International Sponsored Student Reports (ISSRs)
Access to the website reporting system for the International Sponsored Student Reports (ISSRs) is found via Graduate Research School Web Forms. The site will be open from Monday 19th October 2016 and close on Friday 14th October 2016.
From 2015, students in receipt of Curtin scholarships or sponsored by external agencies other than DIKTI or AusAID are no longer required to complete an ISSR. For further details, please read the section on FAQs before making contact with the Graduate Research School.
DIKTI or AusAID students
International students currently in receipt of sponsorship from DIKTI or AusAID are the only cohort required to complete an ISSR. This cohort, will be prompted via email to complete the ISSR. If you are sponsored by either of these two organisations, and any of the below apply to you, please complete a report.
- You have commenced your course of study before 1 July of the reporting year.
- You are undertaking coursework units only prior to being enrolled in the thesis unit.
- Your are currently on leave of absence and/or have been on leave of absence since the last ISSR.
Supervisors of sponsored international higher degree by research students currently in receipt of sponsorship from DIKTI or AusAID (including Interim Supervisors). However, in some cases, for example when a Supervisor is on leave, an Associate Supervisor or Co-Supervisor may complete the report instead.
- Students not currently in receipt of sponsorship from DIKTI or AusAID.
- Students who have not received an email prompting them to complete an ISSR.
- International students currently in receipt of sponsorship from DIKTI or AusAID, who have submitted, or intend to submit their thesis to the Thesis Examinations Office in the Graduate Research School (GRS) on or prior to 30 September of the reporting year.
- Students who have officially notified the University of their complete withdrawal from their course on or prior to 30 September of the reporting year.
- Only one supervisor report is required per student. Therefore, this responsibility lies with the primary supervisor only. If the primary Supervisor is on leave, an Associate Supervisor or Co-Supervisor may be requested to complete the report instead.
- International sponsored students should arrange to meet with their Supervisor (or alternate member of their Thesis Committee if the Supervisor is not available) to discuss their progress and completion of their report. To assist you, you can download the list of points to guide the student’s pre-ISSR discussion with the supervisor.
Note: If a student is unable to communicate with the supervisor or other member of the thesis committee before the due date, indicate the reason in the report at Question 13.
- Supervisors should meet with their international sponsored higher degree by research student/s prior to submitting their report/s.
- Associate Supervisors and Co-Supervisors (including Interim Associate/Co-Supervisors) may have to meet with their sponsored higher degree by research student/s if they are completing a report on behalf of a Supervisor who is on leave.
To assist you, you can download the list of points to guide the supervisor’s pre-ISSR discussion with the student.
International Sponsored students who do not submit their ISSR by the closing date of the reporting period will have their enrolment withdrawn and their status changed to Absent Without Leave (AWOL). The Faculty Graduate Studies Committee may recommend to the University Graduate Studies Committee that the enrolment of students who are Absent Without Leave for over six months be terminated (see Section 9 (b) and 16(a)(iv) of Rules 10 and 11).
Supervisors who do not submit an ISSR for their international sponsored student by the closing date of the reporting period will cause their student’s enrolment status for the next year to be classified as “pending” until such time as the report is completed.
If a student has submitted a document in confidence, detailing any concerns that he/she has regarding his/her candidacy (as Question 27 of their report), then these comments will not be presented to the Head of Enrolling Area for review and will be considered separately by the Associate Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research Training within the Office of Research and Development.
Note: A student’s entire report is not confidential, only the separately submitted document is considered in confidence.
Contacts for questions
If you have any questions about the ISSR process, please email GRS.CurrentStudents@curtin.edu.au and mark your email for the attention of Jo Boycott.
If you have any questions about sponsorship, or wish to contact someone within the International Sponsored Students Unit, please visit the International Office’s Sponsored Students webpage.