Bright fireballs that pass through the atmosphere, under the right conditions, can result in a meteorite falling to Earth. When observed from multiple locations, the atmospheric trajectory and orbit of the meteoroid can be determined. I work as part of the Australian Desert Fireball Network project and look at different methods of meteoroid trajectory analysis. These include extended Kalman filters, interactive multiple models (to investigate fragmentation modelling) and particle filters. The results aim to improve search area predictions for meteorite recoveries identified by fireball networks.
- Devillepoix, H. A. R., P. A. Bland, E. K. Sansom, M. C. Towner, M. Cupák, R. M. Howie, B. A. D. Hartig, T. Jansen-Sturgeon, and M. A. Cox. 2019. "Observation of metre-scale impactors by the Desert Fireball Network." Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 483 (4): 5166-5178.
- Jansen-Sturgeon, T., E. K. Sansom, and P. A. Bland. 2019. "Comparing analytical and numerical approaches to meteoroid orbit determination using Hayabusa telemetry." Meteoritics and Planetary Science 54 (9): 2149-2162.
- Sansom, E. K., T. Jansen-Sturgeon, M. G. Rutten, H. A. R. Devillepoix, P. A. Bland, R. M. Howie, M. A. Cox, M. C. Towner, M. Cupak, and B. A. D. Hartig. 2019. "3D meteoroid trajectories." ICARUS 321: 388-406.
- Devillepoix, H. A. R., E. K. Sansom, P. A. Bland, M. C. Towner, M. Cupák, R. M. Howie, T. Jansen-Sturgeon, M. A. Cox, B. A. D. Hartig, G. K. Benedix, and 1 more contributors. 2018. "The Dingle Dell meteorite: A Halloween treat from the Main Belt." Meteoritics and Planetary Science 53 (10): 2212-2227.
- Daubar, I., P. Lognonné, N. A. Teanby, K. Miljkovic, J. Stevanović, J. Vaubaillon, B. Kenda, T. Kawamura, J. Clinton, A. Lucas, and 27 more contributors. 2018. "Impact-Seismic Investigations of the InSight Mission." Space Science Reviews 214 (8)
- Abbott, B. P., R. Abbott, T. D. Abbott, F. Acernese, K. Ackley, C. Adams, T. Adams, P. Addesso, R. X. Adhikari, V. B. Adya, and 3604 more contributors. 2017. "Multi-messenger observations of a binary neutron star merger." Astrophysical Journal Letters 848 (2)
- Howie, R. M., J. Paxman, P. A. Bland, M. C. Towner, E. K. Sansom, and H. A. R. Devillepoix. 2017. "Submillisecond fireball timing using de Bruijn timecodes." Meteoritics and Planetary Science 52 (8): 1669-1682.
- Howie, R. M., J. Paxman, P. A. Bland, M. C Towner, M. Cupak, E. K. Sansom, and H. A R Devillepoix. 2017. "How to build a continental scale fireball camera network." Experimental Astronomy 43 (3): 237-266.
- Andreoni, I., K. Ackley, J. Cooke, A. Acharyya, J. R. Allison, G. E. Anderson, M. C. B. Ashley, D. Baade, M. Bailes, K. Bannister, and 115 more contributors. 2017. "Follow Up of GW170817 and Its Electromagnetic Counterpart by Australian-Led Observing Programmes." Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia 34
- Sansom, E. K., M. G. Rutten, and P. A. Bland. 2017. "Analyzing meteoroid flights using particle filters." Astronomical Journal 153 (2)
- Benedix, G. K., L. V. Forman, L. Daly, B. Godel, L. Esteban, M. M. M. Meier, C. Maden, H. Busemann, Q. Z. Yin, and M. Sanborn. 2017. "Mineralogy, Petrology and Chronology of the Dingle Dell Meteorite."
- Paxman, J. P., P. A. Bland, R. M. Howie, M. C. Towner, M. Cupak, H. A. R. Devillepoix, and E. K. Sansom. 2016. "The desert fireball network: A sensor network for meteorite tracking and recovery." In 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics & Vision (ICARCV 2016), Nov 13, 2016, Phuket, Thailand
- Sansom, E. K., P. A. Bland, M. G. Rutten, J. Paxman, and M. C. Towner. 2016. "Filtering meteoroid flights using multiple unscented Kalman filters." Astronomical Journal 152 (5): 148-155.
- Sansom, E. K., P. Bland, J. Paxman, and M. Towner. 2015. "A novel approach to fireball modeling: The observable and the calculated." Meteoritics and Planetary Science 50 (8): 1423-1435.
- Reeve, M. T., R. E. Bell, O. B. Duffy, C. A. L. Jackson, and E. Sansom. 2015. "The growth of non-colinear normal fault systems; What can we learn from 3D seismic reflection data?." Journal of Structural Geology 70: 141-155.
- Bland, P., G. Benedix, and N. Desert Fireball. 2015. "Catching a Falling Star (or Meteorite) - Fireball Camera Networks in the 21st Century." Elements: an international magazine of mineralogy, geochemistry, and petrology 11: 160-161.
- Howie, R. M., J. Paxman, P. A. Bland, M. C. Towner, M. Cupak, and E. K. Sansom. 2014. "Advanced digital fireball observatories: Enabling the expansion of the desert fireball network." In 2014 XXXIVW URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS 2014), Aug 16, 2014, Beijing, China: IEEE.
- Sansom, E. K., P. A. Bland, J. Paxman, and M. C. Towner. 2014. "Characterising fireballs for mass determination: Steps toward automating the Australian desert fireball network." In 2014 XXXIVW URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI GASS 2014), Aug 16, 2014, Beijing, China: IEEE.