I received BSc and MSc degrees from Brigham Young University (USA) in 2009 and 2011, respectively and completed a PhD in 2014 at the University of St Andrews (UK). After an 18 month postdoc at the NERC Isotope Geosciences Laboratory (UK), I joined the Department of Applied Geology after Curtin in 2015 to commence a five year Curtin Early Career Research Fellowship.
PhD (St And)
I am primarily interested in the evolution of orogenic systems, growth and evolution of continental crust, and collisional tectonics. The research tools I use to address geologic questions include field mapping, structural geology, metamorphic petrology, geothermobarometry, isotope geochemistry, and zirconology (U-Pb, Hf, O, REE, etc).
- Spencer, C. J., C. L. Kirkland, N. M. W. Roberts, N. J. Evans, and J. Liebmann. 2020. "Strategies towards robust interpretations of in situ zircon Lu–Hf isotope analyses." Geoscience Frontiers 11 (3): 843-853.
- Hopkinson, T., N. Harris, N. M. W. Roberts, C. J. Warren, S. Hammond, C. J. Spencer, and R. R. Parrish. 2020. "Evolution of the melt source during protracted crustal anatexis: An example from the Bhutan Himalaya." Geology 48 (1): 87-91.
- Martin, E. L., W. J. Collins, and C. J. Spencer. 2020. "Laurentian origin of the Cuyania suspect terrane, western Argentina, confirmed by Hf isotopes in zircon." Bulletin of the Geological Society of America 132 (1-2): 273-290.
- Volante, S., A. Pourteau, W. J. Collins, E. Blereau, Z. X. Li, M. Smit, N. J. Evans, A. R. Nordsvan, C. J. Spencer, B. J. McDonald, and 2 more contributors. 2020. "Multiple P–T–d–t paths reveal the evolution of the final Nuna assembly in northeast Australia." Journal of Metamorphic Geology 38 (6): 593-627.
- Hu, X. K., L. Tang, S. T. Zhang, M. Santosh, L. Sun, C. J. Spencer, H. Jeon, Y. Zhao, and D. F. Huang. 2020. "Geochemistry, zircon U-Pb geochronology and Hf-O isotopes of the Late Mesozoic granitoids from the Xiong'ershan area, East Qinling Orogen, China: Implications for petrogenesis and molybdenum metallogeny." Ore Geology Reviews 124
- Doucet, L. S., Z. X. Li, H. Gamal El Dien, A. Pourteau, J. B. Murphy, W. J. Collins, N. Mattielli, H. K. H. Olierook, C. J. Spencer, and R. N. Mitchell. 2020. "Distinct formation history for deep-mantle domains reflected in geochemical differences." Nature Geoscience 13 (7): 511-515.
- Wang, Q., C. J. Spencer, R. Hamdidouche, G. Zhao, N. J. Evans, and B. J. McDonald. 2020. "Detrital zircon U–Pb–Hf data from Cambrian sandstones of the Ougarta Mountains Algeria: Implication for palaeoenvironment." Geological Journal 55 (12): 7760-7774.
- Nke, A. Y., R. H. Bailie, P. H. Macey, R. J. Thomas, D. Frei, P. Le Roux, and C. J. Spencer. 2020. "The 1.8 Ga Gladkop Suite: The youngest Palaeoproterozoic domain in the Namaqua-Natal Metamorphic Province, South Africa." Precambrian Research 350
- Spencer, C. J. 2020. "Continuous continental growth as constrained by the sedimentary record." American Journal of Science 320 (4): 373-401.
- Volante, S., W. J. Collins, E. Blereau, A. Pourteau, C. Spencer, N. J. Evans, V. Barrote, A. R. Nordsvan, Z. X. Li, and J. Li. 2020. "Reassessing zircon-monazite thermometry with thermodynamic modelling: insights from the Georgetown igneous complex, NE Australia." Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 175 (12)
- Martin, E. L., C. J. Spencer, W. J. Collins, R. J. Thomas, P. H. Macey, and N. M. W. Roberts. 2020. "The core of Rodinia formed by the juxtaposition of opposed retreating and advancing accretionary orogens." Earth-Science Reviews 211
- Spencer, C. J., B. Dyck, C. M. Mottram, N. M. W. Roberts, W. H. Yao, and E. L. Martin. 2019. "Deconvolving the pre-Himalayan Indian margin – Tales of crustal growth and destruction." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (3): 863-872.
- Putnis, A., C. J. Spencer, and T. Raimondo. 2019. "Timescales of geological processes: Preface." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (1): 1-3.
- Spencer, C. J., C. L. Kirkland, A. R. Prave, R. A. Strachan, and V. Pease. 2019. "Crustal reworking and orogenic styles inferred from zircon Hf isotopes: Proterozoic examples from the North Atlantic region." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (2): 417-424.
- Hu, X. K., L. Tang, S. T. Zhang, M. Santosh, C. J. Spencer, Y. Zhao, H. W. Cao, and Q. M. Pei. 2019. "In situ trace element and sulfur isotope of pyrite constrain ore genesis in the Shapoling molybdenum deposit, East Qinling Orogen, China." Ore Geology Reviews 105: 123-136.
- Baker, T. R., A. R. Prave, and C. J. Spencer. 2019. "1.99 Ga mafic magmatism in the Rona terrane of the Lewisian Gneiss Complex in Scotland." Precambrian Research 329: 224-231.
- Li, Z. X., R. N. Mitchell, C. J. Spencer, R. Ernst, S. Pisarevsky, U. Kirscher, and J. B. Murphy. 2019. "Decoding Earth's rhythms: Modulation of supercontinent cycles by longer superocean episodes." Precambrian Research 323: 1-5.
- Manda, B. W. C., P. A. Cawood, C. J. Spencer, T. Prave, R. Robinson, and N. M. W. Roberts. 2019. "Evolution of the Mozambique Belt in Malawi constrained by granitoid U-Pb, Sm-Nd and Lu-Hf isotopic data." Gondwana Research 68: 93-107.
- Spencer, C. J., M. Danišík, H. Ito, C. Hoiland, S. Tapster, H. Jeon, B. McDonald, and N. J. Evans. 2019. "Rapid Exhumation of Earth's Youngest Exposed Granites Driven by Subduction of an Oceanic Arc." Geophysical Research Letters 46 (3): 1259-1267.
- Spencer, C. J., N. M. W. Roberts, and R. D. Nance. 2019. "“Miles wide and miles deep” – Exploring the depth and breadth of geoscience during the first ten years of Geoscience Frontiers." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (3): 1219-1221.
- Song, K. R., L. Tang, S. T. Zhang, M. Santosh, C. J. Spencer, Y. Zhao, H. X. Li, L. Wang, A. L. Zhang, and Y. Q. Sun. 2019. "Genesis of the Bianjiadayuan Pb–Zn polymetallic deposit, Inner Mongolia, China: Constraints from in-situ sulfur isotope and trace element geochemistry of pyrite." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (5): 1863-1877.
- Larson, K., and C. J. Spencer. 2019. "Himalayan Tectonics: Preface." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (3): 791-792.
- Spencer, C. J., J. B. Murphy, C. W. Hoiland, S. T. Johnston, R. N. Mitchell, and W. J. Collins. 2019. "Evidence for Whole Mantle Convection Driving Cordilleran Tectonics." Geophysical Research Letters 46 (8): 4239-4248.
- Spencer, C. J., C. A. Partin, C. L. Kirkland, T. D. Raub, J. Liebmann, and R. A. Stern. 2019. "Paleoproterozoic increase in zircon δ18O driven by rapid emergence of continental crust." Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 257: 16-25.
- Spencer, C. J., C. L. Kirkland, and R. J. M. Taylor. 2019. "Corrigendum to “Strategies towards statistically robust interpretations of in situ U–Pb zircon geochronology” (Strategies towards statistically robust interpretations of in situ U–Pb zircon geochronology (2016) 7(4) (581–589), (S1674987115001322), (10.1016/j.gsf.2015.11.006))." Geoscience Frontiers 10 (6)
- Mitchell, R. N., C. J. Spencer, U. Kirscher, X. F. He, J. B. Murphy, Z. X. Li, and W. J. Collins. 2019. "Harmonic hierarchy of mantle and lithospheric convective cycles: Time series analysis of hafnium isotopes of zircon." Gondwana Research 75: 239-248.
- Tang, L., X. K. Hu, M. Santosh, S. T. Zhang, C. J. Spencer, H. Jeon, Y. Zhao, and H. W. Cao. 2019. "Multistage processes linked to tectonic transition in the genesis of orogenic gold deposit: A case study from the Shanggong lode deposit, East Qinling, China." Ore Geology Reviews 111
- Zhang, C., S. Jiang, D. D. Liu, R. Chakrabarti, J. H. Zeng, M. Santosh, Q. Luo, C. J. Spencer, C. Ma, L. F. Liu, and 1 more contributors. 2019. "A novel model for silicon recycling in the lithosphere: Evidence from the Central Asian Orogenic Belt." Gondwana Research 76: 115-122.
- McFarlane, H. B., N. Thébaud, L. A. Parra-Avila, R. Armit, C. Spencer, J. Ganne, L. Aillères, L. Baratoux, P. G. Betts, and M. W. Jessell. 2019. "Onset of the supercontinent cycle: Evidence for multiple oceanic arc accretion events in the Paleoproterozoic Sefwi Greenstone Belt of the West African Craton." Precambrian Research 335
- Bucholz, C. E., and C. J. Spencer. 2019. "Strongly Peraluminous Granites across the Archean-Proterozoic Transition." Journal of Petrology 60 (7): 1299-1348.
- Pastor-Galán, D., R. D. Nance, J. B. Murphy, and C. J. Spencer. 2019. "Supercontinents: Myths, mysteries, and milestones." Geological Society Special Publication 470 (1): 39-64.
- Bucholz, C. E., and C. J. Spencer. 2019. "Erratum: 'Strongly Peraluminous Granites across the Archean-Proterozoic Transition' (Journal of Petrology (2019) 60 (1299-1348) DOI: 10.1093/petrology/egz033)." Journal of Petrology 60 (9)
- Spencer, C. J., J. B. Murphy, C. L. Kirkland, Y. Liu, and R. N. Mitchell. 2018. "A Palaeoproterozoic tectono-magmatic lull as a potential trigger for the supercontinent cycle." Nature Geoscience 11 (2): 97-101.
- Palin, R. M., and C. J. Spencer. 2018. "Secular change in earth processes: Preface." Geoscience Frontiers 9 (4): 965-966.
- Yao, W., Z. X. Li, C. J. Spencer, and E. L. Martin. 2018. "Indian-derived sediments deposited in Australia during Gondwana assembly." Precambrian Research 312: 23-37.
- Gardiner, N. J., M. P. Searle, C. K. Morley, L. J. Robb, M. J. Whitehouse, N. M. W. Roberts, C. L. Kirkland, and C. J. Spencer. 2018. "The crustal architecture of Myanmar imaged through zircon U-Pb, Lu-Hf and O isotopes: Tectonic and metallogenic implications." Gondwana Research 62: 27-60.
- Nordsvan, A. R., W. J. Collins, Z. X. Li, C. J. Spencer, A. Pourteau, I. W. Withnall, P. G. Betts, and S. Volante. 2018. "Laurentian crust in northeast Australia: Implications for the assembly of the supercontinent Nuna." Geology 46: 521-524.
- Spencer, C. J., C. L. Kirkland, and N. M. W. Roberts. 2018. "Implications of erosion and bedrock composition on zircon fertility: Examples from South America and Western Australia." Terra Nova 30 (4): 289-295.
- Johnson, T. E., N. J. Gardiner, K. Miljkovic, C. J. Spencer, C. L. Kirkland, P. A. Bland, and H. Smithies. 2018. "An impact melt origin for Earth’s oldest known evolved rocks." Nature Geoscience 11 (10): 795-799.
- Wang, L. J., J. H. Guo, C. Yin, P. Peng, J. Zhang, C. J. Spencer, and J. H. Qian. 2018. "High-temperature S-type granitoids (charnockites) in the Jining complex, North China Craton: Restite entrainment and hybridization with mafic magma." Lithos 320-321: 435-453.
- Mulder, J. A., K. E. Karlstrom, J. A. Halpin, A. S. Merdith, C. J. Spencer, R. F. Berry, and B. McDonald. 2018. "Rodinian devil in disguise: Correlation of 1.25-1.10 Ga strata between Tasmania and Grand Canyon." Geology 46 (11): 991-994.
- Gilmer, A. K., R. S. J. Sparks, J. D. Blundy, A. C. Rust, F. Hauff, K. Hoernle, C. J. Spencer, and S. Tapster. 2018. "Petrogenesis and assembly of the Don Manuel igneous complex, miocene-pliocene porphyry copper belt, Central Chile." Journal of Petrology 59 (6): 1067-1108.
- Spencer, C. J., N. M. W. Roberts, and M. Santosh. 2017. "Growth, destruction, and preservation of Earth's continental crust." Earth-Science Reviews 172: 87-106.
- Hopkinson, T. N., N. B. W. Harris, C. J. Warren, C. J. Spencer, N. M. W. Roberts, M. S. A. Horstwood, R. R. Parrish, and EIMF. 2017. "The identification and significance of pure sediment-derived granites." Earth And Planetary Science Letters 467: 57-63.
- Kirkland, C. L., F. Abello, M. Danisik, N. J. Gardiner, and C. J. Spencer. 2017. "Mapping temporal and spatial patterns of zircon U-Pb disturbance: A Yilgarn Craton case study." GONDWANA RESEARCH 52: 39-47.
- Spencer, C. J., A. J. Cavosie, T. D. Raub, H. Rollinson, H. Jeon, M. P. Searle, J. A. Miller, B. J. McDonald, N. J. Evans, and Edinburgh Ion Microprobe Facility. 2017. "Evidence for melting mud in Earth's mantle from extreme oxygen isotope signatures in zircon." Geology 45 (11): 975-978.
- Spencer, C. J., K. L. Gunderson, C. W. Hoiland, and W. K. Schleiffarth. 2017. "Earth-science outreach using an integrated social media platform." GSA Today 27 (8): 28-29.
- Spencer, C. J., C. Yakymchuk, and M. Ghaznavi. 2017. "Visualising data distributions with kernel density estimation and reduced chi-squared statistic." Geoscience Frontiers 8 (6): 1247-1252.
- Ito, H., C. J. Spencer, M. Danišík, and C. W. Hoiland. 2017. "Magmatic tempo of Earth's youngest exposed plutons as revealed by detrital zircon U-Pb geochronology." Scientific Reports 7 (1)
- Kirkland, C. L., C. V. Spaggiari, T. E. Johnson, R. H. Smithies, M. Danišík, N. Evans, M. T. D. Wingate, C. Clark, C. Spencer, E. Mikucki, and 1 more contributors. 2016. "Grain size matters: Implications for element and isotopic mobility in titanite." Precambrian Research 278: 283-302.
- Spencer, C. J., C. L. Kirkland, and R. J. M. Taylor. 2016. "Strategies towards statistically robust interpretations of in situ U–Pb zircon geochronology." Geoscience Frontiers in press
- Thomas, R. J., P. H. Macey, C. Spencer, T. Dhansay, J. F. A. Diener, C. W. Lambert, D. Frei, and A. Nguno. 2016. "The Sperrgebiet Domain, Aurus Mountains, SW Namibia: A ∼2020–850 Ma window within the Pan-African Gariep Orogen." Precambrian Research 286: 35-58.
- Spencer, C. J., and C. L. Kirkland. 2016. "Visualizing the sedimentary response through the orogenic cycle: a multi-dimensional scaling approach." Lithosphere 8 (1): 29-37.
- Spencer, C. J., R. A. Harris, and J. R. Major. 2016. "Provenance of Permian–Triassic Gondwana Sequence units accreted to the Banda Arc in the Timor region: Constraints from zircon U–Pb and Hf isotopes." Gondwana Research 38: 28-39.
- Gardiner, N. J., M. P. Searle, C. K. Morley, M. P. Whitehouse, C. J. Spencer, and L. J. Robb. 2016. "The closure of Palaeo-Tethys in Eastern Myanmar and Northern Thailand: New insights from zircon U–Pb and Hf isotope data." Gondwana Research 39: 401-422.
- Thomas, R. J., C. Spencer, A. M. Bushi, N. Baglow, N. Boniface, G. de Kock, M. S. A. Horstwood, L. Hollick, J. Jacobs, S. Kajara, and 14 more contributors. 2016. "Geochronology of the central Tanzania Craton and its southern and eastern orogenic margins." Precambrian Research 277: 47-67.
- Spencer, C. J., P. A. Cawood, C. J. Hawkesworth, A. R. Prave, N. M. W. Roberts, M. S. A. Horstwood, and M. J. Whitehouse. 2015. "Generation and preservation of continental crust in the Grenville Orogeny." Geoscience Frontiers 6 (3): 357-372.
- Spencer, C. J., R. J. Thomas, N. M. W. Roberts, P. A. Cawood, I. Millar, and S. Tapster. 2015. "Crustal growth during island arc accretion and transcurrent deformation, Natal Metamorphic Province, South Africa: New isotopic constraints." Precambrian Research 265: 203-217.
- Robers, N., and C. Spencer. 2015. "The zircon archive of continent formation through time." In Continent Formation Through Time, 197-226 United Kingdom: Geological Society Publishing House.
- Spencer, C. J., P. A. Cawood, C. J. Hawkesworth, T. D. Raub, A. R. Prave, and N. M. W. Roberts. 2014. "Proterozoic onset of crustal reworking and collisional tectonics: Reappraisal of the zircon oxygen isotope record." Geology 42 (5): 451-454.
- Spencer, C. J., N. M. W. Roberts, P. A. Cawood, C. J. Hawkesworth, A. R. Prave, A. S. M. Antonini, and M. S. A. Horstwood. 2014. "Intermontane basins and bimodal volcanism at the onset of the Sveconorwegian Orogeny, southern Norway." Precambrian Research 252: 107-118.
- Spencer, C. J., A. R. Prave, P. A. Cawood, and N. M. W. Roberts. 2014. "Detrital zircon geochronology of the Grenville/Llano foreland and basal Sauk Sequence in west Texas, USA." Geological Society of America Bulletin 0: 1-12.
- Dorais, M. J., and C. J. Spencer. 2014. "Revisiting the importance of residual source material (restite) in granite petrogenesis: The Cardigan Pluton, New Hampshire." Lithos 202-203: 237-249.
- Spencer, C. J., C. Hawkesworth, P. A. Cawood, and B. Dhuime. 2013. "Not all supercontinents are created equal: Gondwana-Rodinia case study." Geology 41 (7): 795-799.
- Spencer, C. J., R. A. Harris, and M. J. Dorais. 2012. "Depositional provenance of the Himalayan metamorphic core of Garhwal region, India: Constrained by U-Pb and Hf isotopes in zircons." Gondwana Research 22: 26-35.
- Spencer, C. J., R. A. Harris, and M. J. Dorais. 2012. "The metamorphism and exhumation of the Himalayan metamorphic core, eastern Garhwal region, India." Tectonics 31: 1-18.
- Spencer, C. J., C. W. Hoiland, R. A. Harris, P. K. Link, and E. A. Balgord. 2012. "Constraining the timing and provenance of the Neoproterozoic Little Willow and Big Cottonwood Formations, Utah: Expanding the sedimentary record for early rifting of Rodinia." Precambrian Research 204-205: 57-65.
- Spencer, C., R. Harris, H. Sachan, and A. Saxena. 2011. "Depositional provenance of the Greater Himalayan Sequence, Garhwal Himalaya, India: Implications for tectonic setting." Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 41: 344-354.
- Schoonmaker, A., W. S. F. Kidd, D. N. Reusch, M. J. Dorais, T. Gregg, and C. Spencer. 2011. "STRATIGRAPHIC CONTEXT, GEOCHEMICAL, AND ISOTOPIC PROPERTIES OF MAGMATISM IN THE SILURO-DEVONIAN INLIERS OF NORTHERN MAINE: IMPLICATIONS FOR THE ACADIAN OROGENY." American Journal of Science 311: 528-572.
- Radebaugh, J., R. Lorenz, T. Farr, P. Paillou, C. Savage, and C. Spencer.. "Linear dunes on Titan and earth: Initial remote sensing comparisons." Geomorphology 121 Inpress.
- Radebaugh, J., R. D. Lorenz, J. I. Lunine, S. D. Wall, G. Boubin, E. Reffet, R. L. Kirk, R. M. Lopes, E. R. Stofan, L. Soderblom, and 6 more contributors.. "Dunes on Titan observed by Cassini Radar." Icarus 194 Inpress.
- Mcbride, J. H., W. J. Stephenson, T. J. Thompson, M. P. Harper, A. A. Eipert, J. C. Hoopes, D. G. Tingey, R. W. Keach, A. O. Okojie-Ayoro, K. L. Gunderson, and 5 more contributors.. "A Geophysical Investigation of Shallow Deformation Along an Anomalous Section of the Wasatch Fault Zone, Utah, USA." Environmental & Engineering Geoscience 3 Inpress.