A/Prof Nigel Marks is a material scientist with a long standing interest in atomistic computer simulation. He received his PhD in 1997 at The University of Sydney and worked at the Australian Nuclear Science Technology Organisation and the Queen's University of Belfast before returning to Sydney University on an ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship. After five years as a teaching and research academic, he moved to Curtin in 2008 to develop a program in nuclear materials simulation. In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Future Fellowship on nanodiamond synthesis from carbon onions. His other research interests include self-assembly in carbon, radiation damage in solids, semiconductor nanostructures and chemical effects due to beta-decay.
- 2012-2016: ARC Future Fellow, Curtin University
- 2008-2012: Targeted Research Fellow, Curtin University
- 2003-2008: Lecturer & Senior Lecturer, The University of Sydney
- 1999-2002: ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The University of Sydney
- 1997-99: Postdoctoral Researcher, Queen's University of Belfast.
- 1996-97: Reactor Scientist/Engineer, Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation
- Carbon Phases: nanodiamond, amorphous carbon, self-assembly of carbon onions & nanotubes, interatomic potentials
- Nuclear Materials: radiation damage, radioactive waste, chemical evolution through transmutation, biological effects of beta-decay
- Semiconductor Nanostructures: phosphine on Si(001), quantum computer fabrication, delta-layers
- Solid State Physics 302
- Oversight of the Materials Physics Stream
- Member of the Physics Teaching Committee
- Regan, B., A. Aghajamali, J. Froech, T. T. Tran, J. Scott, J. Bishop, I. Suarez-Martinez, Y. Liu, J. M. Cairney, N. A. Marks, and 2 more contributors. 2020. "Plastic Deformation of Single-Crystal Diamond Nanopillars." Advanced Materials 32 (9)
- Lim, D. J., N. A. Marks, and M. R. Rowles. 2020. "Universal Scherrer equation for graphene fragments." Carbon 162: 475-480.
- Huang, X., T. B. Shiell, C. De Tomas, I. Suarez-Martinez, S. Wong, S. Mann, D. R. Mckenzie, N. A. Marks, D. G. Mcculloch, and J. E. Bradby. 2020. "The mechanical response of glassy carbon recovered from high pressure." Journal of Applied Physics 127 (14)
- Tsai, A., A. Aghajamali, N. Dontschuk, B. C. Johnson, M. Usman, A. K. Schenk, M. Sear, C. I. Pakes, L. C. L. Hollenberg, J. C. McCallum, and 4 more contributors. 2020. "Epitaxial Formation of SiC on (100) Diamond." ACS Applied Electronic Materials 2 (7): 2003-2009.
- Fujisawa, K., Y. Lei, C. de Tomas, I. Suarez-Martinez, C. Zhou, Y. C. Lin, S. Subramanian, A. L. Elías, M. Fujishige, K. Takeuchi, and 4 more contributors. 2019. "Facile 1D graphene fiber synthesis from an agricultural by-product: A silicon-mediated graphenization route." Carbon 142: 78-88.
- Shiell, T. B., C. De Tomas, D. G. McCulloch, D. R. McKenzie, A. Basu, I. Suarez-Martinez, N. A. Marks, R. Boehler, B. Haberl, and J. E. Bradby. 2019. "In situ analysis of the structural transformation of glassy carbon under compression at room temperature." Physical Review B 99 (2)
- Ironside, C. N., W. D. A. Rickard, C. Dekker-Zangari, C. Gray, E. McGlynn, and N. A. Marks. 2019. "Hot probe measurements on neutron irradiated, isotope enriched ZnO nanorods." AIP Advances 9 (3)
- Ji, Y., P. M. Kowalski, P. Kegler, N. Huittinen, N. A. Marks, V. L. Vinograd, Y. Arinicheva, S. Neumeier, and D. Bosbach. 2019. "Rare-earth orthophosphates from atomistic simulations." Frontiers in Chemistry 7 (APR)
- Ji, Y., N. A. Marks, D. Bosbach, and P. M. Kowalski. 2019. "Elastic and thermal parameters of lanthanide-orthophosphate (LnPO4) ceramics from atomistic simulations." Journal of the European Ceramic Society 39 (14): 4264-4274.
- Fogg, J. L., A. Aghajamali, J. A. Hinks, S. E. Donnelly, A. A. Shiryaev, and N. A. Marks. 2019. "Modification of nanodiamonds by xenon implantation: A molecular dynamics study." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 453: 32-40.
- Vimalanathan, K., I. Suarez-Martinez, M. C. R. Peiris, J. Antonio, C. De Tomas, Y. Zou, J. Zou, X. Duan, R. N. Lamb, D. P. Harvey, and 5 more contributors. 2019. "Vortex fluidic mediated transformation of graphite into highly conducting graphene scrolls." Nanoscale Advances 1 (7): 2495-2501.
- de Tomas, C., A. Aghajamali, J. L. Jones, D. J. Lim, M. J. López, I. Suarez-Martinez, and N. A. Marks. 2019. "Transferability in interatomic potentials for carbon." Carbon 155: 624-634.
- Martin, J. W., C. De Tomas, I. Suarez-Martinez, M. Kraft, and N. A. Marks. 2019. "Topology of disordered 3D graphene networks." Physical Review Letters 123 (11)
- Putman, K. J., M. V. Sofianos, M. R. Rowles, P. J. F. Harris, C. E. Buckley, N. A. Marks, and I. Suarez-Martinez. 2018. "Pulsed thermal treatment of carbon up to 3000 °C using an atomic absorption spectrometer." Carbon 135: 157-163.
- Shiell, T. B., D. G. McCulloch, D. R. McKenzie, M. R. Field, B. Haberl, R. Boehler, B. A. Cook, C. De Tomas, I. Suarez-Martinez, N. A. Marks, and 1 more contributors. 2018. "Graphitization of Glassy Carbon after Compression at Room Temperature." Physical Review Letters 120 (21)
- Aghajamali, A., C. de Tomas, I. Suarez-Martinez, and N. A. Marks. 2018. "Unphysical nucleation of diamond in the extended cutoff Tersoff potential." Molecular Simulation 44 (2): 164-171.
- Shiryaev, A. A., J. A. Hinks, N. A. Marks, G. Greaves, F. J. Valencia, S. E. Donnelly, R. I. González, M. Kiwi, A. L. Trigub, E. M. Bringa, and 2 more contributors. 2018. "Ion implantation in nanodiamonds: Size effect and energy dependence." Scientific Reports 8 (1)
- De Tomas, C., I. Suarez-Martinez, and N. A. Marks. 2018. "Carbide-derived carbons for dense and tunable 3D graphene networks." Applied Physics Letters 112 (25)
- Vuković, F., J. M. Leyssale, P. Aurel, and N. A. Marks. 2018. "Evolution of Threshold Displacement Energy in Irradiated Graphite." Physical Review Applied 10 (6)
- Aghajamali, A., and N. A. Marks. 2018. "XENON RELEASE UPON THERMAL ANNEALING OF NANODIAMONDS: A MOLECULAR DYNAMICS STUDY." In 81st Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical-Society, Jul 22, 2018, Moscow, RUSSIA: WILEY.
- de Tomas, C., I. Suarez-Martinez, F. Vallejos-Burgos, M. J. López, K. Kaneko, and N. A. Marks. 2017. "Structural prediction of graphitization and porosity in carbide-derived carbons." Carbon 119: 1-9.
- Warschkow, O., J. M. Bennett, J. A. Miwa, G. P. Lopinski, F. Rosei, D. R. McKenzie, and N. A. Marks. 2017. "Benzene and Pyridine on Silicon (001): A Trial Ground for Long-Range Corrections in Density Functional Theory." Journal Of Physical Chemistry C 121 (19): 10484-10500.