Acquisition, storage and disposal


A radiation project application or amendment must be submitted before any new purchase of radioactive material, class 3B or 4 laser, x-ray instrument or transilluminator. Some facilities may require modifications to accommodate certain radionuclide activity levels or types of equipment. For repeat orders of radioactive materials already covered by an existing project it is only necessary to inform the local Radiation Safety Supervisor (RSS) to ensure activity limits for the location are not exceeded.


If ordering radioactive materials from overseas it is necessary to obtain an import permit from the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA). Failure to obtain a permit will result in the shipment being held by Customs. The relevant form should be completed (leaving licencee name and licence number fields blank) and submitted to the RSO. The RSO will provide the University licence details and submit the form to ARPANSA. Payment is to be made by the group/department ordering the radionuclide(s).

Storage and usage

Every radiation laboratory is registered with the State regulatory authority to store or use a maximum activity of radioactive material or make use of a specific laser, x-ray or transilluminator. The RSS will have a copy of the registered limits and equipment. The University Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and local RSS should be informed immediately if radioisotopes in excess of the registered activity limits or new equipment is to be stored, used or moved to another University area not already approved on an existing project. In such an instance a radiation project application or amendment form must be submitted.


If any radioactive material, class 3B or 4 laser, x-ray instrument or transilluminator is to be disposed of or moved to another organisation the RSO and local RSS must be informed so that the registration details can be updated. The method of disposal is dependent on the type of material or equipment. For disposal of radioactive materials it may be necessary to store them to allow for radioactive decay. If so, a Radiation Waste Storage facility is available at the University for this purpose and can be accessed by contacting the RSO. The group/department disposing of the radioactive materials or radiation equipment is responsible for the costs of disposal.

Records and receipts

Records following the movement of radioactive substances and radiation equipment must be kept and regularly updated. Records must detail the properties of the substances or equipment, supplier, arrival date, use details, disposal method and disposal date. Comments could also be included on the form of packaging and perhaps the quality of the packaging. Signed receipts should be obtained where possible.