Marina Ciccarelli is an Associate Professor in the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work, with a background in occupational therapy. Marina returned to academia at Curtin in 2000 after 10 years clinical work in the United States where she worked in the fields of ergonomics, occupational safety and health, injury management, adult physical rehabilitation and paediatrics. She is presently the Discipline Lead for Occupational Therapy at Curtin University.
Marina coordinates the capstone unit in the final year of the occupational therapy program and supervises honours, masters, and doctoral students in their research studies. When not involved in T&L activities, Marina researches in the area of children’s ergonomics, with a focus on promoting healthy use of technologies among children and adolescents, and in evaluating the outcomes of technology to improve participation among people living with a disability.
BSc (Occupational Therapy) (Curtin); GradDip (Occupational Safety & Health) (Curtin); MSc (Ergonomics) (Curtin); PhD (Curtin).
Children's ergonomics - with a focus on children's use of information and communication technologies
Application and evaluation of technologies to promote participation of people with a disability
Supporting people with autism to participate in the community
Injury management - workers' compensation and return to work outcomes
Scholarship of teaching and learning
Application of virtual reality in upper limb rehabilittaion
Enabling employability of people living with autism or disability
Workers' compensation and injury management
Occupational safety and health risk management
Member Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia
Member Computer and Human Interaction Special Interest Group
Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Registration with National Certification Board of Occupational Therapists, United States of America (OTR)
Member, Technical Committee: Ergonomics for Children in Educational Environments (sub-committee of the International Ergonomics Association)
Runner-up: Curtin University Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Excellence and Innovation, "Facilitating Partnerships and Engagement" award for Faculty of Health Sciences Interprofessional First Year Team; 2011
Australian Learning and Teaching Council, “Innovation in Curricula, Learning and Teaching” Program award for Go Global; 2010
Curtin University Faculty of Health Sciences Excellence in Teaching Awards "Innovative Assessment" 2007
Curtin University of Technology Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Awards "Excellence in Teaching" 2006
National Health & Medical Research Council of Australia - Public Health Scholarship; 2004-2005.
Co-ordination and teaching experience in undergraduate and post graduate occupational therapy units in the School of Occupational Therapy and Social Work, including:
Occupationall Therapy Research Project (Master of OT)
Research Design for Occupational Therapy (BSc and MOT programs)
Ergonomics and Safety Science 1 (OS&H)
Ergonomics and Safety Science II (injury management and vocational rehabilitation)
Coordinator - Evidence Informed Health Practice 100/130 (2011-2013) - Faculty of Health Science Common First Year program
Coordinator of the Occupational Therapy Honours Program (2008-2010)
- Morrisby, C., A. Joosten, and M. Ciccarelli. 2019. "Needs of people with dementia and their spousal carers: A study of those living in the community." Australasian Journal on Ageing 38 (2): e43-e49.
- Jia, A. Y., S. Rowlinson, M. Loosemore, D. Gilbert, and M. Ciccarelli.. "Institutional logics of processing safety in production: The case of heat stress management in a megaproject in Australia." Safety Science 120 Inpress.
- Hatfield, M., M. Falkmer, T. Falkmer, and M. Ciccarelli. 2018. "Process Evaluation of the BOOST-Aâ„¢ Transition Planning Program for Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum: A Strengths-Based Approach." Journal Of Autism And Developmental Disorders 48 (2)
- Wilson, N. J., R. Cordier, M. Ciccarelli, J. Maccallum, B. Milbourn, S. Vaz, A. Joosten, A. Buchanan, T. Mcauliffe, and R. J. Stancliffe. 2018. "Intergenerational mentoring at Men's Sheds: A feasibility study." Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 31 (1): 105-117.
- Hatfield, M. K., M. Ciccarelli, T. Falkmer, and Falkmer. 2018. "Factors related to successful transition planning for adolescents on the autism spectrum." Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs 18 (1): 3-14.
- Morrisby, C., A. Joosten, and M. Ciccarelli. 2018. "Do services meet the needs of people with dementia and carers living in the community? A scoping review of the international literature." International Psychogeriatrics 30 (1): 5-14.
- Wilson, N. J., R. Cordier, R. Parsons, S. Vaz, and M. Ciccarelli. 2018. "An examination of health promotion and social inclusion activities: A cross-sectional survey of Australian community Men's Sheds." Health Promotion Journal of Australi
- Hatfield, M., M. Falkmer, T. Falkmer, and M. Ciccarelli. 2017. "Effectiveness of the BOOST-Aâ„¢ online transition planning program for adolescents on the autism spectrum: A quasi-randomized controlled trial." Child And Adolescent Psychiatry And Mental Health 11 (1)
- Hatfield, M., N. Murray, M. Ciccarelli, T. Falkmer, and M. Falkmer. 2017. "Pilot of the BOOST-A™: An online transition planning program for adolescents with autism." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 64 (6): 448-456.
- Almberg, M., H. Selander, Falkmer, S. Vaz, M. Ciccarelli, and T. Falkmer. 2017. "Experiences of facilitators or barriers in driving education from learner and novice drivers with ADHD or ASD and their driving instructors." Developmental Neurorehabilitation 20 (2): 59-67.
- Bourke-Taylor, H., M. Ciccarelli, N. J. Wilson, R. Cordier, A. O'Connell, D. Lowrie, C. Adriel, and D. Clohesy. 2017. "Emerging professional practice areas." In Occupational Therapy in Australia: Professional and Practice Issues Brown, T., H. Bourke-Taylor, S. Isbel, and Cordier., 280-295 Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Hatfield, M., S. Falkmer, T. Falkmer, and M. Ciccarelli. 2017. "“Leaps of faith”: parents' and professionals' viewpoints on preparing adolescents on the autism spectrum for leaving school." Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs 17 (3): 187-197.
- Cordier, J., N. J. Wilson, R. J. Stancliffe, J. Maccallum, S. Vaz, A. Buchanan, M. Ciccarelli, and T. S. Falkmer. 2016. "Formal intergenerational mentoring at Australian Men's Sheds: A targeted survey about mentees, mentors, programmes and quality." Health and Social Care in the Community 24 (6): e131-e143.
- Hatfield, M., Falkmer, T. Falkmer, and M. Ciccarelli. 2016. "Evaluation of the effectiveness of an online transition planning program for adolescents on the autism spectrum: Trial protocol." Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health 10
- Vaz, S., Cordier, M. Boyes, R. Parsons, A. Joosten, M. Ciccarelli, Falkmer, and T. Falkmer. 2016. "Is using the strengths and difficulties questionnaire in a community sample the optimal way to assess mental health functioning?." PLoS ONE 11 (1)
- Hatfield, M., R. Parsons, and M. Ciccarelli. 2016. "The development and validation of the Healthy Computing Questionnaire for Children (HCQC)." work 54 (2): 389-399.
- Ciccarelli, M. L., K. Fraser, and S. Vaz. 2016. "Allied health management of technology-related musculoskeletal complaints among children and adolescents." Australian Occupational Theraoy Journal 63 (6): 399-407.
- Ciccarelli, M., and A. Hodges. 2016. "A personal digital assistant intervention reduced job coaching support hours without reducing work performance among workers with autism." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 63 (6): 441-442.
- Jia, Y. A., S. Rowlinson, and M. Ciccarelli. 2016. "Climatic and psychosocial risks of heat illness incidents on construction site." Applied Ergonomics 53: 25-35.
- Vaz, S., J. Cordier, S. Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, R. Parsons, T. McAuliffe, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Should Schools Expect Poor Physical and Mental Health, Social Adjustment, and Participation Outcomes in Students with Disability?." PloS One 10 (5): 1-23.
- Vaz, S., Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, A. Passmore, R. Parsons, M. Black, B. Cuomo, Tan, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "Belongingness in early secondary school: Key factors that primary and secondary schools need to consider." PLoS ONE 10 (9): 1-27.
- Vaz, S., M. Falkmer, M. Ciccarelli, A. Passmore, R. Parsons, Tan, and T. Falkmer. 2015. "The personal and contextual contributors to school belongingness among primary school students." PLoS ONE 10 (4): 1-21.
- Ciccarelli, M., J. Chen, S. Vaz, J. Cordier, and T. falkmer. 2015. "Managing children's postural risk when using mobile technology at home: Challenges and strategies." Applied Ergonomics 51: 189-198.
- Palmer, K., M. Ciccarelli, T. Falkmer, and R. Parsons. 2014. "Associations between exposure to Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and reported discomfort among adolescents." Work 48 (2): 165-173.
- Chen, J. D., T. Falkmer, R. Parsons, J. Buzzard, and M. Ciccarelli. 2014. "Impact of experience when using the Rapid Upper Limb Assessment to assess postural risk in children using information and communication technologies." Applied Ergonomics 45 (3): 398-405.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2014. "Posture variation among office workers when using different information and communication technologies at work and away from work." Ergonomics 57 (11): 1678-1686.
- Rosenwax, L., S. Malajczuk, and M. Ciccarelli. 2014. "Change in carers' activities after the death of their partners." Supportive Care in Cancer 22: 619-626.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. M. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2013. "Variation in Muscle Activity Among Office Workers When Using Different Information Technologies at Work and Away From Work." Human Factors 55: 911-923.
- Jacobs, K., J. Kaldenberg, J. Markowitz, E. Wuest, M. Hellman, A. Umez-Eronini, M. Arsenault, B. Walker, V. Hall, M. Ciccarelli, and 2 more contributors. 2013. "An ergonomics training program for student notebook computer users: Preliminary outcomes of a six-year cohort study." Work 44 (2): 221-230.
- Ciccarelli, M. L., and C. J. Campbell Harris. 2013. "Children’s Computer Interaction in Schools: A Case Study for Promoting Healthy Computer Use."
- Tran, T., and M. Ciccarelli. 2012. "Primary school children's knowledge of, and attitudes towards, healthy computer use." Work 41: 863-868.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Portsmouth, C. Harris, and K. Jacobs. 2012. "Promoting healthy computer use among middle school students: a pilot school-based health promotion program." Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation (SUPPL.1): 851-856.
- Zlamanski, R., and M. Ciccarelli. 2012. "Do teachers believe they are competent to promote ICT use among their students." Work 41: 869-875.
- Ciccarelli, M., and L. Irving. 2012. "Using digital learning technologies to enhance students' learning experiences in the first year of university." In Engaging students with learning technologies, 195-208 Australia: Curtin University of Technology.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. M. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2011. "Diversity of tasks and information technologies used by office workers at and away from work." Ergonomics 54 (11): 1017-1028.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. M. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2011. "ITKids Part II: Variation of postures and muscle activity in children using different information and communication technologies." Work 38 (4): 413-427.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. M. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2011. "ITKids Part I: Children's occupations and use of information and communication technologies." Work 38: 401-412.
- Straker, L. M., A. Campbell, J. Coleman, M. Ciccarelli, and W. Dankaerts. 2010. "In vivo laboratory validation of the physiometer: a measurement system for long-term recording of posture and movements in the workplace." Ergonomics 53 (5): 672-684.
- Guthrie, R., M. Ciccarelli, and A. Babic. 2010. "Work-related stress in Australia: The effects of legislative interventions and the cost of treatment." International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 33 (2): 101-115.
- Halkett, G. K. B., M. Ciccarelli, S. Keesing, and S. Aoun. 2010. "Occupational therapy in palliative care: Is it under-utilised in Western Australia?." Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 57 (5): 301-309.
- Ciccarelli, M., and J. Dender. 2010. "Contextual factors influencing early return to work in the rural and remote sector." International Journal of Social Security and Workers Compensation 2 (1): 17-27.
- Coleman, J., L. M. Straker, and M. Ciccarelli. 2009. "Why do children think they get discomfort related to daily activities?." Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation 32: 267-274.
- Ciccarelli, M., T. Goddard, and J. Merritt. 2009. "Minimising Mental Stress Among Workers: How Can Good Corporate Citizens Achieve This?." International Journal of Social Security and Workers Compensation 1 (1): 33-45.
- Vardi, I., and M. Ciccarelli. 2008. "Overcoming problems in problem-based learning: a trial of strategies in an undergraduate unit." Innovations in Education and Teaching International 45 (4): 345-354.
- Goddard, T., and M. Ciccarelli. 2008. "Working for others or as a private practitioner?." In Allied Health Professionals and the Law, 195-213 Sydney: The Federation Press.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2007. "How much variation does task rotation in the computerised office really provide?." In The 43rd Annual Conference of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia, Nov 26, 2007, Perth, Western Australia: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Straker, S. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2006. "ITKids: does computer use reduce postural variability in children?." In IEA 2006 Congress, Jul 10, 2006, Maastricht, Netherlands: IEA Press.
- Ciccarelli, M. 2006. "Developing professional competencies in occupational therapy students: linking student-centred assessment with learning outcomes." In 2006 Evaluations and Assessment Conference, Nov 30, 2006, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia: Learning Support Network.
- Ciccarelli, M., L. Straker, S. E. Mathiassen, and C. Pollock. 2006. "ITKids: Variation in muscle activity among school children when using different information and communication technologies." In The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia, 42nd Annual Conference. New Technology: Putting a macro & Micro into Context, Nov 20, 2006, Sydney, NSW: The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society of Australia.
- Wise, M., and V. Iris. 2005. "Using mastery learning to develop patient handling skills in occupational therapy students." International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 12 (7): 287-293.
- Ciccarelli, M.. "Sitting Down on the Job: The Ergonomics of Working Postures and Seat Design." In Safe Business. Good Business. A practical guide to occupational safety, health and insurance in Australasia Perth, Western Australia: Vineyard Publishing. Inpress.