Graduated in 1983, Dr Lee has been practising occupational therapy for 33 years. His extensive clinical careers in Australia and overseas make him an effective facilitator in bridging the gaps between OT theory and its application in the work-force. He has been an active and independent researcher in studying behaviours of drivers with special needs and in area of upper limbs rehabilitation. He has provided consultations in WA communities and conducted collaborative research with national and international organisations. Dr Lee's higher degrees by research, contemporary clinical skills and well-built local and international networks have benefited his teaching and research. Through his community services, Dr Lee has established strong teaching collaborations and research alliances strategically important to education.
PhD (Curtin), MPhil, Post-graduate Diploma (OT), Professional Diploma (OT)(HKPU)
Dr Lee’s client-centred and community-based research work has attracted strong public interest. Among many projects, attention has focused on investigation of the assessment and safety of drivers with special needs: older drivers, drivers affected by Parkinson’s Disease, Stroke, Dementia and Austism Spectrum Disorder. He has also conducted other translation research in areas of upper limb rehabilitation. The success his research has improved clients’ participation and engagement in meaningful occupations. Since commencement of his lectureship with Curtin in 2002, Dr Lee has been awarded a total of Aus $1.15 million in research grants to support his research, published 54 scientific documents; 42 papers in refereed journals and written five book chapters. Currently, Dr Lee is the lead project leader of the Australian CRC for Living with Autism Spectrum Disorders Strategic Grant, worth AUS $901, 320 to improve community mobility of individual on the Austism Spectrum Disorder.
- Honorary Fellow (2016), Associate Professor (2015), Adjunct Associate Professor (2008-2013) Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Member of Editorial Board - Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy, Advanced Study in Transportation
- Honorable Advisor - Chung Wah Community & Aged Care, Chung Wah Chinese Association (WA) (2000)
- Clincial Consultant, OT Department - Deyang Rehab and Prosthesis & Orthotics Center, Sichuan, Republic of China (2008)
- Occupational Therapy Association (WA)
- Australian Hand Therapy Association
- Australian Allied Health Registration Board (OT), Full registration
- Registered OT, Hong Kong
- Senior Research Fellow, School of OT and SW, Curtin
- Senior Research Fellow, Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Teaching Excellence, Curtin University,2014
- Excellence in Teaching, Individual Teacher Award, Faculty of Health Science, Curtin,2013
- Postgraduate Research Supervisor Winner, Curtin’s Guild, 2013
- Australian Government of Office for Learning and Teaching, Australia, 2010
- Research Scholar’s Initiative Commendation, American OT Association 2002
- Achievement Award, in the field of Elderly Mental Health Research, Western Australia Association of Mental Healthn 2002
Since the commencement of my lectureship in 2002, Dr Lee has coordinated and taught in OT specific and inter-discipline units ranging from on-shore undergraduate OT and distance-learning OT degree conversion and graduate-entry Master subjects. He has taught and coordinated in undergraduate and graduate-entry Master OT units:
- Research Proposal Preparation,
- Clinical Research and Practice,
- Upper limb Rehabilitation and Orthotics,
- Physical Rehabilitation,
- Applied Neuroscience,
- Clinical Medicine, Pathophysiology
- Functional Anatomy
- Parsons, D., R. Cordier, H. Lee, T. Falkmer, and S. Vaz. 2019. "A Randomised Controlled Trial of an Information Communication Technology Delivered Intervention for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Living in Regional Australia." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 49 (2): 569-581.
- Lim, Y. H., H. C. Lee, T. Falkmer, G. T. Allison, T. Tan, W. L. Lee, and S. L. Morris. 2019. "Postural control adaptation to optic flow in children and adults with autism spectrum disorder." Gait and Posture 72: 175-181.
- Parsons, D., N. J. Wilson, S. Vaz, H. Lee, and R. Cordier. 2019. "Appropriateness of the TOBY Application, an iPad Intervention for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Thematic Approach." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorder
- Black, M. H., S. Vaz, R. Parsons, T. Falkmer, J. S. Y. Tang, S. Morris, H. Lee, and M. Falkmer. 2019. "Disembedding performance and eye gaze behavior of adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 66
- Rezae, M., D. McMeekin, T. Tan, A. Krishna, H. Lee, and T. Falkmer. 2019. "Public transport planning tool for users on the autism spectrum: from concept to prototype." Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technolog
- Lim, Y. H., H. C. Lee, T. Falkmer, G. T. Allison, T. Tan, W. L. Lee, and S. L. Morris. 2019. "Effect of Visual Information on Postural Control in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorder
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2018. "Driving manoeuvre during lane maintenance in older adults: Associations with neuropsychological scores." Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology And Behaviour 53: 117-129.
- Blane, A., H. Lee, T. Falkmer, and T. Dukic Willstrand. 2018. "Cognitive ability as a predictor of task demand and self-rated driving performance in post-stroke drivers – Implications for self-regulation." Journal of Transport and Health 9: 169-179.
- Sun, Q. C., J. C. Xia, J. He, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2018. "Towards unpacking older driversâ€™ visual-motor coordination: A gaze-based integrated driving assessment." Accident Analysis And Prevention 113: 85-96.
- Chee, D. Y. T., H. C. Y. Lee, A. H. Patomella, and T. Falkmer.. "Investigating the driving performance of drivers with and without autism spectrum disorders under complex driving conditions." Disability and Rehabilitation xx (xx). Inpress.
- Blane, A., T. Falkmer, H. C. Lee, and T. Dukic Willstrand. 2018. "Investigating cognitive ability and self-reported driving performance of post-stroke adults in a driving simulator." TOPICS IN STROKE REHABILITATION 25 (1): 44-53.
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, Y. Li, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2018. "Unpacking older drivers’ maneuver at intersections: Their visual-motor coordination and underlying neuropsychological mechanisms." Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 58: 11-18.
- Lim, Y. H., H. C. Lee, T. Falkmer, G. T. Allison, T. Tan, W. L. Lee, and S. L. Morris. 2018. "Effect of Visual Information on Postural Control in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders: 1-9.
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2018. "A psycho-Geoinformatics approach for investigating older adults’ driving behaviours and underlying cognitive mechanisms." European Transport Research Review 10 (2)
- (Chayn) Sun, Q., J. (Cecilia) Xia, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2018. "Unpacking older drivers’ mobility at roundabouts: Their visual-motor coordination through driver–vehicle–environment interactions." International Journal of Sustainable Transportatio
- Wilson, N. J., H. C. Lee, S. Vaz, P. Vindin, and R. Cordier. 2018. "Scoping review of the driving behaviour of and driver training programs for people on the autism spectrum." Behavioural Neurology 2018
- Lim, Y. H., H. C. Lee, T. Falkmer, G. T. Allison, T. Tan, W. L. Lee, and S. L. Morris. 2018. "Effect of Optic Flow on Postural Control in Children and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder." Neuroscience 393: 138-149.
- Parsons, D., R. Cordier, S. Vaz, and H. C. Lee. 2017. "Parent-mediated intervention training delivered remotely for children with autism spectrum disorder living outside of urban areas: Systematic review." Journal Of Medical Internet Research 19 (8)
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2017. "Pursuing Precise Vehicle Movement Trajectory in Urban Residential Area Using Multi-GNSS RTK Tracking." In World Conference on Transport Research - WCTR 2016 Shanghai, Jul 10, 2016, Shanghai, China
- Sun, Q., R. Odolinski, J. Xia, J. Foster, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2017. "Validating the efficacy of GPS tracking vehicle movement for driving behaviour assessment." Travel Behaviour and Society 6: 32-43.
- Blane, A., H. C. Lee, T. Falkmer, and T. D. Willstrand. 2017. "Assessing Cognitive Ability and Simulator-Based Driving Performance in Poststroke Adults." Behavioural Neurology 2017: 1-9.
- Chee, D. Y., H. C. Lee, A. H. Patomella, and T. Falkmer. 2017. "Driving Behaviour Profile of Drivers with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)." Journal Of Autism And Developmental Disorders 47 (9): 2658-2670.
- Lim, Y. H., D. Y. Chee, S. Girdler, and H. C. Lee. 2017. "Median nerve mobilization techniques in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: A systematic review." Journal Of Hand Therapy 30 (4): 397-406.
- Sun, Q. C., J. C. Xia, T. Falkmer, and H. Lee. 2016. "Investigating the spatial pattern of older drivers' eye fixation behaviour and associations with their visual capacity." Journal of Eye Movement Research 9 (6): 39-43.
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, N. Nadarajah, T. Falkmer, J. Foster, and H. Lee. 2016. "Assessing Drivers' Visual-motor Coordination Using Eye Tracking, GNSS and GIS: a Spatial Turn in Driving Psychology." Journal of Spatial Science 61 (2): 299-316.
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, T. Falkmer, J. Foster, M. Purwaningsih, S. Vaz, and H. Lee.. "Unpacking Older Drivers' Manoeuvre at Roundabouts: Their Visual-motor Coordination and the Underlying Neuropsychological Mechanisms." Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour xx Inpress.
- Yi, J., H. Lee, R. Parsons, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "The Effect of the Global Positioning System on the Driving Performance of People with Mild Alzheimer's Disease." Gerontology 61: 79-88.
- Sun, Q., J. Xia, N. Nadarajah, T. Falkmer, J. Foster, and H. Lee. 2015. "Positioning Eye Fixation and Vehicle Movement: Visual-motor Coordination Assessment in Naturalistic Driving." In Research@Locate15, Mar 10, 2015, Brisbane, Australia
- Chee, D., H. Lee, S. Falkmer, T. Barnett, O. Falkmer, J. Siljehav, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Viewpoints on driving of individuals with and without autism spectrum disorder." Developmental Neurorehabilitation 18 (1): 26-36.
- Falkmer, S., T. Barnett, C. Horlin, O. Falkmer, J. Siljehav, S. Fristedt, H. Lee, D. Chee, A. Wretstrand, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Viewpoints of Adults with and without Autism Spectrum Disorders on Public Transport Transportation." Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 80: 163-183.
- Motta, K., H. Lee, and T. Falkmer. 2014. "Post-stroke driving: Examining the effect of executive dysfunction." Journal of Safety Research 49: 33-38.
- Lee, H. C. 2014. "The role of occupational therapy in the recovery stage of disaster relief: A report from earthquake stricken areas in China." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 61: 28-31.
- Motta, K., H. Lee, and T. Falkmer. 2014. "Post-stroke driving: Examining the effect of executive dysfunction." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Road Safety (RSS2013), Oct 1, 2013, Rome, Italy: Pergamon.
- Chee, D. Y. T., H. C. Lee, A. H. Lee, and T. Falkmer. 2013. "Performance of drivers with Parkinson's Disease under the effect of cognitive overloading: insinuation for assessment and training." Advances in Transportation Studies: an International Journal 29: 5-18.
- Hall, B., H. C. Lee, H. Fitzgerald, B. Byrne, A. Barton, and A. H. Lee. 2013. "Investigating the Effectiveness of Full-Time Wrist Splinting and Education in the Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial." The American Journal of Occupational Therapy 67 (4): 448-459.
- Bjelkemyr, A., T. Dukic, R. Owens, T. Falkmer, and H. C. Lee. 2013. "Support Systems Designed for Older Drivers to Achieve Safe and Comfortable Driving." Journal of Transportation Technologies 3: 233-240.
- Lee, A., F. Hirayama, and H. Lee. 2013. "Coffee consumption and male urinary incontinence." Australian and New Zealand Continence Journal 19 (2): 46-51.
- Lee, H. C. 2013. "Three-year caregiver's reports on driving performance: A divination or diagnostic tool for fitness to drive in Parkinson Disease patients." Advances in Parkinson's Disease 2 (2): 47-52.
- Lee, H. C., D. Y. Chee, H. Selander, and T. Falkmer. 2012. "Is it reliable to assess visual attention of drivers affected by Parkinson's disease from the backseat? - a simulator study." Emerging Health Threats Journal 5 (1)
- Cheng, A. S. K., and H. C. Lee. 2012. "Risk-taking behavior and response inhibition of commuter motorcyclists with different levels of impulsivity." Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour 15 (5): 535-543.
- Cheng, A. S. K., T. C. K. Ng, and H. C. Lee. 2012. "Impulsive personality and risk-taking behavior in motorcycle traffic offenders: A matched controlled study." Personality and Individual Differences 53 (5): 597-602.
- Forsman, F., A. Sjors, J. Dahlman, T. Falkmer, and H. C. Lee. 2012. "Eye Tracking during High Speed Navigation at Sea." Journal of Transportation Technologies 2 (3): 277-283.
- Cheng, A. S. K., T. C. K. Ng, and H. C. Lee. 2011. "A comparison of the hazard perception ability of accident-involved and accident-free motorcycle riders." Accident Analysis & Prevention 43 (4): 1464-1471.
- Selander, H., H. C. Lee, K. Johansson, and T. Falkmer. 2011. "Older drivers: On-road and off-road test results." Accident Analysis and Prevention 43: 1348-1354.
- Davies, J., H. Lee, and T. Falkmer. 2011. "An Investigation into the Impact of Parkinson's Disease upon Decision Making Ability and Driving Performance." In Diagnostics and Rehabilitation of Parkinson's Disease, 309-338 Janeza Trdine 9, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
- Lee, H. C. 2010. "The Ability Profile of People with Parkinson Disease: Cognitive and Motor Functions in Driving." In Automobiles: Performance, Safety Assessment, and Energy Consumption, 43-60 New York: Nova Publishers.
- Lee, H. C., A. H. Lee, and M. Clinton. 2010. "Fire safety of older Chinese migrants in Western Australia." In Fire Safety, 89-99 USA: Nova Publishers.
- Hall, B., H. Lee, R. Page, L. Rosenwax, and A. H. Lee. 2010. "Comparing three postoperative treatment protocols for extensor tendon repair in zones V and VI of the hand." American Journal of Occupational Therapy 64 (5): 682-688.
- Lee, H. C., A. H. Lee, M. Clinton, G. Zhang, and M. L. Fraser. 2008. "Protecting Older People from Burglary: Prevalence of Security Devices in the Home of Older Adults in Perth, Western Australia." Journal of Housing for the Elderly 22 (4): 335-347.
- Cordell, R., H. C. Lee, A. Granger, B. Vieira, and A. H. Lee. 2008. "Driving assessment in Parkinson's disease - A novel predictor of performance?." Movement Disorders 23 (9): 1217-1222.
- Lee, H., T. Falkmer, L. Rosenwax, R. Cordell, A. Granger, and A. Lee. 2008. "Validity of driving simulator in assessing drivers with Parkinson's Disease." Advances in Transportation Studies: an International Journal 0: 81-90.
- Li-Tsang, C. W. P., H. C. Y. Lee, and L. K. Hung. 2006. "Validation of chopsticks manipulation test for screening Chinese children with fine motor dysfunction." Hong Kong Journal of Paediatrics 11 (2): 103-109.
- Zhang, G. C., A. H. Lee, H. C. Lee, and M. Clinton. 2006. "Fire safety among the elderly in Western Australia." Fire Safety Journal 41 (1): 57-61.
- Lee, H. C. 2006. "Virtual driving tests for older adult drivers?." British Journal of Occupational Therapy 69 (3): 138-141.
- Coldham, F., J. Lewis, and H. Lee. 2006. "The reliability of one vs. three grip trials in symptomatic and asymptomatic subjects." Journal of Hand Therapy 19 (3): 318-326.
- Taylor, R., and H. Lee. 2005. "Occupational therapist's perception of usage of information and communication technology (ICT) in Western Australia and the association of availability of ICT on recruitment and retention of therapists working rural areas." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 52: 51-56.
- Lee, H. C., and A. H. Lee. 2005. "Identifying older drivers at risk of traffic violations by using a driving simulator: A 3-year longitudinal study." American Journal of Occupational Therapy 59 (1): 97-100.
- Lee, H., and B. Svens. 2005. "Intra- and inter-instrument reliability of Grip-Strength Measurments: GripTrack and Jamar hand dynamometers." British Journal of Hand Therapy 10 (2): 47-55.
- Lee, H. C., A. H. Lee, and D. Cameron. 2003. "Validation of a driving simulator by measuring the visual attention skill of older adult drivers." American Journal of Occupational Therapy 57 (3): 324-328.
- Lee, H. C., D. Cameron, and A. H. Lee. 2003. "Assessing the driving performance of older adult drivers: On-road versus simulated driving." Accident Analysis and Prevention 35 (5): 797-803.
- Lee, H. C., A. H. Lee, D. Cameron, and C. Li-Tsang. 2003. "Using a driving simulator to identify older drivers at inflated risk of motor vehicle crashes." Journal of Safety Research 34: 453-459.
- Lee, H. C., A. H. Lee, and D. Cameron. 2003. "Using a driving simulator to identify older drivers at risk of traffic infringements." Australasian Journal of Ageing 22 (2): 100-103.
- Lee, H. 2003. "The validity of driving simulator to measure on-road driving performance of older drivers." Transport Engineering in Australia 8 (2): 89-100.
- Lee, H., A. Lee, and D. Cameron. 2003. "Validation of a Driving Simulator by Measuring the Visual Attention Skill of Older Adult Drivers." In Geriatric Issues in Occupational Therapy, 17-23 Bethesda, MD: AOTA Press (The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.).
- Lee, H. C., V. Drake, and D. Cameron. 2002. "Identification of appropriate assessment criteria to measure older adults' driving performance in simulated driving." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 49 (3): 138-145.