Chandra is a marine ecologist and bio-acoustician working in a wide range of conservation and management topics.
Overall, Chandra’s career in marine related research spans 20 years, in which she has worked in academia and consultancy. She supervises honours, masters, and PhD students; coordinates and manages a wide range of projects involving the organization of field logistics with strict environmental, health, safety requirements; and supports the administration of the Centre for Marine Science and Technology as Deputy Director. Chandra has co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed papers; over 30 conference/workshop presentations; and over 70 technical reports. She has also been on television, radio, or in newspapers over 60 times.
- 2011 - present: Deputy Director, Centre for Marine Science and Technology, Curtin university.
- 2012 - present: Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Marine Science and Technology, Curtin University.
- 2003-2011: Research Fellow, Centre for Marine Science and Technology, Curtin University.
- 2002: Research Associate, Centre for Whale Research (WA), Inc., Exmouth, Australia.
- 1999-2003: Lecturer/Tutor (Casual), Department of Biological, Environmental and Chemical Sciences, Charles Darwin University.
- 1998-2001: Research Associate (Casual), Department of Biological, Environmental and Chemical Sciences, Northern Territory University.
- 1999: Research Coordinator, The Environmental Learning Center, Wabasso, Florida, USA.
- 1996-1998: Chemical Analyst (Casual), D.B. Environmental Labs, Rockledge, Florida, USA.
- 1992-1994: Research Assistant (Casual), New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, New Mexico, USA
Chandra’s most recent work focuses heavily on marine mammal ecology and behaviour, vocal repertoire, anthropogenic impacts on marine fauna, experimental design and statistical modelling of biological systems using currently available tools. Recent research and contract work have included topics such as assessing hearing damage to fish from seismic survey exposure, behavioural responses of dolphins to pile driving, response of whales to seismic surveys and tones, population modelling of whales, and statistical evaluation of patterns for individual identification of sea lions. Chandra also has worked in the area of marine estuarine ecology, plant-animal interactions, and restoration of mangrove forests. Example current and recent research programs:
- BRAHSS (http://www.brahss.org.au/) – Behavioural Response of Australian Humpback Whales to Seismic Surveys (co-investigator)
- SHBWC – a large inter-regional southern hemisphere blue whale photo-identification program (coordinator of the Indonesia/Australia/New Zealand region)
- SouWEST (http://souwest.org) – Southwestern Whale Ecology Study - categorisation and assessment of temporal variability in blue whale vocalisation in Australian waters (co-principal investigator)
- CEDP – Coastal and Estuarine Dolphin Project is a research program on bottlenose dolphins in the Swan River, Australia carried out in collaboration with Murdoch University (co-investigator)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Biology), New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (1994).
- Master of Science (Marine Biology), Florida Institute of Technology (1996).
- PhD in Marine Ecology, Charles Darwin University (2004).
Committees, Boards, and Awards
- Current -2008: Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Centre for Whale Research (WA)
- Current-2013: Registered reviewer, Australian Research Council Grants
- Current-2008: Past referee for “Hydrobiologia”, “Marine Mammal Science”, “Revista de Biologia Tropical”, “The Acoustical Society of Australia”, & “Marine and Freshwater Research”
- 2015: Media Award for Science & Engineering, Curtin University
- 2014-2011: Member, Leadership Group of the Australian Sustainable Development Institute, Curtin University
- 2012: Member, expert panel, CSIRO National Biodiversity Strategy on Impacts of Climate Change on Biodiversity 2012 report card
- 2011: Member, expert advisory committee, Marine Parks & Reserves Authority’s on proposed Camden Sound Marine Park (WA)
- 2002: Member, editorial board, NT Museum & Arts Gallery yearly publication; “The Beagle”
- 2002: President (NT), Australian Marine Sciences Association
- Osterrieder, S. K., C. P. Salgado Kent, and R. W. Robinson. 2017. "Responses of Australian sea lions, Neophoca cinerea, to anthropogenic activities in the Perth metropolitan area, Western Australia." Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 27: 414-435.
- Marley, S. A., C. P. Salgado Kent, and C. Erbe. 2017. "Occupancy of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in relation to vessel traffic, dredging, and environmental variables within a highly urbanised estuary." Hydrobiologia 792: 243-263.
- Marley, S. A., C. Erbe, C. P. Salgado Kent, M. J. G. Parsons, and I. M. Parnum. 2017. "Spatial and temporal variation in the acoustic habitat of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) within a highly urbanized estuary." Frontiers In Marine Science 4 (JUN)
- Marley, S. A., C. Erbe, and C. P. Salgado Kent. 2017. "Data Descriptor: Underwater recordings of the whistles of bottlenose dolphins in Fremantle Inner Harbour, Western Australia." Scientific Data 4
- Marley, S. A., C. P. Salgado Kent, C. Erbe, and I. M. Parnum. 2017. "Effects of vessel traffic and underwater noise on the movement, behaviour and vocalisations of bottlenose dolphins in an urbanised estuary." Scientific Reports 7 (1)
- Marley, S. A., C. P. Salgado Kent, C. Erbe, and D. Thiele. 2017. "A Tale of Two Soundscapes: Comparing the Acoustic Characteristics of Urban Versus Pristine Coastal Dolphin Habitats in Western Australia." Acoustics Australia 45 (2): 159-178.
- Parsons, M. J. G., C. P. Salgado Kent, A. Recalde-Salas, and R. D. McCauley. 2017. "Fish choruses off Port Hedland, Western Australia." Bioacoustics 26 (2): 135-152.
- McCauley, R. D., F. Thomas, M. J. G. Parsons, C. Erbe, D. H. Cato, A. J. Duncan, A. N. Gavrilov, I. M. Parnum, and C. P. Salgado Kent. 2017. "Developing an Underwater Sound Recorder: The Long and Short (Time) of It..." Acoustics Australia 45: 301-311.
- Erbe, C., R. Dunlop, K. C. S. Jenner, M. Jenner, R. D. McCauley, I. A. I. N. Parnum, M. J. Parsons, T. Rogers, and C. Salgado Kent. 2017. "Review of Underwater and In-Air Sounds Emitted by Australian and Antarctic Marine Mammals." Acoustics Australia 45: 179-241.
- Osterrieder, S. K., I. M. Parnum, C. P. S. Kent, and R. W. Robinson. 2017. "Difficulties identifying Australian sea lions (Neophoca cinerea) in the wild using whisker spot patterns." Australian Mammalogy 39 (1): 56-71.
- Marley, S., C. Erbe, and C. Salgado Kent. 2016. "Underwater sound in an urban estuarine river: Sound sources, soundscape contribution, and temporal variability." Acoustics Australia 44 (1): 171-186.
- Parsons, M. J. G., C. P. Salgado Kent, S. A. Marley, A. N. Gavrilov, and R. D. McCauley. 2016. "Characterizing diversity and variation in fish choruses in Darwin Harbour." ICES Journal of Marine Science 73 (8): 2058-2074.
- Ward, R., I. Parnum, C. Erbe, and C. Salgado Kent. 2016. "Whistle characteristics of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in the Fremantle Inner Harbour, Western Australia." Acoustics Australia 44 (1): 159-169.
- Mason, S., C. P. Salgado Kent, D. Donnelly, J. Weir, and K. Bilgmann. 2016. "Atypical residency of short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) to a shallow, urbanised embayment in south-eastern Australia." Royal Society Open Science 3: ---.
- Parsons, E. C. M., S. Baulch, T. Bechshoft, G. Bellazzi, P. Bouchet, A. M. Cosentino, C. A. J. Godard-Codding, F. Gulland, M. Hoffmann-Kuhnt, E. Hoyt, and 17 more contributors. 2015. "Key research questions of global importance for cetacean conservation." Endangered Species Research 27: 113-118.
- Osterrieder, S. K., C. Salgado Kent, and R. W. Robinson. 2015. "Variability in haul-out behaviour by male Australian sea lions Neophoca cinerea in the Perth metropolitan area, Western Australia." Endangered Species Research 28 (3): 259-274.
- Bouchet, P., J. Meeuwig, C. Salgado Kent, T. Letessier, and C. Jenner. 2015. "Topographic determinants of mobile vertebrate predator hotspots: current knowledge and future directions." Biological Reviews 1: 1-31.
- Osterrieder, C. Salgado Kent, Anderson, I. Parnum, and Robinson. 2015. "Whisker spot patterns: a noninvasive method of individual identification of Australian sea lions (Neophoca cinerea)." Journal of Mammalogy 96 (5): 988-997.
- Guimaraes Paiva, E., C. Salgado Kent, M. Gagnon, I. Parnum, and R. McCauley. 2015. "An Assessment of the Effectiveness of High Definition Cameras as Remote Monitoring Tools for Dolphin Ecology Studies." PLoS ONE 10 (5)
- Paiva, E., C. Salgado Kent, M. Gagnon, R. McCauley, and H. Finn. 2015. "Reduced detection of Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in an inner harbour channel during pile driving activities." Aquatic Mammals 41 (4): 455-468.
- Recalde-Salas, A., C. Salgado Kent, M. Parsons, S. Marley, and R. McCauley. 2014. "Non-song vocalizations of pygmy blue whales in Geographe Bay, Western Australia." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 135 (5): 1-4.
- Cato, D. H., M. J. Noad, R. A. Dunlop, R. D. McCauley, N. J. Gales, C. P. S. Kent, H. Kniest, D. Paton, K. C. S. Jenner, J. Noad, and 3 more contributors. 2013. "A study of the behavioural response of whales to the noise of seismic air guns: design, methods and progress." Acoustics Australia 41 (1): 88-97.
- Cato, D. H., M. Noad, R. Dunlop, R. D. McCauley, H. Kniest, D. Paton, C. P. S. Kent, and C. S. Jenner. 2013. "Behavioral responses of humpback whales to seismic air guns." In ICA 2013 Montreal, Jun 2, 2013, Montreal, Canada
- Holyoake, C., D. Holley, P. B. S. Spencer, C. Salgado-Kent, D. Coughran, and L. Bejder. 2013. "Northernmost record of Shepherd's beaked whale (Tasmacetus shepherdi) - a morphological and genetic description from a stranding from Shark Bay, Western Australia." Pacific Conservation Biology 19 (2): 169-174.
- Chabanne, D., H. Finn, C. Salgado-Kent, and L. Bejder. 2012. "Identification of a resident community of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) in the Swan Canning Riverpark, Western Australia, using behavioural information." Pacific Conservation Biology 18 (4): 247-262.
- Kent, C. P. S., R. D. McCauley, I. M. Parnum, and A. N. Gavrilov. 2012. "Underwater noise sources in Fremantle inner harbour: dolphins, pile driving and traffic." In Australian Acoustical Society Acoustics 2012 Fremantle: Acoustics, Development and the Envrionment, Nov 21, 2012, Fremantle, Western Australia: Acoustical Society of Australia.
- Salgado Kent, C. P., A. N. Gavrilov, A. Recalde-Salas, C. L. K. Burton, R. D. McCauley, and S. Marley. 2012. "Passive acoustic monitoring of baleen whales in Geographe Bay, Western Australia." In Australian Acoustical Society Acoustics 2012 Fremantle: Acoustic, Development and the Environment, Nov 21, 2012, Fremantle, Western Australia: Acoustical Society of Australia.
- Salgado Kent, C., C. Jenner, M. Jenner, P. Bouchet, and E. Rexstad. 2012. "Southern Hemisphere Breeding Stock D humpback whale population estimates from North West Cape, Western Australia." Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 12 (1): 29-38.
- Gavrilov, A. N., R. D. McCauley, C. Salgado-Kent, J. Tripovich, and C. Burton. 2011. "Vocal characteristics of pygmy blue whales and their change over time." Acoustical Society of America 130 (6): 3651-3660.
- Cato, D. H., M. J. Noad, R. A. Dunlop, R. D. McCauley, C. P. Salgado Kent, N. J. Gales, E. Kniest, J. Noad, and D. Paton. 2011. "Behavioural response of Australian humpback whales to seismic surveys." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 129 (4): 2396-2400.
- Duncan, A., R. McCauley, I. Parnum, and C. Salgado Kent. 2010. "Measurement and modelling of underwater noise from pile driving." In International Congress on Acoustics ICA 2010, Aug 23, 2010, Sydney, Australia: ICA.
- Salgado-Kent, C., and K. McGuinness. 2010. "Spatial and temporal variation in relative numbers of grapsid crabs (Decapoda: Grapsidae) in northern Australian mangrove forests." The Beagle. Records of the Museums and Art Galleries of the Northern Territory. 26: 79-87.
- Kent, C. P. S., and B. Crabtree. 2008. "The effectiveness of an established sanctury zone for reducing human distrubance to Australian sea lions (neophoca cinerea) at Carnac Island, Western Australia." Tourism in Marine Environments 5 (1): 29-42.
- Salgado Kent, C. P., and K. A. McGuinness. 2008. "Feeding selectivity of grapsid crabs from northern Australian mangrove forests." The Beagle, Records of the Museums and Art Galleries of the Northern Territory 24: 23-31.
- Kent, C. P. S., and K. A. McGuinness. 2006. "A comparison of methods for estimating relative abundance of grapsid crabs." Wetlands Ecology and Management 14 (1): 1-9.
- McCauley, R., and C. Salgado Kent. 2006. "Blue whale calling in Australian waters." The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 120 (5): 3266-3266.
- Salgado Kent, C. P., and J. Lin. 1999. "A Comparison of Riley Encased Methodology and Traditional Techniques for Planting Red Mangroves." Mangroves and Salt Marshes 3 (4): 207-213.
- Riley, R. W., and C. P. Salgado Kent. 1999. "Riley Encased Methodology: Principles and Processes of Mangrove Habitat Creation and Restoration." Mangroves and Salt Marshes 3 (4): 215-225.
- Kent, C. P. S., and J. Lin. 1999. "A comparison of Riley encased methodology and traditional techniques for planting red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle)." Mangroves and Salt Marshes 3 (4): 215-225.
- Riley R.W., J., and C. P. S. Kent. 1999. "Riley encased methodology: Principles and processes of mangrove habitat creation and restoration." Mangroves and Salt Marshes 3 (4): 207-213.
- Riley, R. W., C. P. Salgado Kent, and T. DeBusk. 1998. "The Riley Encased Planting Method for Planting Mangroves." Lands and Coasts -: ---.
- Salgado Kent, C. P., J. Lin, and C. Sewell. 1998. "A Comparison of Two Planting Methods for Creating Rhizophora mangle Habitat." Restoration and Management Notes -: ---.