Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, Curtin University, Australian Health Promotion Association, Board Member, Chair of the Research, Evaluation and Evidence Translation Committee (REET), Royal Life Saving Society WA, Board Member.
Justine worked as a Dental Therapist in private practice dentistry in rural and metropolitan Western Australia for over 12 years before commencing an academic career at the University of Western Australia in 2001. Justine has taught at the University of Western Australia in Health Sciences, and moved to Curtin University in 2008 to lecture in health promotion. Her current role at Curtin is Discipline Lead Health Promotion and Sexology, Senior Lecturer in Health Promotion, and a Teaching and Research Fellow with the Collaboration for Evidence, Research and Impact in Public Health (CERIPH). She focuses on evaluation of health promotion interventions specifically in physical activity promotion and injury prevention; health related mass media campaigns and their design and evaluation; with an emphasis on translational research. She is a member of the Mass Media Advisory Panel for the US National Physical Activity Plan. Justine is the co-founder on WADER-n the Western Australian Drowning Evaluation and Research Network.
PhD (UWA), MPH (UWA), BSc (Curtin)
2019 - current
Discipline Lead, Health Promotion and Sexology, School of Public Health, Curtin University
2014 - current
Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, Curtin University
2013 - 2018
Associate Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Public Health, Curtin University
2008 - 2013
Lecturer, School of Public Health Curtin University, Western Australia
Lecturer, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Western Australia
Curriculum Development Officer, School of Primary and Rural Health, University of Western Australia, Australia
Project Coordinator, School of Population Health, University of Western Australia, Western Australia
Osseointegration Coordinator, The Brånemark Centre, West Perth, Western Australia
Physical activity promotion across the life course
Drowning prevention across the life course
Mass media and commuincation
English Language and Learning
Physical activity and health promotion.
Oral Health Promotion.
2004 | Jan Watt Award for Excellence in Public Health Field Research, University of Western Australia
2012 | Ray James Award. This award recognises an individual AHPA member for excellence and innovation in health promotion research published during the previous year in the Health Promotion Journal of Australia.
2017 | World Conference on Drowning Prevention 2017, #WDP36 recognised as one of the 36 leading women in drowning prevention research.
2019 | Aspire Curtin University Professional Development Award.
Memberships and Service
2013 | Public Health Association Australia HP-SIG Co-convenor
2013 - ongoing | Board Member | Health Promotion Association of Australia (AHPA).
2015 - ongoing | Chair | Research Evaluation and Evidence Translation (REET) Committee AHPA.
2015 - ongoing | Board Member Royal Life Saving Society of Western Australia
2016 | International Drowning Research Alliance (IDRA)
International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA)
Australian Evaluation Society
Health Promotion Planning and Evaluation
Systems thinking and public health
Physical activity promotion
- Abercromby, M., J. E. Leavy, J. Tohotoa, M. Della Bona, L. Nimmo, and G. Crawford. 2021. "“Go hard or go home”: exploring young people’s knowledge, attitudes and behaviours of alcohol use and water safety in Western Australia using the Health Belief Model." International Journal of Health Promotion and Education 59 (3): 174-191.
- Bury, K., J. E. Leavy, C. Lan, A. O'Connor, and J. Jancey. 2021. "A Saddle sores among female competitive cyclists: A systematic scoping review." Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 24 (4): 357-367.
- Blackford, K., J. Leavy, J. Taylor, E. Connor, and G. Crawford. 2021. "Towards an ethics framework for Australian health promotion practitioners: An exploratory mixed methods study." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Leavy, J. E., J. Schwarzman, J. A. Smith, A. Storey, S. Menezes, F. Leaversuch, J. Judd, and F. MacMillan. 2021. "Online journal clubs: A new opportunity for the professional development of the health promotion community." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 32 (2): 155-157.
- Abercromby, M., G. Crawford, L. Nimmo, and J. E. Leavy. 2021. "“I never had a thought about drowning”. Exploring water safety attitudes and practices among older adults in Western Australia." Health Promotion Journal of Australia
- Blackford, K., J. E. Leavy, A. C. Vidler, D. Chamberlain, C. Pollard, T. Riley, M. Milligan, and J. Jancey.. "Initiatives and partnerships in an Australian metropolitan obesity prevention system: a social network analysis." BMC Public Health 21 (1). Inpress.
- Leavy, J. E., J. Jancey, C. Hall, L. Nimmo, and G. Crawford. 2020. "“A content analysis of news media coverage of drowning events in Western Australia over two summers, 2014-2016”." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 31 (2): 192-198.
- Jancey, J., G. Crawford, K. Hunt, C. Wold, J. Leavy, and J. Hallett. 2020. "The injury workforce in Western Australia: Findings from a cross-sectional survey." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 31 (3): 411-417.
- Doan, H. T. N., M. B. Hobday, J. Leavy, and J. Jancey. 2020. "Functional status, pain and return to work of injured motorcyclists involved in a motorcycle crash over one-year post-injury in Vietnam." Injury 51 (4): 924-929.
- Doan, H. T. N., M. B. Hobday, J. E. Leavy, and J. Jancey. 2020. "Health-Related Quality of Life in Motorcycle Crash Victims One Year After Injury: A Longitudinal Study in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam." Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health 32 (2-3): 118-125.
- Bury, K., J. E. Leavy, A. O'Connor, and J. Jancey. 2020. "Prevalence, Prevention and Treatment of Saddle Sores among Female Competitive Cyclists: A Scoping Review Protocol." Methods Protoc 3 (1)
- Casten, M., G. Crawford, J. Jancey, M. D. Bona, S. French, L. Nimmo, and J. E. Leavy. 2020. "‘Keep watch’ around water: short-term impact of a Western Australian population-wide television commercial." Journal of Public Health (Germany)
- Smith, J. A., and J. E. Leavy. 2020. "Celebrating 30 years of the Australian Health Promotion Association: Reflecting back to look forward." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 31 (3): 330-335.
- Bury, K., J. Jancey, and J. E. Leavy. 2020. "Parent Mobile Phone Use in Playgrounds: A Paradox of Convenience." CHILDREN-BASEL 7 (12)
- Della Bona, M., G. Crawford, L. Nimmo, and J. E. Leavy. 2019. "What does ‘Keep Watch’ mean to migrant parents? Examining differences in supervision, cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and water familiarisation." International Journal of Public Health Inpress: 01-8.
- Sorial, E., S. Si, L. Fritschi, E. Darcey, J. E. Leavy, J. Girschik, G. L. Ambrosini, and T. Boyle. 2019. "Lifetime recreational physical activity and the risk of prostate cancer." Cancer Causes and Control 30 (6): 617-625.
- Jancey, J., J. E. Leavy, C. Pollard, T. Riley, M. Szybiak, M. Milligan, D. Chamberlain, and K. Blackford. 2019. "Exploring network structure and the role of key stakeholders to understand the obesity prevention system in an Australian metropolitan health service: Study protocol." BMJ Open 9 (5)
- Darcey, E., G. Pereira, A. Salter, L. Fritschi, J. Leavy, G. L. Ambrosini, and T. Boyle. 2019. "The Impact of Lifestyle-related Factors on Survival After a Prostate Cancer Diagnosis." European Urology 75 (5): 884-885.
- Mangan, E., J. E. Leavy, and J. Jancey. 2018. "Mobile device use when caring for children 0-5 years: A naturalistic playground study." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 29 (3): 337-343.
- Jancey, J., C. Wold, R. Meade, R. Sweeney, E. Davison, and J. Leavy. 2018. "A balanced approach to falls prevention: Application in the real world." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 29 (2): 199-203.
- Enkel, S., L. Nimmo, J. Jancey, and J. Leavy. 2018. "Alcohol and injury risk at a Western Australian school Leavers Festival." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 29 (2): 117-122.
- Paudel, S., J. Jancey, N. Subedi, and J. Leavy. 2017. "Correlates of mobile screen media use among children aged 0-8: A systematic review." BMJ Open 7 (10): 1-12.
- Leavy, J. E., G. Crawford, R. Franklin, M. Denehy, and J. Jancey. 2017. "Drowning." In International Encyclopedia of Public Health 2. Quah, S. R., and W. C. Cockerham., 361-365 United Kingdom: Oxford Academic Press.
- Denehy, M., J. E. Leavy, J. Jancey, L. Nimmo, and G. Crawford. 2017. "This Much Water: A qualitative study using behavioural theory to develop a community service video to prevent child drowning in Western Australia." BMJ Open 7 (7): 1-7.
- Tobin, R., J. Leavy, and J. Jancey. 2016. "Uprising: An examination of sit-stand workstations, mental health and work ability in sedentary office workers, in Western Australia." Work 55 (2): 359-371.
- Leavy, J. E., G. Crawford, F. Leaversuch, L. Nimmo, K. McCausland, and J. Jancey. 2016. "A Review of Drowning Prevention Interventions for Children and Young People in High, Low and Middle Income Countries." Journal of Community Health 41 (2): 424-441.
- Reilly, T., G. Crawford, R. Lobo, J. Leavy, and J. Jancey. 2016. "Ethics and health promotion practice: Exploring attitudes and practices in Western Australian health organisations." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 27 (1): 54-60.
- Denehy, M., G. Crawford, J. Leavy, L. Nimmo, and J. Jancey. 2016. "Formative research to develop theory-based messages for a Western Australian child drowning prevention television campaign: Study protocol." BMJ Open 6 (5): e010033-e010033.
- Paudel, S., J. Leavy, and J. M. Jancey. 2016. "Correlates of mobile screen media use among children aged 0-8: Protocol for a systematic review." Systematic Reviews 5 (1): 1-5.
- Leavy, J., and J. Jancey. 2016. "Stand by me: Qualitative insights into the ease of use of adjustable workstations." AIMS Public Health 3 (3): 644-662.
- Leavy, J., G. Crawford, L. Portsmouth, J. Jancey, F. leaversuch, L. Nimmo, and K. Hunt. 2015. "Recreational Drowning Prevention Interventions for Adults, 1990-2012: A Review." Journal of Community Health 40 (4): 725-735.
- Leavy, J. E., M. Rosenberg, F. C. Bull, and A. E. Bauman. 2014. "Who Do We Reach? Campaign Evaluation of Find Thirty every day® Using Awareness Profiles in a Western Australian Cohort." Journal of Health Communication 19 (7): 853-869.
- Crawford, G., J. Leavy, L. Portsmouth, J. Jancey, F. Leaversuch, L. Nimmo, L. Reid-Dornbusch, and E. Hills. 2014. "Development of a Systematic Review of Public Health Interventions to Prevent Children Drowning." Open Journal of Preventive Medicine 4: 100-106.
- Leavy, J. E., A. E. Bauman, M. Rosenberg, and F. C. Bull. 2014. "Examining the Communication Effects of Health Campaigns: A Case Study Using Find Thirty Every Day® in Western Australia." Sage Open 4 (2)
- Barnes, R., B. Giles-Corti, A. Bauman, M. Rosenberg, F. C. Bull, and J. E. Leavy. 2013. "Does Neighbourhood Walkability Moderate the Effects of Mass Media Communication Strategies to Promote Regular Physical Activity?." Annuls of Behavioural Medicine 45
- Leavy, J. E., M. Rosenberg, R. Barnes, A. Bauman, and F. C. Bull. 2013. "Would you Find Thirty online? Website use in a Western Australian physical activity campaign." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 24 (2): 118-125.
- Leavy, J. E., M. Rosenberg, A. E. Bauman, F. C. Bull, B. Giles-Corti, T. Shilton, C. Maitland, and R. Barnes. 2012. "Effects of Find Thirty every day: Cross-Sectional Findings From a Western Australian Population-Wide Mass Media Campaign, 2008-2010." Health Education and Behaviour 40 (4): 480-492.
- Leavy, J. E., J. Heyworth, A. Middleton, M. Rosenberg, and M. Woloszyn. 2012. "Tap into Good Teeth - a Western Australian pilot study of children's drinking patterns." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 23 (1): 42-47.
- Leavy, J. E., F. C. Bull, M. Rosenberg, and A. Bauman. 2011. "Physical activity mass media campaigns and their evaluation: A systematic review of the literature 2003-2010." Health Education Research 26 (6): 1060-1086.
- Leavy, J., L. Wood, F. Phillips, and M. Rosenberg. 2010. "Try and try again: Qualitative insights into adolescent smoking experimentation and notions of addiction." Health Promotion Journal of Australia 21 (3): 208-214.
- Ambrosini, G. L., L. Fritschi, N. H. De Klerk, D. Mackerras, and J. Leavy. 2008. "Dietary Patterns Identified Using Factor Analysis and Prostate Cancer Risk: A Case Control Study in Western Australia." Annals of Epidemiology 18 (5): 364-370.
- Ambrosini, G. L., N. H. de Klerk, D. Mackerras, J. Leavy, and L. Fritschi. 2008. "Dietary patterns and surgically treated benign prostatic hyperplasia: A case control study in Western Australia." BJU International 101 (7): 853-860.
- Fritschi, L., J. Tabrizi, J. Leavy, G. Ambrosini, and A. Timperio. 2007. "Risk factors for surgically treated benign prostatic hyperplasia in Western Australia." Public Health 121 (10): 781-789.
- Fritschi, L., D. C. Glass, J. S. Tabrizi, J. E. Leavy, and G. L. Ambrosini. 2007. "Occupational risk factors for prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia: A case-control study in Western Australia." Occupational and Environmental Medicine 64 (1): 60-65.
- Leavy, J., G. Ambrosini, and L. Fritschi. 2006. "Vietnam military service history and prostate cancer." BMC public health 6: 75-75.
- Taylor, R., J. Matassa, J. E. Leavy, and L. Fritschi. 2004. "Validity of self reported male balding patterns in epidemiological studies." BMC Public Health 4