My degrees are in the field of mathematics and statistics. For the past 25 years, I have worked in the field of medical statistics - mainly in the analysis of data collected for research purposes. Currently, my role is to provide statistical support to research students and staff in the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work, as well as the School of Pharmacy. Support may be provided in the form of writing the statistical components of grant applications, or research proposals, as well as the writing of reports of data analysis which may be submitted for publication. I am also involved to a small extent in teaching of statistics to undergraduates in the Health Sciences at Curtin University.
BSc(Adel), MSc(St And), PhD(Cardiff)
Statistical analysis of quantitative data collected for research purposes. I have become familiar with many different types of analysis, as demanded by the types of data that are commonly collected in my schools. I prefer to use the SAS computer analysis package, but have familiarity with PASW Statistics (formerly SPSS).
- Youens, D., R. Parsons, C. Toye, S. Slatyer, S. Aoun, K. D. Hill, M. Skinner, S. Maher, S. Davis, R. Osseiran-Moisson, and 1 more contributors. 2019. "The cost-effectiveness of a telephone-based intervention to support caregivers of older people discharged from hospital." BMC Geriatrics 19 (1)
- Steinwandel, U., N. Gibson, A. Towell-Barnard, R. Parsons, J. Rippey, and J. Rosman. 2019. "Does the intravascular volume status in haemodialysis patients measured by inferior vena cava ultrasound correlate with bioimpedance spectroscopy?." Journal of Clinical Nursing 28 (11-12): 2135-2146.
- Jones, J., T. F. Sim, R. Parsons, and J. Hughes. 2019. "Influence of cognitive impairment on pain assessment and management in the emergency department: A retrospective cross-sectional study." EMA - Emergency Medicine Australasi
- Guilmetdinov, E. F., M. Al-Khalaf, J. Bhatt, R. Parsons, and T. F. Sim. 2019. "Complementary medicines use amongst elective surgery patients at a public tertiary hospital: A prospective observational cohort study in Australia." Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 35: 284-289.
- Goh, K. L., S. Morris, R. Parsons, A. Ring, and T. Tan.. "Postural and Cortical Responses Following Visual Occlusion in Adults With and Without ASD." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders - Inpress.
- Cocks, E., A. Thomson, S. Thoresen, R. Parsons, and L. Rosenwax. 2018. "Factors that affect the perceived health of adults with intellectual disability: A Western Australian study." Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability 43 (3): 339-350.
- Wilson, N. J., R. Cordier, R. Parsons, S. Vaz, and M. Ciccarelli. 2018. "An examination of health promotion and social inclusion activities: A cross-sectional survey of Australian community Men's Sheds." Health Promotion Journal of Australi
- Scott, M., A. Jacob, D. Hendrie, R. Parsons, S. Girdler, T. Falkmer, and M. Falkmer. 2017. "Employers' perception of the costs and the benefits of hiring individuals with autism spectrum disorder in open employment in Australia." Plos ONE 12 (5): 1-16.
- Gribble, N., R. K. Ladyshewsky, and R. Parsons. 2017. "Strategies for interprofessional facilitators and clinical supervisors that may enhance the emotional intelligence of therapy students." Journal of Interprofessional Care 31 (5): 593-603.
- Ung, E., P. Czarniak, Sunderland, R. Parsons, and K. Hoti. 2017. "Assessing pharmacists’ readiness to prescribe oral antibiotics for limited infections using a case-vignette technique." International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 39 (1): 61-69.
- Price, P., S. Lee, J. Affandi, R. Parsons, L. H. Naylor, G. F. Watts, and A. Irish. 2017. "Cytomegalovirus antibody and vascular pathology in renal transplant recipients." Journal of Medical Virology 89 (1): 177-181.
- Ossolinski, G., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, and R. Parsons. 2017. "Do images of a personalised future body shape help with weight loss? A randomised controlled study." Trials 18 (1): 1-7.
- Gribble, N., R. K. Ladyshewsky, and R. Parsons. 2017. "Fluctuations in the emotional intelligence of therapy students during clinical placements: Implication for educators, supervisors, and students." Journal of Interprofessional Care 31 (1): 8-17.
- Wigston, C., S. Falkmer, S. Vaz, R. Parsons, and T. S. Falkmer. 2017. "Participation in extracurricular activities for children with and without siblings with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Developmental Neurorehabilitation 20 (1): 25-39.
- Jaber, S., C. Rogers, B. Sunderland, R. Parsons, S. MacKenzie, J. Seet, and P. Czarniak. 2017. "Appropriateness of surgical antibiotic prophylaxis for breast surgery procedures." International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 39 (2): 483-486.
- Toye, C., R. Parsons, S. Slatyer, S. M. Aoun, R. Moorin, R. Osseiran-Moisson, and K. D. Hill. 2016. "Outcomes for family carers of a nurse-delivered hospital discharge intervention for older people (the Further Enabling Care at Home Program): Single blind randomised controlled trial." International Journal of Nursing Studies 64: 32-41.
- Wilson, N. J., R. Cordier, R. Parsons, S. Vaz, and A. Buchanan. 2016. "Men with disabilities – A cross sectional survey of health promotion, social inclusion and participation at community Men's Sheds." Disability and Health Journal 9: 118-126.
- Cocks, E., A. Thomson, S. Thoresen, R. Parsons, and L. Rosenwax. 2016. "Health status and use of medications by adults with intellectual disability in Western Australia." Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability 41 (2): 87-96.
- Ngune, I., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, R. Parsons, and R. Hodder. 2016. "A trial of a self assessment tool of problems following treatment of colorectal cancer: A prospective study in Australian primary care." European Journal of Cancer Care 25 (1): 69-78.
- Lee, H., H. Flavell, D. Parsons, R. Parsons, and T. Falkmer. 2016. "Developing agentic learners for 21st Century practice: a pedagogic approach in Occupational Therapy." Journal of Allied Health 45 (1): 8-13.
- Hattingh, H. L., T. F. Sim, R. Parsons, P. Czarniak, A. Vickery, and S. Ayadurai. 2016. "Evaluation of the first pharmacist administered immunisations in Western Australia: a mixed methods study." BMJ Open 6
- Blane, A., T. Falkmer, M. Lee, R. Parsons, and H. Lee. 2016. "The cognitive and socio-demographic influences on driving performance and driving cessation in post-stroke drivers." Advances in Transportation Studies: an International Journal 38: 121-135.
- Vaz, S., Cordier, M. Boyes, R. Parsons, A. Joosten, M. Ciccarelli, Falkmer, and T. Falkmer. 2016. "Is using the strengths and difficulties questionnaire in a community sample the optimal way to assess mental health functioning?." PLoS ONE 11 (1)
- Hatfield, M., R. Parsons, and M. Ciccarelli. 2016. "The development and validation of the Healthy Computing Questionnaire for Children (HCQC)." work 54 (2): 389-399.
- Oberoi, D. V., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, and R. Parsons. 2016. "Do men know which lower bowel symptoms warrant medical attention? A web-based video vignette survey of men in Western Australia." American Journal of Men's Health 10 (6): 474-486.
- Sriram, D., A. McManus, L. M. Emmerton, R. W. Parsons, and M. Jiwa. 2016. "A Model for Assessment and Referral of Clients with Bowel Symptoms in Community Pharmacies." Current Medical Research and Opinion 32 (4): 661-667.
- Borgestig, M., J. Sandqvist, R. Parsons, T. Falkmer, and H. Hemmingsson. 2016. "Eye gaze performance for children with severe physical impairments using gaze-based assistive technology-A longitudinal study." Assistive Technology 28 (2): 93-102.
- Hattingh, H. L., J. Varsani, L. A. Kachouei, and R. Parsons. 2016. "Evaluation of pseudoephedrine pharmacy sales before and after mandatory recording requirements in Western Australia." Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 11 (30)
- Ireng, A., E. Helmerhorst, R. Parsons, and R. Caccetta. 2016. "Teucrium polium significantly lowers blood glucose levels acutely in normoglycemic male Wistar rats: A comparative to insulin and metformin." Advancement in Medicinal Plant Reserarch 4 (1)
- Visser, E. J., J. Ramachenderan, S. J. J. Davies, and R. Parsons. 2016. "Chronic widespread pain drawn on a body diagram is a screening tool for increased pain sensitization, psycho-social load, and utilization of pain management strategies." Pain Practice 16 (1): 31-37.
- Morris, S. L., C. J. Foster, R. Parsons, M. Falkmer, T. Falkmer, and S. M. Rosalie. 2015. "Differences in the use of vision and proprioception for postural control in autism spectrum disorder." Neuroscience 307: 273-280.
- Jiwa, M., O. Burford, and R. Parsons. 2015. "Preliminary findings of how visual demonstrations of changes to physical appearance may enhance weight loss attempts." European Journal of Public Health 25 (2): 283-285.
- Vaz, S., J. Cordier, S. Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, R. Parsons, T. McAuliffe, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Should Schools Expect Poor Physical and Mental Health, Social Adjustment, and Participation Outcomes in Students with Disability?." PloS One 10 (5): 1-23.
- Czarniak, P., L. Bint, L. Favié, R. Parsons, J. Hughes, and Sunderland. 2015. "Clinical setting influences off-label and unlicensed prescribing in a paediatric teaching hospital." PLoS ONE 10 (3)
- Ghahari, S., T. Packer, D. Boldy, L. Melling, and R. Parsons. 2015. "Comparing Effectiveness of Generic and Disease-Specific Self-Management Interventions for People With Diabetes in a Practice Context." Canadian Journal of Diabetes 39 (5): 420-427.
- Vaz, S., Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, A. Passmore, R. Parsons, M. Black, B. Cuomo, Tan, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Belongingness in early secondary school: Key factors that primary and secondary schools need to consider." PLoS ONE 10 (9): 1-27.
- Vaz, S., M. Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, A. Passmore, R. Parsons, Tan, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "The personal and contextual contributors to school belongingness among primary school students." PLoS ONE 10 (4): 1-21.
- Ngune, I., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, R. Parsons, and R. Hodder. 2015. "Predicting General Practice Attendance for Follow-up Cancer Care." American Journal of Health Behavior 39 (2): 167-174.
- Yi, J., H. Lee, R. Parsons, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "The Effect of the Global Positioning System on the Driving Performance of People with Mild Alzheimer's Disease." Gerontology 61: 79-88.
- Wibowo, Y., R. Parsons, Sunderland, and J. Hughes. 2015. "Evaluation of community pharmacy-based services for type-2 diabetes in an Indonesian setting: pharmacist survey." International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 37 (5): 873-882.
- Wibowo, Y., R. Parsons, V. Sunderland, and J. Hughes. 2015. "An evaluation of community pharmacy-based services for type 2 diabetes in an Indonesian setting: Patient survey." PeerJ 3 (1449): 1-19.
- Toye, C., R. Moorin, S. Slatyer, S. M. Aoun, R. Parsons, D. Hegney, S. Maher, and K. D. Hill. 2015. "Protocol for a randomised controlled trial of an outreach support program for family carers of older people discharged from hospital." BMC Geriatrics 15 (1)
- Ngune, I., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, R. Parsons, G. Pagey, and R. Hodder. 2015. "Do patients treated for colorectal cancer benefit from general practitioner support? A video vignette study." Journal of Medical Internet Research 17 (11): 1-8.
- Dorj, G., D. Hendrie, R. W. Parsons, and Sunderland. 2015. "A questionnaire study of injections prescribed and dispensed for patients diagnosed with mild/moderate community-acquired pneumonia in Mongolia." PeerJ 3
- Alkhatib, L., R. Parsons, P. Czarniak, and V. B. Sunderland. 2015. "An evaluation of the reclassification of ophthalmic chloramphenicol for the management of acute bacterial conjunctivitis in community pharmacies in Western Australia." International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 23 (2): 111-120.
- Vaz, S. M., R. Parsons, T. Falkmer, A. Passmore, and M. Falkmer. 2015. "The Impact of Personal Background and School Contextual Factors on Academic Competence and Mental Health Functioning across the Primary-Secondary School Transition." In Adolescent Mental Health: Connections to the Community Hassan, A., 65-110: Apple Academic Press Inc. and CRC Press.
- Desai, C., F. M. Wood, S. A. Schug, R. W. Parsons, C. Fridlender, and V. B. Sunderland. 2014. "Effectiveness of a topical local anaesthetic spray as analgesia for dressing changes: A double-blinded randomised pilot trial comparing an emulsion with an aqueous lidocaine formulation." Burns 40: 106-112.
- Pihau-Tulo, T. T., R. W. Parsons, and J. D. Hughes. 2014. "An evaluation of patients' adherence with hypoglycemic medications among Papua New Guineans with Type 2 Diabetes: Influencing factors." Patient Preference and Adherence 8: 1229-1237.
- Palmer, K., M. Ciccarelli, T. Falkmer, and R. Parsons. 2014. "Associations between exposure to Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and reported discomfort among adolescents." Work 48 (2): 165-173.
- Jiwa, M., P. Nichols, P. Magin, G. Pagey, X. Meng, R. Parsons, and V. Pillai. 2014. "Management of behavioural change in patients presenting with a diagnosis of dementia: a video vignette study with Australian general practitioners." BMJ Open 4
- Sriram, D., A. McManus, L. Emmerton, R. Parsons, and M. Jiwa. 2014. "Development and validation of a clinical decision-making aid for screening bowel symptoms in community pharmacies." Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 20: 260-266.
- Joshua, I. B., P. R. Passmore, R. Parsons, and V. B. Sunderland. 2014. "Appropriateness of prescribing in selected healthcare facilities in Papua New Guinea." Health Policy and Planning 29 (2): 257-265.
- Horlin, C., M. Falkmer, R. Parsons, M. A. Albrecht, and T. Falkmer. 2014. "The Cost of Autism Spectrum Disorders." PLoS ONE 9 (9)
- Chen, J. D., T. Falkmer, R. Parsons, J. Buzzard, and M. Ciccarelli. 2014. "Impact of experience when using the Rapid Upper Limb Assessment to assess postural risk in children using information and communication technologies." Applied Ergonomics 45 (3): 398-405.
- Dorj, G., B. Sunderland, D. Hendrie, and R. Parsons. 2014. "Parenteral Medication Prescriptions, Dispensing and Administration Habits in Mongolia." PLoS ONE 9 (12)
- Vaz, S., M. Falkmer, R. Parsons, A. E. Passmore, T. Parkin, and T. Falkmer. 2014. "School Belongingness and Mental Health Functioning across the Primary-Secondary Transition in a Mainstream Sample: Multi-Group Cross-Lagged Analyses." PloS One 9 (6)
- Vaz, S., R. Parsons, T. Falkmer, A. E. Passmore, and M. Falkmer. 2014. "The impact of personal background and school contextual factors on academic competence and mental health functioning across the primary-secondary school transition." PLoS ONE 9 (3)
- Ngune, I., M. Jiwa, A. McManus, J. Hughes, R. Parsons, R. Hodder, and F. Entriken. 2014. "Development of a patient-administered self-assessment tool (SATp) for follow-up of colorectal cancer patients in general practice." Qual Prim Care 22 (6): 270-277.
- Vaz, S., T. Falkmer, A. E. Passmore, R. Parsons, and P. Andreou. 2013. "The case for using the repeatability coefficient when calculating test-retest reliability." PLoS ONE 8 (9)
- Burford, O., M. Jiwa, O. Carter, R. Parsons, and D. Hendrie. 2013. "Internet-Based Photoaging Within Australian Pharmacies to Promote Smoking Cessation: Randomized Controlled Trial." Journal of Medical Internet Research 15 (3): 1-12.
- Sim, T. F., J. Sherriff, H. L. Hattingh, R. Parsons, and L. B. G. Tee. 2013. "The use of herbal medicines during breastfeeding: a population-based survey in Western Australia." BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 13
- Ordqvist, A., M. Falkmer, R. Parsons, D. Leung, F. Håkan, J. Dahlman, S. Girdler, and F. Torbjörn. 2013. "Information and Repetition Change Children's Visual Strategies When Viewing Magic Tricks With and Without Gaze Cues." Perceptual and Motor Skills 116 (1): 144-162.
- Luk, C. P., R. Parsons, Y. P. Lee, and J. D. Hughes. 2013. "Proton Pump Inhibitor-Associated Hypomagnesemia: What Do FDA Data Tell Us?." The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 47: 773-780.
- Vaz, S., R. Parsons, A. E. Passmore, P. Andreou, and T. Falkmer. 2013. "Internal Consistency, Test-Retest Reliability and Measurement Error of the Self-Report Version of the Social Skills Rating System in a Sample of Australian Adolescents." PLoS ONE 8 (9)
- Dorj, G., D. Hendrie, R. Parsons, and B. Sunderland. 2013. "An evaluation of prescribing practices for community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) in Mongolia." BMC Health Services Research 13
- Jacobs, K., J. Kaldenberg, J. Markowitz, E. Wuest, M. Hellman, A. Umez-Eronini, M. Arsenault, B. Walker, V. Hall, M. Ciccarelli, and 2 more contributors. 2013. "An ergonomics training program for student notebook computer users: Preliminary outcomes of a six-year cohort study." Work 44 (2): 221-230.
- Gribble, N., R. Parsons, M. Donlau, and T. Falkmer. 2013. "Predictors of time to complete toileting for children with spina bifida." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 60 (5): 343-349.
- Leung, D., A. Ordqvist, T. Falkmer, R. Parsons, and M. Falkmer. 2013. "Facial emotion recognition and visual search strategies of children with high functioning autism and Asperger syndrome." Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 7 (7): 833-844.
- Crewe, J., W. H. Morgan, N. Morlet, A. Clark, G. Lam, R. Parsons, A. Mukhtar, J. Ng, M. Crowley, and J. Semmens. 2012. "Prevalence of blindness in Western Australia: A population study using capture and recapture techniques." British Journal of Opthalmology 96 (4): 478-481.
- Packer, T. L., D. Boldy, S. Ghahari, L. Melling, R. Parsons, and R. H. Osborne. 2012. "Self-management programs conducted within a practice setting: Who participates, who benefits and what can be learned?." Patient Education and Counselling 87 (1): 93-100.
- Slater, H., S. J. Davies, R. Parsons, J. L. Quintner, and S. A. Schug. 2012. "A Policy-into-Practice Intervention to Increase the Uptake of Evidence-Based Management of Low Back Pain in Primary Care: A Prospective Cohort Study." PLoS ONE 7 (5)
- Omar, M., A. Crowe, R. Parsons, H. Ee, C. Y. Tay, and J. Hughes. 2012. "P-glycoprotein expression in Helicobacter pylori-positive patients: The influence of MDR1 C3435T polymorphism." Journal of Digestive Diseases 13: 414-420.
- Roberson, B. S., D. Peterson, and R. W. Parsons. 2012. "Attitudes on wildfire evacuation: Exploring the intended evacuation behavior of residents living in two Southern California communities." Journal of Emergency Management 10 (5): 335-347.
- Falkmer, S., R. Parsons, and M. Granlund. 2012. "Looking through the Same Eyes? Do Teachers' Participation Ratings Match with Ratings of Students with Autism Spectrum Conditions in Mainstream Schools?." Autism Research and Treatment 2012
- Dennis, D. M., T. K. Hebden-Todd, L. J. Marsh, L. J. Cipriano, and R. W. Parsons. 2011. "How do Australian ICU survivors fare functionally 6 months after admission?." Critical Care and Resuscitation 13 (1): 9-16.
- Shrestha, K., J. D. Hughes, Y. P. Lee, and R. Parsons. 2011. "The prevalence of co-administration of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors." Quality in Primary Care 19: 35-42.
- Davies, S., J. Quintner, R. Parsons, L. Parkitny, P. Knight, E. Forrester, M. Roberts, C. Graham, E. Visser, T. Antill, and 2 more contributors. 2011. "Preclinic Group Education Sessions Reduce Waiting Times and Costs at Public Pain Medicine Units." Pain Medicine 12 (1): 59-71.
- Hoti, K., B. Sunderland, J. Hughes, and R. Parsons. 2010. "An evaluation of Australian pharmacist's attitudes on expanding their prescribing role." Pharmacy World and Science 32 (5): 610-621.
- Frydrych, A. M., R. Parsons, T. Threlfall, N. Austin, G. R. Davies, D. Booth, and L. M. Slack-Smith. 2010. "Oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma survival by biopsy type: a cancer registry study." Australian Dental Journal 55: 378-384.
- Alzayer, R., J. Hughes, R. Parsons, and Y. P. Lee. 2010. "Comparison of risk of neurovascular and cardiovascular side effects between tiotropium and other anticholinergic agents." Quality in Primary Care 18 (3): 189-199.
- Lee, K., M. Kinsella, B. Oliver, B. von Konsky, and R. Parsons. 2010. "Electronic portfolio use as an assessment medium: Pharmacy students' perceptions and experiences." In 8th International ePortfolio Conference, Jul 5, 2010, London: Elfel.
- Flisberg, P., M. J. Paech, T. Shah, T. Ledowski, I. Kurowski, and R. Parsons. 2009. "Induction dose of propofol in patients using cannabis." European Journal of Anaesthesiology 26 (3): 192-195.
- Paech, M. J., K. F. Ilett, L. P. Hackett, M. Page-Sharp, and R. W. Parsons. 2008. "Disposition and Clinical Outcome After Intraperitoneal Meperidine and Ropivacaine Administration During Laparoscopic Surgery." Anesthesia and Analgesia 106 (1): 278-286.
- Wonder, M. J., A. M. Neville, and R. Parsons. 2006. "Are Australians Able to Access New medicines on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in a More or Less Timely Manner? An analysis of Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee Recommendations, 1999-2003." Value in Health 9 (4): 205-212.
- Norman, P. E., K. Jamrozik, M. M. Lawrence-Brown, M. T. Q. Le, C. A. Spencer, R. J. Tuohy, R. W. Parsons, and J. A. Dickinson. 2004. "Population based randomised controlled trial on impact of screening on mortaility from abdominal aortic aneurysm." British Medical Journal 329: 1259-1265.
- Peyton, P. J., P. S. Myles, B. S. Silbert, J. A. Rigg, K. Jamrozik, and A. R. Parsons. 2003. "Perioperative Epidural Analgesia and Outcome After Major Abdominal Surgery in High-Risk Patients." Anesthesia and Analgesia 96: 548-554.
- Jamrozik, K., P. E. Norman, C. A. Spencer, R. W. Parsons, R. Tuohy, M. M. Lawrence-Brown, and J. A. Dickinson. 2000. "Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: Lessons from a population-based study." Medical Journal of Australia 173 (7): 345-350.