Adam is a botanist and ecologist with five years experience in various academic positions. Adam received his PhD in Botany from the University of Western Australia (2014), and has since held postdoctoral positions with the University of Western Australia (Research Associate), Kings Park Science (Research Associate) and Curtin University (Research Fellow). He is currently a Research Fellow at the Centre for Mine Site Restoration, based at the School of Molecular and Life Sciences, Curtin University (Perth, Western Australia). Adam has published over 40 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters, as well as two books. He has undertaken fieldwork around the world, from the Tepui highlands of Venezuela and the mountains of Borneo to bogs in North America and mine sites in China, and has spent a decade undertaking research in the remote wilderness of the Kimberley in northern Australia. Adam was a finalist in the 2018 and 2019 Western Australian Premier's Science Awards, showcasing his achievements in science and positive contribution to Western Australia.
Since completing his PhD Adam has worked as a Restoration Ecologist, developing methods to improve the establishment of native plant communities on ecologically challenging materials such as mine tailings. Adam has undertaken site research in collaboration with many of Australia's biggest mining companies, and in particular has been the principal researcher on a restoration research project with Karara Mining Limited for the last five years. His research provides practical, achievable and cost-effective restoration solutions, and is assisting industry to meet and exceed their regulatory closure commitments.
Adam has pursued a love of carnivorous plants since the age of six, and is an internationally-renowned authority on their ecology and conservation. His passion for their preservation has led to involvement in the conservation assessment and listing of over 250 species for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, and he has published two monographs on iconic threatened species (Aldrovanda vesiculosa and Cephalotus follicularis).
In addition to core research themes of restoration ecology and the biology and ecology of carnivorous plants, Adam has strong research interests in seed biology, community ecology and phytosociology, freshwater aquatic ecosystems, and conservation biology.
- Consulting Editor, Plant and Soil (Springer)
- Guest Editor, Drones (MDPI)
- Editor, Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia (RSWA)
- President (incumbent), Project Numbat Inc.
- Committee Member, Cambridge Coastcare Inc.
- Associate Member, Closure Planning Practitioners Association
- Member, Society for Ecological Restoration (Australasian Branch)
- Member, International Network for Seed-based Restoration
- Specialist Assessor and Member, International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission (SSC) Carnivorous Plant Specialist Group
- Member, IUCN SSC Freshwater Plant Specialist Group
- Finalist, Premier's Science Awards - Woodside Western Australian Early Career Researcher of the Year (2019)
- Finalist, Premier's Science Awards - Woodside Western Australian Early Career Researcher of the Year (2018)
- Winner, Fresh Science Western Australia (2018)
- Winner, Perth Zoo Prize for Conservation Research (2014)
Adam has a passion for teaching and coordinates and lectures ENST3002, a third-year restoration ecology unit at Curtin University.
- Wu, S., Y. Liu, G. Southam, L. Robertson, T. H. Chiu, A. T. Cross, K. W. Dixon, J. C. Stevens, H. Zhong, T. S. Chan, and 2 more contributors. 2019. "Geochemical and mineralogical constraints in iron ore tailings limit soil formation for direct phytostabilization." Science of the Total Environment 651: 192-202.
- Saatkamp, A., A. Cochrane, L. Commander, L. Guja, B. Jimenez-Alfaro, J. Larson, A. Nicotra, P. Poschlod, F. A. O. Silveira, A. Cross, and 19 more contributors. 2019. "A research agenda for seed-trait functional ecology." New Phytologist 221 (4): 1764-1775.
- Nevill, P. G., K. A. Howell, A. T. Cross, A. V. Williams, X. Zhong, J. Tonti-Filippini, L. M. Boykin, K. W. Dixon, and I. Small. 2019. "Plastome-wide rearrangements and gene losses in carnivorous droseraceae." Genome Biology and Evolution 11 (2): 472-485.
- Cross, A. T., D. Ivanov, J. C. Stevens, R. Sadler, H. Zhong, H. Lambers, and K. W. Dixon. 2019. "Nitrogen limitation and calcifuge plant strategies constrain the establishment of native vegetation on magnetite mine tailings." Plant and Soi
- Buters, T. M., P. W. Bateman, T. Robinson, D. Belton, K. W. Dixon, and A. T. Cross. 2019. "Methodological ambiguity and inconsistency constrain unmanned aerial vehicles as a silver bullet for monitoring ecological restoration." Remote Sensing 11 (10)
- Carey, N., A. T. Cross, M. D. Barrett, and B. J. Robson. 2019. "Do active-dispersing insects dominate the invertebrate fauna of rock pools in the wet–dry tropics, Kimberley, Australia?." Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 29 (8): 1175-1189.
- Nevill, P., A. Cross, K. Dixon, and J. Aronson. 2019. "Time for a paradigm shift toward a restorative culture." Restoration Ecology TBA: TBA-TBA.
- Skates, L. M., M. Paniw, A. T. Cross, F. Ojeda, K. W. Dixon, J. C. Stevens, and G. Gebauer. 2019. "An ecological perspective on 'plant carnivory beyond bogs': nutritional benefits of prey capture for the Mediterranean carnivorous plant Drosophyllum lusitanicum." Annals of botany 124 (1): 65-76.
- Cross, A. T., R. Young, P. Nevill, T. McDonald, K. Prach, J. Aronson, G. W. Wardell-Johnson, and K. W. Dixon. 2018. "Appropriate aspirations for effective post-mining restoration and rehabilitation: a response to KaÅºmierczak et al." Environmental Earth Sciences 77 (6)
- Robinson, A. S., A. T. Cross, M. E. Meisterl, and A. Fleischmann. 2018. "A new pygmy sundew, Drosera Albonotata (droseraceae), from the western wheatbelt and an updated diagnostic key to the orange-flowered pygmy Drosera of Western Australia." Phytotaxa 346 (3): 221-236.
- Cross, A. T., A. R. Davis, A. Fleischmann, J. D. Horner, A. Jürgens, D. J. Merritt, G. L. Murza, and S. R. Turner. 2018. "Reproductive biology and pollinator-prey conflicts." In Carnivorous Plants: Physiology, Ecology, and Evolution, 294-313
- Cross, A. T., M. Paniw, A. V. Scatigna, N. Kalfas, B. Anderson, T. J. Givnish, and A. Fleischmann. 2018. "Systematics and evolution of small genera of carnivorous plants." In Carnivorous Plants: Physiology, Ecology, and Evolution, 120-134
- Clarke, C., A. Cross, and B. Rice. 2018. "Conservation of carnivorous plants." In Carnivorous Plants: Physiology, Ecology, and Evolution, 375-388
- Fleischmann, A., A. T. Cross, R. Gibson, P. M. Gonella, and K. W. Dixon. 2018. "Systematics and evolution of droseraceae." In Carnivorous Plants: Physiology, Ecology, and Evolutio
- Cross, A. T., M. D. Barrett, S. R. Turner, K. W. Dixon, and D. J. Merritt. 2018. "Seed-dormancy depth is partitioned more strongly among habitats than among species in tropical ephemerals." Australian Journal of Botany 66 (3): 230-242.
- Cross, A. T., and P. W. Bateman. 2018. "How dangerous is a Drosera? Limb autotomy increases passive predation risk in crickets." Journal of Zoology 306 (4): 217-222.
- Bradshaw, S. D., K. W. DIxon, H. Lambers, A. T. Cross, J. Bailey, and S. D. Hopper. 2018. "Understanding the long-term impact of prescribed burning in mediterranean-climate biodiversity hotspots, with a focus on south-Western Australia." International Journal of Wildland Fire 27 (10): 643-657.
- Pedrini, S., K. Bhalsing, A. T. Cross, and K. W. Dixon. 2018. "Protocol Development Tool (PDT) for seed encrusting and pelleting." SEED SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 46 (2): 393-405.
- Cross, A. T., J. C. Stevens, R. Sadler, B. Moreira-Grez, D. Ivanov, H. Zhong, K. W. Dixon, and H. Lambers. 2018. "Compromised root development constrains the establishment potential of native plants in unamended alkaline post-mining substrates." Plant and Soi
- Cross, A. T., M. Paniw, F. Ojeda, S. R. Turner, K. W. Dixon, and D. J. Merritt. 2017. "Defining the role of fire in alleviating seed dormancy in a rare Mediterranean endemic subshrub." AoB PLANTS 9 (5)
- Cross, A. T., and H. Lambers. 2017. "Young calcareous soil chronosequences as a model for ecological restoration on alkaline mine tailings." SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT 607-608: 168-175.
- Cross, A. T., J. C. Stevens, and K. W. Dixon. 2017. "One giant leap for mankind: can ecopoiesis avert mine tailings disasters?." Plant and Soil 421: 1-5.
- Kumaresan, D., A. Cross, B. Moreira-Grez, K. Kariman, P. Nevill, J. Stevens, R. J. N. Allcock, A. G. O'Donnell, K. W. Dixon, and A. S. Whiteley. 2017. "Microbial Functional Capacity Is Preserved Within Engineered Soil Formulations Used In Mine Site Restoration." Scientific Reports 7 (1)
- Cross, A. T., L. Adamec, S. R. Turner, K. W. Dixon, and D. J. Merritt. 2016. "Seed reproductive biology of the rare aquatic carnivorous plant Aldrovanda vesiculosa (Droseraceae)." Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 180: 515-529.
- Cross, A. T., C. Myers, C. N. A. Mitchell, S. L. Cross, C. Jackson, R. Waina, L. Mucina, K. W. Dixon, and A. N. Andersen. 2016. "Ant biodiversity and its environmental predictors in the North Kimberley region of Australia’s seasonal tropics." Biodiversity and Conservation 25: 1727-1759.
- Cross, S. L., A. T. Cross, D. J. Merritt, K. W. Dixon, and A. N. Andersen. 2016. "Biodiversity responses to vegetation structure in a fragmented landscape: ant communities in a peri-urban coastal dune system." Journal of Insect Conservation 20 (3): 485-495.
- Cross, A., S. Turner, M. Renton, J. Baskin, K. Dixon, and D. Merritt. 2015. "Seed dormancy and persistent sediment seed banks of ephemeral freshwater rock pools in the Australian monsoon tropics." Annals of Botany 115: 847-859.
- Cross, A. T., L. M. Skates, L. Adamec, C. M. Hammond, P. M. Sheridan, and K. W. Dixon. 2015. "Population ecology of the endangered aquatic carnivorous macrophyte Aldrovanda vesiculosa at a naturalised site in North America." Freshwater Biology 60 (9): 1772-1783.
- Cross, A. T., S. R. Turner, D. J. Merritt, A. Van Niekerk, M. Renton, K. W. Dixon, and L. Mucina. 2015. "Vegetation patterns and hydro-geological drivers of freshwater rock pool communities in the monsoon-tropical Kimberley region, Western Australia." Journal of Vegetation Science 26 (6): 1184-1197.
- Cross, A. T., G. R. Cawthray, D. J. Merritt, S. R. Turner, M. Renton, and K. W. Dixon. 2014. "Biogenic ethylene promotes seedling emergence from the sediment seed bank in an ephemeral tropical rock pool habitat." Plant and Soil 380 (1): 73-87.
- Cross, A. T., D. J. Merritt, S. R. Turner, and K. W. Dixon. 2013. "Seed germination of the carnivorous plant Byblis gigantea (Byblidaceae) is cued by warm stratification and karrikinolide." Botanical Journal Of The Linnean Society 173 (1): 143-152.