Amity Campbell has been employed as an Early Career Research Fellow since July 2009.
In her current role Amity has been involved with a number or research projects. This has included inter-disciplinary research and collaboration between faculties, universities and international collaboration.
- Injury prevention
- Performance optimisation
- Hendry, D., R. Leadbetter, K. McKee, L. Hopper, C. Wild, P. O’sullivan, L. Straker, and A. Campbell. 2020. "An exploration of machine‐learning estimation of ground reaction force from wearable sensor data." Sensors (Switzerland) 20 (3)
- Hendry, D., K. Chai, A. Campbell, L. Hopper, P. O'Sullivan, and L. Straker. 2020. "Development of a Human Activity Recognition System for Ballet Tasks." Sports Medicine - Open 6 (1): 10-10.
- Saraceni, N., P. Kent, L. Ng, A. Campbell, L. Straker, and P. O'Sullivan. 2020. "To flex or not to flex? Is there a relationship between lumbar spine flexion during lifting and low back pain? A systematic review with meta-analysis." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 50 (3): 121-130.
- Duncan, R., C. Wild, L. Ng, D. Hendry, S. Carter, L. Hopper, and A. Campbell. 2020. "Dancers' joint strategies for achieving turnout in low and high friction conditions." Medical Problems of Performing Artists 35 (2): 96-102.
- Wernli, K., P. O'Sullivan, A. Smith, A. Campbell, and P. Kent. 2020. "Movement, posture and low back pain. How do they relate? A replicated single-case design in 12 people with persistent, disabling low back pain." European Journal of Pain (United Kingdom) 24 (9): 1831-1849.
- Wernli, K., J. S. Tan, P. O'Sullivan, A. Smith, A. Campbell, and P. Kent. 2020. "Does Movement Change When Low Back Pain Changes? A Systematic Review." The Journal of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy 50 (12): 664-670.
- Hendry, D., A. Campbell, L. Ng, A. Harwood, and C. Wild. 2019. "The Difference in Lower Limb Landing Kinematics Between Adolescent Dancers and Non-Dancers." Journal of dance medicine & science : official publication of the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science 23 (2): 72-79.
- Kent, P., P. O'Sullivan, A. Smith, T. Haines, A. Campbell, A. H. McGregor, J. Hartvigsen, K. O'Sullivan, A. Vickery, J. P. Caneiro, and 4 more contributors. 2019. "RESTORE-Cognitive functional therapy with or without movement sensor biofeedback versus usual care for chronic, disabling low back pain: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial." BMJ Open 9 (8)
- Hendry, D., L. Straker, A. Campbell, L. Hopper, R. Tunks, and P. O’Sullivan. 2019. "An exploration of pre-professional dancers’ beliefs of the low back and dance-specific low back movements." Medical Problems of Performing Artists 34 (3): 147-153.
- Walmsley, C., W. Xu, C. Ortega-Sanchez, A. Campbell, C. Imms, and C. Elliott. 2019. "Validation of custom wearable sensors to measure angle kinematics: A technical report." Health and Technology September 2019 (September 2019): 1-6.
- Gustafsson, E., P. Coenen, A. Campbell, and L. Straker. 2018. "Texting with touchscreen and keypad phones - A comparison of thumb kinematics, upper limb muscle activity, exertion, discomfort, and performance." Applied Ergonomics 70: 232-239.
- Harwood, A., A. Campbell, D. Hendry, L. Ng, and C. Y. Wild. 2018. "Differences in lower limb biomechanics between ballet dancers and non-dancers during functional landing tasks." Physical Therapy in Sport 32: 180-186.
- Walmsley, C. P., S. A. Williams, T. Grisbrook, C. Elliott, C. Imms, and A. Campbell. 2018. "Measurement of Upper Limb Range of Motion Using Wearable Sensors: A Systematic Review." Sports Medicine - Open 4 (1)
- Howie, E. K., A. C. Campbell, R. A. Abbott, and L. M. Straker. 2017. "Understanding why an active video game intervention did not improve motor skill and physical activity in children with developmental coordination disorder: A quantity or quality issue?." Research in Developmental Disabilities 60: 1-12.
- Howie, E. K., P. Coenen, A. C. Campbell, S. Ranelli, and L. M. Straker. 2017. "Head, trunk and arm posture amplitude and variation, muscle activity, sedentariness and physical activity of 3 to 5 year-old children during tablet computer use compared to television watching and toy play." Applied Ergonomics 65: 41-50.
- Debenham, J. R., W. I. Gibson, M. J. Travers, A. C. Campbell, and G. T. Allison. 2017. "Modulation of stretch-shortening-cycle behavior with eccentric loading of triceps surae: A possible therapeutic mechanism." Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 26 (2): 151-158.
- Coenen, P., A. Campbell, K. Kemp-Smith, P. O'Sullivan, and L. Straker. 2017. "Abdominal bracing during lifting alters trunk muscle activity and body kinematics." Applied Ergonomics 63: 91-98.
- Howie, E. K., A. C. Campbell, and L. M. Straker. 2016. "An active video game intervention does not improve physical activity and sedentary time of children at-risk for developmental coordination disorder: A crossover randomized trial." Child: Care, Health and Development 42 (2): 253-260.
- Campbell, A., L. Straker, D. Whiteside, P. O'Sullivan, B. Elliott, and M. Reid. 2016. "Lumbar mechanics in tennis groundstrokes: Differences in elite adolescent players with and without low back pain." Journal of Applied Biomechanics 32 (1): 32-39.
- Debenham, J., M. Travers, W. Gibson, A. Campbell, and G. Allison. 2016. "Eccentric Fatigue Modulates Stretch-shortening Cycle Effectiveness - A Possible Role in Lower Limb Overuse Injuries." International Journal of Sports Medicine 37 (1): 50-55.
- Debenham, J. R., M. J. Travers, W. Gibson, A. Campbell, and G. T. Allison. 2016. "Achilles tendinopathy alters stretch shortening cycle behaviour during a sub-maximal hopping task." Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 19 (1): 69-73.
- Bayne, H., B. Elliott, A. Campbell, and J. Alderson. 2016. "Lumbar load in adolescent fast bowlers: A prospective injury study." Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 19 (2): 117-122.
- Campbell, A., K. Kemp-Smith, P. O'Sullivan, and L. Straker. 2016. "Abdominal Bracing Increases Ground Reaction Forces and Reduces Knee and Hip Flexion During Landing." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 46 (4): 286-292.
- Straker, L., E. Howie, A. Smith, L. Jensen, J. Piek, and A. Campbell. 2015. "A crossover randomised and controlled trial of the impact of active video games on motor coordination and perceptions of physical ability in children at risk of Developmental Coordination Disorder." Human Movement Science 42: 146-160.
- Ng, L., J. Caneiro, A. Campbell, A. Smith, A. Burnett, and P. O'Sullivan. 2015. "Cognitive functional approach to manage low back pain in male adolescent rowers: a randomised controlled trial." British Journal of Sports Medicine 49: 1125-1131.
- Slater, A. Campbell, A. Smith, and L. Straker. 2015. "Greater lower limb flexion in gymnastic landings is associated with reduced landing force: a repeated measures study." Sports Biomechanics 14 (1): 45-56.
- Ng, L., A. Campbell, A. Burnett, A. Smith, and P. O'Sullivan. 2015. "Spinal Kinematics of Adolescent Male Rowers With Back Pain in Comparison to Matched Controls During Ergometer Rowing." Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 31: 459-468.
- Hendry, D., A. Campbell, L. Ng, T. Grisbrook, and D. Hopper. 2015. "Effect of Mulligan's and Kinesio knee taping on adolescent ballet dancers knee and hip biomechanics during landing." Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports 25 (6): 888-896.
- Howe, A., A. Campbell, L. Ng, T. Hall, and D. Hopper. 2015. "Effects of two different knee tape procedures on lower-limb kinematics and kinetics in recreational runners." Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports 25: 517-524.
- Larke, D., A. Campbell, L. Jensen, and L. Straker. 2015. "Responsiveness of Clinical and Laboratory Measures to Intervention Effects in Children With Developmental Coordination Disorder." Pediatric Physical Therapy 27 (1): 44-51.
- gonsalves, L., A. Campbell, L. Jensen, and L. Straker. 2015. "Children With Developmental Coordination Disorder Play Active Virtual Reality Games Differently Than Children With Typical Development." Physical Therapy 95 (3): 360-368.
- Bufton, A., A. Campbell, E. Howie, and L. Straker. 2014. "A comparison of the upper limb movement kinematics utilized by children playing virtual and real table tennis." Human Movement Science 38: 84-93.
- Straker, L., A. Campbell, S. E. Mathiassen, R. A. Abbott, S. Parry, and P. Davey. 2014. "Capturing the pattern of physical activity and sedentary behavior: exposure variation analysis of accelerometer data." Journal of Physical Activity and Health 11: 614-625.
- West, T., L. Ng, and A. Campbell. 2014. "The effect of ankle bracing on knee kinetics and kinematics during volleyball-specific tasks." Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports 24: 958-963.
- Leo, N., D. Perich, A. Burnett, A. Campbell, and P. O'Sullivan. 2014. "Self-reported prevalence, pain intensity and risk factors of low back pain in adolescent rowers." Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 17: 266-270.
- Ebert, R., A. Campbell, K. Kemp-Smith, and P. O'Sullivan. 2014. "Lumbar spine side bending is reduced in end range extension compared to neutral and end range flexion postures." Manual Therapy 19 (2): 114-118.
- Straker, L., R. Abbott, R. Collins, and A. Campbell. 2014. "Evidence-based guidelines for wise use of electronic games by children." Ergonomics 57 (4): 471-489.
- Campbell, A., P. O'Sullivan, L. Straker, B. Elliott, and M. Reid. 2014. "Back pain in tennis players: A link with lumber serve kinematics and range of motion." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 46 (2): 351-357.
- Crewe, H., A. Campbell, B. Elliott, and J. Alderson. 2013. "Lumbo-pelvic loading during fast bowling in adolescent cricketers: The influence of bowling speed and technique." Journal Of Sports Sciences 31 (10): 1082-1090.
- Caneiro, J. P., L. Ng, A. Burnett, A. Campbell, and P. O'Sullivan. 2013. "Cognitive Functional Therapy for the Management of Low Back Pain in an Adolescent Male Rower: A Case Report." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 43 (8): 542-554.
- Mitchinson, L., A. Campbell, D. Oldmeadow, W. Gibson, and D. Hopper. 2013. "Comparison of upper arm kinematics during a volleyball spike between players with and without a history of shoulder injury." Journal of Applied Biomechanics 29 (2): 155-164.
- Crewe, H., A. Campbell, B. Elliott, and J. Alderson. 2013. "Lumbo-Pelvic Biomechanics and Quadratus Lumborum Asymmetry in Cricket Fast Bowlers." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 45 (4): 778-783.
- Travers, M. J., J. Debenham, W. Gibson, A. Campbell, and G. T. Allison. 2013. "Stability of lower limb minimal perceptible difference in floor height during hopping stretch-shortening cycles." Physiological Measurement 34 (10): 1375-1386.
- Parkinson, S., A. Campbell, W. Dankaerts, A. Burnett, and P. O'Sullivan. 2013. "Upper and lower lumbar segments move differently during sit-to-stand." Manual Therapy 18: 390-394.
- Campbell, A., L. Straker, P. O'Sullivan, B. Elliott, and M. Reid. 2013. "Lumbar loading in the elite adolescent tennis serve: Link to low back pain." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 45 (8): 1562-1568.
- Ng, L., A. Campbell, A. Burnett, and P. O'Sullivan. 2013. "Gender differences in trunk and pelvic kinematics during prolonged ergometer rowing in adolescents." Journal of Applied Biomechanics 29 (2): 180-187.
- Campbell, A., A. Roelofs, P. Davey, and L. Straker. 2013. "Response Time, Pistol Fire Position Variability, and Pistol Draw Success Rates for Hip and Thigh Holsters." Human Factors 55: 425-434.
- Gibson, W., A. Campbell, and G. Allison. 2013. "No evidence hip joint angle modulates intrinsically produced stretch reflex in human hopping." Gait and Posture 38: 1005-1009.
- Crewe, H., A. Campbell, B. Elliott, and J. Alderson. 2013. "Kinetic Sensitivity of a New Lumbo-Pelvic Model to Variation in segment Parameter Input." Journal of Applied Biomechanics 29 (3): 354-359.
- Straker, L. M., and A. Campbell. 2012. "Translation equations to compare ActiGraph GT3X and Actical accelerometers activity counts." BMC Medical Research Methodology 12
- O'Sullivan, K., L. O'Sullivan, A. Campbell, P. O'Sullivan, and W. Dankaerts. 2012. "Towards monitoring lumbo-pelvic posture in real-life situations: Concurrent validity of a novel posture monitor and a traditional laboratory-based motion analysis system." Manual Therapy 17: 77-83.
- Wade, M., A. Campbell, A. Smith, J. Norcott, and P. O'Sullivan. 2012. "Investigation of Spinal Posture Signatures and Ground Reaction Forces During Landing in Elite Female Gymnasts." Journal of Applied Biomechanics 28 (6): 677-686.
- Reid, M. M., A. C. Campbell, and B. C. Elliott. 2012. "Comparison of endpoint data treatment methods for the estimation of kinematics and kinetics near impact during the tennis serve." Journal of Appled Biomechanics 28 (1): 93-98.
- Crewe, H., B. Elliott, G. Couanis, A. Campbell, and J. Alderson. 2012. "The lumbar spine of the young cricket fast bowler: An MRI study." Journal Of Science And Medicine In Sport 15 (3): 190-194.
- Campbell, A. C., A. M. Briggs, P. B. O'Sullivan, A. J. Smith, A. F. Burnett, P. Moss, and L. M. Straker. 2011. "An Exploration of the Relationship Between Back Muscle Endurance and Familial, Physical, Lifestyle, and Psychosocial Factors in Adolescents and Young Adults." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 41 (7): 486-495.
- Coleman, J. L., L. M. Straker, A. Campbell, H. Izumi, and A. Smith. 2011. "Biering-Sorensen test performance of Japanese young males: comparison with other ethnicities and relationship to electromyography, near-infrared spectroscopy and exertion ratings." Ergonomics 54 (7): 636-655.
- Straker, L. M., A. C. Campbell, L. M. Jensen, D. R. Metcalf, A. J. Smith, R. A. Abbott, C. M. Pollock, and J. P. Piek. 2011. "Rationale, design and methods for a randomised and controlled trial of the impact of virtual reality games on motor competence, physical activity, and mental health in children with developmental coordination disorder." BMC Public Health 11: 654-654.
- Zhang, Y., D. G. Lloyd, A. C. Campbell, and J. A. Alderson. 2011. "Can the effect of soft tissue artifact be eliminated in upper-arm internal-external rotation?." Journal Of Applied Biomechanics 27 (3): 258-265.
- Thomas, J., J. Alderson, K. Thomas, A. Campbell, B. Edwards, S. Meardon, and B. Elliott. 2011. "Is There a General Motor Program for Right Versus Left Hand Throwing in Children?." Journal of Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2011 (1)
- Straker, L. M., A. Campbell, J. Coleman, M. Ciccarelli, and W. Dankaerts. 2010. "In vivo laboratory validation of the physiometer: a measurement system for long-term recording of posture and movements in the workplace." Ergonomics 53 (5): 672-684.
- Straker, L., A. Smith, A. Campbell, and P. O'Sullivan. 2010. "Are neck pain and posture related?." Physical Therapy Reviews 15 (2): 115-116.
- Smith, A. J., P. B. O'Sullivan, A. C. Campbell, and L. M. Straker. 2010. "The relationship between back muscle endurance and physical, lifestyle, and psychological factors in adolescents." Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 40 (8): 517-523.
- Thomas, J. R., A. C. Campbell, and B. C. Elliott. 2010. "Developmental Gender Differences for Overhand Throwing in Aboriginal Australian Children." Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 81 (4): 432-441.
- Straker, L., J. Levine, and A. Campbell. 2010. "The Effects of Walking and Cycling Computer Workstations on Keyboard and Mouse Performance." Human Factors 51 (6): 831-844.
- Campbell, A. C., D. G. Lloyd, J. A. Alderson, and B. C. Elliott. 2009. "MRI development and validation of two new predictive methods of glenohumeral joint centre location identification and comparison with established techniques." Journal of Biomechanics 42 (10): 1527-1532.
- Ng, L., A. Burnett, A. Campbell, and P. O'Sullivan. 2009. "Caution : The use of an electromagnetic device to measure trunk kinematics on rowing ergometers." Sports Biomechanics 8 (3): 255-259.
- Campbell, A. C., J. A. Alderson, D. G. Lloyd, and B. C. Elliott. 2009. "Effects of different technical coordinate system definitions on the three dimensional representation of the glenohumeral joint centre." Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing 47 (5 SPEC. ISS.): 543-550.