Dr. Billy Sung is an associate professor at the School of Marketing, Curtin Business School. He holds a Bachelor of Psychology Science (Hons I) and a PhD in Consumer Psychology. His research has been based on the study of emotion and the application of psychophysiological methodology in multiple disciplines including marketing, consumer psychology, health, and robotics.
He is the Research Lead of the Consumer Research Lab. In this role, he has worked on various industry projects with Redbull, Lotterywest, HBF, RAC, Funtavia Geraldton, Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, Fogarty Wine, Gabriel Chocolate, Simmo’s Ice Cream amongst others.
His recent accolades include:
- 2019 ANZMAC Emerging Marketing Educator of the Year Award,
- 2019 Curtin Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching
- Curtin University’s Early Career Researcher of the Year Award,
- Curtin University's Business, Society and Communities Early Career Researcher Award
- 2019 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of Global Fashion Marketing
- 2018 Global Marketing Conference Best Reviewer Award
PhD, B.PsySc (Hons I)
- Adjunct Research Fellow - Menzie Health Institute, Griffith University (2015-present)
- Psychophysiological and biometric methodology
- Consumer Behaviour
- Advertising Appeals
- Consumer Emotion
- Journal of Global Fashion Marketing
Editoral Review Board
- International Journal of Advertising
- Australasian Journal of Marketing
- 2019 ANZMAC Emerging Marketing Educator of the Year Award, Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC)
- 2019 Curtin Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching, Curtin University
- Curtin University’s Early Career Researcher of the Year Award, Curtin University
- Business, Society and Communities Early Career Researcher Award, Curtin University
- 2019 School of Marketing Researcher of the Year Award, Curtin University
- 2019 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of Global Fashion Marketing
- SOM Researcher of the Year Award 2018
- Best Reviewer Award for 2018 Global Marketing Conference
- FBL New Researcher of the Year Award 2017
- FBL New Teacher of the Year Award 2017
- FBL Innovator of the Year Award 2017 (team)
- School of Marketing New Research of the Year Award 2017
- Winner of APD x ANZMAC Research Innovation Competition 2017
- Reviewer of the Year Award 2017 for Australasian Marketing Journal.
- DuPont Innovation Award 2016
- CBS Innovator of the Year Award 2017 (team)
- Most Outstanding Reviewer Award (International Marketing), ANZMAC 2017
- Curtin Commercial Innovation Awards 2016 - Curtin Business School Prize for "Biometric Market Research Laboratory" (Team)
- School of Marketing Teaching Award - Semester 1, 2016
- Best Paper Award - ANZMAC 2014 Inaugural Doctoral Colloquium, Curtin University, Perth
- Best Presenter Award – ANZMAC 2014 Inaugural Doctoral Colloquium, Curtin University, Perth
MKTG6006 Digital and Interactive Marketing
MKTG6011 Consumer Biometrics and Innovations
EdX Online Marketing Strategies
- Sung, B., S. Lee, and T. Teow. 2021. "Revalidating the Boredom Proneness Scales Short From (BPS-SF)." Personality and Individual Differences 168
- Bender, S. M., and B. Sung. 2021. "Fright, attention, and joy while killing zombies in Virtual Reality: A psychophysiological analysis of VR user experience." Psychology and Marketing
- Sung, B., I. Phau, I. Cheah, and K. Teah. 2020. "Critical success factors of public health sponsorship in Australia." Health Promotion International 35 (1): 42-49.
- Moyle, W., C. Jones, and B. Sung. 2020. "Telepresence robots: Encouraging interactive communication between family carers and people with dementia." Australasian Journal on Ageing 39 (1): e127-e133.
- Sung, B., J. Yih, and N. J. Wilson. 2020. "Individual differences in experience after a control task: Boredom proneness, curiosity, and grit correlate with emotion." Australian Journal of Psychology 72 (2): 211-222.
- Sung, B., R. Crawford, M. Teah, M. Stankovic, and I. Phau. 2020. "The “timber box” effect for premium wines." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 54
- Sajtos, L., J. T. Cao, J. A. Espinosa, I. Phau, P. Rossi, B. Sung, and B. Voyer. 2020. "Brand love: Corroborating evidence across four continents." Journal of Business Research
- Septianto, F., Y. Seo, B. Sung, and F. Zhao. 2020. "Authenticity and exclusivity appeals in luxury advertising: the role of promotion and prevention pride." European Journal of Marketing 54 (6): 1305-1323.
- Sun, Y., I. Cheah, B. Sung, and E. J. Lee. 2020. "Innovative research methodologies in marketing research." Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 32 (5): 1001-1003.
- Bender, S., and B. Sung. 2020. "Data-driven creativity for screen production students: developing and testing learning materials involving audience biometrics." Digital Creativity 31 (2): 98-113.
- Sung, B., E. Mergelsberg, M. Teah, B. D’Silva, and I. Phau. 2020. "The effectiveness of a marketing virtual reality learning simulation: A quantitative survey with psychophysiological measures." British Journal of Educational Technology
- Sung, B., S. Hatton-Jones, M. Teah, I. Cheah, and I. Phau. 2020. "Shelf-based scarcity as a cue of luxuriousness: an application of psychophysiology." European Journal of Marketing
- Butcher, L., B. Sung, and K. Raynes-Goldie. 2019. "Gotta catch ‘em all: invigorating Pokémon through an innovative brand extension." Journal of Brand Management 26 (3): 227-239.
- Sung, B., and I. Phau. 2019. "When pride meets envy: Is social superiority portrayal in luxury advertising perceived as prestige or arrogance?." Psychology and Marketing 36 (2): 113-119.
- Moyle, W., C. Jones, T. Dwan, T. Ownsworth, and B. Sung. 2019. "Using telepresence for social connection: views of older people with dementia, families, and health professionals from a mixed methods pilot study." Aging and Mental Health 23 (12): 1643-1650.
- Lee, S., B. Sung, I. Phau, and A. Lim. 2019. "Communicating authenticity in packaging of Korean cosmetics." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 48: 202-214.
- Pereira, B., K. Teah, B. Sung, and M. Teah. 2019. "Building blocks of the luxury jewellery industry: conversations with a CEO." Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 31 (4): 817-829.
- Sung, B., and J. Yih. 2019. "The direct and indirect effects of anger and its cognitive appraisals in public relations incidents." Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 31 (5): 1344-1358.
- Pereira, B., B. Sung, and S. Lee. 2019. "I like watching other people eat: A cross-cultural analysis of the antecedents of attitudes towards Mukbang." Australasian Marketing Journal 27 (2): 78-90.
- Sung, B., E. Vanman, and N. Hartley. 2019. "Interest, but not liking, drives consumer preference toward novelty." Australasian Marketing Journal 27 (4): 242-248.
- Sung, B., I. Phau, and V. C. Duong. 2019. "Opening the ‘black box’ of luxury consumers: An application of psychophysiological method." Journal of Marketing Communications
- Sung, B., N. J. Wilson, J. H. Yun, and E. J. LEE. 2019. "What can neuroscience offer marketing research?." Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics 32 (5): 1089-1111.
- Jia, L., Y. Xu, J. A. Sweeney, C. Wang, B. Sung, and J. Wang. 2019. "An Event-Related Potential Study of the Neural Response to Inferred Motion in Visual Images of Varying Coherence." Frontiers in Psychology 10
- Jones, C., B. Sung, and W. Moyle. 2018. "Engagement of a Person with Dementia Scale: Establishing content validity and psychometric properties." Journal of Advanced Nursing 74 (9): 2227-2240.
- Septianto, F., B. Sung, Y. Seo, and N. Tugiman. 2018. "Proud volunteers: the role of self- and vicarious-pride in promoting volunteering." Marketing Letters 29 (4): 501-519.
- Blake, K. R., J. Yih, K. Zhao, B. Sung, and C. Harmon-Jones. 2017. "Skin-transmitted pathogens and the heebie jeebies: evidence for a subclass of disgust stimuli that evoke a qualitatively unique emotional response." Cognition and Emotion 31 (6): 1153-1168.
- Moyle, W., C. Jones, C. B. Sung, M. Bramble, S. O'Dwyer, M. Blumenstien, and V. Estivill-Castro. 2016. "What effect does an animal robot called CuDDler have on the emotional response of older people with dementia? A pilot study." International Journal of Social Robotics, 8 (1): 145-156.
- Sung, B., N. Hartley, E. Vanman, and I. Phau. 2016. "How can the word "NEW" evoke consumers' experiences of novelty and interest?." Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 31: 166-173.
- Sung, C. B., and J. Yih. 2016. "Does interest broaden or narrow attentional scope?." Cognition and Emotion 30 (8): 1485-1494.
- Sung, B., Y. M. I. Phau, E. Vanman, and N. Hartley. 2016. "The Emotion of Interest and its Relevance to Consumer Psychology and Behaviour." Australasian Marketing Journal 24 (4): 337-343.
- Jones, C. J., B. Sung, and W. Moyle. 2016. "ENGAGEMENT OF A PERSON WITH DEMENTIA SCALE: ASSESSING CONTENT VALIDITY VIA THE DELPHI TECHNIQUE.": OXFORD UNIV PRESS INC.
- Jones, C., C. B. Sung, and W. Moyle. 2015. "Assessing engagement in people with dementia: A new approach to assessment using video analysis." Archives of Psychiatric Nursing 29: 377-382.
- Techakesari, P., F. K. Barlow, M. J. Hornsey, C. B. Sung, M. Thai, and J. L. Y. Chak. 2015. "An Investigation of Positive and Negative Contact As Predictors of Intergroup Attitudes in the United States, Hong Kong, and Thailand." Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 46 (3): 454-468.
- Moyle, W., C. Jones, M. Cooke, C. B. Sung, and S. Drummond. 2014. "Connecting the person with dementia and family: a feasibility study of a telepresence robot." BMC Geriatrics 14 (7): 1471-2318.
- O'Dwyer, S. T., W. Moyle, N. A. Pachana, C. B. Sung, and S. Barrett. 2014. "Feeling that life is not worth living (death thoughts) among middle-aged, Australian women providing unpaid care." Maturitas 77 (4): 375-379.
- Moyle, W., M. L. Cooke, E. Beattie, D. H. K. Shum, S. T. O'Dwyer, C. B. Sung, and S. Barrett. 2014. "Foot massage and physiological stress in people with dementia: A randomized controlled trial." THE JOURNAL OF ALTERNATIVE AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE 20 (4): 305-311.
- Moyle, W., M. L. Cooke, E. Beattie, D. H. K. Shum, S. T. O'Dwyer, S. Barrett, and C. B. Sung. 2014. "Foot Massage and Physiological Stress in People with Dementia: A Randomized Controlled Trial." Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 20 (4): 305-311.
- Moyle, W., M. Cooke, S. T. O'Dwyer, J. Murfield, A. Johnston, and C. B. Sung. 2013. "The effect of foot massage on long-term care staff working with older people with dementia: a pilot, parallel group, randomized controlled trial." BMC Nursing 12 (5)
- Moyle, W., C. Jones, M. Cooke, S. O'Dwyer, B. Sung, and S. Drummond. 2013. "Social robots helping people with dementia: Assessing efficacy of social robots in the nursing home environment." In 6th International Conference on Human System Interactions (HIS 2013), Jun 6, 2013, Sopot, Poland