BSW, MSoc Sci, GradCertResMGMT, PhD
I am interested in the development of knowledge and how it is used and applied in social work generally, but also in regards to critical thinking, assessment, decision-making and practice reasoning. This includes social work theory, social theory, social justice philosophy and practice, ethics, policy, and the development of social work education curricula.
- Parker, R., and D. Hodgson. 2020. "‘One size does not fit all’: Engaging students who have experienced trauma." Issues in educational research 30 (1)
- Goldingay, S., D. Hodgson, J. Boddy, S. Nipperess, and L. Watts. 2020. "Online and blended social work education in Aotearoa New Zealand and Australia: Negotiating the tensions." Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education 21 (2): 62-74.
- Goldingay, S., D. Hodgson, J. Boddy, S. Nipperess, and L. Watts. 2020. "Online and blended social work education: Outcomes, successes and risks." Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education 21 (2): 5-7.
- Watts, L., and D. Hodgson. 2019. "Social Justice Theory and Practice for Social Work: Critical and Philosophical Perspectives." Singapore: Springer.
- Hodgson, D. 2019. "Critical supervision for the human services: A social model to promote learning and value-based practice (book review)." Australian Social Work online: 1-2.
- Hodgson, D., L. Watts, and D. Chung. 2019. "Understanding and improving discretionary judgment and decision making in child protection practice: Towards a whole-of-system policy evaluation." Social Work and Social Sciences Review 20 (1): 109-127.
- Watts, L., M. Schoder, and D. Hodgson. 2018. "The Experiences of Human Service Managers in Contexts of Change and Uncertainty." Australian Social Work 71 (3): 306-318.
- Jau, J., and D. Hodgson. 2018. "How interaction with animals can benefit mental health: A phenomenological study." Social Work in Mental Health 16 (1): 20-33.
- Hodgson, D. 2018. "‘It’s a dangerous world out there’: The problems and limits of ‘risk’ in compulsory education policy and practice with young people." Journal of Applied Youth Studies 2 (4): 16-28.
- Hodgson, D. 2017. "Conceptualising the compulsory education policy apparatus: producing and reproducing risky subjectivities." Journal of Education Policy 34 (1): 117-132.
- Hodgson, D., and L. Watts. 2017. "What can moral and social intuitionism offer ethics education in social work? A reflective inquiry." British Journal of Social Work 47 (1): 181-197.
- Hodgson, D., and L. Watts. 2017. "Key Concepts and Theory in Social Work." London: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Hodgson, D. 2017. "Helping doctoral students understand PhD thesis examination expectations: A framework and a tool for supervision." Active Learning in Higher Education online: 1-13.
- Watts, L., and D. Hodgson. 2016. "Assessing the Needs of Carers of People with Mental Illness: Lessons from a Collaborative Study." Practice 28 (4): 235-252.
- Hodgson, D. 2016. "What do you want to do your life? Ethics and compulsory education." Journal of Education Policy 31 (4): 495-507.
- Hodgson, D. 2016. "Disciplining the conduct of young people in compulsory education policy and practice." Discourse-Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education 39 (1): 1-14.
- Hodgson, D., and L. Watts. 2016. "Four principles of good assessment practice: A teaching and learning approach to designing and assessing student work." Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education 18 (1): 8-22.
- Watts, L., and D. Hodgson. 2015. "Whole Curriculum Mapping of Assessment: Cartographies of Assessment and Learning." Social Work Education 34 (6): 682-699.
- Collins, N., L. Watts, R. Strauss, and D. Hodgson. 2014. "Paramedicine and Social Work: Case Studies in Authentic Student Recruitment." ECulture 7 (1): 32-41.
- Watts, L., and D. Hodgson. 2012. "Knowing that and knowing how: Building student confidence through skills assessment." Advances in Social Work and Welfare Education 14 (1): 75-88.
- Hodgson, D. 2012. "Pressing questions: Explorations in sociology." (6th edn.). Frenchs Forrest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia.
- Hodgson, D. 2011. "Policy rationalities and policy technologies: A programme for analysing the raised school-leaving age in Western Australia." Journal of Education Policy 26 (1): 115-130.
- Hodgson, D. 2009. "Pressing questions: Explorations in sociology." (5th edn.). Frenchs Forrest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia.
- Strikwerda-Brown, J., R. Oliver, D. Hodgson, M. Palmer, and L. Watts. 2008. "Good teachers/bad teachers: How rural adolescent students' views of teachers impact on their school experiences." Australian Journal of Teacher Education 33 (6): 29-43.
- Hodgson, D. 2007. "Towards a more telling way of understanding early school leaving." Issues in Educational Research 17 (1)
- Hodgson, D., and H. Walford. 2007. "Planning for learning and learning about planning in social work fieldwork." Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work 7 (1): 50-66.
- Hodgson, D., and K. McDonald. 2006. "Pressing questions: Explorations in sociology." (4th edn.). Frenchs Forrest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia.