Julie Napoli received her PhD from Monash University. She has taught courses in marketing management, brand management, marketing principles, advertising, consumer behaviour, international marketing, marketing research and strategic marketing both in Australia and South East Asia. She has published a number of articles in refereed journals, amongst which include the Journal of Product and Innovation Management, Journal of Small Business Management, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business Research and Journal of Advertising Research. Her current research interests include brand management, consumer empowerment and sustainability.
PhD (Marketing), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia (2003)
Julie has worked for several organisations in Australia and the United Kingdom in the fields of marketing research, strategy development and events management.
- Brand management
- Consumer empowerment
- Sustainability and consumption
American Marketing Association (AMA)
Academy of Marketing Science (AMS)
Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC)
Association for Consumer Research (ACR)
2001 New Researcher of the Year, Curtin Business School
2000 Teacher of the Year, School of Marketing, Curtin Business School
Mktg3002 Strategic Advertising
Mktg3005 Advertising Account Planning
- Napoli, J., and R. Ouschan.. "Vegan stories: revealing archetypes and their moral foundations." Qualitative Market Research 23 (3). Inpress.
- Ouschan, R., J. Turkington, and J. Napoli. 2019. "Leveraging user generated content: A visual case analysis of Contiki’s brand co-creation campaign." In Handbook of Research on Customer Engagement Hollebeek, L. D., and D. E. Sprott., 329-357: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Napoli, J., S. Dickinson, and M. B. Beverland. 2016. "The Brand Authenticity Continuum: Strategic Approaches for Building Value." Journal of Marketing Management 32: 1201-1229.
- Napoli, J., S. Dickinson, M. B. Beverland, and F. Farrelly. 2015. "Consumer Based Brand Authenticity Scale." In The Handbook of Brand Management Scales Zarantonello, L., and V. Pauwels-Delassus., 100-103 New York: Routledge.
- Napoli, J., S. J. Dickinson, M. B. Beverland, and F. Farrelly. 2014. "Measuring Consumer-Based Brand Authenticity." Journal of Business Research 67: 1090-1098.
- Beverland, M. B., J. Napoli, and F. Farrelly. 2010. "Can all brands innovate in the same way? a typology of brand position and innovation effort." Journal of Product Innovation Management 27 (1): 33-48.
- Berthon, P., M. T. Ewing, and J. Napoli. 2008. "Brand management in small to medium-sized enterprises." Journal of Small Business Management 46 (1): 27-45.
- Beverland, M., J. Napoli, and A. Lindgreen. 2007. "Industrial global brand leadership: a capabilities view." Industrial Marketing Management 36 (8): 1082-1093.
- Beverland, M., A. Lindgreen, J. Napoli, P. Kotler, and W. Pfoertsch. 2007. "Being known or being one of many: The need for brand management for business-to-business (B2B) companies." Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing 22 (6): 357-362.
- Beverland, M., J. Napoli, and R. Yakimova. 2007. "Branding the business marketing offer: exploring brand attributes in business markets." The Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing 22 (6): 394-399.
- Napoli, J. 2006. "The impact of nonprofit brand orientation on organisational performance." Journal of Marketing Management 22 (7/8): 673-694.
- Ewing, M. T., and J. Napoli. 2005. "Developing and validating a multidimensional nonprofit brand orientation scale." Journal of Business Research 58 (6): 841-853.
- Napoli, J., M. Ewing, and P. Berthon. 2005. "Brand matters: an examination of small-to-medium sized enterprises." In Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Dec 5, 2005, Perth, Australia: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy.
- Ewing, M., and J. Napoli. 2004. "Do Brand Oriented Nonprofit Organizations Perform Better?." In Marketing Accountabilities and Responsibilities, Nov 29, 2004, Wellington, New Zealand: Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy.
- Napoli, J., M. Ewing, P. Berthon, and M. Murgolo-poore. 2004. "BME: an Instrument for assessing brand management effectiveness in SMEs." In American Marketing Association, Feb 11, 2004, Scotsdale, Arizona: American Marketing Association.
- Ewing, M., J. Napoli, L. Pitt, and A. Watts. 2003. "The development of domestic brands in China." In Chinese Economic Transition and International, 84-95 USA: Praeger.
- Pitt, L., J. Napoli, and R. Van Der Merwe. 2003. "Managing the franchised brand: the franchisees' perspective." Journal of Brand Management 10 (6): 411-420.
- Napoli, J., M. Murgolo-Poore, and I. Boudville. 2003. "Female gender images in adolescent magazine advertising." Australasian Marketing Journal 11 (1): 60-69.
- Shanka, T., I. Boudville, and J. Napoli. 2002. "Developing effective slogans for the African tourism industry: Analysis of cohort perceptions and reactions." In IAA Australia Regional Education Conference, Sep 1, 2001, Sydney: QUT.
- Ewing, M., J. Napoli, L. Pitt, and A. Watts.. "On the renaissance of domestic brands in China." International Journal of Advertising 21 (2). Inpress.
- van der Merwe, R., L. Pitt, J. Napoli, M. Murgolo-Poore, S. Keating, and S. Dix. 2002. "Examining the network: Discovering hidden market potential in networks on the Internet." In International Conference on E-Business (ICEB2002), May 23, 2002, BEIJING, PEOPLES R CHINA: BEIJING INST TECHNOLOGY PR.
- Ewing, M. T., J. Napoli, L. F. Pitt, and A. Watts. 2002. "On the renaissance of Chinese brands." International Journal of Advertising 21 (2): 197-216.
- Wynne, C., P. Berthon, L. Pitt, M. Ewing, and J. Napoli.. "The impact of the internet on the distribution value chain: the case of the South African tourism industry." International Marketing Review 18 (4). Inpress.
- Ewing, M. T., J. Napoli, and D. C. West.. "Creative personalities, processes, and agency philosophies: implications for global advertisers." Creativity Research Journal 13 (2). Inpress.
- Fish, W., L. Pitt, J. Napoli, N. de Bussy, and S. Dix. 2001. "Its been done before: An archaeological perspective on international marketing." In ANZMAC 2001, Dec 1, 2001, Auckland: Massey University.
- Ewing, M., J. Napoli, and L. Pitt.. "Managing Southeast Asian Brands in the Global Economy." Business Horizons 44 (3). Inpress.
- Napoli, J., and M. Ewing.. "The net generation: an analysis of lifestyles, attitudes and media habits." Journal of International Consumer Marketing 13 (1). Inpress.
- Ewing, M., J. Napoli, and A. Caruana.. "Asian networks: an individualist-collectivist perspective." Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government 6 (2). Inpress.
- Napoli, J., M. T. Ewing, and L. F. Pitt.. "Factors affecting the adoption of the internet in the public sector." Journal of Non-profit and Public Sector Marketing 7 (4). Inpress.
- Ewing, M., and J. Napoli.. "Creative personalities, processes and agency philosphies: comparing Australia and Singapore." In Developments in Australasian Marketing USA: JAI Press Inc. Inpress.
- Ewing, M., J. Napoli, and E. Du Plessis. 1999. "Factors affecting in-market recall of food product advertising." Journal of Advertising Research 39 (4): 29-39.