Lucinda is a nutritional epidemiologist with a particular interest in vitamin D, diet, and risk of onset and progression of multiple sclerosis (MS). Lucinda completed a PhD (Nutritional Sciences) in 2012 at University College Cork, Ireland, investigating dietary vitamin D and population vitamin D deficiency. Simultaneous with her PhD work, Lucinda contributed to two European Commission-funded projects, harmonising food composition data internationally and assessing the safety and efficacy of plant food supplements. From 2012 to 2015, Lucinda held a postdoctoral position at Telethon Kids Institute, The University of Western Australia, where she investigated associations between vitamin D, diet and mental health outcomes in the Western Australia Pregnancy Cohort (Raine) Study.
Lucinda is currently a Senior Research Fellow at the School of Public Health, Curtin University. She is a recipient of a Curtin University Research Fellowship and the MS Western Australia Postdoctoral Fellowship to investigate dietary risk factors for MS. She is currently lead investigator on a project funded by the NHMRC to investigate dietary vitamin D in the Australian population. She has been a chief investigator on a project funded by MS Research Australia, and is a previous recipient of the MS Research Australia Ian Ballard Travel Award and MS Research Australia Young Investigator Award. Lucinda supervises a growing number of Master and doctoral students at Curtin University, and maintains a strong engagement with the MS community in Western Australia, giving regular community talks on diet and MS.
- 2018-current: School of Public Health, Curtin University: SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW
- 2016-2017: School of Public Health, Curtin University: RESEARCH FELLOW
- 2012-2015: Telethon Kids Institute, The University of Western Australia: SENIOR RESEARCH OFFICER
- 2006-2012: Dept. Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Ireland: RESEARCH OFFICER
- 2006: Children’s Nutrition Research Centre, The University of Queensland: RESEARCH OFFICER
- 2005-2006: Centre for Health Research, Queensland University of Technology: PROJECT MANAGER
Nutrition, food composition, dietary intake, vitamin D, epidemiology, multiple sclerosis
Selected grant and fellowship funding:
- Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (July 2019-June 2021)“Diet and risk of onset and disease progression of multiple sclerosis”
- Multiple Sclerosis Western Australia Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (July 2016-June 2019) “Nutritional determinants of multiple sclerosis”
- NHMRC Project Grant (2018-2020) “Investigating dietary vitamin D in the Australian population” Black LJ (CIA), Lucas R, Kiely M, Nowson C, Rangan A, Greenfield H
- 2016 Curtin Student Guild Excellence in Teaching Award (nominated by students)
- 2015 Multiple Sclerosis Research Australia Young Investigator Award
PhD: 3 current; Honours: 1 current; 1 completed (awarded first class Honours); Master of Nutrition and Dietetics: 4 current, 15 completed; Doctor of Medicine: 2 current
- Russell, R. D., L. J. Black, J. L. Sherriff, and A. Begley. 2019. "Dietary responses to a multiple sclerosis diagnosis: a qualitative study." European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 73 (4): 601-608.
- Malacova, E., P. Cheang, E. Dunlop, J. L. Sherriff, R. M. Lucas, R. M. Daly, C. A. Nowson, and L. J. Black. 2019. "Prevalence and predictors of Vitamin D deficiency in a nationally representative sample of adults participating in the 2011-2013 Australian Health Survey." British Journal of Nutrition 121 (8): 894-904.
- Black, L. J., G. S. Bowe, G. Pereira, R. M. Lucas, K. Dear, I. Van Der Mei, J. L. Sherriff, C. Chapman, A. Coulthard, K. Dear, and 8 more contributors. 2019. "Higher non-processed red meat consumption is associated with a reduced risk of central nervous system demyelination." Frontiers in Neurology 10 (FEB)
- Black, L. J., K. Baker, A. L. Ponsonby, I. van der Mei, R. M. Lucas, G. Pereira, and Ausimmune Investigator Group. 2019. "A Higher Mediterranean Diet Score, Including Unprocessed Red Meat, Is Associated with Reduced Risk of Central Nervous System Demyelination in a Case-Control Study of Australian Adults." J Nut
- Oddy, W. H., K. L. Allen, G. S. A. Trapp, G. L. Ambrosini, L. J. Black, R. C. Huang, P. Rzehak, K. C. Runions, F. Pan, L. J. Beilin, and 1 more contributors. 2018. "Dietary patterns, body mass index and inflammation: Pathways to depression and mental health problems in adolescents." Brain, Behavior, And Immunity 69: 428-439.
- Russell, R. D., R. M. Lucas, V. Brennan, J. L. Sherriff, A. Begley, L. J. Black, C. Chapman, A. Coulthard, K. Dear, T. Dwyer, T. Kilpatrick, R. Lucas, T. McMichael, M. P. Pender, A. L. Ponsonby, B. Taylor, P. Valery, I. van der Mei, and D. Williams. 2018. "Reported changes in dietary behavior following a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination." Frontiers In Neurology 9 (MAR)
- Hughes, L. J., L. J. Black, J. L. Sherriff, E. Dunlop, N. Strobel, R. M. Lucas, and J. F. Bornman. 2018. "Vitamin D content of australian native food plants and australian-grown edible seaweed." Nutrients 10 (7)
- Black, L., and G. Pereira.. "A healthy dietary pattern associates with a lower risk of a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination." Multiple Sclerosis Journal 1 Inpress.
- Cardwell, G., J. F. Bornman, A. P. James, and L. J. Black. 2018. "A review of mushrooms as a potential source of dietary vitamin D." Nutrients 10 (10): 1498-1498.
- Black, L. J., C. Rowley, J. Sherriff, G. Pereira, A. L. Ponsonby, R. M. Lucas, and Ausimmune Investigator Group. 2018. "A healthy dietary pattern associates with a lower risk of a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination." Mult Scle
- Dunlop, E., J. Cunningham, J. L. Sherriff, R. M. Lucas, H. Greenfield, J. Arcot, N. Strobel, and L. J. Black. 2017. "Vitamin D3and 25-hydroxyvitamin D3content of retail white fish and eggs in Australia." Nutrients 9 (7)
- O Brien, S. K., E. Malacova, J. L. Sherriff, and L. J. Black. 2017. "The prevalence and predictors of dietary supplement use in the australian population." Nutrients 9 (10)
- Lucas, R. M., S. Gorman, L. Black, and R. E. Neale. 2017. "Clinical, research, and public health implications of poor measurement of Vitamin D status." Journal of AOAC International 100 (5): 1225-1229.
- Black, L. J., R. M. Lucas, J. L. Sherriff, L. O. Björn, and J. F. Bornman. 2017. "In pursuit of vitamin D in plants." Nutrients 9 (2)
- Lithander, F. E., S. Hoare, N. Shivappa, R. M. Lucas, A. L. Ponsonby, J. R. Hebert, and L. J. Black. 2017. "A pro-inflammatory diet is associated with increased risk of a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination in women." In Progress in MS Research Conference, Oct 11, 2017, MS Res Australia, Sydney, AUSTRALIA: SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD.
- Gould, A. L., L. J. Black, J. B. Smith, E. Gonzales, and R. M. Lucas. 2017. "Fresh fish consumption is associated with a lower risk of multiple sclerosis independent of serum 25OHD levels." In 7th Joint European-Committee-for-Treatment-and-Research-in-Multiple-Sclerosis (ECTRIMS)-Americas-Committee-for-Treatment-and-Research-in-Multiple-Sclerosis (ACTRIMS), Oct 25, 2017, Paris, FRANCE: SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD.
- Trapp, G., K. L. Allen, L. J. Black, G. L. Ambrosini, P. Jacoby, S. Byrne, and W. H. Oddy. 2016. "A prospective investigation of dietary patterns and internalizing and externalizing mental health problems in adolescents." Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 4 (6): 888-896.
- Black, L. J., P. Jacoby, C. A. Nowson, R. M. Daly, and R. M. Lucas. 2016. "Predictors of vitamin D-containing supplement use in the Australian population and associations between dose and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations." Nutrients 8 (6)
- Black, L. J., S. Burrows, R. Lucas, C. Marshall, R. C. Huang, C. Ping-Delfos, L. Beilin, P. Holt, P. Hart, W. Oddy, and T. Mori. 2016. "Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and cardio-metabolic risk factors in adolescents and young adults." British Journal of Nutrition 115 (11): 1994-2002.
- Black, L. J., D. Anderson, M. W. Clarke, A. L. Ponsonby, R. M. Lucas, and Ausimmune Investigator Group. 2015. "Analytical bias in the measurement of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations impairs assessment of vitamin D status." PLoS One 10 (8)
- Black, L. J., J. Walton, A. Flynn, K. D. Cashman, and M. Kiely. 2015. "Small increments in vitamin D intake by Irish adults over a decade show that strategic initiatives to fortify the food supply are needed." Journal Of Nutrition 145 (5): 969-976.
- Gorman, S., L. J. Black, M. Feelisch, P. H. Hart, and R. Weller. 2015. "Can skin exposure to sunlight prevent liver inflammation?." Nutrients 7: 3219-3239.
- Hartley, M., S. Hoare, F. E. Lithander, R. E. Neale, P. H. Hart, S. Gorman, P. Gies, J. Sherriff, A. Swaminathan, L. J. Beilin, T. A. Mori, L. King, L. J. Black, K. Marshall, F. Xiang, C. Wyatt, K. King, T. Slevin, N. Pandeya, and R. M. Lucas. 2015. "Comparing the effects of sun exposure and vitamin D supplementation on vitamin D insufficiency, and immune and cardio-metabolic function: The Sun Exposure and Vitamin D Supplementation (SEDS) Study." BMC Public Health 15 (1): 1461-1467.
- Black, L. J., J. Walkton, A. Flynn, K. D. Cashman, and M. Kiely. 2015. "Despite small increments in vitamin D intake by Irish adults over a decade, strategic initiatives to fortify the food supply are needed." Journal of Nutrition 145: 969-976.
- Yazar, S., A. Hewitt, L. J. Black, C. McKnight, J. Mountain, J. Sherwin, W. Oddy, M. Coroneo, R. Lucas, and D. Mackey. 2014. "Myopia is associated with lower vitamin D status in young adults." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 55 (7): 4552-4559.
- Gallagher, C. M., L. J. Black, and W. H. Oddy. 2014. "Micronutrient intakes from food and supplements in Australian adolescents." Nutrients 14: 342-354.
- Black, L. J., P. Jocoby, K. Allen, G. Trapp, P. Hart, S. Byrne, T. Mori, L. Beilin, and W. Oddy. 2014. "Low vitamin D levels are associated with symptoms of depression in young adult males." Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 48 (5): 464-471.
- Black, L. J., P. Jacoby, S. Burrows, W. H. Oddy, L. J. Beilin, W. C. She Ping-Delfos, C. E. Marshall, P. Holt, P. H. Hart, and T. A. Mori. 2014. "Vitamin D status and predictors of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations in Western Australian adolescents." The British Journal of Nutrition: an international journal of nutritional science 112: 1154-1162.
- Black, L. J., K. L. Allen, P. Jacoby, G. S. Trapp, C. M. Gallagher, S. M. Byrne, and W. H. Oddy. 2014. "Low dietary intake of magnesium is associated with increased externalising behaviours in adolescents." Public Health Nutrition 18: 1824-1830.
- Black, L., P. Jacoby, W. Ping-Delfos, T. Mori, L. Beilin, J. Olynyk, O. Ayonrinde, R. Huang, P. Holt, P. Hart, and 2 more contributors. 2014. "Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations associate with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in adolescents independent of adiposity." Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 29: 1215-1222.
- Oddy, W., C. Herbison, P. Jacoby, G. Ambrosini, T. O'Sullivan, O. Ayonrinde, J. Olynyk, L. Black, L. Beilin, T. Mori, and 2 more contributors. 2013. "The Western Dietary Pattern is Prospectively Associated With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Adolescence." American Journal of Gastroenterology 108: 778-785.
- Black, L. J., J. Walton, A. Flynn, and M. Kiely. 2013. "Adequacy of vitamin D intakes in children and teenagers from the base diet, fortified foods and supplements." Public Health Nutrition 17: 721-731.
- Kiely, M., and L. J. Black. 2012. "Dietary strategies to maintain adequacy of circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations." Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation 243: 14-23.
- Black, L. J., K. M. Seamans, K. D. Cashman, and M. Kiely. 2012. "An updated systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of vitamin D food fortification." Journal Of Nutrition 142 (6): 1102-1108.
- Black, L. J., J. Ireland, A. Møller, M. Roe, J. Walton, A. Flynn, P. M. Finglas, and M. Kiely. 2011. "Development of an online Irish food composition database for nutrients." Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 24: 1017-1023.
- Kiely, M., L. J. Black, J. Plumb, P. A. Kroon, P. C. Hollman, J. C. Larsen, G. J. Speijers, M. Kapsokefalou, D. Sheehan, J. Gry, and 1 more contributors. 2010. "EuroFIR eBASIS: Application for health claims submissions and evaluations." European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64: S101-S107.
- Gaskill, D., E. A. Isenring, L. J. Black, S. Hassall, and J. Bauer. 2009. "Maintaining nutrition in aged care residents with a train-the-trainer intervention and Nutrition Coordinator." Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging 13: 913-917.
- Gaskill, D., L. J. Black, E. A. Isenring, S. Hassall, F. Sanders, and J. Bauer. 2008. "Malnutrition prevalence and nutrition issues in residential aged care facilities." Australasian Journal on Ageing 27: 189-194.
- Black, L. J., M. Kiely, P. Kroon, J. Plumb, and J. Gry. 2008. "Development of EuroFIR BASIS – a composition, biological effects database for plant-based bioactive compounds." Nutrition Bulletin 13: 58-61.
- Black, L. J., F. Eriksen, J. Gry, M. Kiely, P. Kroon, K. Pilegaard, J. Plumb, D. Sheehan, and P. Finglas. 2008. "Establishing a tool to assess product health claims and improve regulation of bioactive compounds as functional ingredients in foods.": FEDERATION AMER SOC EXP BIOL.
- Gry, J., L. J. Black, F. Eriksen, K. Pilegaard, J. Plumb, M. Rhodes, D. Sheehan, M. Kiely, and P. A. Kroon. 2007. "EuroFIR BASIS – a combined composition and biological activity database for bioactive compounds in plant-based foods." Trends in Food Science and Technology 18: 434-444.