Sharyn is the Director of Health Promotion and Sexology and a Co-Director of the Western Australian Centre for Health Promotion Research within the School of Public Health. She writes and teaches a range of undergraduate and postgraduate health promotion units and supervises Masters and PhD students. Sharyn's research focuses on mental health promotion and prevention and obesity prevention with a particular emphasis on children, youth and parents. Current research includes intervention based research focusing on bullying prevention in schools, promoting physical activity and nutrition for mothers with young children, encouraging fathers to support breastfeeding and evaluating peer-based programs.
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Master Public Health,
- Post Graduate Diploma Health Promotion,
- Bachelor of Education,
- Diploma of Teaching (Physical and Health Education)
Sharyn has worked at Curtin since 2000. During this time she has written and taught a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate units, has supervised numerous Masters students and has been involved with a range of research programs and health promotion consultancies. Prior to working at Curtin University Sharyn worked for the Department of Health in regional Western Australia in the areas of HIV/STI prevention, women’s cancer prevention, school health promotion and alcohol and other drugs. She managed a number of local and Statewide school and community based programs and mass media campaigns. Sharyn was also employed with the School Drug Education Program. Prior to commencing work in the health promotion field Sharyn was employed as a Physical and Health Education teacher in Western Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Sharyn’s research activities have focused on intervention based research. Currently she is a CI for the Father’s Infant Breastfeeding Initiative (FIFI) and the Mothers of Young Children project (Nutrition and physical activity intervention for mothers with young children). Her research has also focused on the school setting (bullying prevention) and peer settings. Her intervention based research provides strong expertise in working within different settings (hospitals, playgroups, schools and youth groups) and includes a strong focus on parents and children. Sharyn’s research activities focus on the priority areas of mental health promotion (National Mental Health Strategy) and obesity prevention (National Obesity Prevention Strategy).
- Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award, Curtin University 2005
- Innovative Teaching Award, Curtin University 2000
- Heslop, C. W., S. Burns, and R. Lobo. 2020. "Stakeholder perceptions of relationships and sexuality education, backlash and health services in a rural town." Sex Education 20 (2): 170-185.
- Selvey, L. A., F. Roux, and S. Burns. 2020. "Potential process improvements to increase coverage of human papillomavirus vaccine in schools – A focus on schools with low vaccine uptake." Vaccine 38 (14): 2971-2977.
- Crawford, G., and S. Burns. 2020. "Confidence and motivation to help those with a mental health problem: Experiences from a study of nursing students completing mental health first aid (MHFA) training." BMC Medical Education 20 (1)
- Wold, C., J. Hallett, G. Crawford, H. J. Chih, S. Burns, and J. M. Jancey. 2020. "University Student Health and Wellbeing Study: A test-retest reliability study of a web-based survey investigating undergraduate student health and wellbeing." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Tanudjaja, S. A., H. J. Chih, S. Burns, G. Crawford, J. Hallett, and J. Jancey. 2020. "Alcohol consumption and associated harms among university students in Australia: Findings from a cross-sectional study." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Burns, S., M. Evans, J. Jancey, L. Portsmouth, and B. Maycock. 2020. "Influences of club connectedness among young adults in Western Australian community-based sports clubs." BMC Public Health 20 (1)
- Bennett, L., and S. Burns. 2020. "Implementing health-promoting schools to prevent obesity." Health Education 120 (2): 197-216.
- Jancey, J., S. Burns, J. Hendriks, C. M. Pollard, J. Tohatoa, and J. Hallett. 2020. "Measuring health promotion research impact – What researchers think?." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Burns, S., L. Selvey, and F. Roux. 2020. "Influences to HPV completion via a school-based immunisation program." Sex Education: 1-16.
- Whitehorne-Smith, P., S. Burns, B. Milbourn, W. Abel, and R. Martin. 2020. "Cross-sectional mixed-methods study protocol exploring the enablers and barriers for people with severe and enduring mental illness in Jamaica when accessing healthcare for chronic physical illness." BMJ open 10 (8)
- Passmore, H. M., R. C. Mutch, R. Watkins, S. Burns, G. Hall, J. Urquhart, J. Carapetis, and C. Bower. 2020. "Reframe the Behaviour: Evaluation of a training intervention to increase capacity in managing detained youth with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and neurodevelopmental impairments." Psychiatry, Psychology and Law
- Swaney, S. E., and S. Burns. 2019. "Exploring reasons for vaccine-hesitancy among higher-SES parents in Perth, Western Australia." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 30 (2): 143-152.
- Kuliukas, L., Y. Hauck, A. Jorgensen, K. Kneebone, S. Burns, B. Maycock, and J. A. Scott. 2019. "Process evaluation of a peer-led antenatal breastfeeding class for fathers: perceptions of facilitators and participants." BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 19 (1): 48-48.
- Heslop, C. W., S. Burns, and R. Lobo. 2019. "‘Everyone knows everyone’: youth perceptions of relationships and sexuality education, condom access and health services in a rural town." Sex Education 19 (6): 644-660.
- Burns, S. K., J. Hendriks, L. Mayberry, S. Duncan, R. Lobo, and L. Pelliccione. 2019. "Evaluation of the implementation of a relationship and sexuality education project in Western Australian schools: Protocol of a multiple, embedded case study." BMJ Open 9 (2)
- Nelson, H. J., S. K. Burns, G. E. Kendall, and K. A. Schonert-Reichl. 2019. "Preadolescent children's perception of power imbalance in bullying: A thematic analysis." PLoS ONE 14 (3)
- Roux, F., S. Burns, H. J. Chih, and J. Hendriks. 2019. "Developing and trialling a school-based ovulatory-menstrual health literacy programme for adolescent girls: A quasi-experimental mixed-method protocol." BMJ Open 9 (3)
- Nelson, H. J., G. E. Kendall, S. K. Burns, K. A. Schonert-Reichl, and R. T. Kane. 2019. "Measuring 8 to 12 year old children's self-report of power imbalance in relation to bullying: Development of the Scale of Perceived Power Imbalance." BMC Public Health 19 (1)
- White, B., R. Giglia, J. White, S. Dhaliwal, S. Burns, and J. Scott. 2019. "Gamifying breastfeeding for fathers: Process evaluation of the Milk Man mobile app." JMIR Pediatrics and Parenting 2 (1): e12157-e12157.
- McCluskey, A., G. Kendall, and S. Burns. 2019. "Students’, parents’ and teachers’ views about the resources required by school nurses in Perth, Western Australia." Journal of Research in Nursing 24 (7): 515-526.
- Rodgers, G., S. Burns, and G. Crawford. 2019. "“I was able to actually do something useful”: evaluating the experiences of university students after completing Mental Health First Aid: a mixed-methods study." Advances in Mental Health
- Burns, S., and J. Hendriks. 2018. "Sexuality and relationship education training to primary and secondary school teachers: an evaluation of provision in Western Australia." Sex Education 18 (6): 672-688.
- Passmore, H. M., R. C. Mutch, S. Burns, R. Watkins, J. Carapetis, G. Hall, and C. Bower. 2018. "Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD): Knowledge, attitudes, experiences and practices of the Western Australian youth custodial workforce." International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 59: 44-52.
- White, B. K., R. C. Giglia, J. A. Scott, and S. K. Burns. 2018. "How new and expecting fathers engage with an app-based online forum: Qualitative analysis." JMIR mHealth and uHealth 6 (6)
- Nelson, H. J., S. K. Burns, G. E. Kendall, and K. A. Schonert-Reichl. 2018. "The Factors That Influence and Protect Against Power Imbalance in Covert Bullying Among Preadolescent Children at School: A Thematic Analysis." Journal of School Nursing 34 (4): 281-291.
- Runions, K. C., C. Salmivalli, T. Shaw, S. Burns, and D. Cross. 2018. "Beyond the reactive-proactive dichotomy: Rage, revenge, reward, and recreational aggression predict early high school bully and bully/victim status." Aggressive Behavior 44 (5): 501-511.
- Burns, S. K., B. Maycock, J. Hildebrand, Y. Zhao, S. Allsop, R. Lobo, and P. Howat. 2018. "Development and testing of the Youth Alcohol Norms Survey (YANS) instrument to measure youth alcohol norms and psychosocial influences." BMJ Open 8 (5)
- Cross, D., T. Shaw, M. Epstein, N. Pearce, A. Barnes, S. Burns, S. Waters, L. Lester, and K. Runions. 2018. "Impact of the Friendly Schools whole-school intervention on transition to secondary school and adolescent bullying behaviour." European Journal of Education 53 (4): 495-513.
- Heslop, C., S. Burns, and R. Lobo. 2018. "Managing qualitative research as insider-research in small rural communities." Rural and Remote Health 18 (3)
- Burns, S., G. Crawford, J. Hallett, K. Hunt, H. J. Chih, and P. J. M. Tilley. 2017. "What's wrong with John? a randomised controlled trial of Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training with nursing students." BMC PSYCHIATRY 17: 1-12.
- Nelson, H. J., G. E. Kendall, S. K. Burns, and K. A. Schonert-Reichl. 2017. "A Scoping Review of Self-Report Measures of Aggression and Bullying for Use With Preadolescent Children." Journal of School Nursing 33 (1): 53-63.
- Heslop, C. W., S. Burns, R. Lobo, and R. McConigley. 2017. "Developing a framework for community-based sexual health interventions for youth in the rural setting: Protocol for a participatory action research study." BMJ Open 7 (5): 1-8.
- Tembo, C., S. Burns, and F. Kalembo. 2017. "The association between levels of alcohol consumption and mental health problems and academic performance among young university students." Plos ONE 12 (6)
- White, B. K., S. K. Burns, R. C. Giglia, and J. A. Scott. 2016. "Designing evaluation plans for health promotion mHealth interventions: a case study of the Milk Man mobile app." Health Promot J Austr 27: 198-203.
- Burns, S., J. Jancey, G. Crawford, J. Hallett, L. Portsmouth, and J. Longo. 2016. "A cross sectional evaluation of an alcohol intervention targeting young university students." BMC Public Health 16 (1): 610-610.
- Burns, S., E. Hart, J. Jancey, J. Hallett, G. Crawford, and L. Portsmouth. 2016. "A cross sectional evaluation of a total smoking ban at a large Australian university." BMC Research Notes 9
- Hart, E., and S. Burns. 2016. "The relationship between alcohol consumption and related harm among young university students." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 27 (1): 15-20.
- White, B. K., A. Martin, J. A. White, S. K. Burns, B. R. Maycock, R. C. Giglia, and J. A. Scott. 2016. "Theory-Based Design and Development of a Socially Connected, Gamified Mobile App for Men About Breastfeeding (Milk Man)." JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 4 (2): 0-0.
- Maycock, B., J. A. Scott, Y. L. Hauck, S. Burns, S. Robinson, R. Giglia, A. Jorgensen, B. White, A. Harries, S. Dhaliwal, and 2 more contributors. 2015. "A study to prolong breastfeeding duration: design and rationale of the Parent Infant Feeding Initiative (PIFI) randomised controlled trial." BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 15 (1): 1-8.
- Hildebrand, J., B. Maycock, J. Comfort, S. Burns, E. Adams, and P. Howat. 2015. "Ethical considerations in investigating youth alcohol norms and behaviours: A case for mature minor consent." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 26 (3): 241-245.
- Burns, S. 2015. "Sexual health, alcohol and the university environment: Is there a need for sexual health promotion intervention?." Sexual Health 12 (3): 269-271.
- Hildebrand, J., S. Burns, Y. Zhao, R. Lobo, P. Howat, S. Allsop, and B. Maycock. 2015. "Potential and challenges in collecting social and behavioral data on adolescent alcohol norms: Comparing respondent-driven sampling and web-based respondent-driven sampling." Journal of Medical Internet Research 17 (12): 1-15.
- Nelson, H., G. E. Kendall, S. Burns, and K. Schonert-Reichl. 2015. "Protocol for the design of an instrument to measure preadolescent children's self-report of covert aggression and bullying." BMJ Open 5 (11): e009084-e009084.
- Crawford, G., S. Burns, H. Chih, K. Hunt, P. Tilley, J. Hallett, K. Coleman, and S. Smith. 2015. "Mental health first aid training for nursing students: a protocol for a pragmatic randomised controlled trial in a large university." BMC Psychiatry 15 (26): 1-8.
- Burns, S., G. Crawford, J. Hallett, J. Jancey, L. Portsmouth, K. Hunt, and J. Longo. 2015. "Consequences of Low Risk and Hazardous Alcohol Consumption among University Students in Australia and Implications for Health Promotion Interventions." Open Journal of Preventive Medicine 5 (1): 1-13.
- Lobo, R. C., J. Hendriks, L. Mayberry, S. Burns, and L. pelliccione. 2015. "Engaging, Practical And Empowering: Sexuality And Relationships Education At Curtin University, Australia That Supports Pre-service Teachers." The Journal of Sexual Medicine 12: 338-338.
- Hendriks, J., S. Fyfe, D. A. Doherty, I. Styles, A. Jacques, S. Burns, M. Hickey, and S. R. Skinner. 2015. "Importance of adolescents' attitudes towards contraception, early parenthood and abortion."
- Lobo, R., M. Petrich, and S. K. Burns. 2014. "Supporting health promotion practitioners to undertake evaluation for program development." BMC Public Health 15
- Jancey, J. M., S. M. D. R. Monteiro, S. S. Dhaliwal, P. A. Howat, S. Burns, A. P. Hills, and A. S. Anderson. 2014. "Dietary outcomes of a community based intervention for mothers of young children: a randomised controlled trial." International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 11 (1)
- Jancey, J., N. Bowser, S. Burns, G. Crawford, L. Portsmouth, and J. Smith. 2014. "No Smoking Here: Examining Reasons for Noncompliance With a Smoke-Free Policy in a Large University." Nicotine & Tobacco Research 16 (7): 976-983.
- Monteiro, S. M. D. R., J. Jancey, S. S. Dhaliwal, P. A. Howat, S. Burns, A. P. Hills, and A. S. Anderson. 2014. "Results of a randomized controlled trial to promote physical activity behaviours in mothers with young children." Preventive Medicine 59: 12-18.
- Burns, S., N. Bowser, J. Smith, J. Jancey, and G. Crawford. 2014. "An exploratory study of smokers' and stakeholders' expectations of the implementation of a smoke-free policy in a university setting." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 25 (2): 129-135.
- Maycock, B., C. W. Binns, S. Dhaliwal, J. Tohotoa, Y. Hauck, S. Burns, and P. Howat. 2013. "Education and Support for Fathers Improves Breastfeeding Rates: A Randomised Controlled Trial." Journal of Human Lactation 29: 484-490.
- Hildebrand, J., B. Maycock, P. Howat, S. Burns, S. Allsop, S. Dhaliwal, and R. Lobo. 2013. "Investigation of Alcohol-Related Social Norms Among Youth Aged 14-17 Years in Perth, Western Australia: Protocol for a Respondent-Driven Sampling Study." BMJ Open 3
- Burns, S., J. Jancey, N. Bowser, J. Comfort, G. Crawford, J. Hallett, B. Shields, and L. Portsmouth. 2013. "Moving forward: a cross sectional baseline study of staff and student attitudes towards a totally smoke free university campus." BMC Public Health 13
- Jancey, J., and S. Burns. 2013. "Institutional factors and the postgraduate student experience." Quality Assurance in Education 21 (3): 311-322.
- Hildebrand, J., B. Maycock, S. Burns, Y. Zhao, S. Allsop, P. Howat, and R. Lobo. 2013. "Design of an Instrument to Measure Alcohol-Related Psychosocial Influences in the Development of Norms Among 13-Year-Old to 17-Year-Old Adolescents." BMJ Open 3
- Jones, C., J. Jancey, P. Howat, S. Dhaliwal, S. Burns, A. McManus, A. P. Hills, and A. S. Anderson. 2013. "Utility of stages of change construct in the planning of physical activity interventions among Playgroup mothers BMC Public Health." BMC Research Notes 6 (300)
- Cross, D., S. Waters, N. Pearce, T. Shaw, M. Hall, E. Erceg, S. Burns, C. Roberts, and G. Hamilton. 2012. "The Friendly Schools Friendly Families programme: Three-year bullying behaviour outcomes in primary school children." International Journal of Educational Research 53: 394-406.
- Tohotoa, J., B. Maycock, Y. L. Hauck, S. Dhaliwal, P. Howat, S. Burns, and C. W. Binns. 2012. "Can father inclusive practice reduce paternal postnatal anxiety? A repeated measures cohort study using the hospital anxiety and depression scale." BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 12
- Tohotoa, J., B. Maycock, Y. Hauck, P. Howat, S. Burns, and C. Binns. 2011. "Supporting mothers to breastfeed: the development and process evaluation of a father inclusive perinatal education support program in Perth, Western Australia." Health Promotion International 26 (3): 351-361.
- Monteiro, S. M. D. R., J. Jancey, P. Howat, S. Burns, C. Jones, S. S. Dhaliwal, A. McManus, A. P. Hills, and A. S. Anderson. 2011. "The protocol of a randomized controlled trial for playgroup mothers: Reminder on Food, Relaxation, Exercise, and Support for Health (REFRESH) Program." BMC Public Health 11 (648)
- Burns, S., D. Cross, and B. Maycock. 2010. "'That Could Be Me Squishing Chips on Someone's Car.' How Friends Can Positively Influence Bullying Behaviors." The Journal of Primary Prevention 31 (4): 209-222.
- Hallett, J., R. Lobo, G. Brown, J. Hildebrand, A. McManus, B. Maycock, and S. Burns.. "My-Peer Toolkit 1.0: Guidelines for planning, implementing and evaluating peer-based youth programs." Perth: WA Centre for Health Promotion Research, Curtin University. Inpress.
- Jones, C., S. Burns, P. Howat, J. Jancey, A. McManus, and O. Carter. 2010. "Playgroups as a setting for nutrition and physical activity interventions for mothers with young children: exploratory qualitative findings." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 21 (2): 92-98.
- Monteiro, G., J. Jancey, P. Howat, S. Burns, A. McManus, and C. Jones. 2010. "A healthy lifestyle program for mothers with young children." Perth, Australia: Western Australian Centre for Health Promotion Research & Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer Control, Curtin Health Innovation Institute, Curtin University.
- Burns, S., and L. Portsmouth. 2010. "Health Promotion." In Health Psychology and Behaviour in Australia, 457-486 Sydney: McGraw Hill.
- Tohotoa, J., B. Maycock, Y. L. Hauck, P. Howat, S. Burns, and C. W. Binns. 2009. "Dads make a difference: an exploratory study of paternal support for breastfeeding in Perth, Western Australia." International Breastfeeding Journal 4 (15)
- Howat, P., G. Brown, S. Burns, and A. McManus. 2009. "Project Planning Using the Precede-Proceed Model." In Population Health, Communities and Health Promotion, 134-158 Victoria, Australia: Oxford University Press.
- Burns, S., D. Cross, H. Alfonso, and B. Maycock. 2008. "Predictors of Bullying among 10 to 11 Year Old School Students in Australia." Advances in School Mental Health Promotion 1: 49-60.
- Burns, S., B. Maycock, D. Cross, and G. Brown. 2008. "The power of peers: why some students bully others to conform." Qualitative Health Research 18 (12): 1704-1706.
- Burns, S., B. Maycock, D. Cross, and G. Brown. 2008. "'Woodpushers are gay': The role of Provocation in Bullying." International Journal of Mental Health Promotion 10: 40-49.
- Howat, P., G. Brown, S. Burns, and A. McManus. 2008. "Project Planning, using the Precede Proceed Model." In Population Health Communities and Health Promotion, 135-158 Australia: Oxford University Press.
- Joyce, A. W., T. Pauli-Myler, S. Burns, P. Howatl, and B. Maycockl. 2008. "Adolescent Mental Health Promotion: Could it be Assisted by Considering the Functions of Depression in Young People." International Journal of Mental Health Promotion 10: 16-22.
- Trajanovska, M., S. Burns, and L. Johnston. 2007. "A retrospective study of breastfeeding outcomes in an Australian neonatal intensive care unit." Journal of Neonatal Nursing 13 (4): 150-154.
- Brown, G., R. Lobo, B. Maycock, and S. Burns. 2007. "A framework for defining the role of peer-based approaches in mental health promotion." International Journal of Mental Health Promotion 9 (3): 27-34.
- McManus, A., S. K. Burns, P. A. Howat, L. Cooper, and L. Fielder. 2007. "Factors influencing the consumption of seafood among young children in Perth: a qualitative study." BMC Public Health 7
- Brown, G., B. Maycock, and S. Burns. 2005. "Your picture is your bait: use and meaning of cyberspace among gay men." Journal of Sex Research 42 (1): 63-73.
- McManus, A., J. Collins, and S. Burns. 2004. "Practice of Public Health." Perth: Curtin University of Technology.
- Maycock, B., L. jackson, P. Howat, S. Burns, and J. Collins. 2004. "Orienting health promotion course structure to maximise competency development." In 13th Annual Teaching and Learning Forum, Feb 9, 2004, Perth: Murdoch University.
- Howat, P., B. Maycock, D. Cross, J. Collins, L. Jackson, S. Burns, and R. James. 2003. "Towards a more unified definition of health promotion." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 14 (2): 82-85.
- Howat, P., B. Maycock, D. Cross, J. Collins, L. Jackson, S. Burns, and R. James.. "Health promotion, the new public health and population health - are they coterminous?." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 14(3) Inpress.
- Curless, M., and S. Burns. 2003. "A survey of health promotion at international schools." Journal of School Health 73 (4): 133-137.
- Cross, D., M. Stevenson, M. Hall, S. Burns, D. Laughlin, J. Officer, and P. Howat. 2000. "Child pedestrian injury prevention project: Student results." Preventive Medicine 30 (3): 179-187.