T. 2011. "Angry Birds: The Remix." Flow TV 13 (13)
- Herrington, A., J. Schrape, K. Flintoff, T. Leaver, M. Molineux, and S. O'Hare. 2010. "A scholarship program for academic staff to develop exemplary online learning tasks." In ascilite 2010, Dec 5, 2010, Sydney: ascilite.
- Leaver, T.. "The Anti-Social Network." Flow TV 13 (4). Inpress.
- Leaver, T.. "How Chatroulette Taught Me Everything I Need to Know About the Internet." Flow TV 11 (10). Inpress.
- Leaver, T.. "FlashForward or FlashBack: Television Distribution in 2010?." Flow TV 11 (05). Inpress.
- Balnaves, M., T. Leaver, and M. Willson. 2010. "Habermas and the Net." In 60th annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Jun 23, 2010, Singapore: All Academic, Inc.
- Leaver, T. 2008. "Watching Battlestar Galactica in Australia and the Tyranny of Digital Distance." Media International Australia 1 (126): 145-154.
- Leaver, T. 2008. "'Humanity's Children:' Constructing and Confronting the Cylons." In Cylons in America: Critical Studies of Battlestar Galactica, 132-142 New York: Continuum.
- Leaver, T. 2006. "The Blogging of Everyday Life." Reconstruction: studies in contemporary culture 6 (4)
- Leaver, T. 2004. "Iatrogenic Permutations: From Digital Genesis to the Artificial Other." Comparative Literature Studies 41 (3): 424-435.
- Leaver, T. 2004. "'The Infinite Plasticity of the Digital': Posthuman Possibilities, Embodiment and Technology in William Gibson's Interstitial Trilogy." Reconstruction: studies in contemporary culture 4 (3)
- Leaver, T. 2004. "Rationality, Representation and the Holocaust in Life is Beautiful." Limina 10: 70-80.
- Leaver, T. 2003. "Interstitial Spaces and Multiple Histories in William Gibson's Virtual Light, Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties." Limina 9: 118-130.
- Leaver, T. 2003. "WebCT: Will the future of online education be user friendly?." Fibreculture Journal 2