Ian holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in electronic engineering, and PhDs in Information Technology (University of South Australia) and astrophysics (University of New South Wales). The first 25 years of his career were focussed on signal processing for satellite communications. In 2015 he joined the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing at Swinburne University of Technology where he worked on the design of the pulsar-timing system for the forthcoming Square Kilometre Array radio telescope. In 2018 he commenced a research fellowship with the Curtin Institute for Radio Astronomy, specialising in telescope back-end signal processing. Ian's research interests also include interstellar communications and SETI.
- Cho, H., J. P. MacQuart, R. M. Shannon, A. T. Deller, I. S. Morrison, R. D. Ekers, K. W. Bannister, W. Farah, H. Qiu, M. W. Sammons, and 7 more contributors. 2020. "Spectropolarimetric Analysis of FRB 181112 at Microsecond Resolution: Implications for Fast Radio Burst Emission Mechanism." Astrophysical Journal Letters 891 (2)
- Morrison, I. S., J. D. Bunton, W. Van Straten, A. Deller, and A. Jameson. 2020. "Performance of Oversampled Polyphase Filterbank Inversion via Fourier Transform." Journal of Astronomical Instrumentation 9 (1)
- Messerschmitt, D. G., P. Lubin, and I. Morrison. 2020. "Challenges in Scientific Data Communication from Low-mass Interstellar Probes." Astrophysical Journal, Supplement Series 249 (2)
- Morrison, I. S., and M. G. Gowanlock. 2015. "Extending Galactic Habitable Zone Modeling to Include the Emergence of Intelligent Life." Astrobiology 15 (8): 683-696.
- Hoare, M. G., L. Perez, T. L. Bourke, L. Testi, I. Jimenez-Serra, P. Zarka, A. P. V. Siemion, H. J. V. Langevelde, L. Loinard, G. Anglada, and 12 more contributors. 2014. "The cradle of life and the SKA."
- Siemion, A. P. V., J. Benford, C. J. Jin, J. Chennamangalam, J. Cordes, H. Falcke, S. Garrington, M. Garrett, L. Gurvits, M. Hoare, and 10 more contributors. 2014. "Searching for extraterrestrial intelligence with the square kilometre array."
- Morrison, I. S. 2012. "Detection of antipodal signalling and its application to wideband SETI."
- Messerschmitt, D. G., and I. S. Morrison. 2012. "Design of interstellar digital communication links: Some insights from communication engineering."
- MORRISON, I. S. 1993. "ACE-QPSK - A NEW METHOD OF CODING QPSK FOR THE NONLINEAR TRANSMITTER." In IEEE Singapore International Conference on Networks/International Conference on Information Engineering 93 - Communications and Networks for the Year 2000, Sep 6, 1993, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE: I E E E.
- MORRISON, I. S., S. S. PIETROBON, P. K. GRAY, and J. J. KASPARIAN. 1993. "A 155-MBIT/S FEC CODEC FOR SATELLITE B-ISDN." In IEEE Singapore International Conference on Networks/International Conference on Information Engineering 93 - Communications and Networks for the Year 2000, Sep 6, 1993, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE: I E E E.
- Morrison, I. S., and M. J. Miller. 1985. "ERROR CONTROL SCHEME TO COUNTER THE EFFECTS OF UHF SCINTILLATION FADING."
- Morrison, I. S., and M. J. Miller. 1984. "IMPLEMENTATION OF ERROR CONTROL TECHNIQUES IN DIGITAL SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS."