As Deputy Head of School of Occupational Therapy, Social Work and Speech Pathology I am involved in both teaching and learning, and research. Research to date has involved musculoskeletal issues associated with children's use of information technology, the use of elearning activities for effective teaching and assessment marking, use of technology to enable pepole with disabilities to engage in everyday occupations, and evaluation of assisitve technology services.
I have worked as an occupational therapist in all states of Australia and the USA. My areas of interest are child health, occupational health, ergonomics, professional practice / leadership and management, and research.
- Axford, C., A. V. Joosten, and C. Harris. 2018. "iPad applications that required a range of motor skills promoted motor coordination in children commencing primary school." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 65 (2): 146-155.
- Straker, L., C. Harris, J. Joosten, and E. K. Howie. 2018. "Mobile technology dominates school children’s IT use in an advantaged school community and is associated with musculoskeletal and visual symptoms." Ergonomics 61 (5): 658-669.
- Harris, C., L. Straker, and C. Pollock. 2017. "A socioeconomic related 'digital divide' exists in how, not if, young people use computers." PLoS ONE 12 (3): 1-13.
- Harris, C., and S. Hunter. 2016. "Smart-home technologies were found to support some domains of independent living when ageing at home: Perspectives of older adult consumers’, families, health professionals and service providers." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 63 (6): 439-440.
- Harris, C., L. Straker, C. Pollock, and A. Smith. 2015. "Children, computer exposure and musculoskeletal outcomes: the development of pathway models for school and home computer-related musculoskeletal outcomes." Ergonomics 58: 1611-1623.
- Brewer, M., H. Flavell, C. Harris, M. Davis, and K. Bathgate. 2014. "Ensuring Health Graduates' Employability in a Changing World: Developing Interprofessional Practice Capabilities Using a Framework to Inform Curricula." Journal of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Employability 5 (1): 29-46.
- Harris, C., L. Straker, and C. Pollock. 2013. "The influence of age, gender and other information technology use on young people's computer use at school and home." Work 44
- Harris, C., L. M. Straker, A. Smith, and C. Pollock. 2012. "A proposed model representing the relationships between user characteristics, computer exposure and musculoskeletal symptoms in children." Work 41: 838-845.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Portsmouth, C. Harris, and K. Jacobs. 2012. "Promoting healthy computer use among middle school students: a pilot school-based health promotion program." Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation (SUPPL.1): 851-856.
- Bathgate, K., and C. J. Harris. 2012. "The impact of eLearning tools on the interprofessional learning experience in a first year foundations health unit." In Engaging students with learning technologies Herrington, A., J. Schrape, and K. Singh., 209-222 Australia: Curtin University of Technology.
- Almberg, L., J. Comfort, C. J. Harris, and B. Oliver. 2011. "ePortfolios for assessment and learning: student perceptions, opportunities and challenges arising from Curtin University's iPortfolio use in diverse disciplines." In ATN Assessment Conference 2011: Meeting the Challenges, Oct 20, 2011, Perth, Western Australia: Curtin University.
- Harris, C. J., L. Straker, and C. Pollock. 2007. "Children's Exposure and Use of Information Technology." In 43rd Annual Conference - Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia, Nov 26, 2007, Perth, Western Australia: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia Inc.
- Harris, C., L. Straker, and C. Pollock. 2007. "Children's exposure and use of information technology."
- Harris, C., L. M. Straker, C. Pollock, and S. Trinidad. 2005. "Musculo-skeletal outcomes in children using information technology - the need for a specific etiological model." International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 35: 131-138.
- Harris, C., and L. Straker. 2000. "Survey of physical ergonomics issues associated with school childrens' use of laptop computers." International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 26 (3): 337-346.
- Straker, L., C. Harris, and D. Zandvliet. 2000. "Scarring a generation of school children through poor introduction of information technology in schools."