Dr. McGlade is an experienced legal academic and practitioner with special interest in Indigenous human rights.
My career has focused on justice for Aboriginal people, race discrimination law and practice, Aboriginal women and children, family violence and sexual assault. I have been a researcher, published writer and conference speaker and have held a range of professional positions that required my legal training and specific expertise in Aboriginal women and children issues. My Ph.D thesis received the Stanner Award for Excellence in Aboriginal research and was published by Aborginal Studies Press in 2012: 'Our Greatest Challenge, Aboriginal Children and Human Rights'
An experienced tribunal member, Dr. McGlade has been appointed to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, the State Administrative Tribunal and the Mental Health Tribunal.
In 2016, she was appointed the Senior Indigenous Fellow at the Office of the High Commission on Human Rights in Geneva, and as Senior Indigenous Research Fellow at Curtin University.
Formerly a member of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and CEO of the Aboriginal Family Law Services (WA).
Indigenous Human Rights, with focus on women and children
Aboriginal mental health and healing
Race discrimination law
Chairperson, Aboriginal Family Law Services (WA)
Member & Children's Champion, Family Matters WA
Member, Djinda Family Services Advisory Committee
Advisory Member to the Australian Law Reform Commission of Inquiry into Indigenous Incarceration
Member, Mental Health Tribunal
- McGlade, H. 2020. "Aboriginal women and the Commonwealth Government’s response to mabo-an international human rights perspective." In Words and Silences: Aboriginal Women, Politics and Land, 139-156
- McGlade, H. 2020. "My Journey into ‘Child Protection’ and Aboriginal Family Led Decision Making." Australian Feminist Law Journal
- Douglas, H., H. McGlade, S. Tarrant, and J. Tolmie. 2020. "Facts seen and unseen: improving justice responses by using a social entrapment lens for cases involving abused women (as offenders or victims)." Current Issues in Criminal Justice
- Longbottom, M., H. McGlade, M. Langton, and K. Clapham. 2019. "Indigenous Australian children and the impact of adoption legislation in New South Wales." The Lancet 393 (10180): 1499-1500.
- McGlade, H. 2017. "Reading Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence-Aboriginal Child Removal in 2017." WESTERLY 62 (1): 184-194.
- McGlade, H. 2012. "Our Greatest Challenge Aboriginal Children and Human Rights." Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press.
- Cripps, K., and H. McGlade. 2008. "Indigenous family violence and sexual abuse: Considering pathways forward." Journal of Family Studies 14 (2-3): 240-253.
- McGlade, H. 2006. "Aboriginal women, girls and sexual assault." Australian Centre for the Study of Sexual Assault Newsletter 12: 6-13.