Deputy head of school for Media, Creative Arts & Social Inquiry (MCASI)
I have a background in Middle East politics, political violence, and International Relations.
My recent work has focused on state legitimation inside Saudi Arabia, as well as the evolution of the Kingdom's foreign policy under MBS. I also have worked on the Syrian civil war, Chechnya and various other aspects of insurgency, terrorism and CVE during my academic career.
I continue to research Saudi foreign and domestic policy, as well as the broader rise of political extremism in the contemporary era.
- Terrorism, insurgency and political violence
- Contemporary politics of the Middle East
- Great power politics in the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries
- International relations theory and practice
- Ontological security theory
- Saudi politics, foreign relations and defense
I am coordinator for the following units :
- INTR2000 Introduction to International Relations
- INTR2001 A History of Terrorism and Insurgency
- HIST2002 Politics of the Modern Middle East
- POLS5000 Foundations of International Security in the 21st century
In addition, I teach into a variety of other History, IR and Security Studies units
- Rich, B. 2021. "Interview with ANews."
- Rich, B. 2021. "Biden is already carving out a different Middle East policy from Trump — and even Obama." The Conversation.
- Rich, B. 2021. "Political extremism, conflict identities and the search for ontological security in contemporary established democracies." Academia Letters
- Rich, B. 2020. "Interview on 6PR about US assassination of Qasim Sulemeni."
- Rich, B. 2020. "Interview with Sky News UK about Iran/US confrontation."
- Rich, B. 2020. "Political assassinations were once unthinkable. Why the US killing of Soleimani sets a worrying precedent."
- Rich, B. 2020. "Interview on ABC PM: Soleimani’s assassination challenges norms of international order: expert."
- Rich, B. 2020. "Political Assassinations Were Once Unthinkable. Why The US Killing of Soleimani Sets A Worrying Precedent." The Australian Institute of International Affairs.
- Rich, B. 2020. "Geographical Borders." Curtin University: The Future Of.
- Rich, B. 2020. "Riyadh the gamechanger in Middle East politics: Academic."
- Rich, B. 2019. "World News radio, 2MCE Orange."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2019. "Interview on Sky News UK on Jamal Khasshogi."
- Rich, B. 2019. "Interview on the Drum (ABC)."
- Rich, B. 2019. "Traditionalism Through Progress – Absher and the Paradox of Saudi Development." Australian Institute of International Affairs.
- Rich, B. 2019. "The Gulf Tanker Crisis: Iranian Frustrations, US Mismanagement." Australian Outlook NA: 1-4.
- Rich, B.. "From Defense to Offense: Realist Shifts in Saudi Foreign Policy." MIDDLE EAST POLICY 26 (3). Inpress.
- Rich, B. 2019. "Drones are levelling the playing field in the asymmetrical arms race — and superpowers are worried." ABC.
- Rich, B. 2019. "Interview on ABC radio Drive Perth."
- Rich, B. 2019. "How likely is conflict between the US and Iran?." The Conversation.
- Rich, B. 2019. "Iran wants to create chaos in the Middle East. But conflict with the US remains a limited, if worrying, possibility."
- Rich, B. 2019. "Commentary: Desperate Iran’s dangerous game of brinksmanship in the Gulf."
- Rich, B. 2019. "How likely is conflict between Iran and the US (and us)?."
- Rich, B. 2019. "Interview on Sky UK about Northern Syrian Crisis." Sky News UK.
- Rich, B. 2019. "From Defence to Offence: Realist Shifts in Contemporary Saudi Foreign Policy." In Governance, Security, and Asymmetrical Warfare in Central Asia and the Middle East, Australian National University
- Rich, B. 2019. "Interview with ABC on Saudi Politics."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Saudi Arabia: Economic Modernisation and Authoritarian Maintenance."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Capture of Hodeida Unlikely to Hasten End of Tragic Yemen War." The Globe Post.
- Rich, B. E. N., and D. Conduit. 2018. "The Impact of Jihadist Foreign Fighters on Indigenous Secular-Nationalist Causes: Contrasting Chechnya and Syria." In Networked Insurgencies and Foreign Fighters in Eurasia Ratelle, J., and L. Broers., 1-30 Routledge: Routledge.
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Uncertainty, Blunders and Brashness: Saudis Seek Results in 2018."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview with the Wire on Israel and the Iranian nuclear agreement."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview on ABC Focus."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview with ABC the Signal."
- Rich, B. 2018. "Authoritarian Reformism in Saudi Arabia."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview on TBS eFM's "This Morning" English radio program in Seoul, Korea." http://www.podbbang.com/ch/10101:
- Schiller, J. 2018. "Interview on ABC radio Drive Adelaide."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview on ABC Radio Sydney on the Khashoggi assassination."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2018. "Interview with Dr Ben Rich on 2SER the WIRE."
- Rich, B. L. T., and B. MacQueen. 2017. "The Saudi State as an Identity Racketeer." Middle East Critique 26 (2): 105-121.
- Rich, B. 2017. "Strategic forecast: Saudi Arabia."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Strategic forecast: Yemen."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Radio Adelaide interview."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Interview with Sputnik news, UK."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "With Syria missile strikes, Trump turns from non-intervention to waging war." The Conversation.
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "A breakdown of the conflict in Yemen."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Interview: Trump to give speech on Islam in Saudi Arabia."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "Trump’s Middle East tour: Status quo reset." The Lowy Interpreter 1: 1-1.
- Rich, B. 2017. "Interview about Hamza Bin laden."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "This is why Isis attacked Barcelona."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Interview with ABC Drive Adelaide on Women driving in Saudi Arabia."
- Rich, B. 2017. "Why Trump’s decertification of the Iran nuclear deal may prove a costly mistake."
- Rich, B. L. T., and S. Price. 2017. "Dr Ben Rich on US/Iranian Relations."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "Interview on Spirit Drive about terrorist attacks in New York."
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "Princes, power and purges: the Saudi royal family consolidates its rule." The Conversation.
- Rich, B. L. T. 2017. "Saudi Arabian Politics Takes on Machiavellian Nuance." Australian Institute of International Affairs.
- Rich, B. 2017. "King Salman's Wild Ride." The Lowy institute.
- Rich, B. 2016. "Book review: Saudi Arabian Foreign Policy: Conflict and Cooperation." The Lowy Interpreter.
- Conduit, D., and B. L. T. Rich. 2016. "Foreign Fighters, Human Rights and Self-Determination in Syria and Iraq: Decoding the Humanitarian Impact of Foreign Fighters in Practice." International Community Law Review 18 (5): 431-454.
- Rich, B. L. T. 2016. "Could Islamic State’s new threats against Australia show its bark is now worse than its bite?."