My area of expertise is research design and data analysis in applied behavioral research. I have been employed in the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University since 1996 (20 years continuous service), providing methodological and statisical advice to Honours, Masters, and PhD students, and academic staff. Most of these consultations have involved students and staff from the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology, but I also advise students and staff from other Schools in the Division of Health Sciences (namely, the School of Public Health, and the School of Nursing, Midwifery, & Paramedicine), and the Department of Architecture and Interior Architecture. I also provide methodological and statistical guidance to the Australian Respiratory Early Surveillance Team for Cystic Fibrosis (AREST CF), the Asia Pacific Transgender Network (APTN), and the Animal Fun (AF) projects. I am a co-director of the Aussie Optimism (AO) program. AO is an evidence-based mental health promotion program for children in primary and lower secondary schools. In the last five years, the AO program has attracted around 2.5 million dollars in funding from Healthway and the Government of WA Mental Health Commission. The funded projects have generated publications in national and international journals and the results have been disseminated at international conferences in Boston, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Florence, Mumbai, and Berlin. In 2008, on the basis of AO research up to that time, my colleagues and I were awarded Suicide Prevention Australia’s LIFE Award in the Youth Category. Since 2000, I have been a Chief Investigator on research grants worth 4.8 million dollars (2.3 million in the last five years), and have co-authored 88 publications in peer-reviewed journals (70 in the last five years). I currently have 19 co-authored articles in review. Since 2000, I have been involved in supervising 32 PhD students to completion. In the last five years,I have supervised 22 PhD students to completion (6 as primary supervisor or co-supervisor, 15 as associate supervisor, and 1 as adjunct supervisor). I am currently on the supervisory panel for 23 PhD students (4 as primary supervisor or co-supervisor, and 19 as associate supervisor). As a supervisor, I help the students negotiate the methodological and statistical pitfalls that entrap them during their candidacies. Regardless of my supervisory role (primary supervisor, co-supervisor, associate supervisor), the methodological guidance that I provide is generally substantial and often crucial to the success of the thesis.
In my role as a methodological and statistical advisor, I have been involved in projects investigating topics as diverse as (a) the psychosocial correlates of motor coordination in adolescents (published in Pediatrics), (b) intergroup anxiety in the formation of attitudes toward Indigenous Australians and refugees (published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology), (c) parental coping with the death of a twin or higher order multiple (published in Twin Research &Human Genetics), (d) developmental changes in the structure of ability across childhood (published in the European Journal of Developmental Psychology), (e) comparing frontotemporal dementia to Alzheimer’s disease in terms of carer burden (published in Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice and the Australasian Journal on Aging), and (e) the proposed ICD-11 Gender Incongruence of Childhood diagnosis (published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior), and (f) the influence of colour on student emotion, heart rate and performance in learning environments (published in Colour Research & Application). I have also co-authored several meta-analyses: Two looking at the effect of behavioural activation interventions on depressive symptomatology (published in Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice and the Journal of Positive Psychology), and one looking at interventions for the prevention of eating disorders (published in the International Journal of Eating Disorders). My colleagues and I are currently updating a meta-analysis looking at the impact of cognitive behavioural therapy on psychotic symptomatology.
In addition to my advisory, supervisory, and research roles, I am unit coordinator for the second semester post-graduate research methods unit (PSYC7009) in the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology. PSYC7009 is essentially an on-line unit, although two computer labs are scheduled during the semester. The unit reviews emerging strategies in applied psychological research; the emphasis is on research design rather than statistics, and on quantitative rather than qualitative methods. On completion of the unit, students are expected to be able to resolve the common methodological problems that have traditionally compromised research in the behavioural sciences. Over the last five years, PSYC7009 has enrolled between 27 and 36 students. These students are a mixture of Clinical Masters and PhDs, and Counselling Masters and PhDs. Course ratings for the last five years show that an average of 96% of students responded positively to the item “Overall, I am satisfied with the Unit”.
PhD (University of Western Australia); BA Hons (Murdoch University); MAPS (Member of the Australian Psychological Society).
- The Statistical Society of Australia Inc. (SSAI)
- The Australian Epidemiological Association (AEA)
- The International Epidemiological Association (IEA)
- Suicide Prevention Australia (SPA)
- The Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy (AACBT)
- The Mental Health Promotion Action Link (MHPAL)
- The Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Suicide Prevention Australia's LIFE Award in the Youth Category (2008) awarded to The Aussie Optimism Research Group (Roberts, C., Kane, R.T., Rooney, R., & Bishop, B.).
- Curtin University's Division of Health Sciences' Team Teaching Award (2006) awarded to The Clinical Psychology Group (Davis, M., Egan, S., Kane, R.T., Marsh, A., Piek, J., Pryer, H., Rees, C., Roberts, C., Rooney, R.)
- Curtin University's Division of Health Sciences' Research Group of the Year (2004) awarded to The Aussie Optimism Research Group (Roberts, C., Kane, R.T., Rooney, R., & Bishop, B.)
- Curtin University's Division of Health Sciences' New Researcher of the Year (2000) awarded to Kane, R.T.
- Kysely, A., B. Bishop, R. Kane, M. Cheng, M. De Palma, and R. Rooney. 2020. "Expectations and Experiences of Couples Receiving Therapy Through Videoconferencing: A Qualitative Study." Frontiers in Psychology 10
- Hart, J. S., J. N. Kirby, S. R. Steindl, R. T. Kane, and T. G. Mazzucchelli. 2020. "Insecure Striving, Self-Criticism, and Depression: the Prospective Moderating Role of Fear of Compassion from Others." Mindfulness 11 (7): 1699-1709.
- De Oliveira, J. A., D. Rigoli, R. Kane, S. McLaren, J. B. Goulardins, L. M. Straker, A. Dender, R. Rooney, and J. P. Piek. 2019. "Does ‘Animal Fun’ improve aiming and catching, and balance skills in young children?." Research in Developmental Disabilities 84: 122-130.
- Li’el, N., C. Williams, and R. Kane. 2019. "Identifying developmental language disorder in bilingual children from diverse linguistic backgrounds." International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 21 (6): 613-622.
- Dawes, E., S. Leitão, M. Claessen, and R. Kane. 2019. "A randomized controlled trial of an oral inferential comprehension intervention for young children with developmental language disorder." Child Language Teaching and Therapy 35 (1): 39-54.
- Wenn, J. A., M. O'Connor, R. T. Kane, C. S. Rees, and L. J. Breen. 2019. "A pilot randomised controlled trial of metacognitive therapy for prolonged grief." BMJ Open 9 (1)
- Rodgers, S. H., R. Schütze, N. Gasson, R. A. Anderson, R. T. Kane, S. Starkstein, K. Morgan-Lowes, and S. J. Egan. 2019. "Modified Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depressive Symptoms in Parkinson's Disease: A Pilot Trial." Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 47 (4): 446-461.
- Howell, J. A., P. M. McEvoy, B. Grafton, C. Macleod, R. T. Kane, R. A. Anderson, and S. J. Egan. 2019. "Biased interpretation in perfectionistic concerns: an experimental investigation." Anxiety, Stress and Coping 32 (3): 259-269.
- Beales, A., A. Whitworth, J. Cartwright, P. K. Panegyres, and R. T. Kane. 2019. "Profiling sentence repetition deficits in primary progressive aphasia and Alzheimer's disease: Error patterns and association with digit span." Brain and Language 194: 1-11.
- Youens, D., G. Halkett, C. Wright, M. O'Connor, P. Schofield, M. Jefford, S. Aranda, R. Kane, and R. Moorin. 2019. "Assessing the cost-effectiveness of RT Prepare: A radiation therapist–delivered intervention for reducing psychological distress prior to radiotherapy." Psycho-Oncology 28 (5): 1110-1118.
- Tahghighi, M., J. A. Brown, L. J. Breen, R. Kane, D. Hegney, and C. S. Rees. 2019. "A comparison of nurse shift workers’ and non-shift workers’ psychological functioning and resilience." Journal of Advanced Nursing 75 (11): 2570-2578.
- Shu, C. Y., H. J. Watson, R. A. Anderson, T. D. Wade, R. T. Kane, and S. J. Egan. 2019. "A randomized controlled trial of unguided internet cognitive behaviour therapy for perfectionism in adolescents: Impact on risk for eating disorders." Behaviour Research and Therapy 120
- Litten, V., L. Roberts, R. Ladyshewsky, E. Castell, and R. Kane. 2019. "Empathy and psychopathic traits as predictors of selection into business or psychology disciplines." AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY Not Specified: 1-13.
- Nelson, H. J., G. E. Kendall, S. K. Burns, K. A. Schonert-Reichl, and R. T. Kane. 2019. "Measuring 8 to 12 year old children's self-report of power imbalance in relation to bullying: Development of the Scale of Perceived Power Imbalance." BMC Public Health 19 (1)
- Limburg, K., K. Bodill, H. J. Watson, R. T. Kane, M. S. Hagger, and S. J. Egan. 2019. "Validity of the compulsive exercise test in regular exercisers." Eating Disorders
- Shu, C. Y., A. O'Brien, H. J. Watson, R. A. Anderson, T. D. Wade, R. T. Kane, A. Lampard, and S. J. Egan. 2019. "Structure and validity of the Clinical Perfectionism Questionnaire in female adolescents." Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy
- Griffiths, N., T. G. Mazzucchelli, S. Skinner, R. T. Kane, and L. J. Breen. 2019. "A pilot study of a new bereavement program for children: Lionheart Camp for Kids." Death Studies
- Maxwell-Smith, C., P. A. Cohen, C. Platell, P. Tan, M. Levitt, P. Salama, G. B. Makin, J. Tan, S. Salfinger, G. R. Kader Ali Mohan, and 4 more contributors. 2018. "Wearable Activity Technology And Action-Planning (WATAAP) to promote physical activity in cancer survivors: Randomised controlled trial protocol." International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology 18 (2): 124-132.
- Halkett, G., M. O'Connor, M. Jefford, S. Aranda, S. Merchant, N. Spry, R. Kane, T. Shaw, D. Youens, R. Moorin, and 1 more contributors. 2018. "RT Prepare: A radiation therapist-delivered intervention reduces psychological distress in women with breast cancer referred for radiotherapy." British Journal of Cancer 118 (12): 1549-1558.
- Whitworth, A., J. Cartwright, A. Beales, S. Leitão, P. K. Panegyres, and R. Kane.. "Taking words to a new level: a preliminary investigation of discourse intervention in primary progressive aphasia." Aphasiology xx Inpress.
- North, A. C., A. E. Krause, R. Kane, and L. Sheridan.. "United Kingdom "top 5" pop music lyrics." Psychology of Music xx Inpress.
- Goulardins, J. B., D. Rigoli, P. R. Loh, R. Kane, M. Licari, B. Hands, J. A. Oliveira, and J. Piek.. "The Relationship Between Motor Skills, Social Problems, and ADHD Symptomatology: Does It Vary According to Parent and Teacher Report?." Journal of Attention Disorders xx Inpress.
- Sadri, S. K., P. M. McEvoy, S. J. Egan, R. T. Kane, C. S. Rees, and A. Anderson. 2018. "Erratum: The relationship between obsessive compulsive personality and obsessive compulsive disorder treatment outcomes: Predictive utility and clinically significant change - CORRIGENDUM (Behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy (2017) 45 5 (524-529))." Behavioural and cognitive psychotherapy 46 (6)
- Sadri, S. K., R. A. Anderson, P. M. McEvoy, R. T. Kane, and S. J. Egan. 2018. "A pilot investigation of cognitive behavioural therapy for clinical perfectionism in obsessive compulsive disorder–CORRIGENDUM." Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy -: 1-2.
- Cheng, M., R. M. Rooney, R. T. Kane, S. Hassan, and N. Baughman. 2018. "Do parent mental illness and family living arrangement moderate the effects of the Aussie Optimism Program on depression and anxiety in children?." Frontiers in Psychiatry 9 (JUN)
- Beales, A., A. Whitworth, J. Cartwright, P. K. Panegyres, and R. T. Kane. 2018. "Determining stability in connected speech in primary progressive aphasia and Alzheimer’s disease." International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 20 (3): 361-370.
- Breen, L. J., M. D. Karangoda, R. T. Kane, D. A. Howting, and S. M. Aoun. 2018. "Differences in meanings made according to prolonged grief symptomatology." Death Stud 42 (2): 69-78.
- Hardcastle, S. J., R. Kane, P. Chivers, D. Hince, A. Dean, D. Higgs, and P. A. Cohen. 2018. "Knowledge, attitudes, and practice of oncologists and oncology health care providers in promoting physical activity to cancer survivors: an international survey." Supportive Care in Cancer 26 (11): 3711-3719.
- Gill, C. C., R. T. Kane, and T. G. Mazzucchelli. 2018. "Activation, Avoidance, and Response-Contingent Positive Reinforcement Predict Subjective Wellbeing." Journal of Happiness Studies xx: 1-19.
- Mazzucchelli, T. G., J. Hodges, R. T. Kane, K. Sofronoff, M. R. Sanders, S. Einfeld, B. Tonge, and K. M. Gray. 2018. "Parenting and family adjustment scales (PAFAS): validation of a brief parent-report measure for use with families who have a child with a developmental disability." Research In Developmental Disabilities 72: 140-151.
- Jane, M., J. Foster, M. Hagger, S. Ho, R. Kane, and S. Pal. 2018. "Psychological effects of belonging to a Facebook weight management group in overweight and obese adults: Results of a randomised controlled trial." Health and Social Care in the Community 26 (5): 714-724.
- Litten, V., L. D. Roberts, R. K. Ladyshewsky, E. Castell, and R. Kane. 2018. "The influence of academic discipline on empathy and psychopathic personality traits in undergraduate students." Personality And Individual Differences 123: 145-150.
- Valentine, E. G., K. O. Bodill, H. J. Watson, M. S. Hagger, R. T. Kane, R. A. Anderson, and S. J. Egan. 2018. "A randomized controlled trial of unguided internet cognitive-behavioral treatment for perfectionism in individuals who engage in regular exercise." International Journal of Eating Disorders -
- Boni, M., R. Schütze, R. T. Kane, K. L. Morgan-Lowes, J. Byrne, and S. J. Egan. 2018. "Mindfulness and avoidance mediate the relationship between yoga practice and anxiety." Complementary Therapies in Medicine 40: 89-94.
- Dawes, E., S. Leitão, M. Claessen, and R. Kane. 2018. "A profile of the language and cognitive skills contributing to oral inferential comprehension in young children with developmental language disorder." International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders 53 (6): 1139-1149.
- Roberts, C. M., R. T. Kane, R. M. Rooney, Y. Pintabona, N. Baughman, S. Hassan, D. Cross, S. R. Zubrick, and S. R. Silburn. 2018. "Efficacy of the Aussie Optimism Program: Promoting Pro-social Behavior and Preventing Suicidality in Primary School Students. A Randomised-Controlled Trial." FRONTIERS IN PSYCHOLOGY 8
- Tennant, R. G., K. K. Martin, R. Rooney, S. Hassan, and R. T. Kane. 2017. "Preventing internalizing problems in young children: A randomized controlled trial of the feelings and friends (year 3) program with a motor skills component." Frontiers in Psychology 8 (MAR): 1-13.
- Jane, M., M. Hagger, J. Foster, S. Ho, R. Kane, and S. Pal. 2017. "Effects of a weight management program delivered by social media on weight and metabolic syndrome risk factors in overweight and obese adults: A randomised controlled trial." Plos ONE 12 (6): 1-20.
- McEvoy, P. M., M. L. Moulds, J. R. Grisham, E. A. Holmes, D. A. Moscovitch, D. Hendrie, L. M. Saulsman, O. V. Lipp, R. T. Kane, R. M. Rapee, and 2 more contributors. 2017. "Assessing the efficacy of imagery-enhanced cognitive behavioral group therapy for social anxiety disorder: Study protocol for a randomized." Contemporary Clinical Trials 60: 34-41.
- Logan, E. L., J. A. Thornton, R. T. Kane, and L. J. Breen. 2017. "Social support following bereavement: The role of beliefs, expectations, and support intentions." Death Studies xx: 1-12.
- Sadri, S. K., P. M. McEvoy, S. J. Egan, R. T. Kane, C. S. Rees, and R. A. Anderson. 2017. "The Relationship between Obsessive Compulsive Personality and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment Outcomes: Predictive Utility and Clinically Significant Change." Behavioural And Cognitive Psychotherapy 45 (5): 524-529.
- McEvoy, P. M., R. Graville, S. Hayes, R. T. Kane, and J. K. Foster. 2017. "Mechanisms of Change During Attention Training and Mindfulness in High Trait-Anxious Individuals: A Randomized Controlled Study." Behavior Therapy 48 (5): 678-694.
- Egan, S. J., R. T. Kane, K. Winton, C. Eliot, and P. M. McEvoy. 2017. "A longitudinal investigation of perfectionism and repetitive negative thinking in perinatal depression." Behaviour Research And Therapy 97: 26-32.
- Sadri, S. K., R. A. Anderson, P. M. McEvoy, R. T. Kane, and S. J. Egan. 2017. "A Pilot Investigation of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Clinical Perfectionism in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." Behavioural And Cognitive Psychotherapy 45 (3): 312-320.
- Finlay-Jones, A., R. Kane, and C. Rees. 2017. "Self-Compassion Online: A Pilot Study of an Internet-Based Self-Compassion Cultivation Program for Psychology Trainees." J Clin Psychol 73
- Rees, C. S., R. A. Anderson, R. T. Kane, and A. L. Finlay-Jones. 2016. "Online Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Treatment: Preliminary Results of the "OCD? Not Me!" Self-Guided Internet-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Program for Young People." JMIR Ment Health 3 (3)
- Winter, S., G. De Cuypere, J. Green, R. Kane, and G. Knudson. 2016. "The Proposed ICD-11 Gender Incongruence of Childhood Diagnosis: A World Professional Association for Transgender Health Membership Survey." Archives of Sexual Behavior 45: 1605-1614.
- Diamond, I. R., A. Fecteau, J. M. Millis, J. E. Losanoff, V. Ng, R. Anand, C. Song, S. Dunn, J. Menendez, L. Flynn, and 89 more contributors. 2007. "Impact of graft type on outcome in pediatric liver transplantation: A report from Studies of Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT)." Annals of Surgery 246 (2): 301-310.
- Soltys, K. A., G. V. Mazariegos, R. H. Squires, R. K. Sindhi, R. Anand, S. Dunn, J. Manendez, L. Flynn, M. Jonas, L. Krawczuk, and 90 more contributors. 2007. "Late graft loss or death in pediatric liver transplantation: an analysis of the SPLIT database." American Journal of Transplantation 7 (9): 2165-2171.
- Puetz, J., M. Thrower, R. Kane, and J. Bouhasin. 2004. "Combination therapy with ribavirin and interferon in a cohort of children with hepatitis C and haemophilia followed at a pediatric haemophilia treatment center." Haemophilia 10 (1): 87-93.
- Kane, R., H. Solomon, B. Friedman, T. Heffron, J. DePaulo, R. J. Sokol, F. Karrer, M. R. Narkewicz, K. Orban-Eller, E. S. Maller, and 88 more contributors. 2001. "Studies of pediatric liver transplantation (SPLIT): Year 2000 outcomes." Transplantation 72 (3): 463-476.
- Alvarez, F., E. Alonso, R. Anand, W. Andrew, P. Atkinson, W. Balistreri, D. Freese, P. Greig, T. Heffron, R. Kane, and 15 more contributors. 1999. "Report from studies of pediatric liver transplantation (SPLIT)."
- Barrett, N. C., and R. T. Kane. 1995. "Trajectory modifications in response to superseding step stimuli." In Motor Control and Human Skills Research Workshop, MANDURAH, AUSTRALIA: ELSEVIER SCIENCE PUBL B V.