Curtin Law School Practical Human Rights Governance Symposium Series
Practical Human Rights Governance Symposium Series: the Rule of Law and Aboriginal Incarceration
This year, to acknowledge the UN Human Rights Day in 2020, Curtin Law School seeks to increase awareness and dialogue about Aboriginal justice, imprisonment and human rights. Western Australia has high Aboriginal incarceration rates, possibly the highest of any nation, raising serious issues about justice and the rule of law.
This Curtin Law School Governance Symposium Series event will highlight the critical issues facing Aboriginal people in relation to the criminal justice system and the human rights law reforms urgently needed.
*Venue changed to Curtin University, 137 St Georges Terrace, Perth*
Date: Thursday 10 December 2020
- 8.30 am Registrations
- 9.00 am – 12.15 pm Event
Light refreshments to be served during registrations and following the event
Venue: Curtin University, 137 St Georges Terrace, Perth (view map)
Please note venue change
- Emeritus Professor Rosalind Croucher AM (President of the Australian Human Rights Commission) (Keynote Speaker)
- Professor Robert Cunningham (Dean and Head of Curtin Law School)
- Mr Dennis Eggington (CEO, Aboriginal Legal Service of WA)
- Dr Hannah McGlade (Associate Professor, Curtin Law School)
- Professor Suvendrini Perera (John Curtin Distinguished Professor and Research Professor of Cultural Studies in the School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry)
- Ms Alice Barter (Managing Solicitor inn the Civil and Human Rights Unit, Aboriginal Legal Service of WA)
- Ms Chloe Wood (Solicitor and International Human Rights Legal Officer in the Civil and Human Rights Unit, Aboriginal Legal Service of WA)
- Dr Jocelyn Jones (Senior Research Fellow and Program Leader, National Drug and Research Institute)
- Dr Mandy Wilson (Research Fellow and Program Leader, National Drug and Research Institute)
- Ms Sophie McNeill (Australian Researcher, Human Rights Watch)
- Ms Katrina Williams (Lecturer & Senior Clinical Supervisor, Curtin Law School)
Registrations for the Practical Human Rights Governance Symposium Series: the Rule of Law and Aboriginal Incarceration on 10 December are closed. Please note there are a limited number of places due to social distancing policies.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the event.