Dr HuiJun (pronounced as June) Chih completed her PhD in 2010. She is the Course Coordinator of Bachelor of Science (Health Sciences) and a teaching and research academic in the School of Public Health. Her main duties include unit coordinating, lecturing and tutoring undergraduate and postgraduate units in the area of quantitative research methods. Over the years, Dr Chih has received innovative teaching and learning grants and awards in recognition of her excellence and innovation in teaching. She was awarded a Senior Fellowship of Higher Education Academy (UK) in 2018.
Dr Chih also supervises Honours, Masters and PhD students in the area of preventable chronic (physical and mental) diseases and lifestyle interventions. She also collaborates with clinicians and provides statistical support in study designs and analyses of clinical data, and has received the Western Australian Health Translation Network (WAHTN) Biostatistician Fellowship in 2020.
Dr Chih recently commenced the role of the School of Public Health Coordinator of International Engagement to faciliate delivery of transnational education.
BSc(Hons), GradCert Research Commercialization, GradCert Tertiary Teaching, PhD, SFHEA
Jun's research area is on the relationship between lifestyle factors and physical and mental health as well as lifestyle intervention for preventable chronic diseases. She has also been involved in innovative teaching and learning practices that promote positive students learning experience.
Jun has successfully supervised the following students on national and international topics:
- Ms Felicity Roux (commenced in 2017) “A mixed methods study to develop, implement and evaluate a school-based Whole Person ovulatory-menstrual (OM) health literacy program for 13-16 year old (Year 9-10) females in Perth WA” (Co supervisor)
- Ms Syahrul Bariah Abdul Hamid (completed in 2017) “A Cohort Study of Maternal Obesity and Breastfeeding Outcomes for Malay women in Selangor, Malaysia” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Raheema Abdul Raheem (completed in 2014) “A cohort study of postnatal depression, infant feeding practices and infant growth in Male', the Republic of Maldives” (Co supervisor)
Masters by coursework
- Ms Carla Florio (commencing Masters in Dietetics in 2017)
- Research Project: “Are dietary patterns associated with the risk of colorectal cancer and its subtypes?” (Co supervisor)
- Ms Michelle Ong (completed Masters in 2017 Sem1)
- Research Project: “Effectiveness of Mindfulness Meditation on Blood Pressures Between Male and Female Hypertensive Adults” (Principal supervisor)
- Mr Adil Ziad (completed Masters in 2017 Sem1)
- Research Project: “Effectiveness of mindfulness meditation and mindfulness based stress reduction programs on stress reduction among breast cancer patients” (Principal supervisor)
- Mr Ji Ern Leng (completed Masters in 2017 Sem1)
- Research Project: “Comparison of mindfulness based interventions on reducing stress and anxiety and their effect on cardiovascular health” (Principal supervisor)
- Mr Khun Sann Kyaw (completed Masters in Public Health in 2016)
- Research Project: “Future Direction for Prevention and Management of Depression among Pregnant Mothers in Myanmar” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Catrina Wold (completed Masters in Public Health in 2016)
- Dissertation Project: “University Student Health and Wellbeing Study: a test-retest reliability study of a web-based survey investigating Curtin University undergraduate student health and wellbeing” (Co supervisor)
- Mr Anom Josofat (completed Masters in Public Health in 2015)
- Dissertation Project: “The Association between Attitude and Knowledge about Nutrition, Dietary Pattern and Health Outcomes among High School Students in Mataram, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Mariama Keita (completed Masters in Public Health in 2015)
- Dissertation Project: “Factors influencing the uptake of cervical cancer among women of reproductive age (15-49) residing in Western one region, the Gambia” (Principal supervisor)
- Mr Albert Saka (completed Masters in Public Health in 2014)
- Dissertation Project: “Determinants of stunting in children aged 0-59 months in Malawi” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Jun Hui Tan (completed Masters in Public Health in 2012)
- Research Project: "Foodborne illnesses in Singapore and Australia at the food distribution system in the past decade: public health implications in the region" (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Fereshteh Markhali (completed Masters in Food Science and Technology in 2012)
- Dissertation Project: “Effect of Addition of Citric Acid during Processing on the Quality and Yield of Western Australian Olive Oil” (Co supervisor)
- Ms Alyssa Christudason (completed Masters in Public Health in 2010)
- Research Project: “The efficacy of the use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine and Natural Health Therapies in the prevention of cancer and the improvement of general wellbeing of cancer patients” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Carla Florio (commencing Masters in Dietetics in 2017)
- BSc (Honours)
- Ms Jennifer Dunne (completed in 2019, with first class Honours)
- Honours project: "A feasibility study of online mindfulness program for people with multiple sclerosis" (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Isabella Henderson (completed in 2017, with first class Honours)
- Honours project: “Validity and Reliability of maternal recalled data” (Co supervisor)
- Mr Yun Liu (completed in 2013, with best honours dissertation prize)
- Honours project: “Optimizing the processing condition of olive oil production” (Principal supervisor)
- Ms Jennifer Dunne (completed in 2019, with first class Honours)
- Council member of the Australasian Epidemiological Association (AEA)
- Member of Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
- Member of the Public Health Association Australia
- Convenor of 2018 AEA national conference
- Member of the Perth Epidemiology Group
- Member of the School of Public Health Graduate Studies Committee
- Editorial Board member of Health Promotion Journal of Australia (2014-2017)
- WAHTN Biostatistics Fellowship (2020)
- Higher Education Advanced (UK) Senior Fellowship (2018)
- Curtin University Award for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching (2016)
- Curtin University Faculty of Health Sciences Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award in the Individual Teacher category (2015)
- Curtin University Faculty of Health Sciences Teaching Excellence Award - Individual Teacher [High Commendation] (2014)
- Curtin University Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence and Innovation, "Facilitating Partnerships and Engagement" award for Faculty of Health Sciences Interprofessional First Year Team (2011) [2nd prize]
- Combined Biological Sciences Meeting at the University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, August 2009 [winner of best poster prize],
- Functional Food and Edible Oils- The Future Symposium in Auckland, New Zealand, November 2008 [winner of third best poster prize].
- Jun is a qualified olive oil taster certified by the Western Australian Olive Council.
Jun has been involved in the teaching of the following units over the years.
- PUBH3001 Applied Research and Biostatistics (Bentley)
- MEDS4003 Principles of Epidemiology and Biostatistics (Bentley)
- MEDS4002 Epidemiology and Biostatistics Practice (Bentley)
- STAT6000 Health Research Methods (Bentley)
- STAT6001 Health Research Methods (Open Universities Australia)
- HEAL6027 Health Sciences Research Dissertation Preparation (project supervision)
- HEAL6029 Health Sciences Research Dissertation (project supervision)
- HEAL6025 Health Sciences Research Project (Open Universities Australia)
- HEAL6028 Health Sciences Research Project (Bentley and research supervision)
- PhD supervision
- Roux, F., S. Burns, J. Hendriks, and H. J. Chih.. "Progressing towards adolescent ovulatory menstrual health literacy: a systematic review of school-based interventions." Women’s Reproductive Health Inpress.
- Chan, A., C. Lomma, H. J. Chih, C. Arto, F. McDonald, P. Patterson, P. Willsher, and C. Reid. 2020. "Psychosocial consequences in offspring of women with breast cancer." Psycho-Oncology 29 (3): 517-524.
- Affandi, J. S., S. Lee, H. J. Chih, E. Brook, S. Waters, P. Howson, C. M. Reid, A. Irish, and P. Price. 2020. "Cytomegalovirus burden improves a predictive model identifying measures of vascular risk in renal transplant recipients and healthy adults." Journal of Medical Virology 92 (12): 3650-3657.
- Wold, C., J. Hallett, G. Crawford, H. J. Chih, S. Burns, and J. M. Jancey. 2020. "University Student Health and Wellbeing Study: A test-retest reliability study of a web-based survey investigating undergraduate student health and wellbeing." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Lomma, C., A. Chan, H. J. Chih, C. Reid, and W. Peter. 2020. "Male Breast Cancer in Australia." Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology
- Tanudjaja, S. A., H. J. Chih, S. Burns, G. Crawford, J. Hallett, and J. Jancey. 2020. "Alcohol consumption and associated harms among university students in Australia: Findings from a cross-sectional study." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Hoon, S. N., K. Fyfe, C. J. Peddle-Mcintyre, S. Bowyer, F. Hawkins, E. Jeffery, H. J. Chih, J. Creaney, A. Nowak, and F. Brims. 2020. "Randomised placebo-controlled cross-over study examining the role of anamorelin in mesothelioma (The ANTHEM study): Rationale and protocol." BMJ Open Respiratory Research 7 (1)
- Chih, H. J., C. Reid, B. Yeap, and G. Dwivendi.. "Effect of testosterone treatment on cardiovascular events in men: A protocol for a systematic literature review and meta-analysis." JMIR Research Protocols Inpress.
- Chih, H. J., S. C. Smith, R. S. Hall, and S. K. Johnson. 2020. "Could Fecal Microbiota Be a Useful Indicator of Serum Cholesterol Levels among Men?." Journal of Personalized Medicine 10 (4)
- Chih, H. J., K. Betts, J. Scott, and R. Alati. 2020. "Maternal Depressive Symptoms and Infant Feeding Practices at Hospital Discharge: Findings from the Born in Queensland Study." Maternal and Child Health Journal
- Villepinte, C., E. Catella, M. Martin, S. Hidalgo, S. Téchené, C. Lebely, E. Castel-Lacanal, X. de Boissezon, H. J. Chih, and D. Gasq. 2019. "Validation of French upper limb Erasmus modified Nottingham Sensory Assessment in stroke." Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 62 (1): 35-42.
- Roux, F., S. Burns, H. J. Chih, and J. Hendriks. 2019. "Developing and trialling a school-based ovulatory-menstrual health literacy programme for adolescent girls: A quasi-experimental mixed-method protocol." BMJ Open 9 (3)
- Daly, A., R. N. Carey, E. Darcey, H. Chih, A. D. Lamontagne, A. Milner, and A. Reid. 2019. "Using three cross-sectional surveys to compare workplace psychosocial stressors and associated mental health status in six migrant groups working in Australia compared with Australian-born workers." International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16 (5): 735-735.
- Abdul Raheem, R., H. J. Chih, and C. W. Binns. 2019. "Maternal Depression and Breastfeeding Practices in the Maldives." Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health 31 (2): 113-120.
- Yeap, B., G. Dwivendi, H. J. Chih, and C. Reid. 2019. "Androgens And Cardiovascular Disease In Men." In Endotext: The best clinical endocrinology source in the world, Feingold, K. R., B. Anawalt, A. Boyce, G. Chrousos, K. Dungan, A. Grossman, J. M. Hershman, G. Kaltsas, C. Koch, P. Kopp, M. Korbonits, R. McLachlan, J. E. Morley, M. New, L. Perreault, J. Purnell, R. Rebar, F. Singer, D. L. Terence, A. Vinik, and D. P. Wilson., 1-1 South Dartmouth (MA: MDText.com, Inc.
- Myzabella, N., L. Fritschi, N. Merdith, S. El-Zaemey, H. Chih, and A. Reid. 2019. "Occupational health and safety in the palm oil industry: A systematic review." International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 10 (4): 159-173.
- Affandi, J., S. Lee, H. Chih, E. Brook, S. Waters, P. Howson, C. Reid, A. Irish, and P. Price. 2019. "Cytomegalovirus (CMV) burden may be used to enhance algorithms to predict future cardiovascular health in renal transplant recipients and healthy controls." In Congress of the European-Society-of-Cardiology (ESC) / World Congress of Cardiology, Aug 31, 2019, Paris, FRANCE: OXFORD UNIV PRESS.
- Arlene, C., L. Chris, H. Chih, and P. Willsher. 2019. "Male breast cancer: Tumour characteristics and treatment compared with females in Australia-99,768 breast cancers over a 10 year period." In San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, Dec 4, 2018, San Antonio, TX: AMER ASSOC CANCER RESEARCH.
- Abdul Raheem, R., H. J. Chih, and C. W. Binns. 2018. "Factors Associated With Maternal Depression in the Maldives: A Prospective Cohort Study." Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health 30 (3): 244-251.
- Milner, A., A. Reid, A. Daly, R. N. Carey, E. Darcey, H. J. Chih, and A. D. LaMontagne. 2018. "Workplace psychosocial stressors experienced by migrant workers in Australia: A cross-sectional study." PLoS ONE 13 (9)
- Chan, A., A. Bauwens, S. Pontre, S. Jackson, F. McGlone, T. Ernenwein, J. Chih, and C. Reid. 2018. "Efficacy of scalp cooling in reducing alopecia in early breast cancer patients receiving contemporary chemotherapy regimens." Breast 41: 127-132.
- Abdelnasser, N., H. D. Fahmy, M. K. Alsayed, A. K. H. Hassan, and H. J. Chih. 2018. "Knowledge and Nutritional Habits of Older Adults Regarding Immunity at Qena City." Assiut Scientific Nursing Journal
- Abdelnasser, N. O. E., H. D. F. Ibrahim, A. K. Hassan, H. J. Chih, and M. K. A. Youssef. 2018. "Impact of Nutritional Educational Program on the Nutritional Habits and Status among Older Adults at Qena City, Egypt." New York Science Journal
- Raheem, R. A., C. W. Binns, and H. J. Chih. 2017. "Protective effects of breastfeeding against acute respiratory tract infections and diarrhoea: Findings of a cohort study." Journal Of Paediatrics And Child Health 53 (3): 271-276.
- Burns, S., G. Crawford, J. Hallett, K. Hunt, H. J. Chih, and P. J. M. Tilley. 2017. "What's wrong with John? a randomised controlled trial of Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training with nursing students." BMC PSYCHIATRY 17: 1-12.
- Chih, H. J., and W. Liang. 2017. "Effect of unaffordable medical need on distress level of family member: Analyses of 1997-2013 United States National Health Interview Surveys." BMC Psychiatry 17 (1)
- Hamid, S. B. A., H. C. Jun, and C. W. Binns. 2017. "Predictors of Breastfeeding Intention in Malaysia." ENVIRONMENT-BEHAVIOUR PROCEEDINGS JOURNAL 2 (5): 161-167.
- Crawford, G., S. Burns, H. Chih, K. Hunt, P. Tilley, J. Hallett, K. Coleman, and S. Smith. 2015. "Mental health first aid training for nursing students: a protocol for a pragmatic randomised controlled trial in a large university." BMC Psychiatry 15 (26): 1-8.
- Raheem, R. A., C. W. Binns, H. J. Chih, and K. Sauer. 2014. "Determinants of the Introduction of Prelacteal Feeds in the Maldives." Breastfeeding Medicine 9 (9): 473-478.
- Chih, H. J., A. H. Lee, L. Colville, D. Xu, and C. W. Binns. 2014. "Condom and Oral Contraceptive Use and Risk of Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia in Australian Women." Journal of Gynecologic Oncology 25 (3): 183-187.
- Chih, H. J. 2014. "Olive Oil: Production, Bioactive Properties and Public Health." In Virgin Olive Oil: Production, Composition, Uses and Benefits for Man De Leonardis, A., 15-28 New York: Nova Science.
- Chih, H. J., A. H. Lee, L. Colville, C. W. Binns, and D. Xu. 2013. "A Review of Dietary Prevention of Human Papillomavirus-Related Infection of the Cervix and Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia." Nutrition and Cancer 65 (3): 317-328.
- Chih, H., A. P. James, V. Jayasena, and S. S. Dhaliwal. 2013. "Effect of growing location, malaxation duration and citric acid treatment on the quality of olive oil." Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 93 (6): 1272-1277.
- Chih, H., A. H. Lee, L. Colville, D. Xu, and C. W. Binns. 2013. "Sitting Time, Physical Activity and Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia in Australian Women: a Preliminary Investigation." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 24: 219-223.
- Chih, H. J., A. P. James, V. Jayasena, and S. S. Dhaliwal. 2012. "Addition of Enzymes complex during olive oil extraction improves oil recovery and bioactivity of Western Australian Frantoio olive oil." International Journal of Food Science and Technology 47: 1222-1228.
- Jayasena, V., H. J. Chih, and S. M. Nasar-Abbas. 2011. "Efficient isolation of lupin protein." Food Australia 63 (7): 306-309.
- Chih, H. J., and W. Liang. 2011. "Lifestyles and Migraine Attack." American Medical Journal 2 (2): 111-118.
- Jayasena, V., H. Chih, and S. Abbas. 2010. "Functional properties of sweet lupin protein isolated and tested at various pH levels." Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences 6 (2): 130-137.
- Jayasena, V., H. Chih, and K. Dods.. "Precipitation pH vs. yield and functional properties of lupin protein isolate." Agribusiness Crop Updates - Inpress.