Student policies and procedures

Here you’ll find the relevant policies and procedures for Higher Degree by Research students.

To access the documents in pdf format download Adobe Reader.

Business cards

Higher degree by research students wishing to have a Curtin University business card are allowed to arrange for one to be produced, provided that this has been approved by the Head of Enrolling Area. An order for business cards must be placed through the relevant Enrolling Area administrator and student Consumables and Fieldwork funding may be used for this purpose. Upon completion of the course, students must provide any remaining business cards to their Supervisor for destruction.

Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research

In addition, for details on actioning a misconduct matter, please refer to Curtin’s Academic Misconduct Procedure listed under Academic Integrity/Academic Misconduct.

Complaints information

The Integrity and Standards Unit can assist if you have any concerns or need clarification/advice/support in relation to the lodgement of management of a complaint.

Copyright information

Curtin University logo usage

Higher degree by research students and staff wishing to use the Curtin University logo on documentation such as a research participant information sheet, consent form, or questionnaire are able to do so but must contact University Marketing via the online contact form to request a logo and to provide details relating to its intended use.

English language assistance

Fee information

Field of Research (FOR) codes

These 6-digit codes (not ending in “00”) are used by the University to report each year to the Department of Education and Training (DET) on the fields that Doctoral and Masters students are researching.

The Field of Research (FOR) codes have replaced the Research Fields, Courses and Disciplines classification (RFCD) codes.

OASIS information

OASIS (Online Access to Student Information Services) is Curtin’s student portal. Through OASIS, students have access to their student record (via eStudent), the Official Communications Channel (OCC), and a range of other online services including a student email account and learning support systems such as WebCT and Blackboard. Information relating to Library services, general news and the Student Guild is also available. General functionality of the main functions of the portal is outlined below.

  • OASIS: Link to OASIS website
  • eStudent: This is how a student accesses their student record online. Students can view and update personal details, access their study plan, enrolment details and results, and print off an Academic eRecord or Enrolment eAdvice. eStudent also has information on student fees (account balance). eStudent is accessible from the “My Studies” tab.
  • OCC: It is a condition of enrolment at Curtin that students activate their OASIS account and access OASIS at least once a week to read official communications from the University sent via the OCC. OCC messages are posted under the Welcome tab.
  • Email: A student’s email account can be accessed via the “Welcome” tab.

Plagiarism - How to avoid it

Turnitin – an electronic text matching system that can be used by students and staff which compares text in a student assignment against electronic text on the Internet, in published works, on commercial databases, and in assignments previously submitted to Turnitin by students in universities all over the world, including assignments obtained from ‘paper mills’ (Internet sites which sell student papers).

Travel and insurance


During the course of your enrolment, you may have reason to travel directly related to your thesis research. Travel you undertake may be for data collection or fieldwork purposes, or if you attend a conference. (Details relating to funding to support Consumables and Fieldwork, and Conference Travel for Doctoral students are found in the documents outlining Essential Facilities. For further information about fieldwork, visit the Fieldwork Education @ Curtin website).

Prior to arranging any travel, it is vital to consult the Student Travel website to ensure you follow the correct procedures for a safe and productive trip. All student travel, regardless of the source of funding, needs to be approved via the Student Travel Approval form before departure to ensure your trip is registered for insurance purposes. For further information on insurance and to view the coverage of Curtin’s travel insurance policy you should consult the Risk Management website.

Submit your completed Student Travel Approval form to the relevant Travel Facilitator who will ensure the correct booking procedures are followed. All travel funded in part or total by Curtin University must be booked through Campus Travel.

International Onshore students: please note that your OSHC medical insurance does not cover you when you are on fieldwork, attending conferences or other approved university business outside Australia so you must also obtain approval for travelling overseas as detailed above. Additionally, if you are leaving Australia for fieldwork or data collection, you are required to complete the Offshore Fieldwork and Data Collection form. You can obtain this form from the Student Service Centre in person at Building 101 or you can request it via email. You must return your completed form, signed by your Supervisor, to the Student Service Centre before your departure.


Insurance related to the following areas is offered through Curtin.

  • Corporate travel
    Travel insurance covers staff for domestic and international travel and students for international travel on authorised University business. Some details have been provided in the Travel section, but for additional travel information view the Travel section of the Risk Management website.
  • Liability insurance
    This cover protects Curtin, including its staff and students, against damages and legal costs incurred as the result of negligence which creates a legal liability to third parties for bodily injury or death and/or loss of damage to property arising from University activities. Third parties can be inter alia, any individual including students (but excluding staff members in the course of their employment) or corporations or entities of every description.
  • Medical treatment liability
    The medical treatment liability insurance cover is for activities in any health-related field involving third parties i.e. patients receiving treatment or on whom treatment is being demonstrated.
  • Personal accident
    This is offered to protect the University and its students and voluntary workers whilst involved in authorised activities. This may include fieldwork undertaken as part of a higher degree by research program. For further information about fieldwork, visit the Fieldwork Education @ Curtin website.
  • Property insurance
    All University property or property which the University is responsible for is covered by this arrangement which provides for physical loss and destruction or damage, except in circumstances specifically excluded under the cover.


For contact details, visit Curtin’s Risk Management website  or email