The Orientation Session for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students (doctoral and masters by research) sets the scene for research study at Curtin and includes hints for surviving your first year. It is also recommended that you attend other activities being offered around the university so you get familiar with the campus, your specific school/department and key areas such as the library.
HDR Students – Orientation Semester 1, 2018
Date: Thursday 22 February, 8.45am – 12.30pm, building 402, room 220.
Presenters: Various, led by the Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research Training.
See the attached HDR Orientation Program Sem 1 2018 [.pdf 213KB] showing the line-up of presenters discussing topics key to the success of your HDR experience. Included are presentations from the Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research Training, experienced supervisors, the Library, Curtin Careers; The Curtin Institute for Computation and the Student Guild (the Postgraduate Students’ Committee and the PG Mentoring Scheme).
HDR orientation resources
There are many areas across Curtin that provide services and support to both HDR students and supervisors, including the Graduate Research School (GRS). The GRS administers HDR related rules, policies and guidelines. Knowledge and awareness of these are essential for research students progress. The Orientation handouts and links on this Orientation resources page aim to give HDR students easy access to important information.
This page also provides external links to organisations that the University either has an affiliation with (e.g. the eGrad School) or which contains information that may be of guidance to research students.
Please note: This webpage provides links to the presentations and links to websites.
Handouts / Presentations – Semester 1, 2018
- HDR Orientation Program Sem 1 2018 [.doc – 702 kB]
- 01 – Overview of the HDR Process S1 2018[.pptx – 1,736 kB]
- 02 – HDR Orientation – Management of Research Data S1 2018 [.pdf – 2,652 kB]
- 03 – HDR Orientation – Curtin Careers S1 2018 [.pdf – 3,292 kB]
- Curtin Careers – Available in 2018
- 04 – HDR Orientation – PMP HDR Mentee Presentation S1 2018 [.pptx – 214 kB]
- 05 – CIC why computing programming – students S1 2018 [.pptx – 6,520 kB]
- 06 – HDR Orientation – Library S1 2018 [.pptx- 1,907 kB]
- 07 – HDR Orientation – Library GRASP Workshops S1 2018 [.pptx – 63 kB]
- 08 – HDR Orientation Supervisor Reflections S1 2018 [.pptx – 8,505 kB}
- 09 – Research Integrity S1 2018 [.pptx – 702 kB}
- 10 – HDR Orientation – PSA GUild S 1 2018[.pptx – 702 kB}
iLecture recording of the Orientation – Semester 1 2018
iLectures – Orientation Semester 1 2018 – due to the length of the session, it has been recorded in two parts: