My Philosophy of Teaching
I see it as my task to translate my industry experience as a science teacher to my teacher training students in a manner that helps them to build their own professional identity (Bennett, Rowley, Dunbar-Hall, Hitchcock, & Blom, 2014). This is more than career planning or building portfolios of graduate attributes. It is about building a community of primary teacher practitioners who are scientifically literate, confident and competent to inspire and empower their own students and to help them to make sense of their world through science. I have a particular responsibility to engage students with science not only because it is a national objective to educate more maths and science students but also because many students arrive at university somewhat science phobic.
- Focus on STEM and how STEM education can be incorporated into classrooms using a variety of ideas includuing Makerspace as a venue and also viewing the E as a series of possibilities
- Investigating Science Inquiry focusing on using an on-line scaffolded approach (there are examples at the following websites http://inquiringabouttheworld.weebly.com/, http://scienceinthekitchen.weebly.com/ http://y7pcwater.weebly.com)
- Examining tertiary teaching and learning through a digital andragogy lens
- 2018-2019 STEMM International Homeward Bound
- 2017 Curtin Academy
- 2017 SHEA Fellow
- 2016 OLT National Citation recognising Excellence in Teaching
- 2016 Endeavour Fellowship to collect, curate and digitise teaching artefacts in Lao PDR.
- 2016 ISTE (International Society of Technology Education) STEM Award
- 2015 Curtin University First Year Program Award: Common First Year Team
- 2015 HERDSA Fellow
- 2014 Curtin Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award
- 2014 Humanities Teaching and Learning Individual Teaching Award
- 2014 Humanities First Year Program Award: Common First Year Team
- 2018 Rotary Grant ($6,400) (Sheffield, Koul) Inspire with STEMinist Ambassadors in Primary Schools Program
- 2018 Australia–India Council Grant ($112,000)(Koul, Sheffield & Rohl) Developing a Digital STEM Professional Learning Platform for Indian Teachers
- 2017 Australian Technology Network Grant ($120,600)(O’Halloran, Tan, Sheffield, Aubussen, Mallet, Berry, & O’Keefee) Encouraging and mapping student engagement through 360-degree video annotation and data analytics
- 2017 Australian National Commission for UNESCO 2016–2017 Grants Round ($14,000)(Koul, Sheffield, Blackley, & Balzer) Cross-nation capacity building in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) education
- 2017 Linking Science Educators Program (LSEP) Grant ($5,000)(Koul, Sheffield, & Blackley) Using a Makerspace approach to create a scientific community of practice (COP) for teachers and pre-service teachers in India. National Association for Research in Science Teaching
- 2016–2017 Australia–Indonesia Institute Grant ($19,000)(Sheffield, Koul, & Blackley) Awarded to take the makerspace in STEM experience to the Universitas Negeri Jakarta, Indonesia
- 2015 Curtin University Teaching Excellence Development Fund (TEDF) ($12,832.60)(Sheffield, Blackley, Maynard, Koul, & Walker.) Creating communities in STEM makerspace
- 2015 Curtin University Teaching Excellence Development Fund (TEDF) ($19,962)(Bennett, Blackley, & Sheffield) Developing pre-service teacher identity
- 2014 Curtin University Teaching Excellence Development Fund (TEDF) ($9,400)(Dobozy, Sheffield, & Walker) TPACK implementation for collegial peer review in common first unit of unit learning design
- 2013 Curtin University eScholar Program ($10,000)(Sheffield & McIlvenny) Transforming learning with technology, pedagogy and sustainability
- Sheffield, R., and R. Koul. 2021. "Investigating learning in a STEM makerspace: India case study."
- Sheffield, R., S. Blackley, and D. Bennett. 2020. "How future science educators view themselves and their profession: A study of pre-service science STEM educators." Issues in educational research 30 (1): 302-322.
- Sheffield, R., R. Koul, Y. Rahmawati, and E. Fitriani. 2019. "A Makerspace; a space to play and a space to learn." In Empowering Science and Mathematics for Global Competitiveness Proceedings of the Science and Mathematics International Conference (SMIC 2018), November 2-4, 2018, Jakarta, Indonesia Rahmawati, Y., and P. C. Taylor.: CRC Press.
- Sheffield, R., S. Blackley, and P. Moro. 2018. "A professional learning model supporting teachers to integrate digital technologies." Issues In Educational Research 28 (2): 487-510.
- Blackley, S., Y. Rahmawati, E. Fitriani, R. Sheffield, and R. Koul. 2018. "Using a makerspace approach to engage Indonesian primary students with STEM." Issues In Educational Research 28 (1): 18-42.
- Blackley, S., D. Bennett, and R. Sheffield. 2018. "Pre-service teachers’ articulation of their future selves." Issues in Educational Research 28 (4): 849-869.
- O’Halloran, K. L., S. Tan, M. Wiebrands, R. Sheffield, P. Wignell, and P. Turner. 2018. "The multimodal classroom in the digital age: The use of 360 degree videos for online teaching and learning." In Multimodality across Classrooms: Learning about and through Different Modalities, 84-102
- Sheffield, R., R. Koul, S. Blackley, E. Fitriani, Y. Rahmawati, and D. Resek. 2018. "Transnational examination of STEM education." International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education 26 (8): 67-80.
- Blackley, S., D. Bennett, and R. Sheffield. 2018. "Pre-service teachers’ articulation of their future selves." Issues in educational research: 849-869.
- Sheffield, R., J. Kurisunkal, R. Koul, and S. Blackley. 2018. "Learning to teach and teaching to learn STEM through a Makerspace Approach." In Science Education in India: Philosophical, historical, and contemporary conversations Verma, G., V. Nargund-Joshi, and R. Koul.
- Sheffield, R., J. A. Smith, G. Quinton, J. Glistak, and D. Treagust. 2018. "A New Way Forward for Teaching Science: A Report on the Future of the Teaching Science Journal." Teaching Science
- Sheffield, R., and G. Quinton. 2017. "Case Studies of Scaffolded On-Line Inquiry in Primary and Secondary Classrooms: Technology and Inquiry in a Science Context." In Optimizing K-12 Education through Online and Blended Learning Ostashewski, N., J. Howell, and M. Cleveland-Innes., 240-255 USA: IGI Global.
- Blackley, S., R. Sheffield, N. Maynard, R. Koul, and R. Walker. 1500079152568. "Makerspace and Reflective Practice: Advancing Pre-service Teachers in STEM Education." Australian Journal of Teacher Education 42 (3): 23-38.
- Blackley, S., D. Bennett, and R. Sheffield. 2017. "Purpose-built, web-based professional portfolios: Reflective, developmental and showcase." Australian Journal Of Teacher Education 42 (5): 1-16.
- Sheffield, R., R. Koul, S. Blackley, and N. Maynard. 2017. "Makerspace in STEM for girls: a physical space to develop twenty-first-century skills." Educational Media International 54 (2): 148-164.
- Blackley, S. E., R. Sheffield, N. Maynard, R. Koul, and R. Walker. 2017. "Makerspace and Reflective Practice: Advancing Pre-service teachers in STEM Education." Australian Journal of Teacher Education 42 (3): 22-37.
- Blackley, S. E., and R. Sheffield. 2016. "Environment: Re-negotiating the E in STEM Education." Eco-thinking 1
- Sheffield, R., S. Blackley, and D. E. Bennett. 2016. "Enhancing work readiness and developing professional identity through personalised, standards-based digital portfolios." In 39th HERDSA Annual International Conference, Jul 4, 2016, Fremantle, WA, Australia: Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia, Inc.
- Sheffield, R. S., and S. Blackley. 2016. "Makerspace in STEM (MIS) for girls: An Exploratory Study." In International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2016 Conference and Expo, Jun 26, 2016, Denver, Colorado, USA
- Blackley, S., and R. Sheffield. 2015. "Digital andragogy: A richer blend of initial teacher education in the 21st century." Issues in Educational Research 25 (4): 397-414.
- Blackley, S., and R. Sheffield. 2015. "Appraising the E in STEM education: Creative alternatives to "engineering"." International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education 23 (3)
- Blackley, S., and R. Sheffield. 2015. "Editorial – Welcome to Volume 23, Issue 3." International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education 23 (3): i-ii.
- Blackley, S. E., and R. sheffield. 2015. "Digital Andragogy: A 21st century approach to tertiary education." In Ascilite 2015, Nov 30, 2015, Perth, Australia
- Sheffield, R., E. Dobozy, D. Gibson, J. Mullaney, and C. Campbell. 2015. "Teacher education students using TPACK in science: a case study." Educational Media International 52 (3): 227-238.
- Sheffield, R., and G. Quinton. 2015. "Teaching Science Concepts in Primary Schools." Australia: LancasterMedia.
- Sheffield, R. S., and L. McIlvenny. 2014. "Design and Implementation of Scientific Inquiry using Technology in a Teacher Education Program." International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education 22 (6): 46-60.
- Sheffield, R. 2012. "Focus on Leadership: Constructing a Model House at Mossburn School." In Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics: Issues, Reflections, and Ways Forward, 88-99 United States: Routledge.
- Sheffield, R. 2012. "Focus on Teacher Support: Considering Access for the Disabled at Gosport Community School." In Integrating Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics: Issues, Reflections, and Ways Forward, 76-87 United States: Routledge.
- Murcia, K., and R. Sheffield. 2010. "Talking about science in interactive whiteboard classrooms." Australasian Journal of Educational Technology 26 (4): 417-431.
- Venville, G., R. Sheffield, L. J. Rennie, and J. Wallace. 2008. "The writing on the wall: Classroom context, curriculum implementation, and student learning in integrated, community-based science projects." Journal of Research in Science Teaching 45: 857-880.
- Sheffield, R., G. Venville, and L. Rennie. 2007. "Exploring the attributes that enable and inhibit the implementation of an integrated curriculum in a middle school science classroom." In World Conference on Science and Technology Education, Jul 8, 2007, Perth: Australia: Science Teachers Association of Western Australia.
- Wallace, J., R. Sheffield, L. Rénnie, and G. Venville. 2007. "Looking back, looking forward: Re-searching the conditions for integration in the middle years of schooling." Australian Educational Researcher 34: 29-49.