Associate Professor Anna Ferrante is Head of the Centre for Data Linkage located within the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Anna Ferrante has over 25 years’ experience in research. With a degree in pure mathematics she pursued an early career in IT and statistics. In the 1990s she established several linked research databases including one enabling studies of re-offending and of the effectiveness of intervention programs aimed at reducing crime. An interest in crime and justice led her to complete a PhD in criminology and undertake research on many criminal justice and social policy issues. Anna has published widely on a number of social issues including drugs and crime, driving and traffic related crime, Aboriginal justice issues, domestic violence, juvenile justice, recidivism and criminal careers.
Anna was recruited by Curtin University in 2009 to establish the PHRN Centre for Data Linkage (CDL). Along with colleagues at the CDL, she has undertaken methodological research to improve the accuracy, efficiency and security of data linkage. Much of this work has been realised through the development of the LinXmart linkage management system. The CDL continues to offer data linkage services to support research and improve the health and social outcomes of the Australian community.
- Data linkage;
- Analysis of linked data;
- Criminal careers;
- Crime statistics;
- Juvenile offending;
- Developmental criminology.
- 2013 PhD (Criminology) University of WA Law School
- 1985 University of Western Australia, Diploma of Education
- 1984 University of Western Australia, B. Arts (Mathematics)
- Allan, A., C. L. Parry, A. Ferrante, C. Gillies, C. S. Griffiths, F. Morgan, C. Spiranovic, S. Smallbone, H. Tubex, and S. C. P. Wong. 2019. "Assessing the Risk of Australian Indigenous Sexual Offenders Reoffending: A Review of the Research Literature and Court Decisions." Psychiatry, Psychology and Law 26 (2): 274-294.
- Cordier, R., and A. Ferrante. 2019. "Engaging with big data: Occupational therapy needs to recognise the potential of using linked data to support evidence-based practice." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 66 (1): 3-4.
- Randall, S., A. Ferrante, J. Boyd, and A. Brown. 2019. "Privacy preserving linkage using multiple dynamic match keys." International Journal of Population Data Science 4 (1): 1-11.
- Brown, A., S. Randall, J. Boyd, and A. Ferrante. 2019. "Evaluation of approximate comparison methods on Bloom filters for probabilistic linkage." International Journal of Population Data Science 4 (1): 1-16.
- Boyd, J. H., S. M. Randall, A. P. Brown, M. Maller, D. Botes, M. Gillies, and A. Ferrante. 2019. "Population data centre profiles: Centre for data linkage." International Journal of Population Data Science 4 (2)
- Randall, S., J. Boyd, E. Fuller, C. Brooks, C. Morris, C. C. Earle, A. Ferrante, R. Moorin, J. Semmens, and C. D. A. J. Holman. 2018. "The Effect of Vasectomy Reversal on Prostate Cancer Risk: International Meta-Analysis of 684,660 Vasectomized Men." Journal of Urology 200 (1): 121-125.
- Randall, S., A. Brown, J. Boyd, R. Schnell, C. Borgs, and A. Ferrante. 2018. "Sociodemographic differences in linkage error: An examination of four large-scale datasets." BMC Health Services Research 18 (1)
- Tait, R. J., S. Whetton, M. Shanahan, K. Cartwright, A. Ferrante, D. Gray, S. Kaye, R. McKetin, K. Pidd, A. Ritter, and 2 more contributors. 2018. "Quantifying the societal cost of methamphetamine use to Australia." International Journal of Drug Policy 62: 30-36.
- Tait, R. J., S. Allsop, K. Cartwright, A. Ferrante, D. Gray, S. Kaye, R. McKetin, K. Pidd, A. Ritter, A. Roche, and 2 more contributors. 2018. "REMEDIATION AND PROPERTY VALUES: THE COSTS OF CLANDESTINE METHAMPHETAMINE MANUFACTURING IN AUSTRALIA.": WILEY.
- Whetton, S., R. J. Tait, K. Cartwright, A. Ferrante, D. Gray, S. Kaye, R. McKetin, K. Pidd, A. Ritter, A. Roche, and 1 more contributors. 2018. "HARMS TO RESIDENT ADULTS AND ADULT FAMILY MEMBERS OF A PERSON DEPENDENT ON METHAMPHETAMINE: COUNTING THE COSTS.": WILEY.
- Ferrante, A., F. Mitrou, S. Zubrick, G. Pearson, M. O'Donnell, S. Johnson, H. Milroy, and J. Carapetis. 2018. "Aboriginal life pathways through multiple human service domains; administrative data linkage for policy." International Journal Population Data Science 5 (3): 1087-1087.
- Spilsbury, K., D. Rosman, J. Alan, A. M. Ferrante, J. H. Boyd, and J. B. Semmens. 2017. "Improving the estimation of risk-adjusted grouped hospital standardized mortality ratios using cross-jurisdictional linked administrative data: A retrospective cohort study." Frontiers In Public Health 5 (FEB)
- Brown, A. P., A. M. Ferrante, S. M. Randall, J. H. Boyd, and J. B. Semmens. 2017. "Ensuring privacy when integrating patient-based datasets: New methods and developments in record linkage." Frontiers In Public Health 5 (MAR)
- Brown, A. P., S. M. Randall, A. M. Ferrante, J. B. Semmens, and J. H. Boyd. 2017. "Estimating parameters for probabilistic linkage of privacy-preserved datasets." BMC Medical Research Methodology 17 (1)
- Boyd, J. H., A. M. Ferrante, K. Irvine, M. Smith, E. Moore, A. Brown, and S. M. Randall. 2016. "Understanding the origins of record linkage errors and how they affect research outcomes." Aust N Z J Public Health 41 (2): 215-215.
- Randall, S. M., A. M. Ferrante, J. H. Boyd, A. P. Brown, and J. B. Semmens. 2016. "Limited privacy protection and poor sensitivity: Is it time to move on from the statistical linkage key-581?." Journal of Health Information Management 45 (2): 71-79.
- Boyd, J. H., T. Guiver, S. M. Randall, A. M. Ferrante, J. B. Semmens, P. Anderson, and T. Dickinson. 2016. "A simple sampling method for estimating the accuracy of large scale record linkage projects." Methods of Information in Medicine 55 (3): 276-283.
- Boyd, J., S. Randall, A. Ferrante, J. Bauer, K. McInneny, A. Brown, K. Spilsbury, M. Gillies, and J. Semmens. 2015. "Accuracy and completeness of patient pathways - the benefits of national data linkage in Australia." BMC Health Services Research 15 (312): 1-8.
- Randall, S. M., J. H. Boyd, A. M. Ferrante, A. P. Brown, and J. B. Semmens. 2015. "Grouping methods for ongoing record linkage." In First International Workshop on Population Informatics for Big Data (PopInfo '15), Aug 10, 2015, Sydney
- Randall, S. M., A. P. Brown, A. M. Ferrante, J. H. Boyd, and J. B. Semmens. 2015. "Privacy preserving record linkage using homomorphic encryption." In First International Workshop on Population Informatics for Big Data (PopInfo' 15), Aug 10, 2015, Sydney
- Boyd, J. H., S. M. Randall, and A. M. Ferrante. 2015. "Application of privacy-preserving techniques in operational record linkage centres." In Medical Data Privacy Handbook Gkoulalas-Divanis, A., and G. Loukides., 267-287: Springer.
- Spilsbury, K., D. Rosman, J. Alan, J. Boyd, A. Ferrante, and J. Semmens. 2015. "Cross-border hospital use: analysis using data linkage across four Australian states." Medical Journal of Australia 202 (11): 582-586.
- Jama-Alol, K., E. Malacova, A. Ferrante, J. Alan, L. Stewart, and D. Preen. 2015. "Influence of offence type and prior imprisonment on risk of death following release from prison: a whole-population linked data study." International Journal of Prisoner Health 11 (2): 108-118.
- Randall, S., A. Ferrante, J. Boyd, J. Bauer, and J. Semmens. 2014. "Privacy-preserving record linkage on large real world datasets." Journal of Biomedical Informatics 50: 205-212.
- Boyd, J., S. Randall, A. Ferrante, J. Bauer, A. Brown, and J. Semmens. 2014. "Technical challenges of providing record linkage services for research." BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 14 (23)
- Randall, S. M., J. H. Boyd, A. M. Ferrante, J. K. Bauer, and J. B. Semmens. 2014. "Use of graph theory measures to identify errors in record linkage." Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 115 (2): 55-63.
- Morgan, V. A., F. Morgan, G. Valuri, A. Ferrante, D. Castle, and A. Jablensky. 2013. "A whole-of-population study of the prevalence and patterns of criminal offending in people with schizophrenia and other mental illness." Psychological Medicine 43 (9): 1869-1880.
- Randall, S. M., A. M. Ferrante, J. H. Boyd, and J. B. Semmens. 2013. "The effect of data cleaning on record linkage quality." BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 13
- Goldberg, D. W., M. Ballard, J. H. Boyd, N. Mullan, C. Garfield, D. Rosman, A. M. Ferrante, and J. B. Semmens. 2013. "An evaluation framework for comparing geocoding systems." International Journal of Health Geographics 12 (50)
- Ferrante, A. M. 2013. "Assessing gender and ethnic differences in developmental trajectories of offending." Australian & New Zealand Journal of Crimininology 46 (3): 379-402.
- Ferrante, A. M. 2013. "Assessing the Influence of 'Standard' and 'Culturally Specific' Risk Factors on the Prevalence and frequency of Offending: The Case of Indigenous Australians." Race and Justice 3 (1): 58-82.
- Ferrante, A., and J. Boyd. 2012. "A transparent and transportable methodology for evaluating Data Linkage software." Journal of Biomedical Informatics 45: 165-172.
- Boyd, J. H., A. M. Ferrante, C. M. O'Keefe, A. J. Bass, S. M. Randall, and J. B. Semmens. 2012. "Data linkage infrastructure for cross-jurisdictional health-related research in Australia." BMC Health Services Research 12 (1)
- Ferrante, A., N. Loh, and M. Maller. 2010. "Assessing the impact of ‘available street time’ and mortality on estimates of recidivism." Australian Institute of Criminology Technical and Background paper series No. 35: 1-1.
- Ferrante, A., N. Loh, and M. Maller. 2009. "Assessing the impact of time spent in custody and mortality on the estimation of recidivism." Journal of the Institute of Criminology 21 (2): 273-287.
- Ferrante, A. 2009. "The use of data-linkage methods in criminal justice research: a commentary on progress, problems and future possibilities." Journal of the Institute of Criminology 20 (3): 378-392.
- Ferrante, A., F. Morgan, V. Morgan, G. Valuri, R. Woodman, D. Castle, A. Jablensky, and J. Clare. 2008. "Schizophrenia and offending: area of residence and the impact of social disorganisation and urbanicity." Trends and Issues in Crime and Criminal Justice 365: 1-6.
- Clare, J., F. Morgan, A. Ferrante, and H. Blagg.. "Assessing Relative Rates of Indigenous Family Violence: Using Existing Quantitative Data to Identify Rural Areas in Greatest Need of Additional Legal Services." Current Issues in Criminal Justice 18 Inpress.
- Jablensky, A., F. Morgan, V. Morgan, G. Valuri, and A. Ferrante. 2004. "Psychosis, crime and first onset of schizophrenia: A population-based study." In 12th Biennial Winter Workshop on Schizophrenia, Feb 7, 2004, DAVOS, SWITZERLAND: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV.
- Rosman, D. L., A. M. Ferrante, and Y. Marom. 2001. "A linkage study of Western Australian drink driving arrests and road crash records." Accident Analysis and Prevention 33 (2): 211-220.
- Ferrante, A. M., D. L. Rosman, and Y. Marom. 2001. "Novice drink drivers, recidivism and crash involvement." Accident Analysis and Prevention 33 (2): 221-227.
- Morgan, F., A. Ferrante, R. Broadhurst, and N. Loh. 1998. "Inter-Racial Offending Models: A Response to Reidpath and Diamond." Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology 31 (2): 196-203.
- Lenton, S., A. Ferrante, and N. Loh. 1996. "Dope busts in the west: Minor cannabis offences in the Western Australian criminal justice system." Drug and Alcohol Review 15 (4): 335-341.
- Ferrante, A. 1993. "Developing an offender-based tracking system: The western australia inois project." Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology 26 (3): 232-250.
- Ferrante, A. M., D. L. Rosman, and M. W. Knuiman. 1993. "The construction of a road injury database." Accident Analysis and Prevention 25 (6): 659-665.