Dr. Fearns has over 25 years experience in physics, environmental, remote sensing and life sciences. His recent work has included medical physics research comprising advanced image procesing methods and 2D/3D radiative stransfer modellig. His work has also included ocean colour remote sensing and in-water optical processes, reef and coastal habitat mapping, dredge plume monitoring, bush fire detection, and airborne vegetation mapping. He is a member of the Medical Radiation Science Discipline as well as the Remote Sensing and Satellite Research Group. The RSSRG has expertise in field-based collection of optical and biogeochemical validation data, processing and analysis of aircraft and space-based remotely sensed data, reception and management of direct broadcast data, and processing of very large data sets using High Performance Computing facilities. The RSSRG has a long history of modelling and algorithm development in atmospheric, land and ocean remote sensing. Dr. Fearns has been involved in all aspects of the Group’s research.
- Morris, T. E., P. T. Visscher, M. J. O'Leary, P. R. C. S. Fearns, and L. B. Collins. 2020. "The biogeomorphology of Shark Bay's microbialite coasts." Earth-Science Reviews
- Campbell, T., K. W. Dixon, K. Dods, P. Fearns, and R. Handcock. 2020. "Machine learning regression model for predicting honey harvests." Agriculture (Switzerland) 10 (4)
- Evans, R. D., S. K. Wilson, R. Fisher, N. M. Ryan, R. Babcock, D. Blakeway, T. Bond, P. Dorji, F. Dufois, P. Fearns, and 3 more contributors.. "Early recovery dynamics of turbid coral reefs after recurring bleaching events." Journal of Environmental Management 268 Inpress.
- Campbell, T., and P. Fearns. 2018. "Simple remote sensing detection of Corymbia calophylla flowers using common 3 –band imaging sensors." Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment 11: 51-63.
- Moustaka, M., T. J. Langlois, D. McLean, T. Bond, R. Fisher, P. Fearns, P. Dorji, and R. D. Evans. 2018. "The effects of suspended sediment on coral reef fish assemblages and feeding guilds of north-west Australia." Coral Reefs 37 (3): 659-673.
- Dorji, P., and P. Fearns. 2018. "Atmospheric correction of geostationary Himawari-8 satellite data for Total Suspended Sediment mapping: A case study in the Coastal Waters of Western Australia." ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 144: 81-93.
- Campbell, T., and P. Fearns. 2018. "Honey crop estimation from space: Detection of large flowering events in Western Australian forests."
- Dufois, F., R. J. Lowe, P. Branson, and P. Fearns. 2017. "Tropical Cyclone-Driven Sediment Dynamics Over the Australian North West Shelf." Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 122 (12): 10225-10244.
- Dorji, P., and P. Fearns. 2017. "Impact of the spatial resolution of satellite remote sensing sensors in the quantification of total suspended sediment concentration: A case study in turbid waters of Northern Western Australia." Plos ONE 12 (4)
- Dorji, P., and P. Fearns. 2016. "A quantitative comparison of total suspended sediment algorithms: A case study of the last decade for MODIS and landsat-based sensors." Remote Sensing 8 (10)
- Dorji, P., P. Fearns, and M. Broomhall. 2016. "A semi-analytic model for estimating total suspended sediment concentration in turbid coastal waters of northern Western Australia using MODIS-Aqua 250 m data." Remote Sensing 8 (7)
- Pearce, A., B. Hutchins, A. Hoschke, and P. Fearns. 2016. "Record high damselfish recruitment at Rottnest Island, Western Australia, and the potential for climate-induced range extension." Regional Studies in Marine Science 8: 77-88.
- Garcia, R. A., J. D. Hedley, H. C. Tin, and P. R. C. Fearns. 2015. "A method to analyze the potential of optical remote sensing for benthic habitat mapping." Remote Sensing 7: 13157-13189.
- McKinna, L., P. Fearns, S. Weeks, J. Werdell, M. Reichstetter, B. Franz, D. Shea, and G. Feldman. 2015. "A semianalytical ocean color inversion algorithm with explicit water column depth and substrate reflectance parameterization." Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 120 (3): 1741-1770.
- Reichstetter, M., P. R. C. S. Fearns, S. J. Weeks, L. I. W. McKinna, C. Roelfsema, and M. Furnas. 2015. "Bottom Reflectance in Ocean Color Satellite Remote Sensing for Coral Reef Environments." REMOTE SENSING 7 (12): 16756-16777.
- Cahyono, B. E., and P. Fearns. 2015. "Cloud cover correction of detected hotspots over Indonesia." Advanced Science Letters 21 (11): 3591-3593.
- Garcia, R. A., L. I. W. McKinna, J. D. Hedley, and P. R. C. S. Fearns. 2014. "Improving the optimization solution for a semi-analytical shallow water inversion model in the presence of spectrally correlated noise." Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 12: 651-669.
- Garcia, R. A., P. R. C. S. Fearns, and L. I. W. McKinna. 2014. "Detecting trend and seasonal changes in bathymetry derived from HICO imagery: A case study of Shark Bay, Western Australia." Remote Sensing of Environment 147: 186-205.
- Hedley, J. D., K. McMahon, and P. Fearns. 2014. "Seagrass Canopy Photosynthetic Response Is a Function of Canopy Density and Light Environment: A Model for Amphibolis griffithii." PloS One 9 (10)
- Garcia, R. A., P. Fearns, J. K. Keesing, and D. Liu. 2013. "Quantification of floating macroalgae blooms using the Scaled Algae Index." Journal of Geophysical Research 118: 26-42.
- Johnsen, G., Z. Volent, H. Dierssen, R. Pettersen, M. V. Ardelan, F. Søreide, P. Fearns, M. Ludvigsen, and M. Moline. 2013. "Underwater hyperspectral imagery to create biogeochemical maps of seafloor properties." In Subsea Optics and Imaging Watson, J., and O. Zielinski., 508-535 -: Woodhead Publishing.
- Evans, R. D., K. L. Murray, S. N. Field, J. A. Y. Moore, G. Shedrawi, B. G. Huntley, P. Fearns, M. Broomhall, L. I. W. McKinna, and D. Marrable. 2012. "Digitise This! A Quick and Easy Remote Sensing Method to Monitor the Daily Extent of Dredge Plumes." PLoS ONE 7 (12)
- Cahyono, B., P. Fearns, and B. mcatee. 2012. "Analysing Threshold Value in Fire Detection Algorithm Using MODIS Data." Aceh International Journal of Sciences and Technology 1 (2): 54-59.
- McAtee, B. K., M. Gray, M. Broomhall, M. Lynch, and P. Fearns. 2012. "Operational observation of Australian bioregions with bands 8-19 of MODIS." In XXII ISPRS Congress, Aug 25, 2012, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
- Dekker, A. G., S. R. Phinn, J. Anstee, P. Bissett, V. E. Brando, B. Casey, P. Fearns, J. Hedley, W. Klonowski, Z. P. Lee, and 4 more contributors. 2011. "Intercomparison of shallow water bathymetry, hydro-optics, and benthos mapping techniques in Australian and Caribbean coastal environments." Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 9: 396-425.
- Fearns, P. R. C., W. Klonowski, R. C. Babcock, P. England, and J. Phillips. 2011. "Shallow water substrate mapping using hyperspectral remote sensing." Continental Shelf Research 31: 1249-1259.
- Keesing, J. K., D. Liu, P. Fearns, and R. Garcia. 2011. "Inter- and intra-annual patterns of Ulva prolifera green tides in the Yellow Sea during 2007-2009, their origin and relationship to the expansion of coastal seaweed aquaculture in China." Marine Pollution Bulletin 62: 1169-1182.
- Lynch, M., J. Hedley, W. Klonowski, M. Slivkoff, G. Johnsen, P. Fearns, and D. Marrable. 2011. "Remote sensing of the eutrophic state of coastal waters via phytoplankton functional groups." In 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment - The GEOSS Era: Towards Operational Environmental Monitoring, Apr 10, 2011, Sydney, Australia
- Pearce, A., D. Slawinski, M. Feng, B. Hutchins, and P. Fearns. 2011. "Modelling the potential transport of tropical fish larvae in the Leeuwin Current." Continental Shelf Research 31: 2018-2040.
- Earp, A., C. E. Hanson, P. J. Ralph, V. E. Brando, S. Allen, M. Baird, L. Clementson, P. Daniel, A. G. Dekker, P. R. C. S. Fearns, and 6 more contributors. 2011. "Review of fluorescent standards for calibration of in situ fluorometers: Recommendations applied in coastal and ocean observing programs." Optics Express 19: 26768-26782.
- Broomhall, M., H. Chedzey, R. Garcia, M. Lynch, P. Fearns, E. King, Z. Wang, G. Smith, and D. Schibeci. 2011. "Ensemble dust detection techniques utilising a web-based workflow environment linked to a high performance computing system." In 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Apr 10, 2011, Sydney, Australia
- Gray, M., B. McAtee, M. Lynch, P. Fearns, and M. Broomhall. 2011. "Operational observation of the australian landscape with bands 8-19 of MODIS." In 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Apr 10, 2011, Sydney, Australia
- Chedzey, H., M. Broomhall, R. Garcia, P. Fearns, M. Lynch, E. King, Z. Wang, and G. Smith. 2011. "Processing smoke plume products from the moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer (MODIS) within a workflows environment." In 34th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment - The GEOSS Era: Towards Operational Environmental Monitoring, Apr 10, 2011, Sydney, Australia
- Liu, D., J. K. Keesing, Z. Dong, Y. Zhen, B. Di, Y. Shi, P. Fearns, and P. Shi. 2010. "Recurrence of the world's largest green-tide in 2009 in Yellow Sea, China: Porphyra yezoensis aquaculture rafts confirmed as nursery for macroalgal blooms." Marine Pollution Bulletin 60: 1423-1432.
- Koslow, J. A., S. Pesant, M. Feng, A. Pearce, P. Fearns, T. Moore, R. Matear, and A. Waite. 2008. "The effect of the Leeuwin Current on phytoplankton biomass and production off Southwestern Australia." Journal of Geophysical Research 113
- Klonowski, W. M., P. R. C. S. Fearns, and M. J. Lynch. 2007. "Retrieving key benthic cover types and bathymetry from hyperspectral imagery." Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 1: 1-21.
- Fearns, P. R., L. Twomey, U. Zakiyah, S. Helleren, W. Vincent, and M. J. Lynch. 2007. "The Hillarys Transect (3): Optical and Chlorophyll relationships across the continental shelf off Perth." Continental Shelf Research 27: 1719-1746.
- Fearns, P. R. C. S., and M. J. Lynch. 2003. "Modelling Ocean Colour."
- Klonowski, W. M., M. J. Lynch, P. R. C. S. Fearns, and L. Clementson. 2003. "Hyperspectral Remote Sensing of Western Australian Coastal Waters."
- Fearns, P. R. C. S., A. G. Dekker, and M. J. Lynch. 2001. "Modelling water-leaving radiance."
- Lynch, M. J., and P. R. Fearns. 2001. "A baseline study of Perth coastal waters."
- Majewski, L., P. R. C. S. Fearns, and M. J. Lynch. 2001. "Remote sensing of the ocean primary production of the Abrolhos islands region."
- Fearns, P. R., and M. J. Lynch. 1997. "Retrieval of chlorophyll concentration via inversion of ocean reflectance - A modeling approach."