Transporting biological materials
Transporting biological materials is a regulated activity, and you must do it following the guidelines and regulations below.
Guidelines for transporting biological materials:
- Transport by walking [.doc – 26kB]
- Transport by vehicle (car, truck, bus, train) [.doc – 31kB]
- Transport by post or plane [.doc – 361kB]
Links to documents that regulate the transportation of biological materials.
- The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations
- The Australia Post, Dangerous and Prohibited Goods and Packaging Guide
- Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road and Rail
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO), International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code)
- The Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR), Guidelines for the transport of GMOs
- Packaging for surface transport of biological material that may cause disease in humans, animals and plants (AS 4834). (all Australian Standards are accessible through the library)
- United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods. Model Regulations