Dr Htwe Htwe Thein is an Associate Professor in International Business at the School of Management, Curtin University, Australia, where she has been teaching during the last 16 years specialling subjects on management in Asia, international business, and cross-cultural interactions. She has also been involved in a range of service and leadership roles at the faculty and school levels since 2012.
Her research is interdisciplinary and examines the role of responsible business in building sustainable businesses and communities, especially in developing countries. Dr Thein has country specific expertise and close to twenty years of experience as a scholar on business and economic development in Myanmar. She is currently engaged in research projects on - responsible business, governance in Global Production Network, corporate social responsibility, foreign direct investment and conflicts, organisational legitimacy, co-evolution of state-owned enterprises, and human resource development - in the institutional context of Myanmar’s democratic political transition and increasing global economic integration. Dr Thein has recently been co-awarded an ARC (Australian Research Council) Discovery grant to examine employment relations, business practices and corporate social responsibility in the global production network of garment manufacturing in Myanmar.
Dr Thein’s international reputation is evidenced in invitations and collaborations for scholarly work, industry connectedness, and media commentary. She has published in leading journals including Journal of World Business, Journal of Industrial Relations, Journal of Contemporary Asia, International Journal of Cross-Cultural Management and Feminist Economics (and international publishers such as Cambridge University Press, Routledge and Sage). She has also co-authored numerous research reports for a business, government and NGOs.
PhD (International Business)(Curtin), Master of Business (Marketing)(Curtin), BA Hons (English) (University of Rangoon)
2009- Present Senior Lecturer, School of Management, Curtin University
2006 – 2009 Lecturer - School of Management, Curtin University
2003-2005 Associate Lecturer - School of Management, Curtin University
1996-2000 Research Associate and Marketing Research Program Manager, Institute for Research into International Competitiveness (IRIC), Curtin University
1986 – 1987 Tutor, English Department, University of Rangoon, Myanmar
Dr Thein has an ongoing research on economic, business and social development in Myanmar. She is interested in responsible business targeting United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). Her research interests broadly include responsible business, governance in Global Production Network and supply chain, supra-national institutions, corporate social responsibility, foreign direct investment, social activism and business investment, business-NGO collaboration and innovative business models. The bulk of her scholarly work has focused primarily on Myanmar in the period since the mid-1990s.
- Responsible business
- Governance in global production network and supply chain (garment manufacturing)
- Global governance (labour and human rights)
- Corporate social responsibility
- Foreign direct investment conflicts
- Social activism and business investment
- Business-NGO collaboration
- Finalist for Best Paper Award for Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability at Academy of Management 2019
- Co-winner of Research Excellence Award 2017, School of Management
- Nominee for the Curtin Student Guild Excellence in Postgraduate Supervision (2016)
- Nominee for the Curtin Student Guild Excellence in Teaching Award ( 2005)
- Certificate of Honour, Mudon Association (Yangon), 2004
- Recognition of Teaching excellence, CBS, 2003
- University ‘Group Innovative Teaching Practice Award' (2001)
Fields Of Research
Business and Management
Responsible Management in Asia; International Business; Culture and Ethics in Business
- Haeruddin, M. I. M., D. Pick, and H. H. Thein. 2020. "Resistance and compliance in women’s academic identity work in the Global South." Higher Education Quarterly 74 (3): 257-272.
- Ford, M., M. Gillan, and H. H. Thein. 2020. "Supranational Grievance Mechanisms and Firm-level Employment Relations." Industrial Relations Journal 51 (4): 262-282.
- Ford, M., M. Gillan, and H. H. Thein. 2020. "ISBN 9780367110444." In Myanmar - Politics, Economy and Society First. Simpson, A., and N. Farrelly., 105-119 United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Ford, M., M. Gillan, and H. Thein. 2018. "The International Labour Organization as a Development Actor in Southeast Asia." In Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Development McGregor, A., L. Law, and F. Miller., 85-95 Abingdon: Routledge.
- Ford, M., M. Gillan, and H. Thein. 2017. "Labour Standards and International Investment in Myanmar." In The Business of Transition: Law Reform, Development and Economics in Myanmar Crouch, M., 32-54 Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Ford, M., M. Gillan, and H. Thein. 2016. "From Cronyism to Oligarchy? Privatisation and Business Elites in Myanmar." Journal of Contemporary Asia 46 (1): 18-41.
- Gillan, M., and H. Thein. 2016. "Employment relations, the state and transitions in governance in Myanmar." Journal of Industrial Relations 58 (2): 273-288.
- Meyer, K. E., and H. H. Thein. 2014. "Business Under Adverse Home Country Institutions: The Case of International Sanctions Against Myanmar." Journal of World Business 49 (1): 156-171.
- Austen, S., T. Jefferson, and H. Thein. 2014. "Gendered Social Indicators and Grounded Theory." In Grounded Theory and Situational Analysis Clarke, A., and K. Charmaz., 175-190 London, USA, India & Singapore: SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Thein, H.. "Economy." In The Far East and Australasia 2015 46. London and New York: Routledge. Inpress.
- Thein, H. 2013. "Myanmar (Burma): Economy." In The Far East and Australasia 2014 45., 768-775 United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Jiang, F., and H. H. Thein. 2012. "Do local firms incur a liability of localness? The case of emerging country firms’ outward FDI in developed countries." In Strategic Management Society Annual International Conference, Oct 6, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Thein, H. 2011. "Myanmar: Economy." In The Far East and Australasia 2012 43., 811-819 Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Pick, D., and H. Thein. 2010. "Development failure and the resource curse: the case of Myanmar." International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 30 (5/6): 267-279.
- Thein, H. H., S. Austen, J. Currie, and E. Lewin. 2010. "The impact of cultural context on the perception of work/family balance by professional women in Singapore and Hong Kong." International Journal of Cross Cultural Management 10 (3): 303-320.
- Pick, D., and H. Htwe Thein. 2010. "Development failure and the resource curse: the case of Myanmar." International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 30 (5-6): 267-279.
- Thein, H. 2010. "Myanmar (Burma): Economy." In The Far East and Australiasia 2011 42., 861-868 UK: Routledge.
- Thein, H., and D. Pick. 2009. "International trade and business investment in Myanmar: Scope, strategic development, and social implications”." In Trade, Labour and Transformation of Community in Asia Gillan, M., and B. Pokrant., 36-68 Ebington: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Thein, H., and D. Pick. 2009. "International trade and business investment in Myanmar: scope, strategic development, and social implications." In Trade, labour and transformation of community in Asia, 36-68 UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Thein, H. 2009. "External and internal influences on two services sector industries in a sanctioned state: the case of Myanmar." In Wealth and Prosperity of Nations in the Period of Global Transformation Symposium, Jun 30, 2008, Moscow, Russia: Curtin University of Technology.
- Thein, H. 2009. "Mynamar Burma economy." In The far east and Australasia 2010 41., 850-858 London, England: Routledge.
- Thein, H. 2008. "International business in Myanmar: internal constraints, commercial concerns and challenges." Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs 3: 4-34.
- Thein, H. 2008. "The economy of Myanmar." In The Europa regional survey of the world - the far east and Australasia 2009 40., 824-833 London, UK: Routledge.
- Thein, H., J. Currie, and S. Austen. 2007. "Attitides to work life balance of women in Singapore, Hong Kong and China: working for the family and more?." In Inaugural International Women and Leadership Conference, Nov 16, 2006, Fremantle, Western Perth: Curtin University of Technology.
- Thein, H. 2007. "The economy of Myanmar." In The Europa regional surveys of the world - the far east and Australasia 2008, 817-825 London, UK: Routledge.
- Thein, H. 2006. "Myanmar (Burma) - Economy." In European Regional Surveys of the World - The Far East and Australasia 2007, 798-806 London: Routledge.
- Lwin, M., A. Pecotich, and H. Thein. 2006. "Myanmar." In Handbook of Markets and Economies East Asia Southeast Asia Australia and New Zealand, 447-475 New York: M.E. Sharpe Inc.
- Thein, H. 2006. "Terms of Global Business engagement in Ethically Challenging Environments: Insights from the Myanmar case." In The Macromarketing: The Future of Marketing?, Jun 6, 2006, Queenstown, New Zealand: University of Otago, Marketing Department, Dunedin.
- Grainger, R., and H. Thein. 2005. "Risky Business? Analysing Risk Factors For Multinationals Operating In Myanmar?." In The 9th International Conference on Global Business and Economic Development, May 25, 2005, Soeul, South Korea: Montclair State University.
- Thein, H., and R. Grainger. 2004. "Beyond trade sanctions: Operating difficulties confronting international business in Myanmar." In 3rd Global Conference on Business and Economics, Jul 9, 2004, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Association for Business and Economics Research and International Journal of Business and Economics.
- Austen, S., T. Jefferson, and H. Thein. 2003. "Gendered social indicators and grounded theory." Feminist Economics 9 (1): 1-18.
- Thein, H., R. Grainger, and S. Chatterjee. 2002. "International business and global regional institutional responses to Myanmar market participation." In International Conference on Business-Social Partnership: Beyond Philanthropy, Dec 4, 2002, Calcutta, India: Indian Institute of Management.
- Batt, P., and H. Thein. 2001. "Examining Asian attitudes to Australian horticultural products in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore." In Integrity - The Weakest Link in the Global Food Chain, Jun 1, 2001, Sydney, Australia: IAMA.
- Thein, H., and R. Grainger. 2000. "Roads to Mandalay: international business entry and development strategies for markets under trade sanction." In Australia-New Zealand International Business Academy annual conference, Oct 1, 2000, Auckland, New Zealand: Department of International Business, The University of Auckland and Department of Marketing and International Management, Waikato University.
- Mazzarol, T., G. N. Soutar, and V. Thein. 2000. "Critical success factors in the marketing of an educational institution - a comparison of institutional and student perspectives." Journal of Marketing for Higher Education 10 (2): 39-57.
- Allen, R., L. McMahon, and H. Thein. 2000. "Whats'a Matter You?: Public respect in Western Australia for Public and Private Sector Occupations." Western Australian Quarterly Bulletin of Economic Trends 2 (2000): 69-80.
- Mazzarol, T., T. Volery, D. Doss, and H. Thein. 1999. "Factors influencing small business start ups: A comparison with previous research." International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 5 (2): 48-59.
- Volery, T., D. Doss, T. Mazzarol, and H. Thein.. "Triggers and barriers affecting entrepreneurial intentionality." Journal of Enterprising Culture 5 (3). Inpress.
- VOLERY, T. H. I. E. R. R. Y., N. O. E. L. L. E. DOSS, T. I. M. MAZZAROL, and V. I. C. K. I. THEIN.. "Trigger and barriers affecting entrepreneurial intentionality: the case of Western Australian Nascente entrepreneurs." Journal of Enterprising Culture 5 (3). Inpress.
- Mazzarol, T., T. Volery, H. Thein, and D. Doss. 1997. "Factors influencing the small business start up: an empirical analysis comparison with previous research." In Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand 1997 Annual Conference, Sep 1, 1997, Sydney, Australia: Norsearch LTD.
- Volery, T., N. Doss, T. Mazzarol, and H. Thein. 1997. "Triggers and Barriers Affecting Entrepreneurial Intentionality: The case of Western Australian Nascente Entrepreneurs." Journal of Enterprising Culture 5 (3): 273-291.