Graduate Research School services
The Graduate Research School (GRS) seeks to promote best practice in all aspects of postgraduate research, research training and provides quality support services for both Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students and supervisors. Key service areas of the GRS are listed below:
- Coordinates applications for admission with Enrolling Areas and Faculty Graduate Studies Committees (FGSCs).
- Informs applicants of outcomes.
- Facilitates student enrolments and provides welcome packs and relevant information.
- Assists the Research Scholarships team by facilitating scholarship applications during scholarship rounds (IPRS/CIRS and APA/CUPS).
- Notes approved applications on FGSC Agendas as required.
- Processes Variation of Candidacy/Leave of Absence/Extension/change to Enrolment status details once approved.
- Forwards School and FGSC approved Nomination of Examiners/Adjudicators forms to the Thesis office.
- Collates Candidacy applications for FGSC Agenda once approved by the School and process as appropriate.
- Collates Thesis Examination Report of Chairperson/ Request for Extension of Time for Amendments and/or Re-submission of Thesis for the FGSC Agenda once approved.
- Advertise and promote HDR scholarships opportunities on the Curtin Scholarships and Graduate Research School websites; postgraduate expos and Curtin Open Day.
- Respond to scholarships queries from internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinates internally and externally run scholarships applications, including internal selection panels.
- Facilitate standalone sponsorship scholarships agreements.
- Report scholarships activity to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Process Post Award requests such as extension request, paid/unpaid sick leaves, LOA and request for overseas data collection.
Thesis Examinations team Facilities and monitors the thesis examination process from submission to completion
- Process Thesis Submission from student and dispatch to examiner.
- Liaise with examiners to ensure timely return of reports and payment of honorarium.
- Anonymise examiners’ reports and forward recommendations to Thesis Committee. Process Approval to Graduate documentation, pass and notify student, Thesis Committee & Graduations Office. Co-ordinate final thesis binding and distribution of books. Prepare monthly report of Student Completions for University Graduate Studies Committee.
- Coordinates running of APR/ISSR round.
- Manages and maintains the Register of Supervisors database and web site information.
- Collects and collates documents in relation to the Termination and Appeals processes.
- Collects and collates documents in relation to Request for Extension of Time to Submit Thesis for approval.
- Provides advice on matters of procedure.
Research Training Officer Organises training sessions, seminars and online learning opportunities to support HDR students and staff
- Organises and promotes training/seminar opportunities relevant to the HDR students and their supervisors.
- Manages online modules offered by the Australian Technology Networks (ATN) e-Graduate school – the LEAP and MORE programs.
- Manages activities of WA AWARE (collaboration between the five WA universities) including the schemes iPREP, and InSPiRE conference.
- Administers the Research Integrity training on Blackboard for HDR students, including the Turnitin component on originality checking.
- Facilitates/assists on projects to offer new or improved training. In particular, to convert more face-to-face training to online training.
- Maintain and communicate up-to-date information using the following media:
1. Graduate Research School’s Seminars and training website including the HDR Update for Academic Staff.
2. HDR News on Student OASIS.
3. Direct email to staff and students.
- Provides reports to Faculties/Schools/Departments/Centres on a quarterly basis to document HDR landscape.
- Provides ad hoc reports, where readily available, to Enrolling Areas as requested.
- Collates annual HDR trends document for University Graduate Studies Committee (UGSC) and Academic Board.