Licensing and training

All projects involving radioactive substances, class 3B or 4 lasers, x-ray or neutron apparatus or UV transilluminators must be conducted under the supervision of a suitably qualified person with an appropriate WA Government issued licence.

The licence holder, who will preferably be the principal investigator for the project, must ensure that all radiation users have an adequate level of information, instruction, training and supervision to carry out their duties in a safe manner on a day-to-day basis and that the radiation work is conducted in accordance with their licence conditions and local radiation working rules.

Obtaining a licence

To obtain a licence it is necessary to:

  1. Pass an appropriate course accredited by the WA Regulatory body, the Radiological Council. (The latest list of courses can be obtained from the Radiological Council courses webpage).
  2. Fill in the appropriate licence application form. (Download from the Radiological Council licence webpage).
  3. Contact the University RSO to request a letter of support for your application (necessary for first time applicants only).
  4. Send the application to the Radiological Council together with payment.

The licences can be obtained for 1 or 3 years and the Radiological Council will send out a renewal notice directly to the licence holder just before their licence expires. If work is to continue the licence holder must renew their licence and submit a copy of their new licence to the University RSO. Contact the University RSO for assistance or further advice.

Training for unlicensed users

Other persons working under the supervision of a licence holder must have a level of training appropriate to the work they are conducting. This training can be one of the WA Regulator accredited courses or an equivalent level qualification. The licence holder must retain documentary evidence of the training of each user under his/her supervision.

For projects involving quantities of radioactive substances below an exempt limit, lasers with power below class 3B, other sources of UV, infrared, microwaves, radiofrequencies, magnetic fields, infrasound or ultrasound, it is not necessary for anyone to have a licence. If the equipment is used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions then it is sufficient to ensure users read the safe working procedures and risk assessments for the apparatus and undergo training on its use. The supervisor must retain documentary evidence of the training of each user under his/her supervision.